Damon Harrison signs Tender. Could he be a Trade Candidate?

Shockwave

There’s been talk about a possible trade of Jets defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson this week, but the Jets will be holding onto another starter on their defensive line.

Nose tackle Damon Harrison said Wednesday, via NJ.com, that he’s signed his restricted free agent tender with the team. It’s not a surprising development as Harrison has been taking part in workouts with the team and the deadline to sign an offer sheet with another club passed last Friday.

Harrison will make $2.356 million under the terms of the second-round tender, which would have required another team to give up a second-round pick in addition to signing Harrison to a deal that the Jets wouldn’t match.

Harrison has started every game for the Jets in between Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson over the last two seasons and has been one of the team’s top run defenders. He should remain in that spot for the 2015 season and it wouldn’t come as a shock if the Jets try to lock him up before he becomes an unrestricted free agent after next season.

The Last time we had a player sign his RFA this close to the draft was Abram Elam who was then promptly traded to cleveland 24 hours later. 

Dont be surprised to Harrison traded. We will certainly entertain offers in the next few days on him. 

This is a misleading thread.

Agreed - Reworded. 

Didn't Bowles say that one of the most important positions in his defense was run-stuffing NT?

Snacks will not be traded.

He surely wont be franchised next year. 

Youll see many players with one year left available this weekend and possibly traded (Michael Bennett etc) 

The Jets have proven you don't need to break the bank to have a upper echelon NG.

Jason Ferguson was a 7th rounder

Sione Pouha was a 3rd - and trash at that until Rex (one of his few coaching up miracles) improved his play

Ellis was a 3rd that was never utilized

Harrison is off the street

Tj Barnes will replace Harrison next year.

While it is a VITAL position according to Bowles in his defense, it is not a difficult position to replace.

If anything this might up the talk of Mo Wilk being in play.  Bowles commented on the importance of a NT in his defense.  If they think Harrsion is needed long term and Richardson then Wilk becomes the next most attractive guy.  I think they would have liked to move Coples to be honest.  We shall see.

He surely wont be franchised next year. Youll see many players with one year left available this weekend and possibly traded (Michael Bennett etc)

Do you mean to imply that another player will become available to us to replace Harrison?

My thinking was that if Bowles values what Harrison does so well--stuffing the run as a NT--then he is not so expendable as to be offered as trade. Unless you think that TJ Barnes is ready to take his place? Or perhaps Sheldon will play predominantly NT with Coples re-joining the line?

Even if it is for one more year, I think Harrison has too much value to be traded. Unless we get a really good return.

I think we will see plenty of Barnes in rotation this year.  I also think they won't trade Harrison.  I think as soon as the draft is over they will start negotiations with Snacks and Wilkerson.  $17M per for the pair?  I guess maybe we can get them both done for under $15M.  I think I would do that.

Who is going to clog up the middle?  WIlkerson has a better chance of being traded than Snacks.  We literally have nobody behind him except a homeless cupcake trying to make the roster.

TJ Barnes is why they could afford to let Kenrick Ellis walk via FA

With Kenrick Ellis gone, Snacks becomes too valuable to the run D to trade.

Pretty much. Bowles just said that NT and CB are the most important positions in his defense. He's not gonna rip a huge hole at NT, something that would affect the entire defense.

NG is not that difficult of a position to fill and the Jets have, historically, quite the knack for replacing these NGs.

Harrison is expendable with Barnes on the back burner. Not saying it should or I want it to happen, just that it would not be the end of the world

NG is not that difficult of a position to fill and the Jets have, historically, quite the knack for replacing these NGs.

Harrison is expendable with Barnes on the back burner. Not saying it should or I want it to happen, just that it would not be the end of the world

This is going a bit far.  They invested in the position with trades and picks (two #3s)  I like Barnes as much as the next guy, but he played only around 70 snaps last year. Less than half of Kenrick Ellis who I barely remember seeing the field.  The idea they would let Harrison walk without getting another starter seems pretty farfetched.  I am a little nervous they are going with Barnes as #1 backup. 

Barnes? You better be joking. He's not even a reliable backup at this point.

