Don't get this Leonard Williams pick at all

Sully28

I appreciate this kid was well considered, "best" non-QB pick in the draft so some say.  It's not a bad pick in any form on that metric.

What I don't understand, and have never supported, is picking BAP without consideration of need.

Put simply, DL was not in any form a need.  Rex makes this pick, the entire Board (IMO) is against it.

It's very hard to see how the addition of this player will make any difference in our record the next 2-4 years tbqh.

The franchise is decades of deferred and desperate need on offense.  QB (the most vital position) is a weakness.  Our problem continues to be scoring, not defense.

And WR was available that was appropriate for the selection.

Yet we went D, and DL at that.

I'm glad everyone seems happy.  I'm not angry.

I simply wouldn't have made this pick, I'd have picked a WR.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I appreciate this kid was well considered, "best" non-QB pick in the draft so some say.  It's not a bad pick in any form on that metric.

What I don't understand, and have never supported, is picking BAP without consideration of need.

Put simply, DL was not in any form a need.  Rex makes this pick, the entire Board (IMO) is against it.

It's very hard to see how the addition of this player will make any difference in our record the next 2-4 years tbqh.

The franchise is decades of deferred and desperate need on offense.  QB (the most vital position) is a weakness.  Our problem continues to be scoring, not defense.

Jets' got, arguably, the best player in the draft, with the 6th pick, and your unhappy?

OK

I appreciate this kid was well considered, "best" non-QB pick in the draft so some say. It's not a bad pick in any form on that metric.

Put simply, DL was not in any form a need. Rex makes this pick, the entire Board (IMO) is against it.

The franchise is decades of deferred and desperate need on offense. QB (the most vital position) is a weakness. Our problem continues to be scoring, not defense.

I'm glad everyone seems happy. I'm not angry.

I simply wouldn't have made this pick, I'd have a WR.

If you viewed the WR as being in the same class you would take him over Williams. Jets think the gap is significant and it's not like they haven't added any O weapons in FA, and have rest of draft.

Can get a WR In Rd 2 that's marginally worse than White.

All those fans bitching about not taking offense need to remember we have a high 2nd rounder and its becoming likely we will get a real good offensive player there. Look i would have loved white but you cant pass on the best player in the draft just because it isnt a need. To be fair our wide reciever core is pretty good already

Jets' got, arguably, the best player in the draft, with the 6th pick, and your unhappy?

OK

Nope, not angry in any form.  Just intellectually and analytically in disagreement.  I presume that's still permitted, correct?

The Jets Offense has been (and is) one of the very worst in the NFL for most of a decade.

Our D, even in bad times, was Top 10 in most things other than turnovers.

The position he plays was already filled on our roster by a 1st round Pro-Bowler.

I fully appreciate and agree that a number of experts viewed him as the "BAP" non-QB.

I do not agree with BAP drafting and never have.  Ignoring needs and existing assets is how you end up with 3 1st rounders on your D-line and a 4 win season due to a perennially 31st ranked Offense IMO.

Yes, I would have drafted the WR, because our O needs vastly help far more than our D, and a WR could (stress could) be a difference maker, another D-lineman (IMO) will not be.  

Once again, I'm confident that if Rex Ryan had made this pick, it would be universally being panned by Jets Fans right now.  It's only popular because of the new regime and the (understandable) leeway we give them.

I fear (as a fan) yet more 13-3 type losses in our future.  A WR could have IMO effected that.  I simply don't see a DL doing so, even if he was BAP.

now they can let Mo Wilkerson walk without a dropoff in performance at the position, and use $12-14 million per year on a free agent star at another position.  I think you are missing that angle of it.  We just replaced 1 star with 2.

Nope, not angry in any form.  Just intellectually and analytically in disagreement.  I presume that's still permitted, correct?

The Jets Offense has been (and is) one of the very worst in the NFL for most of a decade.

The position he plays was already filled on our roster by a 1st round Pro-Bowler.

I fully appreciate and agree that a number of experts viewed him as the "BAP" non-QB.

I do not agree with BAP drafting and never have.  Ignoring needs and existing assets is how you end up with 3 1st rounders on your D-line and a 4 win season due to a perennially 31st ranked Offense IMO.

Yes, I would have drafted the WR, because our O needs vastly help far more than our D, and a WR could (stress could) be a difference maker, another D-lineman (IMO) will not be.  

Once again, I'm confident that if Rex Ryan had made this pick, it would be universally being panned by Jets Fans right now.  It's only popular because of the new regime and the (understandable) leeway we give them.

I fear (as a fan) yet more 13-3 type losses in our future.  A WR could have IMO effected that.  I simply don't see a DL doing so, even if he was BAP.

ZZZZZZZZZ

Put simply, DL was not in any form a need. Rex makes this pick, the entire Board (IMO) is against it.

Very true... This board would have exploded if this was a Rex pick.

Anyway you slice it, there wasn't anyone available at number six that was even in the same ball park as Williams. Also, there was no one that was expecting him to slip that far. He was the best talent in the draft and the fact that he slipped to number 6 is a godsend. The best teams in the league don't play patty cake trying to fill needs while hoping for the best; they build on their strengths, punch you in the mouth, and dare you to take a swing back. 

Not much to understand, he was the best player on the board.

Not just on the board, but in the entire draft. Time will tell of course, but right now, he was hands down the best defender if not the best player.

now they can let Mo Wilkerson walk without a dropoff in performance at the position, and use $12-14 million per year on a free agent star at another position.  I think you are missing that angle of it.  We just replaced 1 star with 2.

