Roger Goodell says Deflategate report should be released 'soon'...***updated 5/6: REPORT RELEASED*** (starts page 8)

Jet Fan RI

Damage control has already started.

Deflategate won't affect Brady's legacy

Said ESPN NFL Front Office Insider Bill Polian: "I don't think ["Deflategate"] changes anything about the quality of his play, and the kind of quarterback he's been. He's been one of the two, three greatest of all-time. There's no argument about that."

David Ortiz turns delusionsal:

Joe McDonald @ESPNJoeyMac
O8uwzOoY_normal.jpeg

Red Sox' David Ortiz on Patriots' situation: "It bugs me. What does it have to do with winning the Super Bowl?” 13m

Ortiz lol. What a clown.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i Hope there are no suspensions - I hope brady is made to play with properly inflated balls in cold games so we can watch his head get taken off by opposing DE just like every other QB in league - I do however hope they get a draft pick taken.   brady may just call it quits - take his deflated balls and say im not playing with you guys anymore so there!

folks also forget its fact that under inflated balls make it MUCH easier for WRs to catch balls.

Tom Brady suspended one year, Bill Bellichek suspended 6 games!

What it should be.

Pats penalized, no salami at the post-game food table for week 1.

What it will be.

Payton was suspended for a year and he didn't play a part in bounty gate. Ignorance wasn't an excuse. And he didn't have a Spygate on his resume.

there is little doubt "something" will happen.  What that will be is uncertain. How severe can they be on Cindy?  Does this rise to the level of suspension (Hitting your girlfirend or child, smoking dope a second time, etc) or is it simply a finable offense?

I think the fact that this is a second cheating offense, coupled with the failure to cooperate with the investigation by the Pats, plus the precedent of the Saints' case means the penalties will have to be much more severe than any one of these factors alone would garner. I expect suspensions, loss of high draft picks, plus a huge fine.

"Like I said, once I’m out on the field, I’m playing. I have no thought of the football at that point. I’m thinking about the defense, I’m thinking about the execution of the play and what I need to do. I’m not thinking about how the football feels."

Which makes total sense and is why he didn't go bananas on the equipment guy(s) after the Jets game.

Oh, wait.

A bit different, given the issue and scope.  You'd expect the HC to know about a bounty pool being run and discussed in his D room.  You wouldn't expect the coach to know about two equipment managers doctoring footballs for the QB, since it would never be discussed around him and he would never be in a position to notice it in the ordinary course of his duties.

Come on Doggy, stop ruining a good thread with common sense.

18712035.jpg?t=1422018000

Tom Brady: Obviously I’d much rather be up here talking about the Seahawks and preparing for the Super Bowl, which we’ve been trying to do for the last few days. I know Coach [bill]Belichick addressed it with you guys this morning and I wanted to give you guys the opportunity to ask [The]questions that you want. I’ll do my best to provide the answers that I have, if any, and we’ll go from there.

Q: When and how did you supposedly alter the balls?

TB: I didn’t have any – I didn’t alter the ball in any way. I have a process that I go through before every game where I go in and I pick the footballs that I want to use for the game. Our equipment guys do a great job of breaking the balls in. they have a process that they go through. When I pick those balls out, at that point to me they’re perfect. I don’t want anyone touching the balls after that. I don’t want anyone rubbing them, putting any air in them, taking any air out. To me those balls are perfect and that’s what I expect when I show up on the field. That happened obviously on Sunday night. It was the same process that I always go through. I didn’t think anything of it. Obviously I woke up Monday morning and answered a question on the radio about it and that was the first I really hard about it.

Q: This has raised a lot of uncomfortable conversations for people around this country who view you as their idol. The question they’re asking themselves is, ‘What’s up with our hero?’ Can you answer right now, is Tom Brady a cheater?

TB: I don’t believe so. I feel like I’ve always played within the rules. I would never do anything to break the rules. I believe in fair play and I respect the league and everything they’re doing to try to create a very competitive playing field for all the NFL teams. It’s a very competitive league. Every team is trying to do the best they can to win every week. I believe in fair play and I’ll always believe in that for as long as I’m playing.

Q: Some people think Coach Belichick threw you under the bus this morning, do you feel that way?

