News flash Leonard Williams is not a nose tackle.

At his post draft news conference Bowles said he will still employ primarily a 3-4 defense. The guy in the middle needs to be a big run stuffing space eater like Damon Harison. So help me out here the Jets will run a 3-4 defense most of the time which will require Damon Harrison in the middle. So how exactly does Mohamed Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, and Leonard Williams all play on a defense that is primarily a 3-4? WTF is going on?

At his post draft news conference Bowles said he will still employ primarily a 3-4 defense. The guy in the middle needs to be a big run stuffing space eater like Damon Harison. So help me out here the Jets will run a 3-4 defense most of the time which will require Damon Harrison in the middle. So how exactly does Mohamed Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, and Leonard Williams all play on a defense that is primarily a 3-4? WTF is going on?

In the draft thread, my good buddy HessStation posted an article that explains how you, not a generalize "you" meaning "people like you" or "people with the same opinion as you", but you specifically are wrong.

• Upvote 3

Well if that's true then they'll have one hell of a DLine rotation with Wilk and Sheldon at the ends and Williams and Douzable rotating in.

I have a feeling they'll run 4 linemen on a lot of passing downs though.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Well if that's true then they'll have one hell of a DLine rotation with Wilk and Sheldon at the ends and Williams and Douzable rotating in.

I have a feeling they'll run 4 linemen on a lot of passing downs though.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Five.  Unless you really want to call Coples a linebacker.

In this NFL world,  you look for opportunities to create match-up favorites and you rotate people. 

Even if Richardson, Wilkerson and Williams are all not on the field at the same time, when they are in, they are fresher, more explosive and they can be rotated to create mis-matches. The jets are going to be hard to run against to start, and then other schemes will be evolved because of that fact.

Having great players is not  a problem

• Upvote 1

argggggggghhhh 

It's a hybrid 34....not a traditional dick labeau 34. The downlineman are expected to shoot gaps not occupy them. We're good. Trust. He was a great pick. If nothing else gives them flexibility and leverage with Mo. 

Harrison is still on the team for goalline short yardage situations fwiw. My guess is he'll lose out on more snaps in this defense...even before the Williams pick.....based on schemes Bowles used in Arz

In this NFL world,  you look for opportunities to create match-up favorites and you rotate people. 

Even if Richardson, Wilkerson and Williams are all not on the field at the same time, when they are in, they are fresher, more explosive and they can be rotated to create mis-matches. The jets are going to be hard to run against to start, and then other schemes will be evolved because of that fact.

Having great players is not  a problem

yup, look at the great Giant years, when fans would say to Tuna, we got another LB??

" Lawrence Taylor, fellow linebackers Carl BanksGary ReasonsBrad Van PeltBrian KelleyPepper Johnson, and Hall of Famer Harry Carson gave the Giants linebacking corps a reputation as one of the best in the NFL."

• Upvote 1

are you really questioning the football fit? i can see questioning not going another position but a forum poster questioning a football fit when there is a team of football lifers making the decisions is pretty stupid. i remember all the nonsense with richardson not being the "3 technique"...how did that work out?

• Upvote 1

We can switch up defenses depending on the team we play. I do believe that Wilkerson will be available for trade for the right price though. 

We'll have to see tonight what the jets do. If Wilkerson isnt traded tonight I doubt we'll be trading him for anything on the 3rd day. My opinion is that Williams will be a primary DE that can move all over the line no matter the front. 

Drafting him is a bit of a head scratcher, but I do think that we drafted a good player and im glad that we wont be paying Wilk 10's of millions per year to play a position that Williams can play for the next half decade on a rookie contract. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

I'd love to see a 5-1-5 in the nickel making every OL have to go one on one against Wilkerson, Richardson, Harrison, Coples and Williams with Davis and Pryor patrolling the flat and Revis, Cro, Millner and Skrine in coverage.  

The Jets have so much flexibility offensive coordinators are gonna go insane trying to figure out what we'll do next. 

• Upvote 1

So you rather have a rotational D lineman causing one of your top 2 players on the entire team to be on the sideline over a potential game breaking WR in Kevin White? For a team near the bottom of the league in every statistical category on offense you get a D lineman which is already their biggest strength? This is asinine management by Macagnan who apparently forgot he is the General Manager now not a scout looking at the draft in a vacuum. This is bull ****

• Thumb Down 2

are you really questioning the football fit? i can see questioning not going another position but a forum poster questioning a football fit when there is a team of football lifers making the decisions is pretty stupid. i remember all the nonsense with richardson not being the "3 technique"...how did that work out?

WTF are you talking about, Richardson screamed 3 tech coming out of Mizzou. And they were very few people who though that he would not transfer well to a 5 tech.  The only "concern" on Richardson was where he was going to play with Coples/Ellis/Mo already in place and drafting a guy in the middle of the first to be a rotational player concerned some fans.  These are the same concerns that are being expressed now by jet fans regarding Williams.  You draft the best players and let them sort it out on the field.

