Roger Goodell says Deflategate report should be released 'soon'...***updated 5/6: REPORT RELEASED*** (starts page 8)

Jet Fan RI

I know that the possibility of seeing Brady held accountable for this is a nice thought, but I don't see any way the league does anything more than 1 game and a few grand....and I'd be shocked if they even did that much.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair. We did trade for Brandon Marshall.

Brandon Marshall was undiagnosed borderline personality disorder when he did what he did. He is on meds now and hasn't had an incident in years and has shown contrition for his actions. 

Floyd is an unrepentant serial abuser. Huge difference. 

Honestly that report is pretty damning.  I think the penalties are going to be relatively strong.  My guess is both Brady and BB get suspensions (short ones but suspensions nonetheless) and at least a 3rd rounder.

With that report those have to be the minimums.

Absolutely agree on both points. Were you among those who have been saying nothing will happen to the Pats, before the report appeared? I honestly cannot recall. And it would be impressive if the report contents turned you around on that opinion.

ESPN Writer says Deflategate JEts Fault (lol):

Eight years ago, the New York Jets blew the whistle on the New England Patriots' illegal video-taping practices, resulting in Spygate. Turns out the Jets also are involved in the Deflategate scandal, albeit an involuntary, bit role.

Never fails. The Jets and Patriots always seem to be linked by controversy.

The long-anticipated Ted Wells report was released Wednesday, and there are 25 references to the Jets in the 243-page tome. The Jets' role stems from last year's Oct. 16 game at Foxborough, the Thursday night game in which the Jets outplayed the Patriots, but lost a heartbreaker, 27-25. Rex Ryan was so angry after the game that he punched a wall on the way to his news conference.

Tom Brady apparently was hacked off, too, but for a different reason. He "complained angrily" throughout the game about the inflation level of the footballs, according to the report. Brady's behavior, and the fallout, was covered in eight pages of the Wells report.

The upshot of the Jets-Patriots episode is that it shows Brady's obsession with the "feel" of his footballs, which will lead many to conclude he knew exactly what was going down (i.e. ball pressure) at the AFC Championship Game. Indeed, the report claims that Brady was "at least generally aware of the inappropriate activities of [Jim] McNally and [John] Jastremski involving the release of air from Patriots game balls" -- a reference to the Patriots' locker-room attendant and equipment assistant, respectively.

If you believe Brady, he claims the Jets-Patriots game provided an education on the rules of proper ball inflation. (Note: The proper range is 12.5 to 13.5 psi.) We kid you not. Here are a few excerpts from the report:

"When interviewed, Brady claimed to have known nothing about the permissible inflation range set by the NFL Playing Rules or the inflation range targeted by the Patriots until after the Patriots game against the New York Jets on October 16, 2014. Similarly, Jastremski claimed to have never read Rule 2 prior to that game, although he acknowledged being generally aware of the permissible inflation range and of Brady's preference for footballs set 'closer to 12.5 than 13.'

"According to Jastremski, before the October 2014 game against the Jets, it had been his practice to inflate Patriots game balls to a level between 12.75 and 12.85 psi without thinking much about it, simply because, according to Jastremski, that had been the range targeted by his predecessor. According to Brady, Jastremski and other Patriots personnel, during the October 2014 Jets game, Brady complained angrily about the feel and inflation level of the game balls. He told Jastremski between drives that the balls felt 'like bricks' and were heavier and harder to grip than they had been when he approved them prior to the game. Although Jastremski believed during the game that Brady was simply being competitive, he tested the air pressure of the game balls the next morning, discovered that many of them were over-inflated, and told Brady that he was right."

Our take: Could it be that Brady's frustration also stemmed from the Patriots' struggles against the one-win Jets, who controlled the ball for 40-plus minutes? Brady still wound up throwing three touchdown passes, but there were stretches in which he was befuddled by Rex Ryan's defense.

Another excerpt:

"Following the Jets game, Brady and Jastremski had a number of conversations concerning the inflation level of game balls. According to Brady, at some point after the Jets game and before the game against the Chicago Bears the following weekend, he asked to see a copy of the applicable Playing Rule, learned for the first time that the permissible inflation range was 12.5 to 13.5 psi, and was told that the Patriots typically inflated game balls slightly above 12.5 psi. Brady also stated that, at some point, he felt a football that was inflated to 12.5 psi, and decided that should be the target for all future games because he did 'not ever want to get near the upper range again.'