TB: No, I think everyone is obviously trying to figure out what happened. I think that’s the main thing over the last couple days. It’s trying to figure out what happened. Like I said, I was as surprised as anybody when I heard Monday morning what was happening. I think over the last few days people have been trying to figure out – as the NFL is trying to figure out – what part of the process and from when I saw the ball which was five hours before halftime, what exactly happened.

Q: Do all quarterbacks doctor the balls and have you done anything differently from anyone else in the league?

TB: I’m not sure. I can only speak for myself. I think that there’s a process that everybody goes through breaking in footballs. It’s probably a lot like a baseball mitt when you’re a kid. I try to explain that to my friends a lot. When you use it and that’s your equipment, the football is something that I handle on every play. I want to be very familiar with the equipment that I’m using, just like my cleats, just like my helmet, just like my pads. You go through that process of breaking the balls in and getting comfortable with them. Of course I choose the balls that I want to use for the game and that’s what I expect to go out on the playing field with.

Q: How important is it for you to get this out of the way and take this head-on so you can get focused on the Super Bowl?

TB: That’s where the importance is, as far as I’m concerned. I know this is a very important thing and that’s why I’m here addressing it. I know my teammates, we accomplished something really special getting to this point. I don’t like the fact that this is taking away from some of the accomplishment of what we’ve achieved as a team. I think hopefully our best is still to come. We’re going to work as hard as we can over the next 10 days to put ourselves in a great position to be prepared for the game.

Q: Do you know the difference between an under-inflated ball and an over-inflated ball? Did you notice a difference in the balls used in the first half and second half?

TB: From the first half to the second half, I didn’t think twice about it. I didn’t put one thought into the football at that point. Once I approve the ball, like I said, that’s the ball that I expect out there on the field. It wasn’t even a thought, inkling of a concern of mine that they were any different. I just assumed that they were exactly the same: first half, second half.

Q: What do you say to the skeptics that say, ‘The Patriots have had violations before. How can we possibly believe what Brady and the coach are saying now?’

TB: Everybody has an opinion. I think everybody has the right to believe whatever they want. I don’t ever cast judgment on someone’s belief system. If that’s what they feel like they want to do, then I don’t have a problem with that. I think part of being in this position and putting yourself under a spotlight like this and being open for criticism, I think that’s very much a part of being a professional athlete. We can only express to you what our side is and how we approach it. Then everyone is going to make their own [conclusion].

Q: Are you comfortable that nobody on the Patriots side did anything wrong?

TB: I have no knowledge of anything. I have no knowledge of any wrongdoing –

Q: Are you comfortable that nobody did anything?

TB: Yeah, I’m very comfortable saying that. I’m very comfortable saying that nobody did it, as far as I know. I don’t know everything. I also understand that I was in the locker room preparing for a game. I don’t know what happened over the course of the process with the footballs. I was preparing for my own job, doing what I needed to do.

Q: A few years ago you said you liked the ball deflated. You were quoted saying you like throwing a deflated ball. Explain that comment in the context of what you’re dealing with this week.

TB: I obviously read that I said that. I like them at the way that I like them, which is at 12.5. To me, that’s a perfect grip for the football. I think that particular term, deflated or inflated, whatever norm you’re using, you could probably use. I would never do anything outside of the rules of play. I would never have someone do something that I thought was outside the rules.

Q: So you never knowingly played with a football that was under 12.5-pounds?

TB: No.

Q: Have you tried to find out why the balls were under-inflated?

TB: That’s a great question. I think there are a lot of people that have more information than me. I only know what I’ve kind of gone through and the process I’ve taken as part of the game and the postgame, as well as trying to prepare for the Super Bowl. Yeah, I have questions, too. But there’s nobody that I know that can answer the questions that I have. I just have tried my best to focus on what I need to do, to be prepared for Seattle.

Q: If you know the look and feel of the football that you like, do you think there could have been other games where you played with an under-inflated football?

TB: I don’t know. Like I said, once I’m out on the field, I’m playing. I have no thought of the football at that point. I’m thinking about the defense, I’m thinking about the execution of the play and what I need to do. I’m not thinking about how the football feels. I grip the football –

Q: Are you wondering if you’ve played with an under-inflated ball before?

