welcome to the JETS, Leonard Williams!!

Blackout

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shoutout from Mo via twitter. Leonard responds.

Hopefully this whole trading situation is over with now. Mo, Snacks, Richardson, Leo. Revis, Cro in the backfield. This defense has crazy potential. And to me it sounds like Bowles is counting on Coples to be the edge rusher, playing LB this year. You throw in a rookie pass rusher in the 2nd or 3rd round and we're ready to rock.

We trade Wilk and select another position later. Which if it happens means we drafted laterally with the 6th overall pick and got a different position at lesser value.

Or we keep Wilkerson, one of 2 (now 3, probably) elite players on our roster for 2015, continuing to let him know his extension is important to us so that he does not hold out.  If he asks for JJ Watt money next offseason, we franchise tag him and deal him in a package for a QB. 

You're being a bit short-sighted with the positive implications that come from lucking into an elite player falling to us.  Naturally if we were to trade Wilkerson tomorrow for a mix of 2015 and 2016 picks it would be disappointing, but what possibly makes you think that will happen?  There is nothing but good things that come from a D-line containing 3 tremendous players. 

Or we keep Wilkerson, one of 2 (now 3, probably) elite players on our roster for 2015, continuing to let him know his extension is important to us so that he does not hold out.  If he asks for JJ Watt money next offseason, we franchise tag him and deal him in a package for a QB. 

You're being a bit short-sighted with the positive implications that come from lucking into an elite player falling to us.  Naturally if we were to trade Wilkerson tomorrow for a mix of 2015 and 2016 picks it would be disappointing, but what possibly makes you think that will happen?

I'm a Jets fan. The ability to perceive positive implications died a long time ago,

I'm a Jets fan. The ability to perceive positive implications died a long time ago,

The old Jets take Kevin White there, and we talk about that failure for years and years.  There's zero question in my mind that an elite Defensive Lineman exceeds an elite WR every single time.  And we're far more sure that Williams will end up what we think he is than White will. 

Right now the only ones that should be truly pissed off after all of this are Redskins fans.  The draft is all about adding great players and worrying about the rest later, because you never know how things will sort themselves out.  We did it right this time. 

The old Jets take Kevin White there, and we talk about that failure for years and years. There's zero question in my mind that an elite Defensive Lineman exceeds an elite WR every single time. And we're far more sure that Williams will end up what we think he is than White will.

Right now the only ones that should be truly pissed off after all of this are Redskins fans.

The same fans that are complaining about taking Williams will be the same ones complaining if we took White.

I don't listen to them.

The same fans that are complaining about taking Williams will be the same ones complaining if we took White.

I don't listen to them.

White was also in a no-win position:  Play with Jay Cutler or play with Ryan Fitz

Williams will be surrounded by talent on defense and be allowed to grow with less pressure than White on offense

White was also in a no-win position: Play with Jay Cutler or play with Ryan Fitz

Williams will be surrounded by talent on defense and be allowed to grow with less pressure than White on offense

Williams, Harrison, Richardson, Wilk. It's going to be a challenge to double any of these guys. Williams definitely has less pressure on him.

Kid is 20 years old!

I really like that interview with Williams that was posted a few posts ago.  Granted you can't tell a lot about a person in a minute video clip, but it does appear as though he's got a pretty good head on his shoulders.  Can't wait to see what he and the rest of this defense can get done this season.

We may owe the Jags a FEW thank you's!!

#1 for giving us a call to let us know Cle. was moving up ahead of them to get Petty in the 4th and allowed us to match the offer!

#2 and perhaps more importantly.... this!

The Most Worrisome Comp That I Might Be the Only One Worried About

Dante Fowler and the Jaguars, a combination that gives off some weird Dion Jordan vibes to me. Their college production was remarkably similar, as they each had 14.5 career sacks across three seasons. Their scouting reports are remarkably similar, with both Jordan’s and Fowler’s highlighting their versatility and athleticism while expressing concerns about their ability to hold up against direct runs. They were great athletes and raw talents who needed to be molded into better football players.

The problem with Jordan, even beyond his suspensions, is that the Dolphins never found a consistent role for him on defense. He isn’t a good enough pass-rusher to play ahead of Olivier Vernon and Cameron Wake on the outside, but he isn’t polished enough to be a reliable coverage defender as a stand-up linebacker. Whether it is his inability to stay on the field, the coaching staff’s issues with developing his skills any further after he entered the league, or a problem with finding the right role for a guy who isn’t great at anything, Jordan has been a massive disappointment in Miami.

I’d be worried about the same happening with Fowler. There are more reasons to like him than Jordan — he has a wider range of pass-rush moves (even if they’re not refined), he’s better against the run, he seems to have more of a motor — but I’m still not sure how the Jaguars plan on using him. Fowler has suggested publicly that he’s going to fill the Leo pass-rushing role for Gus Bradley’s defense, but that doesn’t really seem to fit. Fowler is a great athlete, but as SB Nation’s Stephen White noted in his film review, Fowler didn’t really rush around the edge all that frequently at Florida. Using him as the Leo would also basically limit Fowler to pass-rushing, which would seem to go against the versatility that became his calling card at school.

