Sign in to follow this  
Jet Fan RI

Roger Goodell says Deflategate report should be released 'soon'...***updated 5/6: REPORT RELEASED*** (starts page 8)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-released-soon

Roger Goodell says Deflategate report should be released 'soon'

By John Breech | CBSSports.com

April 28, 2015 6:45 pm ET

If you've been holding your breath waiting for the Deflategate investigation to be released, you're probably not alive right now, but for the rest of us, there looks to be some light at the end of the Deflategate tunnel.

During an interview with "CBS This Morning" on Tuesday, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell told Charlie Rose that he expects the report to be released "soon." 

"I do think it will be soon," Goodell said. "We have a responsibility to the 32 teams -- not just the one team, to 32 teams -- and our fans and the general public here to make sure things were done fairly."

The league is definitely doing its due diligence.

The NFL announced in January that it was going to investigate whether or not the footballs used by the Patriots in the AFC Championship game were deliberately deflated. That investigation, which is being run by Ted Wells, reached Day 100 on Tuesday.

During the interview with Goodell, Rose asked the commissioner why the investigation has taken so long.

"I think it's hard because you want to make sure you have all the information," Goodell said. "It's not just whether the balls are properly inflated. The question is, one of things [Wells would] be asked to look for, 'Was it just one game?'"

Goodell did add that there's no suspicion that the Patriots played more than one game with deflated footballs. 

"There's no suspicion of anything," Goodell said. "What we're trying to do is try to make sure we're thorough. The most important thing here is, 'Was there a violation of the rules and if so, how did that occur?'"

Although the investigation has seemingly taken forever, let's not forget all the laughter Deflategate's brought us.

It'll be released after the draft, just like after the Superbowl, so it doesnt matter. 

Brady will go in as an unanimous 1st ballot HOF inductee.

You dont think that Spygate/deflategate will not have an impact whatsoever? Im not saying that he wont be 1st ballot, but unanimous? You dont think no one who votes is going to have have problem with this 15 year history? Serious question. 

5 years after Brady retires is a long time.

Who knows what the consensus of the writers who vote will be like at that time.

Hell, they have (absurdly BTW) kept Klecko out of the HOF for all these years.

Could have a few that would blackball Brady.

Okay, I just asked because you said it with such nonchalance. 5 years isnt long. Its not long enough for a guy like Barry Bonds. How many years has it been since Pete Rose bet on baseball? Look at A-Rod.

Tom Brady represents the face of a franchise that was part of two of the biggest team scandals in football this century. 

Tom Brady is one of the greatest QB's ever, but whats worst than actually taking steroids is actually having the physical ability but tainting it with stuff like this. Well, actually whats worst than that is watching the NFL allow this to go silent from the SB on to after the draft and for this to be released days after the draft. These guys have gotten crazy favoritism, so much so that the fans of the players can even see stuff like this and honestly think that it would be virtually impossible for Brady not to get in 1st ballot unanimous. And thats not a shot at you, you're a good dude, im speaking generally about patriot fans and the favoritism by virtually everyone involved with football when it comes to this classless cheating organization. 

I guess we'll see the reason why you guys have it so sweet when we see a slap on the wrist for this in comparison to what the team and coach of the Saints had to deal with a couple years back. 

Im about to put my popcorn in the microwave now because this is going to be entertaining lol. 

I'm already on my 2nd bowel of popcorn.

BTW, that was a good post.

Thanks. 

The rest of this offseason is going to be ridiculous. Do you have any feelings on what may be past down as a punishment? 

Brady gets suspended, Pats will lose a draft pick and Kraft will be fined.

You dont think that the league will suspend Belichick? I ask because the NFL has made the precedent with Sean Payton's bountygate situation, suspending him for an entire year for something that he said he didnt know about and there was no actual evidence to confirm that he had actual foreknowledge. 

How long do you think Brady will be suspended for? 