I do however think that 2015 spells the end of Wilk with the Jets

So you rather have a rotational D lineman causing one of your top 2 players on the entire team to be on the sideline over a potential game breaking WR in Kevin White? For a team near the bottom of the league in every statistical category on offense you get a D lineman which is already their biggest strength? This is asinine management by Macagnan who apparently forgot he is the General Manager now not a scout looking at the draft in a vacuum. This is bull ****

Stop being dumb.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

I'd love to see a 5-1-5 in the nickel making every OL have to go one on one against Wilkerson, Richardson, Harrison, Coples and Williams with Davis and Pryor patrolling the flat and Revis, Cro, Millner and Skrine in coverage.

The Jets have so much flexibility offensive coordinators are gonna go insane trying to figure out what we'll do next.

5-1-5 is what I was thinking. Who the **** are these guys going to double team? Seriously, think about it.

• Upvote 1

Bowles' base defense is a nickel. Not the 3-4. That's why he went out and signed Skrine. He's not a backup, he will play starter-snaps.

-----------Harris - DD ----------------

Coples - Wilk - Sheldon - Williams

Snacks will only play limited snaps, on obvious running downs and 1st downs mainly.

• Upvote 2

In this NFL world, you look for opportunities to create match-up favorites and you rotate people.

Having great players is not a problem

We were already one of the best run D in the league, if you can get past the great Neon Sanders' great observation. So what do we do? We draft a DL to make us the best, sign 14 corners to be one of the best there too, and if Milliner becomes what he was supposed to, all hell can break loose. We just masked our average LBs and turned the D in to possibly the best in the league.

We grabbed Marshall to help with the passing game offense. Questions still remain at OL and QB so I hope we address at least the OL today and possibly OLB. I like where we are going. In 1-2 years, we'll have great flexibility with Mo, Snacks and Sheldon when it comes time for extensions.

Bowles' base defense is a nickel. Not the 3-4. That's why he went out and signed Skrine. He's not a backup, he will play starter-snaps.

Snacks will only play limited snaps, on obvious running downs and 1st downs mainly.

Where is Gregory or Harold going to play

Two TE set can negate a lot of pressure, I that only leaves 3 receivers to go up against some of the best in the football.

I don't think 5-1-5 will work though as quick passes will negate that pressure. Two TE sets with both TE in quick passing routes would essentially mean a mismatch against us. We'll have one LB to cover one of the two TE while the other TE will be covered by the slot.

Bowles is not an inventor. He simply picked BPA n decided to worry later. 5 years down the road, BPA strategy will start to prove it's worth.

How do you reconcile this with Bowles recently saying the 2 most important positions on defense are the Corners and the Nose tackle?

Two TE set can negate a lot of pressure, I that only leaves 3 receivers to go up against some of the best in the football.

I don't think 5-1-5 will work though as quick passes will negate that pressure. Two TE sets with both TE in quick passing routes would essentially mean a mismatch against us. We'll have one LB to cover one of the two TE while the other TE will be covered by the slot.

Bowles is not an inventor. He simply picked BPA n decided to worry later. 5 years down the road, BPA strategy will start to prove it's worth.

You don't deploy a 5-1-5 in a situation where a short pass can hurt you. I'm talking in nickel situations where its 3rd and 8 or longer. 

I don't know that Bowles is not an "inventor." The guy does a lot of unconventional things. The Cards snapped DeMarco Murray's 8-game 100-yard streak by employing a 4-tackle front last year. It won them the game.

Bowles is gonna find creative ways to use this talent. 

Where is Gregory or Harold going to play

I think there just will be more rotation in the nickel. They all can play outside and inside, except for Gregory.

3-4

-----Coples ------- Harris --- DD ---------Gregory

-----------Wilk ------Snacks ---Richardson--------

Nickel

---Skrine ----------------------Harris - DD-----------------

--------------Gregory --- Wilk/Coples - Sheldon/Williams - Coples/Williams

You can move Coples inside to give Wilk/Sheldon a break, then you have Williams outside. You can move Williams inside, move Wilk/Mo outside, give Coples a break. You can sub in Gregory for DD to blitz from the LB position and have Coples/Wilk/Sheldon/Williams up front. There's a million different formations Bowles can dial up, he can create all kinds of havoc. It's gonna be a nightmare for offenses to block these guys.

How do you reconcile this with Bowles recently saying the 2 most important positions on defense are the Corners and the Nose tackle?

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. The NT sets the tone, of course he's important in the sense that if he doesn't work the entire defense won't work. But that doesn't mean he's gonna play every down or whatever you're implying.

Yes, because Bowles is going to tell the entire league what he plans to do with the best DL in the world on May 1st.  Relax.  The best players will be on the field on gamedays.

Ha ha.  "Blueprints Please"

-rest of the league

Despite what Bowles said, we are going to see a tremendous number of 4 man fronts.  

A good coach adjusts the scheme to fit the talent he has.  Ineffective coaches try to fit square pegs into round holes.