•••••The Official 2015 NFL DRAFT DISCUSSION THREAD•••••

Ghost

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Non-stop motor, high character, built for 3-4 OLB... this is exactly the type of guy Mac was talking about when he referenced always having those 3-4 OLBs in the developmental pipeline.

Just got finished looking at some videos; guys this dude looks like a BEAST.  He is has great size at 6'4 260 and plays with some serious intensity.  He also played against some top nice competition.  I am getting more and more stoked about this pick. Our defense is going to be a SICK.  

Kiper had him ranked #83 on his Big Board and we got him at #82.

CBS has him as the 5th best OLB in the draft.  

Just because we don't know him doesn't mean the professionals shouldnt.

Apparently we lost the superbowl by trading back 12 spots and not drafting the guy rated higher by mel ******* kiper.

I trust the scout running our draft more than the talking heads.

Just a wee bit of hyperbole that, eh?

Folks are allowed to be disappointing you know.  Trade down, get a guy who has a good story but smells like a reach (or not), if there were guys they really liked lost because of the trade down.  Or becuase yet more D added to a Top 10 D while we have a bottom 5 O, /shrug.

It's all just opinion.  We walk out of this draft without a QB I'll be disappointed.  Doesn't make me right or wrong per se, just opinionated.

Getting mad cause folks are happy/disappointed is silly.

Just a wee bit of hyperbole that, eh?

Folks are allowed to be disappointing you know.  Trade down, get a guy who has a good story but smells like a reach (or not), if there were guys they really liked lost because of the trade down.  Or becuase yet more D added to a Top 10 D while we have a bottom 5 O, /shrug.

It's all just opinion.  We walk out of this draft without a QB I'll be disappointed.  Doesn't make me right or wrong per se, just opinionated.

Getting mad cause folks are happy/disappointed is silly.

I'm not mad, I'm just volleying back to the looney tunes that are mad and lashing out at my laid back awesomeness, homie.

Kiper had him ranked #83 on his Big Board and we got him at #82.

CBS has him as the 5th best OLB in the draft.  

Just because we don't know him doesn't mean the professionals shouldnt.

Clearly we reached for this kid.

Prisco, who we all despise, did happen to say this about Eli Harold: 

Eli Harold | DE, VirginiaHeight: 6-3   Weight: 247I am not a fan. I don´t think he´s tough enough. He will play outside in their 3-4 scheme.

and this about Mauldin:

Lorenzo Mauldin | DE, LouisvilleHeight: 6-4   Weight: 259This is the edge rusher the Jets needed to get. He has a chance to be rotation player as a rookie and maybe more his second season. Nice job.

So...maybe it isn't entirely crazy to think that the Jets preferred Mauldin to Harold all along.

Count me underwhelmed - really with the whole draft, whole thing was anitclimatic.

I'm not a scout or a prob but in my armchair here I would've much preferred Tevin Coleman or Eli Harold, or Duke Johnson. 

5th round picks are usually not worth squat - I think the trade down was a mistake, JMO

I'm not mad, I'm just volleying back to the looney tunes that are mad and lashing out at my laid back awesomeness, homie.

You do have laid back awesomeness, I agree.

Just give me a QB prospect, please.  Please.  Some #3 we can develop (or try to).

Someone not named Fitz or Geno, please.

It seems more than obvious they were either targeting him or had him ranked on par with anyone else we missed or else they wouldn't have traded down, not sure what the complaints are. 

Edit: Mac basically just confirmed the above. He was saying if you have a group of players that are blocked together in their value, that's how you look to trade down. So it's pretty clear they had Mauldin in that group.

How many times did you watch Eli Harold and Lorenzo Mauldin play the last two years?

They obviously targeted Mauldin when they traded back. Just stop already.

No obvious about it, could have been planned or desperation.

And yeah it's real tough to catch Louisville and Virginia games, they are in real remote conferences

It seems more than obvious they were either targeting him or had him ranked on par with anyone else we missed or else they wouldn't have traded down, not sure what the complaints are.

That's what I'm hoping

No way to know for sure if Mac thought Harold or Duke would be there though

Mac is on NYJ.com explaining his tradeback philosophy. Basically a value-tier philosophy which tells him he can move back and get a player of equal value from his tier at 82 that he can at 70, so his preference is to add more picks.

Tantrum fans should check this out.

The OLB sounds like a Rex Ryan pick tbh.  The kind of story and "motor" Rex would wax poetic about and ramble on about after drafting him 3 rounds too early.

That alone doesn;t mean much, but trade down and pick seem reachy to me.  BAP at 70 would have been perhaps better, and Madulin available later.  Guess the 5th is nice to have back I suppose, but looking at aquisitions vs. losses, we're already WAY in the green.

Alot fo players we've signed or had under contract will need to be cut to make our final roster.  Like, ALOT.

There is nothing reachy about this pick. He was projected to go in the 3rd round and just because he wasn't on our radar doesn't mean he wasn't highly scouted by Mac and company.   I don't hear anyone waxing poetic about anything; the facts of his life are what the are.  The fact that he could overcome all of that is something to admire for the less cynical among us.   Having stated that, he looks like he could be every bit as good as Harold, just not as well known.  I for one will trust our new scouting department until they give me a reason not to.  **** Rex; he is no longer here and I wish to God we could all just move on.... 

Archived