•••••The Official 2015 NFL DRAFT DISCUSSION THREAD•••••

Ghost

Mac is on NYJ.com explaining his tradeback philosophy. Basically a value-tier philosophy which tells him he can move back and get a player of equal value from his tier at 82 that he can at 70, so his preference is to add more picks.

Tantrum fans should check this out.

Isn't it nice to have somebody mature in charge?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strong can burn too...but I'm warming up to it.  Low production WR's just never seen to pan out in the NFL.  Makes me a little nervous.  His senior year numbers are eerily similar to Stephen Hill's, just with more TD's, granted a lot.  Those types of guys always make nervous in the NFL.

Is he a return guy too? 

Geez,as it turned out we traded our 3rd round pick for Strong.    Kind of would have rather we took Strong.

Hearing about how bad Maudlin wants it, how hard he works, and how much effort he puts in on the field, I'm remined of Curtis Martin's Hall of Fame speech. Martin was saying that he wasn't always the strongest or the fastest player on the field, but he simply wanted it more. He built his HoF career on sheer deterination and grit. I believe this kid will do the same.

EDIT: I don't mean to say I think Maudlin is HoF bound, just that he will build his career with the same hard work and determination as Martin.

Mac is on NYJ.com explaining his tradeback philosophy. Basically a value-tier philosophy which tells him he can move back and get a player of equal value from his tier at 82 that he can at 70, so his preference is to add more picks.

Tantrum fans should check this out.

They know this - they are having tantrums because the Jets didn't take their pick. This kid barring injury will be a wonderful player. He is a football player.

No obvious about it, could have been planned or desperation.

And yeah it's real tough to catch Louisville and Virginia games, they are in real remote conferences

Which is why I'm completely dumbfounded you would have such a strong opinion on it.

I love reading up on all the available research as much as any layman fan and as much college football I watch I'm in the same boat besides a few Louisville games.... and I can't for the life of me figure out WTF half this board is crying about Eli ******* Harold over Lorenzo Mauldin. 

Anybody remember the Chris Gocong debacle -

We were all over this OLB Gocong back n 2006.  He fell to us in the 3rd, Tanny got cute and traded back in the 3rd for a 7th rounder (terrible value) and Andy Reid scooped him up with that pick and we took.....wait for it....the Boar Hunter.

Losing Harold feels like that, we overthunk it and lost out on a highly rated contributor that we were lucky fell to us originally.

Again JMO.

Bowles = zero concern about 40 speed, he thinks Mauldin plays more like a 4.6 guy, likes his technique and tenacity. 

Sounds like they got sniped on Harold, Duke and the other 81 picks before this one, and were completely unprepared and just threw a dart.

Where's that guy with the billboards?

Which is why I'm completely dumbfounded you would have such a strong opinion on it.

I love reading up on all the available research as much as any layman fan and as much college football I watch I'm in the same boat besides a few Louisville games.... and I can't for the life of me figure out WTF half this board is crying about Eli ******* Harold over Lorenzo Mauldin. 

LOL

Is this guy Brooklyn Jet?

Bowles = zero concern about 40 speed, he thinks Mauldin plays more like a 4.6 guy, likes his technique and tenacity. 

Sounds like they got sniped on Harold, Duke and the other 81 picks before this one, and were completely unprepared and just threw a dart.

You're an idiot. Not uncommon among Jets fans

We were all over this OLB Gocong back n 2006.  He fell to us in the 3rd, Tanny got cute and traded back in the 3rd for a 7th rounder (terrible value) and Andy Reid scooped him up with that pick and we took.....wait for it....the Boar Hunter.

Losing Harold feels like that, we overthunk it and lost out on a highly rated contributor that we were lucky fell to us originally.

Again JMO.

Awesome that you ninja'd me right as I was referencing this in my sardonic post.

Again JMO.

I looked at tape of Harold and Mauldin. They looked about the same

Why are people in love with Strong and Harold, Wasnt impressed by Strong's tape. Didn't show speed to me.

As for Harold, the main difference I could see between him and Mauldin is that Mauldin had a lot more strip sacks which is a key skill.

I went out of my way to watch everything I could find on Strong leading up to the draft and watched a couple live games over the season. And, honestly, the guy had a defensive back hanging off his hip every catch unless by scheme in soft coverage over the middle. He has tremendous body control and really strong hands...ok, did sorta remind me of an NFL poor mans version of Michael Irvin at ASU....but the ******* dude couldn't separate in college. Hows he gonna in the NFL.  He was a fit for a team looking for a red zone/possession #2....Houston is a good fit.

Jets got a blazing fast kid who can take the top off defenses with great hands. 