TB: I have no idea. I have no idea. This was the first that I’ve heard of it. Obviously on Monday morning, was the first that I heard of it.

Q: If it’s found that someone improperly tampered with the balls, is it important to you that someone is held accountable?

TB: I’m not the one that imposes [that]type of accountably. It’s discipline and all that, that’s not really my job. Obviously I’d like to know what happened, as you all would, too. In the meantime, I’m going to try to do the best I can to play against the Seahawks. Because I can’t do anything with what’s happened in the past. I have to just go forward with the most awareness I can going forward and trying to be the best I can be for our team.

Q: How does it make you feel that they’re calling your team cheaters?

TB: You know, I think a big part of playing here is trying to ignore the outside forces and influences and people that are maybe fans of our team or not fans of your team or fans of yourself or not fans of yourself. Like I said, everybody is entitled to an opinion. Those opinions rest with those people. I think you can just go out and try to be the best you can be, deal with people with respect, with honesty, with integrity, have a high moral standard. I’ve always really tried to exemplify that as an athlete. I’ll continue to try to do that.

Q: Does this motivate you guys?

TB: We’ve had a lot of motivation. I would say we’ve got a lot of motivation as a team. I think our team has overcome a lot of adversity this year. I think sometimes in life the biggest challenges end up being the best things that happen in your life. We’ve overcome a lot of those this year as a team. So, we can rally around one another and support one another. You can be the best teammate you can possibly be and you can go out and support each other and try to go win a very important game.

Q: Did you address your teammates today and if so, what did you say to them?

TB: Those are very personal things with my teammates. That was very personal comments.

Q: Did you see the footballs before they went to the referees?

TB: Yeah. It’s always the same process. I get here – the playoffs I got here pretty early before the games. Then I go in there and I choose however many balls are necessary for the games. Sometimes it’s 12, 16, 18, 24. This last particular game was 24. I felt them. They were perfect. I wouldn’t want anyone touching those. I would zip those things up and lock them away until I got out on the field and an opportunity to play with them. That’s what I thought I was doing.

Q: We’re you surprised when you heard those footballs had been deflated by two pounds?

TB: Absolutely. That was very surprising to me.

Q: One of your teammates said this was a media thing. Is that your feeling? Is there a feeling behind closed doors that this is being blown out of proportion?

TB: No, it’s very serious. This is a very serious topic. Obviously the integrity of the sport is very important. I think there’s another focus that we have also as a team that guys are very focused on our opponent and the things that we need to do to try to be successful. Everyone is trying to figure out what happened. But at the same time, you have to prepare for the Seahawks also.

Q: You laughed this off on Monday on the radio. Now you’re more somber about it. What happened between Monday and today?

TB: Look, that was real early in the morning. I got home at 12, one o’clock and woke up to do the radio interview and I was very shocked to hear it. I almost laughed it off thinking it was more sour grapes than anything. Then it ends up being a very serious thing when you start learning the things that –

Q: When the start of the second half was delayed and the balls were swapped out, how did you guys on the sideline not know what was going on on the field with respect to the footballs?

TB: I don’t think anybody knew there was an issue with the balls. I think they said, ‘The balls are not ready for play.’ And then I turn around in the huddle and the ball was ready for play. So, I didn’t think anything of it.

Q: Nobody said anything to you on the sideline? It was a good minute delay.

TB: I wasn’t paying attention to what was happening at that time. I don’t remember. Everything was happening obviously so fast in the middle of the game. I was thinking about the series, to go out there and the execution of the game.

Q: The officials didn’t say a word to you?

TB: No.

Q: Do you feel like you had an unfair advantage over the Colts?

TB: I feel like we won the game fair and square. We ended up playing a great opponent and I thought our team went out and played a great game offensively, defensively [AND]special teams. It was a great accomplishment to reach the AFC Championship, to win the AFC Championship and then to have the opportunity to play in the Super Bowl. That was a great feeling after the game. Obviously the next few days and hearing the football issue has taken away from a little bit of that, but hopefully we’ll rally around one another to bring it back to the task at hand which is to try to go out and be the best we can be.

Q: Is this a moment to just say ‘I’m sorry,’ to the fans?

