Sign in to follow this  
Jet Fan RI

Roger Goodell says Deflategate report should be released 'soon'...***updated 5/6: REPORT RELEASED*** (starts page 8)

Even Boston writers are admitting the obvious.

More tarnish on Patriot legacy, this time tainting Tom Brady
    Share via e-mail

To

Add a message

Your e-mail

69 Comments Print
shaughnessy.pngBy Dan Shaughnessy Globe Columnist  May 07, 2015

It’s a bad day for the Patriots. It’s an especially bad day for New England’s iconic quarterback, Tom Brady.

The Patriots are Super Bowl champs, but the NFL also believes the Patriots are cheaters. The Patriots certainly didn’t need to illegally deflate footballs to beat the Indianapolis Colts, 45-7, in the AFC Championship game, but according to Ted Wells’s report released Wednesday, they went ahead and did it anyway.

The reports also says it is “more probable than not” that Brady “was at least generally aware” of the tampering. Golden Boy Tom is likely to be sanctioned when the NFL doles out its punishment in the wake of the damning report issued Wednesday afternoon.

So there. Deflategate takes its place alongside Spygate. The damage to the Patriot brand is universal and eternal. Brady, the Patriots, and their fans have to live with it.

Patriot toadies no doubt will line up to say that the league did not prove anything that would hold up in a court of law (Brady’s dad has already labeled it “Framegate”). It’s all circumstantial, they’ll say. Plus, it says right in the report that Bob Kraft and Bill Belichick knew nothing about the intentional deflation of the footballs. It was just a couple of rogue equipment guys breaking the rules.

Good luck with that one, folks. Bend yourself into a pretzel if you must, but Brady and the Patriots are insulting your intelligence if they want you to believe that they were not aware of what was happening to the footballs on game days.

No organization, no coach, are more attentive to detail than the Patriots and Belichick. And we’re supposed to believe that before the kickoff of the AFC Championship game, a veteran team locker room guy can disappear while he’s in possession of game balls that have already been approved by officials?

Seriously, when do the Patriots stop lying and come clean on this thing? The damage is done. Insistence on innocence is not likely to be helpful when we get to the penalty phase of this scandal.

Nobody in Foxborough looks good. Brady looks like a guy who broke the rules and lied about it. Belichick looks ridiculous in the wake of his Jan. 24 Mona Lisa Vito science lesson. And Kraft evidently has been duped. Again. Just as he was duped on Spygate. And on Aaron Hernandez.

Remember Kraft’s defiance when he arrived in Glendale, Ariz., for the Super Bowl?

“I believe, unconditionally, that the New England Patriots have done nothing inappropriate in this process or in violation of NFL rules,’’ Kraft stated in his throwdown speech on Super Bowl Monday. He told us Belichick and Brady have never lied to him and then he said he wanted an apology if the investigation “is not able to definitely determine that our organization tampered with the air pressure in the footballs.’’

The 243-page report released Wednesday concludes that it is “more probable than not” the Patriots broke the rules and deflated the footballs. The mountain of evidence makes it impossible to draw any other conclusion. The paper trail indicates that Brady did not communicate with equipment guy John Jastremski for six months, then engaged in multiple conversations with Jastremski (more than 20 minutes of talking) in the days after the scandal broke.

The notion that Belichick did not know this was going on makes one’s head explode. Nothing happens in Foxborough without Belichick’s knowledge. Reporters check in at “security command” and are videotaped asking questions. No detail is too insignificant.

On Jan. 24, Belichick defiantly explained why the footballs would have become deflated during the course of the AFC Championship. It was all about science and weather. Unfortunately, the report states that only the 11 Patriot footballs were discovered to have a PSI level below league limits. All four Colt footballs magically maintained a PSI within the league limit. So Belichick’s science explanation is flawed.

But it is Brady who has the most explaining to do.

It stretches all believability to conclude that he had nothing to do with this. And it damages his hard-earned legacy across America. There are simply too many football people telling us that there is no way Brady can be telling the truth.

We all know that America is populated by jealous Patriot haters. Brady and the Patriots do themselves no service by impeding the investigation (team counsel would not let Wells have a second interview with McNally) or telling us the sun is out when we are standing in the middle of a downpour.

The Patriots won the Super Bowl fair and square, with PSI-regulation footballs. They did not need deflated footballs to beat the Colts. It certainly cannot be proven that the Patriots were doing this every week. But now they have armed their legion of enemies with a new weapon.

A deflated football is easier to throw, easier to catch, and harder to fumble, according to Slate. The rule allowing each team to prepare its own game balls went into effect in 2006. Since 2007, the Patriots have fumbled far less than the NFL average (once every 187 plays, compared with once every 105 for the rest of the league). They have also been the greatest bad-weather team in the history of football.

Now folks in Pittsburgh and Denver and Indianapolis are going to say the Patriots have been better because they cheated. This makes the deflation of footballs more than rolling through a stop sign. If there were no competitive advantage, why would the Patriots be doing it?

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell loves Kraft, loves Brady, and he loves the Patriots, but he presumably has to answer to 31 other owners — most of whom have had their butts kicked by the Patriots on a regular basis.

Sanctions are coming. For Brady and maybe for the Patriots.

It’s about systematically breaking the rules of competition. It’s about a loss of institutional control.

And a legacy tarnished once again.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

Great article. 

It makes me think of the Yankees a bit.  When Jeter and Rivera retired they both received ovations in every stadium they entered in their final seasons.  Even though the Yankees were a hated team those two guys never got in any trouble and handled everything with class.

Even though I despise the Patriots if Brady weren't arrogant and a cheater if I knew it were his final season I would have clapped for him once.  Problem is he not only was always arrogant but he is now also a cheater.