Also, I ask the questions because I really want to know what a Pats fan thinks about it, while also bringing up other occurrences as a reference. You're a more sensible Pats fan, I'd like to see if you think that your team may be dealt with differently than other team, even with the past history such as spygate. 

Nope, the report completely exonerated BB.

Not when this is the 2nd/3rd time that a team that you're coaching has been caught cheating. 

It gets to the point where obviously the "head" coach is the one setting the culture. BB should not be exonerated from anything. Like what the NFL said to Sean Payton during bountygate when they suspended him for a year "As the head coach Its your job to know whats going on with your team". 

• Upvote 1

Didn't they lower the boom on Payton for trying to cover it up?

From what I understood at the time it was all alleged. They didnt have confirming evidence that he had actual knowledge that it was going on. I could be wrong and just didnt hear it. Thats what I remember. 

Like I said earlier, the report completely exonerated BB. It's not like Sean Peyton where everything happened in his locker room.

I think Brady will get suspended for 2-4 games.

Pats will also lose a high round draft pick next year.

Okay, fair enough. 

For the record. You sitting on a Jets website and "holding yourself to the fire" when your team is dead wrong takes balls. I'll leave you be today and i'll take my shot at you once im on my next bowl of popcorn tomorrow! lol. 

Is that an actual quote?  Because if it is, there's simply no way you can let BB off the hook...

The quote was: "Ignorance is not a suitable defense. If  you didnt know exactly what was going on in your program, thats no excuse. You should have known."

That came directly from Roger Goodell. 

• Upvote 1

Wow, just wow...

Bellichick is going down!

Probably not, this is Belichick and the Patriots, ran by Kraft. The NFL swept this under the rug from the SB on to after the draft. Granted, the Patriots winning the SB especially in the fashion that they did helped ALOT to tame the flames, but I wouldnt be surprised if he wasnt punished. The Patriot organization runs the NFL. It's to the point where players will go on camera during a SB presser and say something like this. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gjb58ClNb0

To us fans this is total primetime entertainment, but if you really think about what Richard Sherman just did. That indictment speaks volumes because it shows that this isnt just "hate" towards a football team thats just good. This team and organization leaves quite the sour taste in the mouth of alot of important people, even beyond the players. And there's no reason for Sherman to hate. Seahawks have owned the Pats the past few years leading up to the superbowl. 

Having this type of sentiment throughout the league isnt good, yet here we are. And for that reason, I feel that the Patriots have a massive influence over the NFL, because they surely act above the law with no repercussions. 

I don't think that's what led to Payton's suspension, however.  I don't think that there is strict vicarious liability for the HC anytime there is a violation by someone on his team.  I think the precedential weight being given to the Bountygate penalties in this thread is probably misplaced.

I don't remember the details myself, but here is what ESPN said about it at the time:

According to the league, Payton ignored instructions from the NFL and Saints ownership to make sure bounties weren't being paid. The league also chastised him for choosing to "falsely deny that the program existed," and for trying to "encourage the false denials by instructing assistants to 'make sure our ducks are in a row.' "

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7718136/sean-payton-new-orleans-saints-banned-one-year-bounties

What I know is what Goodell mentioned during the suspension. Whether or not that statement was the reason for the suspension isnt the point, the point was the actual statement itself. He said that ignorance is not a suitable defense and its not an excuse. 

BB is a guy who seems to have a football team who will cheat with or without his knowledge. Given the history this should be looked at from a lens that this team under this coach is a multiple offender of league rules, undermining the integrity of the game. Thats one of the worst things you could do. 

Since 2004, the Pats and Seahawks have played 4 times.

In those games, the Seahawks are 1-3 against the Pats.

That is quite some ownage.

No one cares about 2004, Since Russell WIlson has been in the league and has played the Patriots in the reg season they're undefeated. 

that is ownage when you're dealing with a team that probably cheated in that game somehow. 

That's the equivalent of saying the Jets are undefeated in the Super Bowl.

One game is totally irrelevant and meaningless.

The Jets are undefeated in the superbowl my friend. 

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company