Sign in to follow this  
Jet Fan RI

Roger Goodell says Deflategate report should be released 'soon'...***updated 5/6: REPORT RELEASED*** (starts page 8)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-released-soon

Roger Goodell says Deflategate report should be released 'soon'

By John Breech | CBSSports.com
April 28, 2015 6:45 pm ET

If you've been holding your breath waiting for the Deflategate investigation to be released, you're probably not alive right now, but for the rest of us, there looks to be some light at the end of the Deflategate tunnel.
During an interview with "CBS This Morning" on Tuesday, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell told Charlie Rose that he expects the report to be released "soon." 
"I do think it will be soon," Goodell said. "We have a responsibility to the 32 teams -- not just the one team, to 32 teams -- and our fans and the general public here to make sure things were done fairly."
The league is definitely doing its due diligence.
The NFL announced in January that it was going to investigate whether or not the footballs used by the Patriots in the AFC Championship game were deliberately deflated. That investigation, which is being run by Ted Wells, reached Day 100 on Tuesday.
During the interview with Goodell, Rose asked the commissioner why the investigation has taken so long.
"I think it's hard because you want to make sure you have all the information," Goodell said. "It's not just whether the balls are properly inflated. The question is, one of things [Wells would] be asked to look for, 'Was it just one game?'"
Goodell did add that there's no suspicion that the Patriots played more than one game with deflated footballs. 
"There's no suspicion of anything," Goodell said. "What we're trying to do is try to make sure we're thorough. The most important thing here is, 'Was there a violation of the rules and if so, how did that occur?'"
Although the investigation has seemingly taken forever, let's not forget all the laughter Deflategate's brought us.

He's just trying to figure out the best way to ignore the Patriots' obvious cheating and look the other way for the benefit of his good buddy Kraft.

roger-goodell-gq-magazine-february-2015- roger-goodell-robert-kraft.jpg

Probably. But I was encouraged to see that Goodell at least stated that the league was interested in whether the deflation could have been done in more than just one game. I had not heard that before, and was worried they really would just be concerned with the AFC champ game. This suggests the investigation may consider some evidence that the Pats' fumble rate went way down at just the time the ball-handling rule was changed. Hope the physicist who was tasked to look into this considered that aspect too.

Presented without comment.

All that means is that the league is not admitting that the web reports about the fumble rate going down have any weight. But if the physicist does his own calculations, I think that would be a different matter. And the fact that the league expressed an interest in it would seem to give the guy license to look into it.

Textbook fluff piece.

You may want to follow the original link. The "laughs" you reference are in regard to Deflategate jokes made by the president, not because the league was doing any laughing. The original link includes a video with the president in it that I did not upload in my post. No fluff piece here. 

Yeah so they get a slap on the wrist when there is video catching them red handed... do you really think anything significant will come out of this? Not a chance.

I think there is a chance. And I think the long delay in announcing results suggests that exoneration is not what the investigation found. 

You sure you are JETS fan or a disguised troll ?

What kind of an ignorant comment is that? Oh. It's ignorant. I answered my own question.

huh ?

OK. I'll assume you're not stupid. WTF did I ever post that would cause you to think I was a troill? 

I do not expect exoneration. I expect wrist slap with some corporate-speak about how policies and procedures were not followed but there was no intent to obtain unfair competitive advantage and that none was gained. Thus the results of the season are inviolate and legitimate. From a business perspective, I don't see how Goodell can go another way without calling into question the legitimacy of the champion. Above all he is paid to protect the brand, and a serious punishment without stripping a title would be bad for business. The fact that there is no decision before the draft--despite ample time--to me indicates that no serious punishment is forthcoming.

Alas, you may be right. But as to no decision before the draft, it could come tomorrow morning. If so, perhaps Kraft and Goodell have had a falling out.

No way Goodell--who serves at the pleasure of the owners--is going to levy a punishment that results in draft upheaval the day before the draft.

Gosh, you're killing the last rays of hope. No chance Goodell will find some morality?

The first post is something that i would expect from a Pats cheerleader.

Who the eff cares if it provided laughs or not or if any jokes were made.  Only a fluff piece could include that statement.

They cheated and they should be punished to the max. But they will get away with it.

A Pats cheerleader would post a new article that says Goodell says a deflategate decision is coming soon? Man, that's really scrambled thinking. And the Pats were pissed at the president's jokes, and Brady so much so that he stiffed the White House invitation. Man, you really gotta get your head screwed on right. 

Who cares if it was funny or not or who's vagina was bruised because of all the jokes. All i want to see is Pats punished to the max. Period.

With JETS fans like you who needs trolls.

Me too. But I think I'm owed an apology for the troll comment;

Why would that happen?

