Sign in to follow this  
Jet Fan RI

Roger Goodell says Deflategate report should be released 'soon'...***updated 5/6: REPORT RELEASED*** (starts page 8)

Precisely. But not hitting them if they deserve it would really be a lack of integrity.

I think it's pretty clear they deserve it.  They purposely deflated footballs to gain an illegal competitive advantage - and it sounds like they were doing it for years.  Problem for the NFL is how to dole out punishment.

If they truly believe they cheated they would have to hammer them with very serious penalties - multiple draft picks and likely a year suspension for BB....but they're not going to do that to the superbowl champ and BB - but a small penalty for such a serious violation would come across as BS - saying they cheated but we're only taking a 4th round pick next year.  That would harm the integrity of the game worse...

realistically the only thing the league can do is to say they did nothing wrong - or something along the lines of "we found no evidence to show that there was any wrongdoing"

If anyone is expecting anything other than that - I think you're going to be disappointed.

I, for one, will be officially done with the Roger Goodell NFL - but the league mostly won't be harmed.

while i don't believe it was a mistake/accident/coincidence that 11 out of 12 or whatever balls were flat, i do agree with you the punishment will be minor/non-existent. fine for not following league protocols and procedures is my guess. even if goodell was convinced pats did something, calling the championship game's legitamacy into question is bad for the brand and preventing that is his job numero uno that he is paid $20M+ a year to do.

I agree that there's no way the league can admit the Super Bowl champs cheater.  But I think they'll be cleared of any wrong doing.  Something along the lines of "We saw no proof to suggest the Patriots purposely deflated the balls in that game or any others in the past"

That will be the end of it - Pats won't gloat or demand an apology - that will be Kraft's punishment (although Pat fans will) 

I think most Jets fans know Pats are going to get off scot free

I think the only hope of a legitimate penalty is the other 31 owners.  Yes, it will harm PR of the league but is there a point where they say - F-that, we've had enough of this S-bag cheating! If Goodell truly felt there would be enough owners to get him fired  - the decision might be legitimate.

Ultimately I think the owners will give-in but that's the only hope I have.

It's funny how ignorance wasn't a defense for Sean Payton a few years ago but is all of a sudden a valid defense for Belichick.

BB will get suspended.  No way they come out with a report like this and don't suspend BB....

Payton's suspension has set that precedent.  Brady, Belly (even a game each) and a pick (at least a 3rd) - that's going to happen and I'll be satisfied, anything less will be too low.

• Upvote 1

So this is from the report?  The report that says he might have known?

They don't have a smoking gun - but it's pretty obvious to the people filing the report.  That's the way I read it.

He cheated, end of discussion.  And when he gets suspended it will verify the point.

From page 18 of the report, this certainly appears to be Brady orchestrating a cover up:

Additional evidence of Brady‟s awareness includes a material increase in the frequency of telephone and text communications between Brady and Jastremski shortly after suspicions of ball tampering became public on January 19. After not communicating by telephone or text message for more than six months (based on data retrieved from Jastremski‟s cell phone), Brady and Jastremski spoke by telephone at least twice on January 19 (calls lasting a total of 25 minutes and 2 seconds), twice on January 20 (calls lasting a total of 9 minutes and 55 seconds) and twice on January 21 (calls lasting a total of 20 minutes and 52 seconds) before Jastremski surrendered his cell phone to the Patriots later that day for forensic imaging. These calls included conversations relatively early during the mornings of January 19 (7:26 a.m. for 13 minutes and 4 seconds), January 20 (8:22 a.m. for 6 minutes and 21 seconds) and January 21 (7:38 a.m. for 13 minutes and 47 seconds). Brady also took the unprecedented step of inviting Jastremski to the QB room (essentially Brady‟s office) in Gillette Stadium on January 19 for the first and only time that Jastremski can recall during his twenty-year career with the Patriots, and Brady sent Jastremski text messages seemingly designed to calm Jastremski (“You good Jonny boy?”; “You doing good?”). For his part, Jastremski sent Brady text messages confirming that he was okay (“Still nervous; so far so good though”) and cautioning Brady about questioning (“FYI...Dave will be picking your brain later about it. He‟s not accusing me, or anyone...trying to get to bottom of it. He knows it‟s unrealistic you did it yourself...”).

Wow, Brady is not only a cheater, but stupid too...