I use baseball again but he will be remembered like McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, etc.  Who can respect him now for this? 

We can debate the impact it had on the games and if other people do it but think of someone who is speeding on the highway.  Another car comes speeding by and you say to the cop well that guy is speeding.  Doesn't matter you're the one who got caught and is pulled over. 

Very well said.

Jete and Mo have class. That's universally respected.

Brady and Beli have asterisks.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

And more than that, I think they're all covering for Belichick. Brady refused to hand over his phone to investigators, but that didn't help him when they got hold of the phones of the two locker room attendants. But what if those aren't the only guys Brady had 20 minute phone conversations or texts with? You don't think he was in steady communication with Bill Belichick? That Bill wasn't telling him to cover his t, this investigation racks as best as possible? I haven't heard anywhere about the investigators even asking for Belichick's phone while allegedly absolving him. Seems convenient. 

To me, it's ridiculous to think that Belichick didn't know exactly what was going on with Brady's balls. The man is all about overseeing every little thing that team does. 

True dat.

Also, this investigation did not focus on WR's, TE's and RB's the Patsies's have.

If you are holding onto the ball you have to know what was going on.

Peyton Manning, the now, once again, greatest QB of our generation, approves.

"Double thumbs up brosky" -Peyton Manning

That debate is settled once and for all.

Heck at this point Brady is as good as disqualified from that conversation.

You gotta be kidding me.

What's there to love about this cheating douchebag scum. I am sure as a guy who caught those deflated balls he is aware of what exactly was going on. He should have been investigated.

On top of that in this video he is using charities for kids as cover from answering questions about Deflategate. That is essentially the lowest of lowlife stuff right there.

lets not lose sight this also helped the Pats have fewest fumbles of any NFL team since Brady there.. competitve advantage goes beyond just throwing/gripping ball and making it easier to catch..it effects BIGGEST factor in a game, aka TURNOVERS

That's what i am wondering WHY none of the WR's, TE's and RB's are part of the investigation. They are accessories to this cheating. The suspension should be for all people who are directly and indirectly beneficiaries of these deflated balls.

they may not have know, but they certainly benefited

They had to know. There is  no other way. How do you explain all the drops and fumbles once many of these guys left the Pats ?

Seriously are you a sh*tbag reporter?

How can you defend reporters asking him questions about deflategate when he is at a charity event for children.

Stop being a fanboy and really think that out or at least try.

Plenty of time to question him, but when he is at a charity even that is ridivulous.

Pats and their fans have lost the right of self indignation is any form, shape or manner.

The Patriots are cheats and douchebags of the lowest kind and their  fans who carry the water for them are even worse.

P.S: Next time spare me the personal attacks.

Very true.  I am not saying he should not be asked, but wait until after the event instead of during the event. 

At some point, when  not surrounded by kids, he left.  Then it is game on.

She didn't ask him during the event. He was asked as he was leaving:

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/tv-reporter-asks-gronk-about-ballghazi-gronk-flexes-in-1702683047

Bazinga!

And you must lead a truly sad life.

I am sure he has more life than a guy who trolls on rival football fan websites.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

According to the Miami Herald, Brady could be suspended for up to one year thanks to the part he played in Deflategate.

Anything less than a season and it's a joke.

I also wonder why Belichick and the WR's, RB's, TE's are being getting a free pass.

• Upvote 1

I have to believe BB will get some sort of suspension too...probably a game.

Brady will likely be 8 games - BB 1 game, 1st rounder and $500k fine...

If I had to guess that's where I would go.

This is a 2nd serious offense of cheating under his regime. This is a guy everyone loves to proclaim he is in control of everything under the roof. And suddenly he does not even get slapped on the wrist for it.

If the NFL and the commish are serious about integrity of the game, anything less than a season's suspension for BB is a joke.

Maybe so, but then again..I was invited here by the owner.  So I have that going for me.  :)

You are still a troll and he is not. Advantage him.

And both you and him are trolling a troll...so in fact you are trolls and not some great defender of the New York Jets' honor.

:face:

I would call you pathetic if only i did not realize that would insult the pathetic.

• Upvote 2

They weren't asked to bring forward their text messaging results for the last yesr. Brady was and refused to do so ~ twice!

That means the investigation was inomplete. They should have demanded smartphones of all WR's and TE's and RB's and the HC and the owner. If they took so long they might have as well done something with that time.

I tend to agree, and I think the Pats -despite their public protestations- are not only resigned to the fact, but signed off on it. This report completely exonerated Belichick without investigating him at all. They failed to get Brady's phone, and never asked for Bill's. I can't imagine anyone who's followed Bill Belichicks career at all believes for a second that he didn't know about Tom's soft balls, or even had a hand in executing the whole thing. If they'd gotten Bill, the whole organization would've been tainted much, much worse. It's a big enough deal that they're letting Brady be the fall guy to protect the franchise. And they'll accept the penalty because they don't want any further investigation. There's no doubt that Belichick is involved.

That's what's baffling about this investigation. Bill has been given a free pass. Why didn't they want at the very least to look at Belicheat's phone specially since the league has sanctioned him for cheating before. This defies common sense.

It's like a known bank robber who went to jail for it was seen very very close to another bank robbery. I am sure the cops would want to dig deep into whether he was involved or not.

In this case Beli was let off the hook.

What?

I am sure they were crying to the bank when the 24/7 coverage of Deflategate after the AFCC helped this superbolw become one of the most watched.

So by your logic Pats should cheat more because it increases the ratings. Yep. Yep. Who knew one team cheating was the secret of success for the league.

I have heard a lot of stupid but you surpass that.

• Upvote 4

WEEI reporting it's going to be 6-8 games for Brady.

6 to 8 games is not enough. It just shows the league is not serious about protecting the integrity of the game.

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company