It seems more plausible in the long run that Fowler will end up playing the Otto spot, which is closer to the role Bruce Irvin plays for the Seahawks. Seattle drafted Irvin hoping he could be its Aldon Smith, but Irvin has ended up as a disappointing mix of a decent pass-rusher and a competent outside linebacker, leading the Seahawks to pass on picking up his fifth-year option this offseason.

As the Otto, Fowler would serve as essentially a strongside linebacker near the line of scrimmage before transitioning into an edge rusher in clear passing situations. The Jaguars signed Dekoda Watson last offseason to play that role, giving him $1.5 million guaranteed in a three-year deal, and then released him after nine games and just one start. Jacksonville added Dan Skuta from San Francisco and expected to play him as its Otto this year, but in the long term, Fowler’s skill set fits best in that multifaceted role. If the Jags turn Fowler into a dominant pass-rusher, he’ll stay as a supersize Leo, because that’s where he’ll matter most. If he struggles to find a fit like Irvin or Jordan, though, the Jags may very well look back and wish they’d gone for the safer pick in Leonard Williams.

The Most Terrifying Talent Stack

Leonard Williams and the Jets, who found the draft’s most highly regarded player on the board at no. 6 and took him without worrying about how he would play in their defense. This is different from the situation I just mentioned with Fowler and the Jaguars. There’s an obvious fit for Williams in New York; he’ll be a 5-technique defensive end, which was always going to be his ideal landing spot. The problem is that the Jets are loaded at defensive end, where they already line up a pair of Pro Bowl–caliber ends in Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson. Defensive end was already the most impressive position on Gang Green’s roster; now, they’ve added the sixth overall pick to the mix.

I can understand hearing complaints about this from Jets fans who wanted the team to add an edge rusher or even another wideout, especially with Kevin White still on the board. But there are dumber things than building your team through a dominant defensive line. The cross-stadium Giants built their championship-winning teams from 2007 and 2011 on deep, athletic defensive linemen, beating the Patriots in a pair of Super Bowls by whipping their offensive linemen one-on-one. Todd Bowles blitzed as much as anybody during his time in Arizona, but if he can get pressure by rushing four, he would be foolish not to take it. When the Jets go into sub packages, Bowles will be able to mix and match his linemen to his heart’s content while keeping them fresh with steady rotations.

The other concern is over Wilkerson’s future. The Jets haven’t come to terms with the New Jersey native on a long-term contract, and there has naturally been post-draft speculation that the Jets selected Williams with the idea that he’ll replace Wilkerson in the starting lineup after Wilkerson eventually leaves town. I find that one hard to believe. Wilkerson is entering the final year of his rookie contract, during which he’ll make just under $7 million. The Jets can franchise him next year while paying him somewhere around $12 million, which wouldn’t be an unfair sum. Wilkerson can get more than that on the free market, but with that leverage, the Jets should be able to entice him to sign a lengthy extension. My suspicion is that Wilkerson will stay and Bowles will get the most out of his new charges.

The Most Terrifying Talent Stack

Leonard Williams and the Jets, who found the draft’s most highly regarded player on the board at no. 6 and took him without worrying about how he would play in their defense. This is different from the situation I just mentioned with Fowler and the Jaguars. There’s an obvious fit for Williams in New York; he’ll be a 5-technique defensive end, which was always going to be his ideal landing spot. The problem is that the Jets are loaded at defensive end, where they already line up a pair of Pro Bowl–caliber ends in Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson. Defensive end was already the most impressive position on Gang Green’s roster; now, they’ve added the sixth overall pick to the mix.

I can understand hearing complaints about this from Jets fans who wanted the team to add an edge rusher or even another wideout, especially with Kevin White still on the board. But there are dumber things than building your team through a dominant defensive line. The cross-stadium Giants built their championship-winning teams from 2007 and 2011 on deep, athletic defensive linemen, beating the Patriots in a pair of Super Bowls by whipping their offensive linemen one-on-one. Todd Bowles blitzed as much as anybody during his time in Arizona, but if he can get pressure by rushing four, he would be foolish not to take it. When the Jets go into sub packages, Bowles will be able to mix and match his linemen to his heart’s content while keeping them fresh with steady rotations.

The other concern is over Wilkerson’s future. The Jets haven’t come to terms with the New Jersey native on a long-term contract, and there has naturally been post-draft speculation that the Jets selected Williams with the idea that he’ll replace Wilkerson in the starting lineup after Wilkerson eventually leaves town. I find that one hard to believe. Wilkerson is entering the final year of his rookie contract, during which he’ll make just under $7 million. The Jets can franchise him next year while paying him somewhere around $12 million, which wouldn’t be an unfair sum. Wilkerson can get more than that on the free market, but with that leverage, the Jets should be able to entice him to sign a lengthy extension. My suspicion is that Wilkerson will stay and Bowles will get the most out of his new charges.

nice

Archived