But we could have re-signed mo and drafted another star at 6? I don't get your math here

the point is, there was no player on the board near the caliber of Williams.

well if you're sure that there were no other star players available at 6, I still don't see how signing an unknown free agent gives us 2 for 1

But we could have re-signed mo and drafted another star at 6? I don't get your math here

he was the best player in the draft. I like white but he wasnt as sure of a thing amari cooper was. There is a thing called a 2nd round in which many offensive weapons will be available

well if you're sure that there were no other star players available at 6, I still don't see how signing an unknown free agent gives us 2 for 1

Unknown??? Are you drunk?

Now we have another $10-12 million per year to bring in a star in free agency.

he was the best player in the draft. I like white but he wasnt as sure of a thing amari cooper was. There is a thing called a 2nd round in which many offensive weapons will be available

I guess if you have him rated that much higher it makes sense. that's assuming williams will be better than mo and we're going to get a good deal on a free agent-- I still think an edge rusher would have completed the defense

Yes I have, lets keep pushing offense to later rounds, that's worked out awesome for us!

We might want some elite talent on offense at some point.

we took the BPA and probably the best in the whole draft. You dont just draft offense because you are sick of them getting defense. Dont worry in round 2 we will get a good offensive player. But at the same time if they draft another defensive player and you kill yourself thats also a win lol

Using your logic we should have taken Gurley.  The problem is not really our receivers but out QB's.  If our QB cannot get white the ball consistently you have wasted an asset.  Gurley would be able to be a potential home run on any play.  But do you take him at 6?  I do think that the phones exploded when Williams fell in our lap.  I am sure the talked to the giants and to the bears.  If they could trade one spot, take white and get a 3rd I bet they would have done it.  I am sure Macc worked the phones but did not get what he thought was fair value for the best player in the draft.  The Jets did not turn in the pick until the last second.  So I am happy with the best player in the draft and happy we did not get hosed.  I think he has the capability of being a combo of hanoli ngata and warren sapp, If he is and clogs the middle and penetrates the backfield for 10 - 12 years I will be ecstatic.     The 2 deepest positions in the draft are WR and RB.  If we end up with a strong and yeldin and bryce petty I will be pretty happy.

It's a completely rationale & logical HEIST, let alone pick, of PURE talent and Regarded by Media as a BlueChip prospect. He always has been since HS.

It's just a bit frustrating, as another poster stated intellectually & analytically, but an example of a GIFT IN YOUR LAP.

This is a pick that grinds your brain, either positively or negatively. I feel we're going to see some CRAZY FORMATIONS, FRONTS, AND COVERAGES with Blitz options GALORE.

We shall see .........

There certainly was no need on the DL. But they probably weren't filling a need with a guy who fit at #6. I questioned the Richardson pick at first, and look how that worked out. Let's give them a bit to see how they split time on the DL. Should be interesting.

Well, I guess your not going to agree with Macc on a lot of things in this draft.  He has made it clear the Jets are going BAP.  This wasn't even close.

White might turn out to be a very good WR.  Or he might be a bust.   Williams' is most likely the most bust proof player in this draft, barring injury.

I understand your argument about the offense, but  c'mon, the value wasn't even close.

Just dumb. What is Williams' ceiling? Let's be kind and say slightly better than Wilkerson. Now a lot of people say trade Wilkerson for a 1st. Okay, let's say that can be done, we trade in and get who? Someone who was available at 6, and options are more limited than what they would be if we picked at 6 since players are coming off the board. 

Different Scenario you keep Williams and Wilkerson. You run a 4-3 now? What do you do with Harrison? How much better is this line than our 3-4 line? Still yet to be seen if that would work out with Coples, Wilkerson, Richardson, and Williams, who are all basically (3-4 ends and 4-3 tackles). Plus two years down the road let's say you re-sign Wilkerson. You then have to pay Richardson, and then you have to Williams. Everyone's cool with spending a third of our cap on the DLine when our offense is trash?

Only way this trade makes sense, is if you swing Wilkerson and some pick for Rivers. If that happens, I'll shut up and celebrate. But, I'll believe that when I see it.

You obviously can't blindly pick by need in the draft, but this notion that you have to take the best player available no matter what isn't right either, as proven by this pick.

You are definitely way overthinking it.

such a gratuitous dumb pick. Wilk was the #3 DE in the NFL... so we're hoping Williams becomes the 1st? Yaaa, let's draft guys like Wilkerson to be probowlers, then when they do, we'll let them walk.

I was hoping Williams wouldn't be available to avoid this conundrum.

I think a decade from now this kid may be Canton bound - not hyperbole, JMO.

However, in the short term I am very frustrated by this.  He'll only be marginally better than Mo Wilk so it doesn't really improve us and the whole point of drafting Mo and developing him for 3-4 years was to keep him as a foundational player rather than "saving" the $10 mil a year in letting him walk for nothing at the age of 26 (entering his prime).

It was great and bad luck.  I think we all understand this.  Ideally you'd want the BPA to match a big need and DL has been the ONLY non-need on this team.

we took the BPA and probably the best in the whole draft. You dont just draft offense because you are sick of them getting defense. Dont worry in round 2 we will get a good offensive player. But at the same time if they draft another defensive player and you kill yourself thats also a win lol

when you have a stud on offense available you take him, especially when the only BPA above him is already a strength in your team. This is not rocket science at all. Dont worry I wont kill myself, I have been watching this movie for over 30 years and still kicking, but thanks for the "lol"

Archived