Sign in to follow this  
Jet Fan RI

Roger Goodell says Deflategate report should be released 'soon'...***updated 5/6: REPORT RELEASED*** (starts page 8)

This all means nothing. We all know the Pats doctored the balls and there was zero way a hall of fame quarterback didn't know that. He had everything to do with it.

That being said.. nothing is going to happen to Brady or the Pats. They'll get a fine, which will barely dent the pockets of anybody, and the story will go away. Anybody who thinks Brady is going to get suspended for any amount of time is probably insane.. but I hope those people are right.

I really think you're wrong about this.  I was the first person to say they were going to get away this but that report is damning evidence, they not only cheated but also orchestrated a cover-up...

They are going to be penalized relatively harshly.  multiple game suspension for Brady, 1st round draft pick and likely a short suspension for BB...

The commish has to come down hard here - he has very little choice.

And both you and him are trolling a troll...so in fact you are trolls and not some great defender of the New York Jets' honor.

:face:

I would call you pathetic if only i did not realize that would insult the pathetic.

• Upvote 2

This is all over the news not just the sports news either. I now come to conclusion Brady will get a suspension maybe 4 or 6 games. Doubt the Pats will get anything though along with Bill.

Statement from Tom Brady's agent, Don Yee:

"The Wells report, with all due respect, is a significant and terrible disappointment. It’s omission of key facts and lines of inquiry suggest the investigators reached a conclusion first, and then determined so-called facts later. One item alone taints this entire report. What does it say about the league office’s protocols and ethics when it allows one team to tip it off to an issue prior to a championship game, and no league officials or game officials notified the Patriots of the same issue prior to the game? This suggests it may be more probable than not that the league cooperated with the Colts in perpetrating a sting operation. The Wells report buries this issue in a footnote on page 46 without any further elaboration. The league is a significant client of the investigators' law firm; it appears to be a rich source of billings and media exposure based on content in the law firm's website. This was not an independent investigation and the contents of the report bear that out – all one has to do is read closely and critically, as opposed to simply reading headlines. The investigators' assumptions and inferences are easily debunked or subject to multiple interpretations. Much of the report’s vulnerabilities are buried in the footnotes, which is a common legal writing tactic. It is a sad day for the league as it has abdicated the resolution of football-specific issues to people who don’t understand the context or culture of the sport. I was physically present for my client’s interview. I have verbatim notes of the interview. Tom made himself available for nearly an entire day and patiently answered every question. It was clear to me the investigators had limited understanding of professional football. For reasons unknown, the Wells report omitted nearly all of Tom’s testimony, most of which was critical because it would have provided this report with the context that it lacks. Mr. Wells promised back in January to share the results of this investigation publicly, so why not follow through and make public all of the information gathered and let the public draw its own conclusions? This report contains significant and tragic flaws, and it is common knowledge in the legal industry that reports like this generally are written for the benefit of the purchaser."

"Benefit of the purchaser"?  Why would it benefit the NFL to have its biggest marquee star and dynasty team get slammed like this?  And is he saying that the NFL should have accused them of cheating before the game without any evidence?  And yes, the law firm was paid for their work.  That is how it is done.  This is really desperate stuff.

I know I'm skeptical when it comes to any hard punishments being handed down, but the way that they are fighting back hard makes me wonder if they know that they aren't getting any help from Goodell. If Goodell had told them that he was going to cover for them and hand out meaningless penalties, I would imagine he would have AT LEAST told them to act penitent and remorseful. It almost look like they're thinking: "Well, if we're going down, we're going down swinging."

This is fascinating.

Yep.  Ejection, fine, and one game suspension.  And a lot of times in baseball, the opposing teams won't even point out stuff like that unless it gets ridiculous.  Goodell will probably go for more though as his punishments tend to follow public opinion (e.g. Ray Rice) and everyone outside of NE is calling for blood.  As a Pats fan I'm disappointed in pretty much everyone involved in this situation.  Cheating is wrong and should be punished.  If Brady did it, there's no excuse.  That being said it's not really a big deal imo.  Every team in the league does this kind of stuff.  It's just not very newsworthy when it's a team like the Chargers.  If the NFL actually cared about the integrity of the game, they would be much harsher on things like PEDs, but their drug policy is a joke.  Ultimately, all the NFL cares about right now is money, so their actions on this situation have been, and will continue to be, carefully calculated to preserve their image (and profits) as much as possible.

You can not compare baseball to football - two totally difference scenarios...

First of all - Football has 16 games vs. 162.  Secondly, when the player gets caught he almost certainly accepts his punishment and takes it like a man...Third, they've been doing this for years and have gained a substantial advantage.