Have you been with him at minicamps and off-season? How do you know? Have you seen him regress or progress in person?

You have no idea, nor do I, but if you look around the league & our roster history, NG is not hard to fill and I would be willing to wager Barnes could be the eventual replacement at NG if the Jets were to unwisely unload him now. A year from now, Barnes would be entering his 3rd year as a pro and Dunbar had previously stated Barnes was the most improved of all the players he coached in terms of raw ability

This is going a bit far.  They invested in the position with trades and picks (two #3s)  I like Barnes as much as the next guy, but he played only around 70 snaps last year. Less than half of Kenrick Ellis who I barely remember seeing the field.  The idea they would let Harrison walk without getting another starter seems pretty farfetched.  I am a little nervous they are going with Barnes as #1 backup.

I simply disagree and we shall let the roster play itself out. I'm confident, like always, history repeats itself and we'll be fine with whoever comes in @ NG just like in years past.

Agree to disagree. NG is least of my concerns regarding this roster

Have you been with him at minicamps and off-season? How do you know? Have you seen him regress or progress in person?

You have no idea, nor do I, but if you look around the league & our roster history, NG is not hard to fill and I would be willing to wager Barnes could be the eventual replacement at NG if the Jets were to unwisely unload him now. A year from now, Barnes would be entering his 3rd year as a pro and Dunbar had previously stated Barnes was the most improved of all the players he coached in terms of raw ability

Not to mention, that guy is ******* huge!

Do you mean to imply that another player will become available to us to replace Harrison?

My thinking was that if Bowles values what Harrison does so well--stuffing the run as a NT--then he is not so expendable as to be offered as trade. Unless you think that TJ Barnes is ready to take his place? Or perhaps Sheldon will play predominantly NT with Coples re-joining the line?

Even if it is for one more year, I think Harrison has too much value to be traded. Unless we get a really good return.

I'm just speaking on the facts of the matter. Assume Harrison is a goner until we hear something about him signing a new contract. We surely are not Franchising him and he surely is available via trade. 

Could another player replace him? My opinion would be to resign him as well as Wilkerson. I don't think you trade young stud Dlineman. But you often see this on rebuilding teams. If your going to lose a guy for nothing why wouldn't you trade him and get young cheap talent in return>? 

I'm just speaking on the facts of the matter. Assume Harrison is a goner until we hear something about him signing a new contract. We surely are not Franchising him and he surely is available via trade. 

Could another player replace him? My opinion would be to resign him as well as Wilkerson. I don't think you trade young stud Dlineman. But you often see this on rebuilding teams. If your going to lose a guy for nothing why wouldn't you trade him and get young cheap talent in return>? 

What do you mean "goner"? He signed the tender.  That means he is under contract for the year. Why would his signing mean he is more likely to be traded?  I think the time for RFAs to negotiate with other teams ended last week. He and Jarrett should both be Jets for 2015.  I would imagine after the draft they will talk about locking he and Mo up.

I agree that we are in the process of rebuilding, but if the free agency period has taught us anything it's that Mac aims to be competitive. I assume that Harrison will be here, at least for the year, unless we find a suitable player to replace him (either signed, drafted, or already on the team), and I find that unlikely. Just my opinion.

What are you even talking about? He played! In the preseason and the regular season. He flat out stunk. He got smacked around pretty good when he took over for Ellis during that 1-2 game stretch. He's got potential, good size, talent, but he is about as raw as they come. No rookie NT just comes in and dominates. Especially not some undrafted kid. The guy needs to learn how to play the position first, how to use his hands, balance, leverage, how to read blocking schemes, all that. Even Snacks had to sit back and learn for a year first before he got some playing time in the preseason. And he only started because Ellis got hurt, and he took off from there. Barnes at this point is not somebody you can count on as a NT. He can come in on passing downs and provide some pass rush but that's about it. He's not stopping the run, he gets slapped aside by any decent veteran guard or center.

