Sign in to follow this  
Ghost

•••••The Official 2015 NFL DRAFT DISCUSSION THREAD•••••

Chicago ?

If only US of A had a marquee city that was the center of the civilized universe.

Screw that! Let's go to Chicago.

@nfl: Jets used 7 straight 1st round picks on defense:

('15 Williams, '14 Pryor, '13 Milliner, Richardson, '12 Coples, '11 Wilkerson, '10 Wilson)

In their defense Wilson never played defense for us.

• Upvote 4

I actually think keeping Mo would be a no brainer. But the JETS might get a mid 2nd/3rd round pick for Harrison.

Lets remember that we have drafted a WR already.  His name is Brandon Marshall

Lets also remember that last season he was injury prone.

JETS need to draft a WR tomorrow.

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN 5m5 minutes ago

An emotional Lorenzo Mauldin: "This is my chance. I'm going to work hard. I'm going to work harder than hard." #nyj

Now if you hate this pick after reading this, you have no heart and you can go to hell

That quote belongs on a tear-jerking segment on the the NBC Olympic coverage,

It is nothing but talking the talk. I am more interested if the player can walk the walk.

I am neither against OR for this pick. I hope now that he is in Green and White  he is a perennial Pro Bowler. We will see how this kid pans out. But I won't be surprised if he is not a starter for majority of his rookie season. The key will be how he shows up for his sophomore season. Anything he does for us in his rookie season is a bonus.

I don't think he was "talking the talk."  It was genuine.  I don't doubt that he'll play above his draft grade.  How quickly he adjusts to the NFL will be anyone's guess, but it's real hard not to like the pick in the context of his background.  It's shaped him into what he is and there's value to that.  

I like that he is dialed in and ready to work hard. All i am saying is I want to see him perform by Season 2 as a legit starter. Rest is all fluff.

It's also okay if a player just turns out to be a very productive role player that does his job. This team has been devoid of those guys as much as perennial pro-bowlers.

We have had those guys.

But in this case I hope the ceiling is  a very solid starter by Season 2 and not just a role player. The 6th and 7th round would be a great place to find those Nick Bellore type productive role players.

Agreed, one has to hope that this OLB pipeline plan that Mac talked about is more than just GM speak.

He did sound very genuine with that comment. I hope that's the case.

Questionable football character. 

If the JETS were drafting guys with questions about character then why not Randy Gregory ?

So when we did not pick Jaelen Strong it was like how many WR's can we carry.

But when the pick the umpteenth Guard it's like we cannot have too much depth.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

We never draft guys with character issues and it's given us 0 Super Bowl appearances in 40+ years.

Think Jerry Jones is the smartest guy out there. He took Dex Bryant and now Gregory. He certainly leared his lessons from passing on Randy Moss. From what i heard they employed a psychiatrist for Dez Bryant when he came on the team and now i am sure that same guy talks to Gregory a lot.

But they got some elite talent on the field.

Marshall

Decker

Kerley

Smith

Posey

Evans

Enunwa

Where are we putting another WR?

There are only 3 NFL starting caliber WR's on the roster. Marshall, Decker, Kerey. Out of that Marshall was Injury prone last season. People act like we got the 27 year old Brandon Marshall. That's not the case. I am crossingm y fingers and hoping we get 8-10 completely healthy games out of him.

Delvin Smith will be in his rookie years and will get some snaps.

The rest of them like Posey, Enunwa, Evans and guys you did not list like TJ Graham and Owusu have as yet to prove they belong on the field as NFL caliber WR's. I am high on Enunwa and have been the past year when there was no Enunwa bandwagon AND i do belive that Evans can sort his concentration issues out BUT they have to prove themselves in training camp, then pre-season and then convert all that into regular season performances before we can bank on them as legit NFL WR's.

Now someone break down the number of guards we have on this team.

are you really going to nitpick the positions picked in rds 5-7?   this pretty much had to be BPA and they stuck to their board.  

I would effing nitpick a UDFA. To me every pick is important.  Just refer to T.O and Brady if you want to find out how lower round picks can help a franchise.

Yep. Dozier and Aboushi are listed as OL, not specifically guards.

That listing thing changes it all. Doesn't matter where they play on the field. Having said that there was some noise of moving Dozier to backup Center or was that Winters. So yeah there is that. Shoot so many Guards it's hard to keep up.

But haven't heard anything like that about Aboushi.

Jarvis Harrison - a high upside flyer in the 5th round

It's the LAZY part that worries me a lot.

• Upvote 1

If I recall, Aboushi was being groomed at tackle

First time I am hearing that. Generally that would be a$$ backwards way to go.

I'm interested to see how Strong winds up. People were upset when the Jets took Smith over him in the second, and then he lasted all the way to the Jets' pick in the third; three WRs later. Maybe he wasn't such a great value there. He certainly wasn't to Maccagnan. And if need is your concern, OLB was arguably the team's biggest need after QB entering the draft, and that's the position they went with in the third. The trade down helped secure Petty and landed the guard - a position a lot of folks here were hoping for at #6 overall! 

There were some wrist surgery concerns certain teams might have had. Houston's doctor's cleared him. That's why Houston traded up.You cannot argue the great value Strong was with a Top 3rd round pick.

I am not sure if Maccag's liked him or not AND again we do not know how good the current FO is in scouting WR's BUT the decision to trade down most likely hung on the acquiring extra picks. And i will leave the fact that we did not get fair value in picks for another day.

One thing people need to understand is that the 3rd round OLB will not start in his rookie season. It was a need but he is not going to be starter unless there is a really diluting of depth due to injuries or something like that. Infact anything he gives us in his rookie year will be a bonus.

Bottomline we acquired 3rd and 4th round picks that may hardly contribute in their rookie season. People need to accept that fact.

Last year the Jets had a third and three fourth rounders, each of whom contributed nothing at all.

Yeah, but i am on record criticizing those 3rd and 4th round moves. I expected the JETS to pick Martvais Bryant with the 3rd pick. I like the talent they found in McDougle (forget the spelling) because i had not heard of him when he was picked. But we could have got him in the 4th round as well.

And again botching it up one year does not make it alright to botch it up again. I still am not against the  QB move. If he can hold the clipboard for two seasons and then contribute that would be great. But you have understand at this moment he is rookie Geno Smith Lite. Just a one read and throw guy.

Feel pretty good about this Mauldin kid, though. Bet the Jets get more out of him than the four aforementioned players above.

Maybe you got better intel. I think he will be solid contributor but not the beast you hope we get in Top 3 rounds.  Meanwhile we have bigger needs that still need to be filled at RB.

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company