Roger Goodell says Deflategate report should be released 'soon'...***updated 5/6: REPORT RELEASED*** (starts page 8)

Jet Fan RI

If the Spygate and Deflategate investigations (both of which angered Kraft to no end and resulted in an unprecedented fine in the former case and an unprecedented pre-Super Bowl distraction in the latter case) were the product of an improper relationship with Goodell, then Kraft is not getting much bang for his improper relationship bucks. 

You would think 44 million a year would reap more benefits.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect Goodell very well may not hit the Pats, even if they deserve it. But that is a dark suspicion, not based on the facts of the case but on what may be an improper relationship  between Goodell and Kraft.. And hearsay has nothing to do with it. To make a case for the statistical impossibility of the fumble rate improvement and its lining up in time with the rule change, a complete independent analysis would be required. And if the physicist, or a mathematician whose help he may seek, produces such an analysis and it does in fact show it is impossible for the improvement to have occurred without something beyond the rules having occurred, that would be a solid reason for severe punishment. No hearsay involved whatsoever. 

If they do attach it that way, hopefully they will not use the tragically flawed Sharp report which has been torn to shreds.  Showing the Patriots better numbers are not so much an outlier, but more a good trend.

I think it's pretty clear they deserve it.  They purposely deflated footballs to gain an illegal competitive advantage - and it sounds like they were doing it for years.  Problem for the NFL is how to dole out punishment.

If they truly believe they cheated they would have to hammer them with very serious penalties - multiple draft picks and likely a year suspension for BB....but they're not going to do that to the superbowl champ and BB - but a small penalty for such a serious violation would come across as BS - saying they cheated but we're only taking a 4th round pick next year.  That would harm the integrity of the game worse...

realistically the only thing the league can do is to say they did nothing wrong - or something along the lines of "we found no evidence to show that there was any wrongdoing"

If anyone is expecting anything other than that - I think you're going to be disappointed.

I, for one, will be officially done with the Roger Goodell NFL - but the league mostly won't be harmed.

If the league allows a statistical study of the fumble rates and how they correlate with the rule change, I agree. Punishment is unquestionably deserved. But if all they allow is the results of the physical testing, there is a possibility that no firm conclusion may be reached. At that point the clarity of deserved punishment isn't there.

The Pats flipped him to the Saints for a bounty of draft picks (3rd, 4th and 7th), so he couldn't have been all bad.   

He was no Tavon Wilson.  :)  If I remember  correctly, he was kind of like McCourty, made some plays with his athleticism and missed plays by being out of position.

If they do attach it that way, hopefully they will not use the tragically flawed Sharp report which has been torn to shreds.  Showing the Patriots better numbers are not so much an outlier, but more a good trend.

I hope they don't use any report done by an outside entity, They need to do all the calculations themselves.

2 lbs of PSI is the equivalent of a feather.

But whatever floats your boat.

Wasn't the complaint grip and not weight?

It was raining vs Indy IIRC.

Crazy that NFL Refs didn't notice anything when they handle the ball on every single play.

Tex remember only one ball was under 2 PSI under.  Several were only half a feather and the remaining were at 'tick' under so a quarter feather.

Tex remember only one ball was under 2 PSI under.  Several were only half a feather and the remaining were at 'tick' under so a quarter feather.

What a pathetic example of trolling.  Unless you're joking around.  What does weight have to do with this? The issue is air pressure, not weight.  

Oh please let this ridiculous thing be over.  I have no doubt that the Pats have been using under inflated balls for a while now (Brady likes 'em that way, he said so himself and the Pats aberrant fumble rate is suspicious) and I have no doubt that there will be no punishment.  As long as the league now checks the balls in a consistent way for all games, the one good outcome of deflategate, this whole thing should go away.  The Pats will always find a good way to cheat.  I'm sure Belicheat has the next cheating mechanism already in place.  Time to move on to the next corruption.  Deflategate is stale.

There is nothing on the Pats.