You're an idiot. Not uncommon among Jets fans

I'm an idiot? That was sarcasm in neon lights... and it went right over your head, despite me being the most vocal pro-Maudlin person here the past 5 pages.

Good job defining idiocy for us all. LOL

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN 5m5 minutes ago

An emotional Lorenzo Mauldin: "This is my chance. I'm going to work hard. I'm going to work harder than hard." #nyj

Now if you hate this pick after reading this, you have no heart and you can go to hell

Some folks are gonna hate regardless; I say **** 'em.  We just drafted a true DOG for our LB corp.  I hope his fire and intensity is contagious and especially rubs off on Coples.  

We were all over this OLB Gocong back n 2006. He fell to us in the 3rd, Tanny got cute and traded back in the 3rd for a 7th rounder (terrible value) and Andy Reid scooped him up with that pick and we took.....wait for it....the Boar Hunter.

Again JMO.

Gocong was awful and out of the league soon after Boar Hunter.

I had to scroll back a few pages to make sure you were being sarcastic.

I watched the same EXACT sh*t last year on this board and didn't say a thing. In "idzik I trust" , people defending his choices left and right until 6 of them didn't even make it through training camp.

There are a few posters on here still sniffing the glue on the new regime who would defend ANY decision they made, personally I would have been happy to keep the pick we had and taken a different player. A lot of talent went by as we dropped, I have seen Harold make plays and felt he was a steal in the third, I could care less if we got maudlin right at the 3 rd round borderline.

We will see next season who plays better and personally I could give a rats ass about mauldins backstory.

Again JMO.

Again JMO.

The way people are reacting to the move-back also reminded me of the Gocong thing, but for a different reason -- it's an example of people going bonkers over a mid-tier talent who, if you go by the odds of what happens to third-round picks, will likely not be an impact player. Fact is, the Jets might have Mauldin rated higher than Harold, in which case the trade makes perfect sense.

I watched the same EXACT sh*t last year on this board and didn't say a thing. In "idzik I trust" , people defending his choices left and right until 6 of them didn't even make it through training camp.

There are a few posters on here still sniffing the glue on the new regime who would defend ANY decision they made, personally I would have been happy to keep the pick we had and taken a different player. A lot of talent went by as we dropped, I have seen Harold make plays and felt he was a steal in the third, I could care less if we got maudlin right at the 3 rd round borderline.

We will see next season who plays better and personally I could give a rats ass about mauldins backstory.

SO you are penalizing a guy based on the predecessor's mistakes. Does that sound fair to you?

Why are people in love with Strong and Harold, Wasnt impressed by Strong's tape. Didn't show speed to me.

As for Harold, the main difference I could see between him and Mauldin is that Mauldin had a lot more strip sacks which is a key skill.

Also one of the knocks on Harold is he wasn't as productive as a guy with his abilities should have been.  Well I don't think the same can be said about Maudlin; they guy seems to going at 100 miles an hour.   We don't need another Coples personality.   With Maudlin and Williams we just drafted to guys that play with FIRE and INTENSITY. 

Again JMO.

Not drafting Chris Gocong qualifies as a debacle?

Just saw some videos of Mauldin literally swallowing Duke Johnson at the line of scrimmage multiple times and sacking Jameis. He seems to get off the edge quickly and follows through with his tackles. Not sure how well he is at dropping back into coverage? Or if he needs his hand in the dirt or not? Seems to play with a major chip on his shoulder. 

I think you have to give them a chance. Seems like you're letting paranoia creep into your decision making.  Understandable as a Jet fan but not fair to the new regime. Especially when none of these picks are reaches even by basic online scouting standards. 

So, what you're saying is you've waited a whole year to grind and axe with people that are generally happy, optimistic, and humble enough to admit they don't know better than the professionals?

Sounds stable.

Also one of the knocks on Harold is he wasn't as productive as a guy with his abilities should have been.  Well I don't think the same can be said about Maudlin; they guy seems to going at 100 miles an hour.   We don't need another Coples personality.   With Maudlin and Williams we just drafted to guys that play with FIRE and INTENSITY. 

Yeah sounds like one's an underachiever with good production and the other is an overachiever with good production. One thing I like on a lot of Mauldin's stuff is that "he plays a lot faster than his paper numbers...plus he has all the intangibles you want." to paraphrase. In the third round, I'll take it.

Yeah sounds like one's an underachiever with good production and the other is an overachiever with good production. One thing I like on a lot of Mauldin's stuff is that "he plays a lot faster than his paper numbers...plus he has all the intangibles you want." to paraphrase. In the third round, I'll take it.

I like that we're arguing about Harrold and Maudelin.

Yeah, I prefer to have a player that vastly OVER-performs to his abilities than UNDER-performs.

Archived