• Created
  • Last Reply

Jets Guard Situation:

Carpenter - starter at LG for the forseeable future

Colon - our fallback starter if no one rises, could actually be cut

Aboushi - hold the fort, a decent career backup probably

Dozier - a developmental guy, we'll see

Jarvis Harrison - a high upside flyer in the 5th round

Winters - a 3rd round bust at Guard, being moved to backup center because how awful he was, wouldn't be surprised if he gets cut

I love the Harrison pick - our Guard situation is very shaky.

Yep. Dozier and Aboushi are listed as OL, not specifically guards.

That listing thing changes it all. Doesn't matter where they play on the field. Having said that there was some noise of moving Dozier to backup Center or was that Winters. So yeah there is that. Shoot so many Guards it's hard to keep up.

But haven't heard anything like that about Aboushi.

That listing thing changes it all. Doesn't matter where they play on the field. Having said that there was some noise of moving Dozier to backup Center or was that Winters. So yeah there is that. Shoot so many Guards it's hard to keep up.

But haven't heard anything like that about Aboushi.

If I recall, Aboushi was being groomed at tackle

James Carpenter

Willie Colon

Brian Winters.

You can see where the need is.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Carpenter. But, I've never seen him play. The only two guys on the line that I implicitly trust are Brick and Mangold. And they are getting old.

Stop it. It didn't cost anything. And it helped secure Petty.

Jesus some of you guys would complain about free tickets to the Super Bowl.

So how am I supposed to get to the Super Bowl? Where am I going to stay? You mean I have to take time off from work?  This Sucks!!! 

There are only 3 NFL starting caliber WR's on the roster. Marshall, Decker, Kerey. Out of that Marshall was Injury prone last season. People act like we got the 27 year old Brandon Marshall. That's not the case. I am crossingm y fingers and hoping we get 8-10 completely healthy games out of him.

Delvin Smith will be in his rookie years and will get some snaps.

The rest of them like Posey, Enunwa, Evans and guys you did not list like TJ Graham and Owusu have as yet to prove they belong on the field as NFL caliber WR's. I am high on Enunwa and have been the past year when there was no Enunwa bandwagon AND i do belive that Evans can sort his concentration issues out BUT they have to prove themselves in training camp, then pre-season and then convert all that into regular season performances before we can bank on them as legit NFL WR's.

Now someone break down the number of guards we have on this team.

I'm interested to see how Strong winds up. People were upset when the Jets took Smith over him in the second, and then he lasted all the way to the Jets' pick in the third; three WRs later. Maybe he wasn't such a great value there. He certainly wasn't to Maccagnan. And if need is your concern, OLB was arguably the team's biggest need after QB entering the draft, and that's the position they went with in the third. The trade down helped secure Petty and landed the guard - a position a lot of folks here were hoping for at #6 overall! 

So how am I supposed to get to the Super Bowl? Where am I going to stay? You mean I have to take time off from work?  This Sucks!!! 

It's even worse when you realize you have to be around other people.

With possibly the exception of Mauldin (appropriately valued but not a "steal"), it seems like all of our selections have been solid value picks. Maybe they don't all work out but at least it wasn't because we reached for weaker talent like Idzik did last year.

With possibly the exception of Mauldin (appropriately valued but not a "steal"), it seems like all of our selections have been solid value picks. Maybe they don't all work out but at least it wasn't because we reached for weaker talent like Idzik did last year.

Exactly. I have to admit, I was okay with Idzik at the time, but Mac is sooooo much better at this.

I'm interested to see how Strong winds up. People were upset when the Jets took Smith over him in the second, and then he lasted all the way to the Jets' pick in the third; three WRs later. Maybe he wasn't such a great value there. He certainly wasn't to Maccagnan. And if need is your concern, OLB was arguably the team's biggest need after QB entering the draft, and that's the position they went with in the third. The trade down helped secure Petty and landed the guard - a position a lot of folks here were hoping for at #6 overall! 

There were some wrist surgery concerns certain teams might have had. Houston's doctor's cleared him. That's why Houston traded up.You cannot argue the great value Strong was with a Top 3rd round pick.

I am not sure if Maccag's liked him or not AND again we do not know how good the current FO is in scouting WR's BUT the decision to trade down most likely hung on the acquiring extra picks. And i will leave the fact that we did not get fair value in picks for another day.

One thing people need to understand is that the 3rd round OLB will not start in his rookie season. It was a need but he is not going to be starter unless there is a really diluting of depth due to injuries or something like that. Infact anything he gives us in his rookie year will be a bonus.

Bottomline we acquired 3rd and 4th round picks that may hardly contribute in their rookie season. People need to accept that fact.

There were some wrist surgery concerns certain teams might have had. Houston's doctor's cleared him. That's why Houston traded up.You cannot argue the great value Strong was with a Top 3rd round pick.

I am not sure if Maccag's liked him or not AND again we do not know how good the current FO is in scouting WR's BUT the decision to trade down most likely hung on the acquiring extra picks. And i will leave the fact that we did not get fair value in picks for another day.

One thing people need to understand is that the 3rd round OLB will not start in his rookie season. It was a need but he is not going to be starter unless there is a really diluting of depth due to injuries or something like that. Infact anything he gives us in his rookie year will be a bonus.

Bottomline we acquired 3rd and 4th round picks that may hardly contribute in their rookie season. People need to accept that fact.

Lol. Last year the Jets had a third and three fourth rounders, each of whom contributed nothing at all. 

A fourth round QB may not contribute as a rookie? Shocking! 

Feel pretty good about this Mauldin kid, though. Bet the Jets get more out of him than the four aforementioned players above. 

Last year the Jets had a third and three fourth rounders, each of whom contributed nothing at all.

Yeah, but i am on record criticizing those 3rd and 4th round moves. I expected the JETS to pick Martvais Bryant with the 3rd pick. I like the talent they found in McDougle (forget the spelling) because i had not heard of him when he was picked. But we could have got him in the 4th round as well.

And again botching it up one year does not make it alright to botch it up again. I still am not against the  QB move. If he can hold the clipboard for two seasons and then contribute that would be great. But you have understand at this moment he is rookie Geno Smith Lite. Just a one read and throw guy.

Feel pretty good about this Mauldin kid, though. Bet the Jets get more out of him than the four aforementioned players above.

Maybe you got better intel. I think he will be solid contributor but not the beast you hope we get in Top 3 rounds.  Meanwhile we have bigger needs that still need to be filled at RB.

Archived