Our take: Wait, it gets better. During the game, Brady started dumping on McNally for not doing his job, per the report. Then, when questioned by the Wells investigators, Brady played dumb, claiming he didn't know McNally. Really? He's only been the locker-room attendant for 32 years.

Another except:

"According to Jastremski, while complaining about the balls on the sidelines during the game, Brady made a comment about McNally and referred to the testing of the game balls by the game officials prior to the game. Jastremski explained that Brady 'knows that Jim is the referee's locker-room attendant,' and recalls that Brady said something like, 'isn't he in there to make sure the balls are staying where they should be?'

"Jastremski said that he mentioned Brady's comment to McNally on the sideline, and that McNally responded 'f--- Tom.' McNally also recalls Brady being angry about the footballs during the game and expressing frustration about the game officials and their examination of the game balls. McNally claimed that he viewed Brady's comments as 'an attack on me' because McNally was responsible for bringing the game balls to the Officials Locker Room, and interpreted Brady's statements as criticism.

"When interviewed, Brady claimed that, prior to the events surrounding the AFC Championship Game, he did not know McNally's name or anything about McNally's game-day responsibilities, including whether McNally had any responsibilities relating to game balls or the game officials. When asked specifically whether he had spoken with Jastremski about McNally on the night of the Jets game, he stated: “I didn't know who Jim McNally was so I find it hard to believe I could bring that up."

Our final take: Clearly, the report tarnishes Brady's Mr. Perfect reputation, and he reportedly could be disciplined by the league. But the overall report comes up short because it fails to produce any concrete evidence against the Patriots. Basically, it says, "We think the Patriots broke the rules, but we can't be sure. In other words, nothing has been resolved, except that we now know that Brady turns ornery when people mess with his footballs.

Would absolutely love this to happen, but will not happen.  He is too much of an asset to the NFL.  He will get a wrist-slap.  But I would also like to see draft pick(s).

While I would have agreed with what your saying just a a few hours ago - I expected this report to be a joke essentially clearing the Pats....

This report is really damning...It's hard to imagine a light suspension at this point.  The SuperBowl MVP purposely maninpulated a football to gain a substantial advantage, lied to a national TV audience about it and then tried to cover it up....

If the report was allowed to come out as is - they're going to suspend him with a fair penalty - that has to be a full season.

Let's see how he does in the 10 games he's not suspended for in 2015 with properly inflated footballs. 

Me thinks you may be in for a rude awakening. 

Watch the fumble rate return to normalcy as well.

Patriots = most corrupt and amoral professional franchise of the last 100 years.  Quite a legacy you've got there Pats trolls.  Suck on it for a while.  

Spygate = Blatant Cheating = 1st rounder

Bounty gate = physical football = bans n suspensions

Deflategate = 2nd occurrence of cheating = 20k fine

Only makes sense. Play tough football n get banned or cheat n win SBs.

That seems about right but I doubt they're disciplined at all. 

I wish they got his phone. But we do know that approximately two minutes after he hung up the phone with WEEI (where he learned about the investigator) he called the equipment manager.

That could break up his marriage with all the dick pics he has collected over the years.

Goodell set the precedent in the Saints Bountygate case. Ignorance is not an excuse. If one member of the organization is guilty, the whole organization is guilty. 

Yes, it's the same principle as in the Navy: The captain is always responsible for everything that happens. 

Absolutely agree on both points. Were you among those who have been saying nothing will happen to the Pats, before the report appeared? I honestly cannot recall. And it would be impressive if the report contents turned you around on that opinion.

Yes...I was absolutely one that thought nothing would come of it...But I thought the report would be BS...

This report is real and bad for Brady and the Pats - which leads me to believe the suspensions will be real.

Of course, because they have at least 5 or 6 other systematic means of cheating going on elsewhere in that organization.  The players change, the coaches change and the success continues... there's a reason that not one coach or player has left that organization and found anywhere close to the success they had when they were in that organization and that includes the head coach.

