Is this why Leonard Williams dropped in the draft?

Raideraholic

Jets No. 6 overall pick DE Leonard Williams is believed to have a shoulder issue that "might slow [his] development a bit."

Dr. David Chao also passed along a report Thursday night that Williams is believed to have labrum tears in both shoulders. That would obviously be an extreme cause for concern, but NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Jets don't believe Williams' shoulder problem is a "long-term concern." With RE Muhammad Wilkerson and LE Sheldon Richardson, the Jets can take it slow with Williams. May 1 - 10:30 AM

With Jets depth on the defense line they could afford to go slow with Williams, that other teams might not be able to do.

Jets No. 6 overall pick DE Leonard Williams is believed to have a shoulder issue that "might slow [his] development a bit."

Dr. David Chao also passed along a report Thursday night that Williams is believed to have labrum tears in both shoulders. That would obviously be an extreme cause for concern, but NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Jets don't believe Williams' shoulder problem is a "long-term concern." With RE Muhammad Wilkerson and LE Sheldon Richardson, the Jets can take it slow with Williams. May 1 - 10:30 AM

With Jets depth on the defense line they could afford to go slow with Williams, that other teams might not be able to do.

Yeah, had my team passed on the consensus #1 player in the draft I'd be grasping at straws this morning too. 

Saw that as well, but with the depth we have he can come into his with no pressure to immediately perform. He just needs to play his game and the rest shall fall into place.

The labrum really just affects his throwing motion to the point he's gonna have no zip on his out patterns; should be fine for holding and tossing OLinemen aside for TFLs though. :-)

Yeah, had my team passed on the consensus #1 player in the draft I'd be grasping at straws this morning too.

Just reporting the facts. I thought The Raiders would go defense ( wr depth is deeper to get in second round). They elected to take the best Wr in this draft. ( to team with Derek Carr) Now why would I be bitter, or have any regrets.

Again I gave the Jets props for taking him.

Just reporting the facts. I thought The Raiders would go defense ( wr depth is deeper to get in second round). They elected to take the best Wr in this draft. ( to team with Derek Carr) Now why would I be bitter, or have any regrets.

That is not a "fact".  He HAD a shoulder issue.  He played the entire season with no problems.  I really don't care that the Raiders past over him for Cooper; but please don't use some old injury as the reason why.   

That is not a "fact". He HAD a shoulder issue. He played the entire season with no problems. I really don't care that the Raiders past over him for Cooper; but please don't use some old injury as the reason why.

are you serious? that report is from a medical doctor that examined him. ( NFL doctor) He has a torn labrum in both his shoulder- fact. Should that have a long term effect on him- no. But for this year it very well might have effect on him. Playing with a torn labrum is no joke for an offense lineman, as well as defense lineman.

I tried to tell you, Cooper is best player in the draft, no way reggie was going to let him go

are you serious? that report is from a medical doctor that examined him. ( NFL doctor) He has a torn labrum in both his shoulder- fact. Should that have a long term effect on him- no. But for this year it very well might have effect on him. Playing with a torn labrum is no joke for an offense lineman, as well as defense lineman.

So it had no effect on him this past season.  He was asked about it and said it didn't bother him at all but as a precaution, as he continues the shoulder exercises he was prescribed as a sophomore.   I know the Jets did there homework so I am not in the least concerned.  He is only 20 years old and I am sure will have no long term issues.   I hope Cooper lives up to the hype; I preferred White or Parker over him anyway. 

You can't be this inane!!

No doctor who examines a patient has the right to discuss that patient's medical condition without written authorization from that patient. It violates HIPPA privacy standards!!

Think...

You think that your doctor would be able to say on Twitter you have warts on your groin and all would be well?  Ok, if not...

Then guess what neither could a doctor who represents a high flying client...

Also this doctor used to be the Chargers doctor who was barred from Hospitals and dismissed from his position...

Come on now, you are a better poster than this..

READ THIS...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/02/11/nfl-san-diego-chargers-david-chao/1911653/

SAN DIEGO -- The San Diego Chargers' head team physician has an extensive history of malpractice complaints from patients, including three who successfully sued him for awards that totaled $8.2 million.

The California state medical board also fined David Chao for misconduct in 2002 and issued a public reprimand against him in June 2012 for failing to disclose a drunken-driving conviction. The state board is moving to suspend or revoke his medical license, citing gross negligence in his care of patients.

Chao "committed repeated negligent acts in his care and treatment," according to the board — an allegation the doctor has steadfastly denied.

After looking into Chao's record, the head of the NFL players union said publicly during Super Bowl week that Chao should be removed from his job with the Chargers. But despite the legal black cloud that has hovered over him for years, Chao, 48, has kept his job for one big reason: Team management has stood by him. (Dr. Chao resigned in June, 2013)

That's why the players union wants reform. It's also why the union is using Chao as a symbol of a system it says fails to guarantee top medical care for its players.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And you quote this clown!!