• Upvote 2

Guilt has clearly been established as well as a franchise wide attempt at a cover-up....

Only question now is what will be penalties?

7th rounder next year, then award Pats an extra 6th rd comp pick.

Honestly that report is pretty damning.  I think the penalties are going to be relatively strong.  My guess is both Brady and BB get suspensions (short ones but suspensions nonetheless) and at least a 3rd rounder.

With that report those have to be the minimums.

Franchise wide!? Really? You got text messages from a equipment manager n probably the QB and that means the whole franchise was in on it? Emmm..ok.

before Jastremski surrendered his cell phone to the Patriots later that day for forensic imaging

Tom Brady suspended one year, Bill Bellichek suspended 6 games!

What it should be.

Pats penalized, no salami at the post-game food table for week 1.

What it will be.

That is exactly what it should be.  Tom Brady should not be able to play a game next year and BB should be a minimum of a 4 games....#1 pick....

But any suspension for both I would be okay with - signals a ruling by the league that they are guilty and not "probably"

And the Pats still easily win the AFCE.

No big deal whatsoever.

Pats without Brady will be a sub .500 team - as BB IS as a HC....

The more and more i read this report the more it becomes apparent that Tom Brady and the Patriots did their best to no co-operate with the investigation.

Brady did not submit his phone as required.

Pats counsel denied to make McNally available for a follow up interview which was sought by the investigators.

Then i read Robert Kraft's reaction "“Throughout the process of this nearly four-month investigation, we have cooperated and patiently awaited its outcome."

And the rest of Kraft's press statement was disgraceful.  There is no way to look at the report and come up with any other conclusion than they cheated and Brady orchestrated it.

he should be embarrassed for continuing this level of denial.

we seen it in the superbowl...he beat the best defense in the league and won another ring!

ha ha

threw 2 INT's...

These Patsy trolls are funny. Like circus clowns. It looks like there will be suspensions. Some of those texts are unreal. The other shoe is about to drop.

A season each for Brady and Bellichick and a 1st rounder.

Has to be equivalent to the Saints...otherwise it's weak.

Prediction - Brady gets suspended for a year and decides to retire.

Kraft's entire statement presented below with no comment.

New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft issued the following statement Wednesday regarding the Wells report:

“When I addressed the media at the Super Bowl on January 26 -- over 14 weeks ago -- I stated that I unconditionally believed that the New England Patriots had done nothing inappropriate in this process or in violation of the NFL rules and that I was disappointed in the way the league handled the initial investigation. That sentiment has not changed.

“I was convinced that Ted Wells’ investigation would find the same factual evidence supported by both scientific formula and independent research as we did and would ultimately exonerate the Patriots. Based on the explanations I have heard and the studies that have been done, I don’t know how the science of atmospheric conditions can be refuted or how conclusions to the contrary can be drawn without some definitive evidence.

“What is not highlighted in the text of the report is that three of the Colts’ four footballs measured by at least one official were under the required psi level. As far as we are aware, there is no comparable data available from any other game because, in the history of the NFL, psi levels of footballs have never been measured at halftime, in any climate. If they had been, based on what we now know, it is safe to assume that every cold-weather game was played with under-inflated footballs. As compelling a case as the Wells Report may try to make, I am going to rely on the factual evidence of numerous scientists and engineers rather than inferences from circumstantial evidence.

“Throughout the process of this nearly four-month investigation, we have cooperated and patiently awaited its outcome. To say we are disappointed in its findings, which do not include any incontrovertible or hard evidence of deliberate deflation of footballs at the AFC Championship Game, would be a gross understatement. In addition, given our level of cooperation throughout the process, I was offended by the comments made in the Wells Report in reference to not making an individual available for a follow-up interview. What the report fails to mention is that he had already been interviewed four times and we felt the fifth request for access was excessive for a part-time game day employee who has a full-time job with another employer.

“While I respect the independent process of the investigation, the time, effort and resources expended to reach this conclusion are incomprehensible to me. Knowing that there is no real recourse available, fighting the league and extending this debate would prove to be futile. We understand and greatly respect the responsibility of being one of 32 in this league and, on that basis, we will accept the findings of the report and take the appropriate actions based on those findings as well as any discipline levied by the league.”

Sounds like a petulant child that got his hand caught in the cookie jar.

Be a man Kraft...sickening.