TB: I think it’s disappointing that a situation like this happens. Obviously I’d love to be up here talking about [the game], in a very joyful mood. These are the two best weeks of the year if you happen to be one of the two teams still playing. It should be a great two weeks. I’m obviously very disappointed that we have to be having a press conference like this. I wish I could give you more answers or the answers that you guys were looking for. But I don’t have some of those answers.

Q: For the fans that are watching and looking into that camera, what do you say?

TB: I’m not sure. What would you like me to say? I’m not quite sure.

Q: Does the league have a responsibility to button this up so everybody can move on?

TB: I think they’ll do however they see fit. You know, I think that’s up to their responsibility to do whatever they want to do. That’s kind of usually what happens anyway. Like I said, I know they’re doing their investigation. I don’t know what will happen after that.

Q: Do you feel like you’re hanging in the wind?

TB: No, I think we’re preparing for the Super Bowl. I think this is obviously something we’re having to address, but at the same time, I think we’re focused on trying to go out and beat the Seahawks.

Q: Did the league investigators talk to you?

TB: Not yet.

Q: You said earlier that first the issue seemed minor and then you became it was more serious. What was it that convinced you of the seriousness?

TB: I just wasn’t, obviously, aware Monday morning of everything that had happened. So just as I learned more, you understand that there’s more than what I initially –

Q: What’s so serious about it to you?

TB: Just the integrity of the game. I think that’s a very important issue to always be mindful of as an athlete, and fair play. I think we set a great example for the younger athletes, the younger kids, the college kids, the high school kids. We want to be the ones to set the great example.

Q: Are you frustrated by this process? Are you surprised by the process of what the story has become? What do you hope the end result is going forward?

TB: I’m not sure if I have a hope. I haven’t put much thought into that. It’s been just a short period of time. I’d really love to go out there and play a great game. Obviously the NFL would love to figure out what happened in this situation. I try to keep everything in perspective. I’m happy we have an opportunity to play in the next game. obviously I’m disappointed by the footballs of last game, but I can’t do anything about what happened. I can only try to – I can only do something going forward.

Q: The league has not spoken to or contacted you yet?

TB: No, but they may. They may. I think that’s obviously their choice.

Q: Do you find that odd though?

TB: Sure, yeah, they might. They might.

Q: It’s odd that they haven’t at this point. You’re the quarterback and you’re the center of this story right now and the league’s officials haven’t talked to you indicates to a lot of people they’re letting this drag on.

TB: I’m not sure.

Q: Have you been told they will talk to you?

TB: I’m not sure.

Q: There are people who are going to say, ‘You’re so familiar with the equipment, how could you not know?’ What would you say to them?

TB: I addressed that a little bit earlier. Like I said, I don’t put any thought into the footballs after I choose them. When you’re out there playing in front of 70,000 people, like a home crowd, you don’t think about [iT]. You’re just reacting to the game. I don’t certainly think about the football. I just assume it’s the same one I approved in the pregame.

Q: Do you break the balls in during practice?

TB: We break them in in practice, certainly sometimes. Yeah, we definitely do that. It’s different from game to game. Some days one ball may feel good; the next day it may not. It depends on maybe how, I don’t know, the humidity in the air or how old the ball was. There are a lot of variables with obviously Mother Nature and the balls. Whatever feels good that day, those are the ones I would typically choose.

Q: Those are the same ones that Bill Belichick squirts water on in practice?

TB: Yeah, he does that a lot. It could be, yeah. It definitely could be.

Q: You said you didn’t want the balls to be touched after you approved them. You didn’t notice that 15 percent of the air was out of the ball when you started using it? It didn’t strike you during the first half?

TB: I didn’t feel any different. I would just assume that it was the same thing. Like I said, once I get the ball, I’m dropping back and reading the coverage and throwing the ball. I’m not –

Q: Basketball players would know if the ball was off after taking two shots. Baseball players could pick up a bat and know if it was less than ounce different. You’re asking us to believe that you couldn’t tell 15 percent of the football was deflated and you didn’t notice?

TB: I wouldn’t know on a particular play. It was a very wet, cold, windy night. Like I said –

Q: But [Colts linebacker] D’Qwell Jackson noticed.