They are known proven cheaters and frauds.  No matter how many times people like you try to shout from the hilltops to convince people of your team's legitimacy, it will never matter.  That must tear you up inside.

to think...it all started with a snow plow clearing a path for their kicker.  Long before Belichick & Kraft.  Once a cheating franchise.... always a cheating franchise

Brandon Marshall was undiagnosed borderline personality disorder when he did what he did. He is on meds now and hasn't had an incident in years and has shown contrition for his actions. 

Floyd is an unrepentant serial abuser. Huge difference. 

Brandon Marshall is on a team we root for. Floyd is not. That's the difference.

Yea, damning evidence consists of alot of "possibly, probably, maybe, and could be's".

Not one bit of concrete evidence whatsoever.

Just like you think your post count on a JETS message board isn't concrete evidence that you are a complete loser?

Kraft's entire statement presented below with no comment.

New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft issued the following statement Wednesday regarding the Wells report:

“When I addressed the media at the Super Bowl on January 26 -- over 14 weeks ago -- I stated that I unconditionally believed that the New England Patriots had done nothing inappropriate in this process or in violation of the NFL rules and that I was disappointed in the way the league handled the initial investigation. That sentiment has not changed.

“I was convinced that Ted Wells’ investigation would find the same factual evidence supported by both scientific formula and independent research as we did and would ultimately exonerate the Patriots. Based on the explanations I have heard and the studies that have been done, I don’t know how the science of atmospheric conditions can be refuted or how conclusions to the contrary can be drawn without some definitive evidence.

“What is not highlighted in the text of the report is that three of the Colts’ four footballs measured by at least one official were under the required psi level. As far as we are aware, there is no comparable data available from any other game because, in the history of the NFL, psi levels of footballs have never been measured at halftime, in any climate. If they had been, based on what we now know, it is safe to assume that every cold-weather game was played with under-inflated footballs. As compelling a case as the Wells Report may try to make, I am going to rely on the factual evidence of numerous scientists and engineers rather than inferences from circumstantial evidence.

“Throughout the process of this nearly four-month investigation, we have cooperated and patiently awaited its outcome. To say we are disappointed in its findings, which do not include any incontrovertible or hard evidence of deliberate deflation of footballs at the AFC Championship Game, would be a gross understatement. In addition, given our level of cooperation throughout the process, I was offended by the comments made in the Wells Report in reference to not making an individual available for a follow-up interview. What the report fails to mention is that he had already been interviewed four times and we felt the fifth request for access was excessive for a part-time game day employee who has a full-time job with another employer.

“While I respect the independent process of the investigation, the time, effort and resources expended to reach this conclusion are incomprehensible to me. Knowing that there is no real recourse available, fighting the league and extending this debate would prove to be futile. We understand and greatly respect the responsibility of being one of 32 in this league and, on that basis, we will accept the findings of the report and take the appropriate actions based on those findings as well as any discipline levied by the league.”

translation:  Sh*t.  You got us.  We're guilty.  Please have mercy.

Brandon Marshall is on a team we root for. Floyd is not. That's the difference.

No. I liked Marshall before he was a Jet, ask Bergen Jet and JiF

If you know his story it's hard not to like him. 

Watch his "A Football Life."

Marshall and Mayweather is a false equivalency. 

to think...it all started with a snow plow clearing a path for their kicker. Long before Belichick & Kraft. Once a cheating franchise.... always a cheating franchise

Wait, what's that story??

Are they claiming this started this season in an attempt to throw us off the track regarding systematic years of under-inflation that kept their fumble rate down?

Belichicks reaction to Ridleys fumble problems in 2013 seemed a little conspicuous.

IMHO, a team should be able to bring the balls they like, however they like it. But the rule is clearly stated, and it's clear that Brady throws better when they're deflated, meaning every game he's played with deflated balls is tainted. Therefore Brady is, indeed, a POS. **** him and **** the pats. 

Surely you're joking. Other than rubbing balls up, what other sport allows teams to modify balls? Should pitchers be allowed to apply any substance they want to a baseball?

Archived