What are you even talking about? He played! In the preseason and the regular season. He flat out stunk. He got smacked around pretty good when he took over for Ellis during that 1-2 game stretch. He's got potential, good size, talent, but he is about as raw as they come. No rookie NT just comes in and dominates. Especially not some undrafted kid. The guy needs to learn how to play the position first, how to use his hands, balance, leverage, how to read blocking schemes, all that. Even Snacks had to sit back and learn for a year first before he got some playing time in the preseason. And he only started because Ellis got hurt, and he took off from there. Barnes at this point is not somebody you can count on as a NT. He can come in on passing downs and provide some pass rush but that's about it. He's not stopping the run, he gets slapped aside by any decent veteran guard or center.

Disagree on what happened when Barnes was in there.  I think he played more down the stretch and acquitted himself pretty well. I think it is a huge stretch to think he is ready to start, but I sure don't think he got smacked around.  I also think he is waaaaay more run stopper than pass rusher. FWIW, he was not a rookie.  He was a PS guy in 2013, active roster 2014 and I expect meaningful snaps for 2015. 

I'd be very surprised if Harrison is traded, and I'm with those who aren't entirely sold on Barnes. Not saying he's bad, but I don't know if they're ready to count on him being a primary backup. Maybe they are - I'm just not sure. Coaches see a lot more of him than I do.

Based on the question marks behind Harrison, I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets take a NT earlier than most expect. Not a position that gets talked about because there's a quality starter, but there's not a lot of depth and the starter's only signed for one year.

Round 1 or 2 would be early for my taste (so it's probably possible) but 3 or 4 I'd certainly understand. Of course I'd be fine with waiting for a late round/UDFA type too, but I think it's a sleeper position to keep an eye on this weekend. 

Disagree on what happened when Barnes was in there.  I think he played more down the stretch and acquitted himself pretty well. I think it is a huge stretch to think he is ready to start, but I sure don't think he got smacked around.  I also think he is waaaaay more run stopper than pass rusher. FWIW, he was not a rookie.  He was a PS guy in 2013, active roster 2014 and I expect meaningful snaps for 2015. 

When did he play well? Why do people keep saying that? The guy got pushed around, even pancaked by the Lions (Raiola IIRC). Rex deactivated him after that game. He also said the only reason why he was active in the first place was that he offers more pass rush than Ellis. He can't play the run. I'm not sure if you really watched him play. He can't play the run. And he didn't play well. Correct me if I'm wrong, let me know which game you're referring to. When I saw him play he got shredded. Especially by the Lions. I even posted the GIF's on JI after the game. He was completely overwhelmed. Later that year Rex activated him again and got him some playing time, we couldn't stop the run. Then he went back to being inactive and Ellis was back on the field. One of those typical brainfarts by Rex. Barnes is nowhere near ready to play NT based on what he's done last season. He just isn't ready. I rather have Vickerson at NT backing up Snacks.

When did he play well? Why do people keep saying that? The guy got pushed around, even pancaked by the Lions (Raiola IIRC). Rex deactivated him after that game. He also said the only reason why he was active in the first place was that he offers more pass rush than Ellis. He can't play the run. I'm not sure if you really watched him play. He can't play the run. And he didn't play well. Correct me if I'm wrong, let me know which game you're referring to. When I saw him play he got shredded. Especially by the Lions. I even posted the GIF's on JI after the game. He was completely overwhelmed. Later that year Rex activated him again and got him some playing time, we couldn't stop the run. Then he went back to being inactive and Ellis was back on the field. One of those typical brainfarts by Rex. Barnes is nowhere near ready to play NT based on what he's done last season. He just isn't ready. I rather have Vickerson at NT backing up Snacks.

The Lions game was pretty early in the season.  It was later in the season than that for sure.  He played week 1, week 4 and then 11-12-13-14.  IIRC, he played mostly on short yardage and I remember him having a tackle for a loss.  It stood out because I was surprised he was even playing.  Since the stats only give him credit for one tackle in 2 years, I assume it was the Miami game.  When I saw him he looked adequate.  Good is a stretch. He literally offers nothing in pass rush.  According to the stats, his only tackle was 1 one yard loss on a run by Tannehill.  Not sure what to make of that.  Vickerson might well be the guy to get snaps.  I liked what I saw from Barnes, but I'm certainly not ready to give him a job.

Archived