TB: I don’t know. I don’t do that. I get the snap, I drop back, I throw the ball. I grip it and I try to throw the ball. That the extent of me touching the football. I don’t sit there and try to squeeze it and determine that. if that’s what the Colts wanted to do, then that’s what they wanted to do. That’s what their decision was. But I certainly didn’t. No, I did not recognize that. I did not feel a difference between the first half and the second half when supposedly they were inflated to the original or even more inflated. I didn’t notice any difference. I didn’t obviously think there was anything different between halves.

Q: When you initially tested the balls, did you think you would have noticed if the balls were under-inflated at that time?

TB: I don’t know. I guess it’s a challenging thing. I’m not squeezing the balls. That’s not part of my process. I grab it, I feel the lace, I feel the leather, I feel the tack on the ball. That’s really what you go for. It’s not like I ever squeeze the football. I just grip the football. I think there’s maybe a little bit of a difference of how I do that.

Q: What about the fact that you had better numbers after they exchanged the balls?

TB: Yeah. Like I said, I didn’t think any differently in the second half as I did in the first half. I know we had a great second half. It was due to great execution by a lot of great football player. Like I said, I know that’s obviously what they said. They inflated them. I didn’t notice a difference. I wish I could tell you something different. I just didn’t notice a difference.

Q: Bill Belichick said the team will inflate the balls over the minimum requirement from now on. Is that going to be an adjustment if 12.5 pounds is what you like?

TB: I don’t think that would make much of a difference. Like I said, I didn’t feel any difference between what was a 13-pound football or an 11-pound football the other night. That is pretty irrelevant to me.

Q: Will you lobby the league to change the rules surrounding this situation?

TB: What situation, what process would that be – about us breaking in our own balls?

Q: Making sure the balls are the proper weight throughout the game.

TB: Yeah, if they want to do that I have no problem with that. I certainly.

Kraft's entire statement presented below with no comment.

New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft issued the following statement Wednesday regarding the Wells report:

“When I addressed the media at the Super Bowl on January 26 -- over 14 weeks ago -- I stated that I unconditionally believed that the New England Patriots had done nothing inappropriate in this process or in violation of the NFL rules and that I was disappointed in the way the league handled the initial investigation. That sentiment has not changed.

“I was convinced that Ted Wells’ investigation would find the same factual evidence supported by both scientific formula and independent research as we did and would ultimately exonerate the Patriots. Based on the explanations I have heard and the studies that have been done, I don’t know how the science of atmospheric conditions can be refuted or how conclusions to the contrary can be drawn without some definitive evidence.

“What is not highlighted in the text of the report is that three of the Colts’ four footballs measured by at least one official were under the required psi level. As far as we are aware, there is no comparable data available from any other game because, in the history of the NFL, psi levels of footballs have never been measured at halftime, in any climate. If they had been, based on what we now know, it is safe to assume that every cold-weather game was played with under-inflated footballs. As compelling a case as the Wells Report may try to make, I am going to rely on the factual evidence of numerous scientists and engineers rather than inferences from circumstantial evidence.

“Throughout the process of this nearly four-month investigation, we have cooperated and patiently awaited its outcome. To say we are disappointed in its findings, which do not include any incontrovertible or hard evidence of deliberate deflation of footballs at the AFC Championship Game, would be a gross understatement. In addition, given our level of cooperation throughout the process, I was offended by the comments made in the Wells Report in reference to not making an individual available for a follow-up interview. What the report fails to mention is that he had already been interviewed four times and we felt the fifth request for access was excessive for a part-time game day employee who has a full-time job with another employer.

“While I respect the independent process of the investigation, the time, effort and resources expended to reach this conclusion are incomprehensible to me. Knowing that there is no real recourse available, fighting the league and extending this debate would prove to be futile. We understand and greatly respect the responsibility of being one of 32 in this league and, on that basis, we will accept the findings of the report and take the appropriate actions based on those findings as well as any discipline levied by the league.”

That smug, delusional, cradle-robbing, self-righteous, god-damn son of a bitch.

Unfortunately I still think Pats will only have a financial penalty. Without hard evidence they can't get docked a pick.

The NFL is not a court of law. They didn't have "hard evidence" in either BountyGate or the Aaron Hernandez suspension.