• Upvote 3

The lack of accountability by an owner of an NFL franchise is discraceful.

• Upvote 1

Would absolutely love this to happen, but will not happen.  He is too much of an asset to the NFL.  He will get a wrist-slap.  But I would also like to see draft pick(s).

While I would have agreed with what your saying just a a few hours ago - I expected this report to be a joke essentially clearing the Pats....

This report is really damning...It's hard to imagine a light suspension at this point.  The SuperBowl MVP purposely maninpulated a football to gain a substantial advantage, lied to a national TV audience about it and then tried to cover it up....

If the report was allowed to come out as is - they're going to suspend him with a fair penalty - that has to be a full season.

Absolutely agree on both points. Were you among those who have been saying nothing will happen to the Pats, before the report appeared? I honestly cannot recall. And it would be impressive if the report contents turned you around on that opinion.

Yes...I was absolutely one that thought nothing would come of it...But I thought the report would be BS...

This report is real and bad for Brady and the Pats - which leads me to believe the suspensions will be real.

This is awesome...suspend Brady for a year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, I gotta admit -  I'm pretty happy right now...

I'll be happier when Bellichick and Brady get a year and they lose a #1

• Upvote 1

A draft pick is a possibility but I doubt there's a suspension.

The SuperBowl MVP CHEATED, lied about it and then tried to cover it up...

That's a serious suspension.  No way around it.

• Upvote 1

I'm loving ESPN right now. Brady stood in front of a national audience and lied through his teeth

I can't get to a TV - ESPN is coming out against the Pats and not protecting them?

If that's true - awesome.

They keep looping that presser he had before the Super Bowl where he lied

F-in Fantastic!!!

Any time a parent comes out defending their kid is inevitable that they are going to look dopey.  He really should keep his mouth shut and let the conclusion seep in over time that his son is a cheater.

This makes Brady even more of a douche....Allowing his father to make a fool of himself in protecting him.

Brady should act like a man, suck it up...Admit what he did and apologize for it.  America is forgiving.  The continued denials will turn him into A-Rod.

Today is an amazing day!!

I couldn't agree more.

It's worth them winning again to see them have this happen to them....

the way I see it, there are 2 precedents to factor in here;

spygate - punishment was for the "hubris" of doing something a week after being told not to in a written memo as much as the basic scummy nature of spying

and

bountygate - the HC is responsible for everything that happens.  everything.  ignorance is no excuse

I can't see how belicheat escapes punishment here

add to that brady's miserable performance of lying to the nation

add to that 2 rules changes that had to be made at the winter meetings because of patriot shenanigans

it has to stop.  they have to be dealt with.  enough is enough

Here's what I think is going to happen (and has already happened) The other owners have had enough and they put enough pressure on Goodell to treat this investigation cleanly.  This is clearly not a white wash and demands strong and obvious penalties.  They will be handed out strongly here.

I won't be surprised if they both get a year and lose a #1...

This is worse than BountyGate..

• Upvote 1

I love how Pats fans go from abject denial to justification.  Wonder boy got caught with his hand in the cookie jar and lied about it.  The lies will cost him more than the act I think as it really shows he real arrogance not he choir boy image he tries to portray.  It will be interesting if small hands Tom will have trouble this year as I am sure the refs will be to the letter this year. the other thing to consider is based on the text this was happening for several games this year if not for several seasons.  My guess is 8 games a 250k fine (like he cares) and a draft pick (3 - 5th) as even if Bill did not know of it, as it was Pats equipment people, he should have had better institutional control.  If its no big deal why not let him just use a college ball while the other team has to use the pro ball.  If as they claim he is so great that he does not need the advantage why did he do it?

This!

To all people that say it didn't help and no big deal...Question, Why did he do it?

He cheated which resulted in a serious competitive advantage, then lied about it, then tried to cover it up....

Now he's making equipment guys take the fall, having his father protecting him and unwilling to act like a man and simply admit what he did.

This is a bad guy, no other way to see it.

• Upvote 2

BB will get suspended as well 

Yeah, they're going to have to err on the side of aggression rather than going soft.

There's a lot of public pressure and they won't want to risk a backlash of negativity as they gone too light before..

And Goodel thought he was cute when he ridiculously punished Payton - it's come back to haunt him - he now has very little choice but to suspend Bellichick.