They would have been docked 2015 draft picks if there was.

while i don't believe it was a mistake/accident/coincidence that 11 out of 12 or whatever balls were flat, i do agree with you the punishment will be minor/non-existent. fine for not following league protocols and procedures is my guess. even if goodell was convinced pats did something, calling the championship game's legitamacy into question is bad for the brand and preventing that is his job numero uno that he is paid $20M+ a year to do.

while i don't believe it was a mistake/accident/coincidence that 11 out of 12 or whatever balls were flat, i do agree with you the punishment will be minor/non-existent. fine for not following league protocols and procedures is my guess. even if goodell was convinced pats did something, calling the championship game's legitamacy into question is bad for the brand and preventing that is his job numero uno that he is paid $20M+ a year to do.

I agree that there's no way the league can admit the Super Bowl champs cheater.  But I think they'll be cleared of any wrong doing.  Something along the lines of "We saw no proof to suggest the Patriots purposely deflated the balls in that game or any others in the past"

That will be the end of it - Pats won't gloat or demand an apology - that will be Kraft's punishment (although Pat fans will) 

I hadn't heard any of that. But if true, it certainly gives the lie to the Belichick science experiments. No way there would be that much variation between the balls if the deflation was due to natural causes.

The balls were flat!

Whr re did you hear this?

I agree that there's no way the league can admit the Super Bowl champs cheater.  But I think they'll be cleared of any wrong doing.  Something along the lines of "We saw no proof to suggest the Patriots purposely deflated the balls in that game or any others in the past"

That will be the end of it - Pats won't gloat or demand an apology - that will be Kraft's punishment (although Pat fans will) 

It will be interesting. goodell is nothing if not a politician. the "investigation" is probably long over and right now he is thinking how he can punish pats in some way to appease those who feel they cheated while also not making the punishment such that it impugns the integrity of the superbowl. that's why i predict a very milquetoast "policies were not followed but the investigation determined that those protocol violations conferred no competitive impact on the game(s)" type of king solomon ruling with a cash fine--the ruling will be timed as such in hopes it has limited legs... like maybe beginning of training camp or if there is some major global calamity between now and then. then there will be a quiet rule change for 2016 where the league supplies the balls or certifies them on the sideline right before kickoff or something

The balls were flat!

Whr re did you hear this?

i know you're going to defend them, and that's fine. i'm less interested in debating whether it happened or not at this point but very interested to see how goodell unties this thing. nice to see someone who gets paid $20M earn it by squirming a little

If the investigation determines nothing happened, there will be no fall guy.

Proper regulations were not followed- some one or organization has to be responsible and held accountable.

I hadn't heard any of that. But if true, it certainly gives the lie to the Belichick science experiments. No way there would be that much variation between the balls if the deflation was due to natural causes.

The original leak, Kravitz,  was 11 of 12 were 2lbs under.

Then Florio (I believe) said only one was 2 under, several were about a pound and the remaining were a tick or not under.

The lie is that the Patriots gauged them and then the refs gauged them. SWAG here, but I am guessing there was nothing more than a grip test.  Tom probably did not liike the 1-2 lbs under and they let air out. 

The refs grabbed and thought they are good.

When people start questioning your integrity that means you have very little left. I think if Goodell lets Pats get away with cheating again with nothing more than a slap on the wrist there will severe repercussion's which would at best be put to rest by his firing. And even then NFL might lose some fans forever. Bottomline, whenever an integrity of a sport is up for debate usually the fandom loses interest in the sport.

Blame Revis or somebody else they lost in free agency and claim that's the real reason they didn't bring the player back because they didn't follow the "Patriot Way".

When people start questioning your integrity that means you have very little left. I think if Goodell lets Pats get away with cheating again with nothing more than a slap on the wrist there will severe repercussion's which would at best be put to rest by his firing. And even then NFL might lose some fans forever. Bottomline, whenever an integrity of a sport is up for debate usually the fandom loses interest in the sport.

I wish it were true, but I think you're wrong...SB had largest audience in history, a trillion people watched the draft...the NFL has moved on and so has 99.9% of the country.

I wish it were true, but I think you're wrong...SB had largest audience in history, a trillion people watched the draft...the NFL has moved on and so has 99.9% of the country.

So you are saying.1% is JN.  :)

In things like these you never know when the other shoe drops. But when the integrity of the game is in question it could be at any point of time and it could be very fatal. There has not been a single regular season game since DeflateGate. We will see what happens.

Archived