Additionally, so much of this is about the cover-up and lies and lastly, this is about the culture of cheating that has been going on with this organization for over a decade.  The other 31 owners have clearly had enough and are throwing around their collective weight to overtake Kraft and the commissioner he has in his pocket.  The penalties will be serious and well deserved.

This is about so much more than deflating balls...

Maybe so, but then again..I was invited here by the owner.  So I have that going for me.  :)

I didn't know we had an owner.  I thought we were an autonomous collective.

• Upvote 3

Yep.  Ejection, fine, and one game suspension.  And a lot of times in baseball, the opposing teams won't even point out stuff like that unless it gets ridiculous.  Goodell will probably go for more though as his punishments tend to follow public opinion (e.g. Ray Rice) and everyone outside of NE is calling for blood.  As a Pats fan I'm disappointed in pretty much everyone involved in this situation.  Cheating is wrong and should be punished.  If Brady did it, there's no excuse.  That being said it's not really a big deal imo.  Every team in the league does this kind of stuff.  It's just not very newsworthy when it's a team like the Chargers.  If the NFL actually cared about the integrity of the game, they would be much harsher on things like PEDs, but their drug policy is a joke.  Ultimately, all the NFL cares about right now is money, so their actions on this situation have been, and will continue to be, carefully calculated to preserve their image (and profits) as much as possible.

The every team in the league excuse is 100% dog crap.  The point about the Chargers is correct, but has nothing to do with being newsworthy.  When the Saints had bountygate they got hammered. Was that not covered in the news?   So stop with the conspiracy crap about the Patriots.  The Patriots are serial cheaters and because of that they deserve to be treated like criminals more than any other team in the  league.  They earned it.   When someone gets arrested for a crime the first thing a cop does is see if they have a prior history.  Patriots been cheating for a decade.  

• Upvote 3

Ok, I will play devil's advocate.

They had texts from the Ski guy to Tom.  As far as I know, the report did not say he denied any texts.  In fact, he said they were his.  So they have proof the communicated.

What compelling reason would he have to give his phone now?  I am not saying they misinterpreted anything, but they did make some mountains out of mole hills.  Why would he let them review anything else when a text to Edelman saying, "you like my soft balls" could be misconstrued. 

Please read what I said above and answer why didn't they include more of Tom's testimony?  Or even interaction between Jim and Ski to establish a baseline of their relationship?  Maybe, it hurts their case.

Why would he give up his phone?

Simple to PROVE his innocence.

The turning over of the phone could totally have exonerated Brady, that is why you give over the phone.

Now the texts in question can be put in a different context if you know what you are doing.  IMO the key in a defense is the framing of the story. Brady could by simply turning over his phone could have gotten in front of the story and framed it in a way that was advantageous to his overall defense.  But Brady literally refused multiple requests to do this basic defensive strategy. 

Instead Brady basically is saying hey "I did X,Y and Z.  I had nothing to do with any deflation of any balls and I know nothing about that stuff... but you can't look at my phone which would PROVE in part what I am saying"  Does this make sense to you??????

This line of defense to any competent litigator is preposterous.

Honest folks don't act like this especially ones who are not subject to criminal prosecution.  The truth is innocent people act outraged by the mere hint that they are a suspect (and here is the key part) and they will do all they can to volunteer suggestions or evidence (the phone) they believe will help in the investigation not stonewall as Brady and the Pats did in this case.

Brady did the exact opposite of above.... He stonewalled the investigation (no phone) and even had the audacity to enroll his father, agent and even Kraft in to this theatre of the absurd.  

With this as the backdrop why include more of his testimony? 

Brady said he didn't do it so what can he add through more testimony exposition?  Answer... Nothing!!  

He wants to talk about how he helps the blind to see and the lame to walk let him do it on his own dime not in the confines of the investigation.

This wasn't reality TV, the only thing that should be included is evidence which tends to either prove or disprove the conclusions. How Brady feels, or his view of why this case is being brought is simply not relevant.  This is why Brady's agent didn't say Brady offered testimony that would exculpate him.  Rather they have been arguing the totally meaningless point that more of Brady's (self-serving) statements should have been included

IMO Brady lied and the professional litigators know he lied and now it is up to the NFL to levy the appropriate and reasonable punishment.

• Upvote 2

They can be as harsh as they like, there is nothing the pats or brady can or will do about it other than bleat and whine.  The report as it is leaves enough doubt in their fans, owners, etc minds.  A true legal proceeding would take all of hat away and lead to a Lance Armstrong, Baseball steroid user like moment.