It is obvious that there is absolutley no proof whatsoever that the Pats did anything wrong.

Why do you think this has dragged on for over 100 days?

That reasoning is exactly backward. If there is nothing, why wouldn't the league announce it immediately?

Because then it would look like a cover-up.

By taking so much time, the league can say the investigation was "completely thorough" when they exonerate the Pats of any wrong doing whatsoever.

So you're saying, in the end, it really will be a cover-up?

Not really.

If there is nothing there and they want to really slam the Patriots, then why not turn over every leaf regardless of the impatience of JN?

There is either nothing there.

A sh*t ton there.

Or they are lawyers and are driving up the billable hours.

You seem to be implying it is the investigators who are holding it up. I interpret what Goodell said to mean the league has the report already, and the league is holding it up. I think the only reason the league would hold it up is because there is evidence of guilt.

First, they are lawyers..so yeah.

Second, it makes little sense to hold off on punishment.  Goodell punished the Falcons a 2016 draft pick.  They can do the same to the Patriots if that is your contention.  They could have done a WWE spoof and tear up the draft card of Malcolm Brown if they wanted.

It makes a great deal of sense to hold off on punishment. They just won the SB. It would be supremely embarrassing to the league to have to punish the league champs for cheating. It would call the integrity of the win into question.

Why?

It is not like they were up 28-0 with the under inflated balls and barely hung with properly inflated balls. They played better with inflated balls and won the Superbowl with properly inflated balls.

It makes more sense to move on from it. If the Patriots are as evil as everyone hopes, then it is not going to be easier with time. The old adage of bad news does not get better with time applies here.[o/quote]

Keep in mind Goodell said the league was interested in whether this went beyond just one game. That gives the physicist license to investigate fumble rate stats. Don't focus on just the one game.

Are you serious?

Fumble rates have as much correlation to under-inflated footballs as BBQ grills have on global warming.

Perhap my point would have been clearer if I had mentioned there is a virtually statistically impossible correlation between the start of the reduction of the Pats' fumble rate and the change in the rule that allowed teams to handle balls before games. Impossible, that is, to be related to pure chance.

As well they should.  Good luck with that though.  If the AFC Championship game is an example of their process, it will be hard to prove anything.

Depends on the standard of proof. It might be tough to prove in a court of law. But if the physicist says the improvement in fumble rate is statistically impossible, that might be enough proof for the league. Especially in the case of a team that previously was found to have cheated. I think the standard of proof may be fairly low.

True, but do you see Roger trying to slam the Patriots with hersay after dicking everything up in 2014?  I do not.

If there is clear evidence, I think he would slam the team, coach, etc.  However, if there is not, then it might be a slap on the hand like Woody got.

I suspect Goodell very well may not hit the Pats, even if they deserve it. But that is a dark suspicion, not based on the facts of the case but on what may be an improper relationship  between Goodell and Kraft.. And hearsay has nothing to do with it. To make a case for the statistical impossibility of the fumble rate improvement and its lining up in time with the rule change, a complete independent analysis would be required. And if the physicist, or a mathematician whose help he may seek, produces such an analysis and it does in fact show it is impossible for the improvement to have occurred without something beyond the rules having occurred, that would be a solid reason for severe punishment. No hearsay involved whatsoever. 

If the Spygate and Deflategate investigations (both of which angered Kraft to no end and resulted in an unprecedented fine in the former case and an unprecedented pre-Super Bowl distraction in the latter case) were the product of an improper relationship with Goodell, then Kraft is not getting much bang for his improper relationship bucks. 

I did not mean to imply Kraft is paying Goodell. Only that due to their personal relationship the severity of the punishment  might be reduced. But a punishment of lesser severity might also be meted out for the improper reason of not wanting to tarnish the league champion. That may even be a stronger reason if any punishment appears to be disproportionately small.

they might not hit the pats as if they did it would really question the integrity of the game.  

Precisely. But not hitting them if they deserve it would really be a lack of integrity.

I think it's pretty clear they deserve it.  They purposely deflated footballs to gain an illegal competitive advantage - and it sounds like they were doing it for years.  Problem for the NFL is how to dole out punishment.

If they truly believe they cheated they would have to hammer them with very serious penalties - multiple draft picks and likely a year suspension for BB....but they're not going to do that to the superbowl champ and BB - but a small penalty for such a serious violation would come across as BS - saying they cheated but we're only taking a 4th round pick next year.  That would harm the integrity of the game worse...

realistically the only thing the league can do is to say they did nothing wrong - or something along the lines of "we found no evidence to show that there was any wrongdoing"

If anyone is expecting anything other than that - I think you're going to be disappointed.

I, for one, will be officially done with the Roger Goodell NFL - but the league mostly won't be harmed.

