Draft day surprises

Doggin94it

What things nobody seems to be predicting do you see as likely?

1) eli harold goes in round 1. Too many people here are looking at him as a lock to be available in rd 2. There's not enough separation among prospects in that area of the draft and 3-4 pass rushers ate in demand. He goes toward the tail end of round 1

2) Melvin Gordon doesn't. When was the last first round with 2 rbs? The Chris Johnson draft? The league has changed, the position is devalued, and Gurley will be this year's only 1st rounder at RB.

3) DGB is not taken until day 3. Talent of a first round pick, but the risk profile and pr hit are too much for the current NFL environment. We lose our collective minds when the Jets pass on him 4 times and he ends up in NE

1) eli harold goes in round 1. Too many people here are looking at him as a lock to be available in rd 2. There's not enough separation among prospects in that area of the draft and 3-4 pass rushers ate in demand. He goes toward the tail end of round 1

2) Melvin Gordon doesn't. When was the last first round with 2 rbs? The Chris Johnson draft? The league has changed, the position is devalued, and Gurley will be this year's only 1st rounder at RB.

3) DGB is not taken until day 3. Talent of a first round pick, but the risk profile and pr hit are too much for the current NFL environment. We lose our collective minds when the Jets pass on him 4 times and he ends up in NE

3 RB's selected in rd one in 2012

I like DGB and think he winds up in NE or Cincy.

I've seen Harold make it to the first round in several mocks, so that's not a big leap. In most he's early second.

Gordon and Gurley are both elite backs and for teams that feel they are a piece away from playoff contention, that will tip the scale.

DGB? That one is anyone's guess. Raw, complicated, immature player with amazing measurables. How many times have we seen the scenario implode? He's a good late 2nd or 3rd round pick but not a first.

My surprise: same as many have speculated. Mariota will go a lot lower than expected. Not Geno type slide, but later first. If you look at their stats in college, Mariota and Geno share so many similarities it's frightening. Desperation may rule, as well as character and ticket sales, but Mariota shouldn't go in the first half of the first if anybody is being rational. Maybe the real surprise will be that he goes in the top five despite failing the scouting reports.

In other news, I think that Fowler should not go in the top five or even ten. He's a balanced player and strong against the run but not so great as a pass rusher. I think he will be just above pedestrian in the NFL. Another Jarvis Jones. Of course, if I'm wrong I'll claim a couple of years from now that I was drunk when I wrote this. :)

My surprise: same as many have speculated. Mariota will go a lot lower than expected. Not Geno type slide, but later first. If you look at their stats in college, Mariota and Geno share so many similarities it's frightening. Desperation may rule, as well as character and ticket sales, but Mariota shouldn't go in the first half of the first if anybody is being rational. Maybe the real surprise will be that he goes in the top five despite failing the scouting reports.

I don't think he makes it past 6 unfortunately

agree on the Harold one.

I see almost every 3-4 team linked to him in the 2nd round.   Which means somebody will probably have to jump on him in the 1st.

I think both backs go in first.  Too many RB needy teams this year.

Also think somebody takes a shot on DGB early.

1) I could see Eli Harold getting scooped up at the bottom of the first round.

2) I think Gordon is a lock in round 1, his worst case scenario is a team moves up from round 2 to snag him at the end of it.

3) DGB goes in round 2 and worst case round 3 either way that's day 2. Not a chance he falls to round 4, like you said he has the talent of a first round pick but is a bit of a risk (experts are saying there are only about 6 prospects this year with a first round grade)(not that that should mean anything)

Jaguars go WR at 3

Raiders go Leonard Williams at 4

Devante Parker is a top 10 pick 

Todd Gurley is a top 15 pick

Randy Gregory is a top 20 pick

Shane Ray is not selected in Rd 1  

Bernardrick McKinney and Denzel Perryman both go late Rd 1

Damarious Randall is picked before Landon Collins

5 to 6 WR's go round 1

I think thats why old Roger moved the draft out of NY , he was tired of getting booed by Jet fans and looking like an idiot.

Don't worry, he'll still be booed. And if he doesn't want to look like an idiot, he should stop with those awkwardly long hugs with the rookies; albeit it's more creepy than idiotic.

1) I could see Eli Harold getting scooped up at the bottom of the first round.

2) I think Gordon is a lock in round 1, his worst case scenario is a team moves up from round 2 to snag him at the end of it.

3) DGB goes in round 2 and worst case round 3 either way that's day 2. Not a chance he falls to round 4, like you said he has the talent of a first round pick but is a bit of a risk (experts are saying there are only about 6 prospects this year with a first round grade)(not that that should mean anything)

I cannot see how teams will pass on DGB. If he's there in the 2nd round, I think we should grab him.

He's gonna be a monster. He needs to improve in certain areas, but he's also not going to see a whole lot of playing time if we draft him. He can be Marshall's replacement in a year or two.

Draft him!

Would likely cost a whole lot more than that for a team to move up to number 6 overall.

I hope so but it depends on who is left at 6 

If the Jets do not see QB development from Geno or a draft pick then I want them to have the ammo to get a QB in the 2016 draft, could be some very good prospects and Mac and Bowles can not survive without an NFL QB

I hope so but it depends on who is left at 6 

If the Jets do not see QB development from Geno or a draft pick then I want them to have the ammo to get a QB in the 2016 draft, could be some very good prospects and Mac and Bowles can not survive without an NFL QB

They will be fine. We can be a playoff team with mediocore QB play as long as our defense lives up to its potential.

Archived