Good Grief!!

Medical is just about the only thing you can trust this stupid team with. The line I'm hearing on Williams is that the league was never as high on him as the geeks were. Which frankly isn't much of a knock anymore.

Saw that on Walter football yesterday some time. (except it said as the media were) Didn't think much of it till he dropped.

As you said, ultimately almost meaningless, but explains the slide. 

No doctor who examines a patient has the right to discuss that patient's medical condition without written authorization from that patient. It violates HIPPA privacy standards!!

Think...

You think that your doctor would be able to say on Twitter you have warts on your groin and all would be well?  Ok, if not...

Also this doctor used to be the Chargers doctor who was barred from Hospitals and dismissed from his position...

READ THIS...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/02/11/nfl-san-diego-chargers-david-chao/1911653/

SAN DIEGO -- The San Diego Chargers' head team physician has an extensive history of malpractice complaints from patients, including three who successfully sued him for awards that totaled $8.2 million.

The California state medical board also fined David Chao for misconduct in 2002 and issued a public reprimand against him in June 2012 for failing to disclose a drunken-driving conviction. The state board is moving to suspend or revoke his medical license, citing gross negligence in his care of patients.

Chao "committed repeated negligent acts in his care and treatment," according to the board — an allegation the doctor has steadfastly denied.

After looking into Chao's record, the head of the NFL players union said publicly during Super Bowl week that Chao should be removed from his job with the Chargers. But despite the legal black cloud that has hovered over him for years, Chao, 48, has kept his job for one big reason: Team management has stood by him. (Dr. Chao resigned in June, 2013)

That's why the players union wants reform. It's also why the union is using Chao as a symbol of a system it says fails to guarantee top medical care for its players.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Good Grief!!

zomg hipaa violation, it's almost as if they signed a waiver with the nfl and by extension all 32 teams. almost as if maybe that's why this stuff is public when it concerns nfl players.

well since the NFL isnt Fantasy Football with new rosters every year, its still the best selection long term. Shoulder fixed, u get best player in draft, maybe 1/2 season later then desired, but still long term, right move

Saw that on Walter football yesterday some time. (except it said as the media were) Didn't think much of it till he dropped.

As you said, ultimately almost meaningless, but explains the slide. 

I think it was more, 2 QBs.  The best pass rusher, the best WR for a young QB, and Washington. 

Great we lost a potential #1 WR and let another potential #1 WR slip to the Dolphins. We should have re-signed Mo Wilk Taken White and went pass rusher in round 2. If LW is the best player in the draft i cant see how he fell to us, if the Skins and Raiders passed on him that makes me nervous. The skins have a great talent evaluator in Scot McCloughan, so its not the Skins of old. Now we have a potential problem with new management and Veteran players, they are toying with Mo. If they trade Mo this would be a terrible pick in my opinion. Now he has possible injury issues, wonderful!

Great we lost a potential #1 WR and let another potential #1 WR slip to the Dolphins. We should have re-signed Mo Wilk Taken White and went pass rusher in round 2. If LW is the best player in the draft i cant see how he fell to us, if the Skins and Raiders passed on him that makes me nervous. The skins have a great talent evaluator in Scot McCloughan, so its not the Skins of old. Now we have a potential problem with new management and Veteran players, they are toying with Mo. If they trade Mo this would be a terrible pick in my opinion. Now he has possible injury issues, wonderful!

its not fantasy football only think this year, it long term outlook,,,

its not fantasy football only think this year, it long term outlook,,,

I understand that. I keep hearing LW's ceiling is Mo Wilkerson. I know he is young but at 6 I would prefer someone who can contribute right away and has no serious injury history that can possibly a long term problem, especially at a position we are deep at. If Decker or Marshall go down then we are in the same boat as last year. If Wilk gets traded it would make it worse. If drafted White we could have had a possible #1 for a long time to come, something we havent had in a long time. If we draft DGB I will feel better besides this character issues. 

Think...

You think that your doctor would be able to say on Twitter you have warts on your groin and all would be well? Ok, if not...

READ THIS...

Good Grief!!

First every team is privilege to doctor information- on a player - must sign a waiver to be eligible for znfl draft - Strike one

second - how many doctors haven't had malpractice cases against them- culture of people trying to get something for nothing. why there so many ambulance chaser lawyers out there. Also why medical costs are shy rocketing so much. - everyone pays. strike Two

finally why didn't Leonard Williams not lift at the scouting combine - Shoulder

*Leonard Williams, DS #1 DT, Southern California Bookmark and Share

Selected: Round 1, Pick 6, Overall Pick 6 by Jets

Name: *Leonard Williams

College: Southern California Number: 94

Height: 6-5 Weight: 302

Position: DT Pos2: DE

Class/Draft Year: Jr/2015

40 Time: 4.91 40 Low: 4.81 40 High: 5.02

Projected Round: 1 Stock: High: Top 3/DTorDE Low: Top 5

Rated number 1 out of 177 DT's 1 / 2301 TOTAL

Combine Results

Pro Day Results

Combine Invite: Yes

Height: 6045

Weight: 302

40 Yrd Dash: 4.97

20 Yrd Dash: 2.88

10 Yrd Dash: 1.73 225 Lb. Bench Reps:

Vertical Jump: 29 1/2

Broad Jump: 08'10"