I think they (nfl) are trying to establish time frame with this.  The NFL does not want the * anymore than Cheatorites do.  I think if you closely read the document they are trying to frame it around this season "started with game against jets" etc....  They dont want anyone to say the last 10 years have been a fraud NFL.

Very clever actually.  This was probably all agreed to by Brady and co ahead of time, Belicheat, Kraft, and commish...even the other owners

clever keeping brady away from WH too.

The NFL is not a court of law. They didn't have "hard evidence" in either BountyGate or the Aaron Hernandez suspension.

And the last thing in the world the Pats would want would be for it to go to a real court of law, that opens up testimony under oath, subpoenas etc.  These suspisiciosn would be confirmed very quickly.  Anything the NFL gives the pats will be accepted by them quickly even if they put up a fuss on the exterior.

Of course there's nothing about competitive advantage. Why would there be? There's no data.

Hence, an investigation. This is shaping up to a "policies weren't followed, no indication competitive advantage was obtained (because we didn't look for it)"-slap-on-wrist type of penalty/fine.

DeflateGate report shows Patriots staffers texting ‘F--k tom,’ when discussing deflating Tom Brady’s footballs 

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Wednesday, May 6, 2015, 3:06 PM
  •  

Share this URL
461747282.jpgElsa/Getty Images Text messages between two Patriots staffers show Jim McNally, a 32-year Patriots employee, routinely trashing Tom Brady, writing ‘F--k tom,’ in text messages with John Jastremski.

“F--k Tom.”

The man who was deflating Tom Brady’s footballs wasn’t a fan of the Patriots quarterback, text messages included in Ted Wells’ report on DeflateGate show.

Exchanges between Jim McNally and John Jastremski — the Patriots employees who handled the footballs that were deflated — are littered with McNally blistering Brady, routinely writing “F--k tom” in exchanges with Jastremski.

Wells’ DeflateGate report — which found that Brady was “generally aware” of the practice of deflating footballs — included a series of texts between the two, with McNally trashing the four-time Super Bowl champ.

Following New England’s 27-25 win over the Jets in Week 7, Brady “complained angrily” about the inflation levels of the footballs, the report stated, which prompted an exchange between McNally and Jastremski.

“Tom sucks,” McNally wrote in a text message to Jastremski. “im going to make that next ball a f--king balloon.”

RELATED: PATRIOTS OWNER ROBERT KRAFT CALLS DEFLATEGATE FINDINGS 'INCOMPREHENSIBLE'

A week later, on October 23, Jastremski texted McNally “Can’t wait to give you your needle this week:)” to which McNally responded, “F--k tom....make sure the pump is attached to the needle.....f--kin watermelons coming.”

“So angry,” Jastremski responded.

“The only thing deflating sun..is his passing rating,” McNally responded.

nydailynews_cplogo.png?t=1430924280
DeflateGate Report Finds Tom Brady Probably 'Generally Aware' Patriots Balls were Deflated
The Wells Report, which investigates if the Patriots deflated footballs during the AFC Championship Game against the Colts, was released to the public at 1 p.m. on Wednesday, and it doesn't look good
NY Daily News

DeflateGate Report Finds Tom Brady Probably 'Generally Aware' Patriots Balls were Deflated
The Wells Report, which investigates if the Patriots deflated footballs during the AFC Championship Game against the Colts, was released to the public at 1 p.m. on Wednesday, and it doesn't look good
NY Daily News

21548156.jpg?t=1430924280
This video player must be at least 300x168 pixels in order to operate.

NY Daily News

The report also shows that the two were aware of deflating footballs as early as May of 2014, with McNally referring to himself as “the deflator” in texts with Jastremski.

McNally worked for the Patriots for 32 years as a seasonal part-time employee and, judging from the text messages, knew that the Patriots were playing fast and loose with the rules.

“I’m not going to ESPN........ yet,” he texted Jastremski on May 9, 2014.

In addition to cursing Brady, McNally also seemed to want some sort of payment in exchange for his ball deflating services.

“I have a big needle for u this week,” Jastremski wrote to McNally before a Week 8 game against the Bears.

“Better be surrounded by cash and newkicks....or its a rugby sunday,” McNally responded. “F--k tom.”