If the league allows a statistical study of the fumble rates and how they correlate with the rule change, I agree. Punishment is unquestionably deserved. But if all they allow is the results of the physical testing, there is a possibility that no firm conclusion may be reached. At that point the clarity of deserved punishment isn't there.

If they do attach it that way, hopefully they will not use the tragically flawed Sharp report which has been torn to shreds.  Showing the Patriots better numbers are not so much an outlier, but more a good trend.

I hope they don't use any report done by an outside entity, They need to do all the calculations themselves.

Tex remember only one ball was under 2 PSI under.  Several were only half a feather and the remaining were at 'tick' under so a quarter feather.

I hadn't heard any of that. But if true, it certainly gives the lie to the Belichick science experiments. No way there would be that much variation between the balls if the deflation was due to natural causes.

The original leak, Kravitz,  was 11 of 12 were 2lbs under.

Then Florio (I believe) said only one was 2 under, several were about a pound and the remaining were a tick or not under.

The lie is that the Patriots gauged them and then the refs gauged them. SWAG here, but I am guessing there was nothing more than a grip test.  Tom probably did not liike the 1-2 lbs under and they let air out. 

The refs grabbed and thought they are good.

Who is this "they" you say it is who let air out for Brady? Is this supposed to be sarcasm? And you really think the refs would not do the job right when they know the balls will be tested again at the half?

They would be whomever does that for the Patriots.  Do you really think Tom puts a gauge in every ball? Lets air out.  Really?

And why is it so hard to comprehend that maybe just maybe the refs do a half assed job of checking the balls?  Oh, I know they are doctors and lawyers and other professionsals, of course they would do the most monotnous thing in their lives. 

I am sure they followed the correct procedure at half.  That is not when we are talking about.  It is their check two hours before that is in question.  Of course they record everything....oh yeah...we have to take their word for it.

Because they knew something was up since the balls were being retested at the half.

About time this stupid witch hunt is over.

Hope you guys are not too disappointed in the outcome.

Of course we're not disappointed. They actually found a witch.

I say appropriate punishment would be to suspend Brady for 1 game and maybe BB, too. Forfeit the #1 draft pick in 2016 and then fine the team $1 million. These guys are repeat offenders. If a player is found failing the drug testing, repeat offenders receive worse fines than first timers.

Are you kidding? Brady and Belichick should be suspended for a year, effective immediately; they should lose 1st and 2nd round picks next season; and should get a million dollar fine.

Disagree

Nobody will even remember this 20 years from now.

That said they are a bunch of cheating weasels

The Black Sox scandal is still remembered. Why not this? 

Yea, damning evidence consists of alot of "possibly, probably, maybe, and could be's".

Not one bit of concrete evidence whatsoever.

Fortunately, none is needed, This is not a court of law. There is quite enough here to justify severe punishment. And that is all the more so due to their previous penalization for cheating. Expect much worse punishment for a second offense.

Honestly that report is pretty damning.  I think the penalties are going to be relatively strong.  My guess is both Brady and BB get suspensions (short ones but suspensions nonetheless) and at least a 3rd rounder.

With that report those have to be the minimums.

Absolutely agree on both points. Were you among those who have been saying nothing will happen to the Pats, before the report appeared? I honestly cannot recall. And it would be impressive if the report contents turned you around on that opinion.

Goodell set the precedent in the Saints Bountygate case. Ignorance is not an excuse. If one member of the organization is guilty, the whole organization is guilty. 

Yes, it's the same principle as in the Navy: The captain is always responsible for everything that happens. 

IMHO, a team should be able to bring the balls they like, however they like it. But the rule is clearly stated, and it's clear that Brady throws better when they're deflated, meaning every game he's played with deflated balls is tainted. Therefore Brady is, indeed, a POS. **** him and **** the pats. 

Surely you're joking. Other than rubbing balls up, what other sport allows teams to modify balls? Should pitchers be allowed to apply any substance they want to a baseball?

Why weren't the patriots disciplined before the draft ? Now if they're to take away draft picks it'll be a WHOLE year before it would come into effect....

On another note, the seahawks were literally inches and a handoff away from being Super Bowl champs which makes it even more frustrating.  

With any luck, the lost draft picks will be the least of the penalties,

The more and more i read this report the more it becomes apparent that Tom Brady and the Patriots did their best to no co-operate with the investigation.

Brady did not submit his phone as required.

Pats counsel denied to make McNally available for a follow up interview which was sought by the investigators.

Then i read Robert Kraft's reaction "“Throughout the process of this nearly four-month investigation, we have cooperated and patiently awaited its outcome."

And that is why the penalties should be even more severe than the deflation, coupled with being a second offense, would have garnered.

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company