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.53

3-Cone Drill: 7.59

No Bench-Shoulder

Dates: 03/11/15

40 Yrd Dash:

20 Yrd Dash:

10 Yrd Dash: 225 Lb. Bench Reps:

Vertical Jump:

Broad Jump:

20 Yrd Shuttle:

3-Cone Drill:

4.88BC Pos Drills Only/No Bench-Shoulder

Draft Scout Snapshot: .

Strike three.

Again I don't know why you're getting upset I said it was a very good pick by the Jets they did the right thing. Just surprised he dropped that far , and wondering if that was the reason. good Grief. don't be a blockhead Charlie Vrown.

I understand that. I keep hearing LW's ceiling is Mo Wilkerson. I know he is young but at 6 I would prefer someone who can contribute right away and has no serious injury history that can possibly a long term problem, especially at a position we are deep at. If Decker or Marshall go down then we are in the same boat as last year. If Wilk gets traded it would make it worse. If drafted White we could have had a possible #1 for a long time to come, something we havent had in a long time. If we draft DGB I will feel better besides this character issues. 

You have to avoid that thinking or u end up taking solid Al Toon  type  and passing up a maybe potential reggie White type.. Helps in year 1 or 2 of where depth issue is, but long term , u hosed yourself..

First every team is privilege to doctor information- on a player - must sign a waiver to be eligible for znfl draft - Strike one

second - how many doctors haven't had malpractice cases against them- culture of people trying to get something for nothing. why there so many ambulance chaser lawyers out there. strike Two

Combine Results

Pro Day Results

No Bench-Shoulder

40 Yrd Dash:

20 Yrd Dash:

Vertical Jump:

Broad Jump:

20 Yrd Shuttle:

3-Cone Drill:

Strike three.

Again I don't know why you're getting upset I said it was a very good pick by the Jets they did the right thing. Just surprised he dropped that far , and wondering if that was the reason.

I'm actually not upset just having fun.  In truth I was one of the few on the board hoping that we moved up for a QB. I really feel that the NFL has made it almost impossible to win a SB unless you have a HOF caliber QB under center.

I am not against Geno or this pick (Williams seems to have stud potential) I just know that in the main we may win many games but not the SB prize unless and until we get the QB....

You have to avoid that thinking or u end up taking solid Al Toon  type  and passing up a maybe potential reggie White type.. Helps in year 1 or 2 of where depth issue is, but long term , u hosed yourself..

Fair point, and you may very well be 100% correct about the Toon and White comparison.

Is Chao the guy from the Hangover movies?

well since the NFL isnt Fantasy Football with new rosters every year, its still the best selection long term. Shoulder fixed, u get best player in draft, maybe 1/2 season later then desired, but still long term, right move

Yeah I still feel dumb taking Jordan Matthews over ODB in our dynasty league because ODB was dinged up... You're welcome :)

Lenny Williams is known to be the "#1 prospect" in the draft and the "most NFL ready" prospect in the draft.

Anyone pulling some sort of BS claiming why they passed on them is just making sh*t up.

Shoulder issues in the past?  Sure.

No reason to not draft him at #6...NO REASON.

second - how many doctors haven't had malpractice cases against them- culture of people trying to get something for nothing. why there so many ambulance chaser lawyers out there. Also why medical costs are shy rocketing so much. - everyone pays. strike Two

Combine Results

Pro Day Results

No Bench-Shoulder

40 Yrd Dash:

20 Yrd Dash:

Vertical Jump:

Broad Jump:

20 Yrd Shuttle:

3-Cone Drill:

Strike three.

Again I don't know why you're getting upset I said it was a very good pick by the Jets they did the right thing. Just surprised he dropped that far , and wondering if that was the reason. good Grief. don't be a blockhead Charlie Vrown.

Remember when you were telling everyone that they had no idea what they were talking about, that there was no chance the Raiders would take Cooper

Williams dropped because:

1- the top 2 teams needed QBs and there were 2 highly rated QBs available. An 8/10 QB prospect will always go ahead of a 10/10 DL prospect and if the Jets were picking at 1 or 2 the would have done the same as Tenn and TB.

2- The raiders are retarded and wanted to to pair a stud WR with their young QB

3- The Redskins are retarded and reached for a OL to help protect RG3. 

4- Fowler was probably as gifted a player as Williams in the Jaguars eyes.  

If Williams shoulder was 100pct, I would bet the draft goes down the exact same way. 

Archived