Actually, no. If you read the report, the wording used is exactly the standard stated in the rules for proving the rules were broken. So saying Brady "more likely than not" knew that the balls were being deflated means the report is saying Brady definitely broke the rules. Period, despite the Patriots' apologists. 

• Upvote 1

Crowd at Salem is chanting MVP for Brady. People are in denial as it is so obvious. Hail to the Most Valuable Perpetrator. Total cop out on live T.V. (NFL network) he knows he got caught. 

Crowd at Salem is chanting MVP for Brady. People are in denial as it is so obvious. Hail to the Most Valuable Perpetrator. Total cop out on live T.V. (NFL network) he knows he got caught. 

he was sweating his ass off !!!   then the says he has no reaction

what a coward

some "leadership" talk

the degree of hero worship we as a culture pay our athletes is grotesque

• Upvote 4

I'm thinking that accusing the NFL of cheating while they consider your penalty for cheating is not good advice

but hey, this asshat agent keeps giving the pats hometown discounts so maybe he is just a dumbass

• Upvote 2

But really how did you expect them react? How did you expect his dad or agent to react? I find this most funny w fans..

Most fans here would be doing the same thing pats fans would be doing, if it was a jet QB i would expect his parent n agent to react the same.

I always love how all fans act like they dont act like each other..

But really how did you expect them react? How did you expect his dad or agent to react? I find this most funny w fans..

Most fans here would be doing the same thing pats fans would be doing, if it was a jet QB i would expect his parent n agent to react the same.

at some point someone has to act like integrity matters

I would tell tom to look at a-rod and armstrong.  it catches up to you eventually.   he was sweating his ass off and looked like he wanted to puke.  he never thought it would come to this

he needs to just give over his cell phone and come clean

• Upvote 3

I would tell tom to look at a-rod and armstrong. it catches up to you eventually. he was sweating his ass off and looked like he wanted to puke. he never thought it would come to this

Agreed.

I am sorry but if this was a Jet I would be calling him to come clean.

As an example and know it's not the same but - I was a big Rex fan but his BS hit a point where I learned who he was an conceded his problems as a blow hard.

As a fan you have to have integrity too. You want to support him, fine. He made a mistake but I'm still a fan, I can live with that but these denials and continued cover ups are simply discraceful.

• Upvote 2

Agreed.

I am sorry but if this was a Jet I would be calling him to come clean.

As an example and know it's not the same but - I was a big Rex fan but his BS hit a point where I learned who he was an conceded his problems as a blow hard.

As a fan you have to have integrity too. You want to support him, fine. He made a mistake but I'm still a fan, I can live with that but these denials and continued cover ups are simply discraceful.

its funny how people think jets fans like the team, lol

I would tell tom to look at a-rod and armstrong.  it catches up to you eventually.   he was sweating his ass off and looked like he wanted to puke.  he never thought it would come to this

I agree w you 150%

• Upvote 1

"Most valuable perpetrator?"  Very nice.  If my man boobs didn't get in the way I would clap for you.  

• Upvote 2

I just want to say I find that the fact there is no word on Grantland.com on this issue is hilarious

if it was Peyton Manning there would be 10 first page pieces on this.

Whoa....that Salem State thing....just showed clip of it on ESPN....wow. He looked like he was about to go postal with guilt. 

Whoa....that Salem State thing....just showed clip of it on ESPN....wow. He looked like he was about to go postal with guilt. 

sweating his ass off.  nervous as hell.   I wonder if he knows something like he's getting suspended for 2 months

He looks like me when Mrs. Crusher ask me, "What happen to the rest of the cake?"   Tome please listen to Crusher.  Just admit you got little girly hands and like balls to be soft and supple.  Take your punishment and prove you can play without cheating.  "Come on man!"

Totally bro. We are so above all that. Me and you. 

• Upvote 3

He looks like me when Mrs. Crusher ask me, "What happen to the rest of the cake?"   Tome please listen to Crusher.  Just admit you got little girly hands and like balls to be soft and supple.  Take your punishment and prove you can play without cheating.  "Come on man!"

It's uncomfortable to watch. 

"AB.so.LUTELY not... herher"

WTF????lol

Someone who is not guilty doesn't need time to digest a report, they know they are not guilty and would say so.

• Upvote 2

Was hostile to you? I didnt think i was. *shru shoulders*

*shru shoulders back*

guess I'll c you around. I guess. 

• Upvote 2

Someone who is not guilty doesn't need time to digest a report, they know they are not guilty and would say so.

The man is so overwhelmed and riddled with guilt his entire face was frozen tight.