• Upvote 1

Not when this is the 2nd/3rd time that a team that you're coaching has been caught cheating. 

It gets to the point where obviously the "head" coach is the one setting the culture. BB should not be exonerated from anything. Like what the NFL said to Sean Payton during bountygate when they suspended him for a year "As the head coach Its your job to know whats going on with your team". 

Is that an actual quote?  Because if it is, there's simply no way you can let BB off the hook...

The quote was: "Ignorance is not a suitable defense. If  you didnt know exactly what was going on in your program, thats no excuse. You should have known."

That came directly from Roger Goodell. 

Wow, just wow...

Bellichick is going down!

• Upvote 1

I don't think that's what led to Payton's suspension, however.  I don't think that there is strict vicarious liability for the HC anytime there is a violation by someone on his team.  I think the precedential weight being given to the Bountygate penalties in this thread is probably misplaced.

I don't remember the details myself, but here is what ESPN said about it at the time:

According to the league, Payton ignored instructions from the NFL and Saints ownership to make sure bounties weren't being paid. The league also chastised him for choosing to "falsely deny that the program existed," and for trying to "encourage the false denials by instructing assistants to 'make sure our ducks are in a row.' "

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7718136/sean-payton-new-orleans-saints-banned-one-year-bounties

BB did virtually everything you highlighted with deflate gate.

The Pats knew people had complained about deflated ball prior...

Bellichick got up on national TV and gave some ridiculous science explanation that was so obviously a lie..

When finding out about the quotes from sources internally (which he had to know via the phone results) he didn't come out and tell the league of wrongdoing.

• Upvote 3

Here is the full list from Bounty Gate.  Where in the Wells Report is analogous conduct by BB referenced?

Commissioner Goodell stated that the actions of the individuals disciplined today violated league rules and constituted conduct detrimental to the league and players. He said the existence of a pay-for-performance/bounty program undermined the integrity of the game. The violations were compounded by the failure of Coach Payton to supervise the players and coaches and his affirmative decision starting in 2010 (a) not to inquire into the facts concerning the pay-for-performance/bounty program even though he was aware of the league's inquiries both in 2010 and 2012; ( B) to falsely deny that the program existed; © to encourage the false denials by instructing assistants to "make sure our ducks are in a row;" and (d) to ignore instructions from the league office and club ownership to ensure that no such program existed.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2012/03/full_release_from_the_nfl_on_s.html

Once again...Exactly.

I could take each one of those accusations and apply an incredibily similar accusation to BB in the deflate gate scenario...

Here is the full list from Bounty Gate.  Where in the Wells Report is analogous conduct by BB referenced?

Commissioner Goodell stated that the actions of the individuals disciplined today violated league rules and constituted conduct detrimental to the league and players. He said the existence of a pay-for-performance/bounty program undermined the integrity of the game. The violations were compounded by the failure of Coach Payton to supervise the players and coaches and his affirmative decision starting in 2010 (a) not to inquire into the facts concerning the pay-for-performance/bounty program even though he was aware of the league's inquiries both in 2010 and 2012; b. to falsely deny that the program existed; © to encourage the false denials by instructing assistants to "make sure our ducks are in a row;" and (d) to ignore instructions from the league office and club ownership to ensure that no such program existed.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2012/03/full_release_from_the_nfl_on_s.html

and his affirmative decision starting in prior weeks (a) not to inquire into the facts concerning deflated balls being used by his team; b. to falsely deny that the balls were deflated; © to not reveal facts he learned about what happened from equipment managers within the organziation (d) to ignore instructions from the league office and in conjunction with club ownership to deny that no such program existed.

• Upvote 3

Changing a couple of words from the Bountygate report does not make the situations analogous.  The Wells report exonerates Belichick.  In contrast, the Bounty Gate investigation concluded that Payton ignored league directives and participated in the cover-up. 

the situations aren't analogous - The Pats cheated - the Saints didn't...

But certainly you can see BB committed similar offenses as per the quote you used to declare BB innocence.

And the report did NOT exonerate BB - It simply didn't mention him - While it's unlikely he didn't know he was certainly part of a cover-up and didn't do anything to stop it once he knew about it (assuming he didn't know prior - which is highly unlikely)  

Make all the excuses you want - the organization is corrupt from ownership to the Head coach to their QB all the way down to equipment managers...

It's a disgrace to the league and they should be punished severely.

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company