McNally and Jastremski were key figures in the investigation, with their names appearing 498 and 543 times, respectively, in the report. By comparison, Brady’s name appears 378 times.

deflating the balls really isn't a big deal

lying about it sure is

lets see if shady brady shows some integrity and admits to what he did, of if he takes the chicken sh*t way out and throws the equipment guy under the bus

gee, I wonder, lol

DeflateGate report shows Patriots staffers texting ‘F--k tom,’ when discussing deflating Tom Brady’s footballs 

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Wednesday, May 6, 2015, 3:06 PM
  •  

Share this URL
461747282.jpgElsa/Getty Images Text messages between two Patriots staffers show Jim McNally, a 32-year Patriots employee, routinely trashing Tom Brady, writing ‘F--k tom,’ in text messages with John Jastremski.

“F--k Tom.”

The man who was deflating Tom Brady’s footballs wasn’t a fan of the Patriots quarterback, text messages included in Ted Wells’ report on DeflateGate show.

Exchanges between Jim McNally and John Jastremski — the Patriots employees who handled the footballs that were deflated — are littered with McNally blistering Brady, routinely writing “F--k tom” in exchanges with Jastremski.

Wells’ DeflateGate report — which found that Brady was “generally aware” of the practice of deflating footballs — included a series of texts between the two, with McNally trashing the four-time Super Bowl champ.

Following New England’s 27-25 win over the Jets in Week 7, Brady “complained angrily” about the inflation levels of the footballs, the report stated, which prompted an exchange between McNally and Jastremski.

“Tom sucks,” McNally wrote in a text message to Jastremski. “im going to make that next ball a f--king balloon.”

RELATED: PATRIOTS OWNER ROBERT KRAFT CALLS DEFLATEGATE FINDINGS 'INCOMPREHENSIBLE'

A week later, on October 23, Jastremski texted McNally “Can’t wait to give you your needle this week:)” to which McNally responded, “F--k tom....make sure the pump is attached to the needle.....f--kin watermelons coming.”

“So angry,” Jastremski responded.

“The only thing deflating sun..is his passing rating,” McNally responded.

NY Daily News

NY Daily News

21548156.jpg?t=1430924280
This video player must be at least 300x168 pixels in order to operate.

NY Daily News

The report also shows that the two were aware of deflating footballs as early as May of 2014, with McNally referring to himself as “the deflator” in texts with Jastremski.

McNally worked for the Patriots for 32 years as a seasonal part-time employee and, judging from the text messages, knew that the Patriots were playing fast and loose with the rules.

“I’m not going to ESPN........ yet,” he texted Jastremski on May 9, 2014.

In addition to cursing Brady, McNally also seemed to want some sort of payment in exchange for his ball deflating services.

“I have a big needle for u this week,” Jastremski wrote to McNally before a Week 8 game against the Bears.

“Better be surrounded by cash and newkicks....or its a rugby sunday,” McNally responded. “F--k tom.”

McNally and Jastremski were key figures in the investigation, with their names appearing 498 and 543 times, respectively, in the report. By comparison, Brady’s name appears 378 times.

Only in Pat Land is this not a "smoking gun." Hell they convicted Hernandez on less.

Hence, an investigation. This is shaping up to a "policies weren't followed, no indication competitive advantage was obtained (because we didn't look for it)"-slap-on-wrist type of penalty/fine.

No amount of investigation changes the fact that in order to determine whether there's a competitive advantage from deflating the balls, you need to have a sample of games known to have been played with deflated balls to compare to games known not to have been played with deflated balls.

No amount of investigation changes the fact that in order to determine whether there's a competitive advantage from deflating the balls, you need to have a sample of games known to have been played with deflated balls to compare to games known not to have been played with deflated balls.

My point is the report didn't address it, but that won't stop the NFL from saying "there is no evidence of such a thing" as if they even attempted to look for any. And by the way, how can you EVER prove or disprove competitive advantage? The rule exists SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO. Break the rule, the presumption is that you cheated to gain unfair advantage, and should be punished as such. If a poker player gets caught with an Ace up his sleeve, he can't walk out of the casino with his finger bones intact by saying "but you can't prove I used that card to win any hands."

Archived