does williams make jets’ defense best in NFL ? ? ?

kelly

It isn’t likely to be fun watching Geno Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick play quarterback for the Jets. But it sure will be fun — for however long they are all together, for however long Muhammad Wilkerson is a Jet — watching the modern-day version of the New York Sack Exchange.

Mike Maccagnan didn’t want to pay the price to trade up with Tennessee for Marcus Mariota, but he lucked into the next big thing — a 6-foot-5, 300-pounder named Leonard Williams, the best player in the draft who fell into his lap at No. 6, and a player who reminds some of former Patriot Richard Seymour.“This defense is gonna be absolutely phenomenal, it really is,” former Jets great Joe Klecko told The Post. “I just hope they don’t get filled with themselves, because they’re gonna be good, they’re gonna be real good. There ain’t no doubt in my mind.”

I asked Klecko if this can be the best defense in the NFL.“Oh yeah, I think so, I really do. I really believe that,” he said.“Listen, even if they didn’t draft this kid where they drafted him at, and they kept in place what they had up front, you know, with the front seven guys — the biggest thing they did was the three guys [Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Buster Skrine] in the back. You take those wide receivers and slot guy, and you got ’em covered. You got ’em covered. I’ll tell you what — that’s a quarterback’s nightmare.”

Klecko, Mark Gastineau, Marty Lyons and Abdul Salaam didn’t have the luxury of a Revis in the secondary.“Every great defense you look at, basically, has great cornerbacks,” Klecko said. “I mean, listen — how good were we as a defensive line? We were great, we really were. And we’d get after the passer. Our cornerbacks were mediocre in best of times. You have cornerbacks like these three guys they have? Let me tell you something — that is the world of difference. It’s almost like a crime to have those kind of guys on the field.

“I think the defense, without a doubt, could be the best.”The Williams coup means Wilkerson just lost his leverage on any long-term deal, which makes his future uncertain. The Jets say they aren’t shopping him, but you know how that goes. There is, after all, a salary cap.For now, allow yourself to fantasize over a defensive line of Williams, Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson and Damon “Snacks” Harrison, with Revis and Cromartie on the back end of Todd Bowles’ hybrid defense that will keep Smith or Fitzpatrick in every game.

Klecko would be in favor of keeping Wilkerson.“I think Wilkerson will be a different player under Todd Bowles, I really do,” he said.Asked why, Klecko said: “Professional football players today, if you let them run wild … you give ’em an inch, they’ll take a mile. I don’t think Todd Bowles is gonna give ’em an inch. I think Todd Bowles is gonna make ’em toe the line.“Rex was a loosey-goosey guy, people loved playing for Rex because, what the hell? He’s like a father that allowed you to do whatever you wanted. These guys are gonna be a little more disciplined, and that’s gonna be a good thing.”

Klecko would like to see more intensity from Wilkerson.“Sheldon Richardson,you can rip one of his arms off, he’ll never stop,you know what I mean?” Klecko said. “He’s just that kind of player. He just can’t stop, he goes and goes and goes. If Wilkerson had that kind of motor, he’d be level with J.J. Watt. He has that kind of size, he’s a monster.”Williams is a 20-year-old monster who can play anywhere on the defensive line. “Why wouldn’t you go to a four-man line?” Klecko said.

With Richardson outside ?

“Exactly, that’s what I was thinking, yeah,” he said.I asked Klecko how he would compare this prospective defensive line to the old Sack Exchange.“I think they have more talent, they really do,” Klecko said.He has watched highlights of Williams. “He uses his hands well, real well,” Klecko said. “A guy that has any kind of strength can use his hands well, is gonna do well in the NFL.”

What would Klecko want to say to Jets fans ?“Well make sure you don’t miss the first game, that’s all,” he said, and laughed.

> http://nypost.com/2015/05/01/quarterbacks-nightmare-jets-sack-exchange-is-back-and-terrifying/

Yes it absolutely is.

So long as we play a conservative ball control offense and not turn the ball over, Jets are going to win the Super Bowl this year

You guys are like clockwork right after the draft every year.

Not sure if I've ever seen a Paper Tiger team win the Super Bowl.

It happpened last year. 

You guys signed Revis, and BOOM over the hurdle. It proved to be right, I think he reminded you all of that in his exit interview. You needed him, he didn't need you.

We also know like clockwork the the NEP's will find a new way to cheat too.

The only two teams convicted of cheating this year were the Jets and Falcons.

...and once again the NEP will be added. They are clearly consistent performers in this area. They are a disgrace to the game.

Don't you have ANYTHING better to do with your life than to talk smack the day after the draft on a Jets Board?  

The only two teams convicted of cheating this year were the Jets and Falcons.

That just gives you a window into the mentality of a Pats fans. When it comes to cheating allegations they have to look at it on an annual basis and feel extremely satisfied when there name hasn't been officially called, as yet.

Hahaha wait a minute, is this confirmed? Does he actually live at his parents house?

My assumption but that would be my guess. Guy has over 100,000 posts just on Jets message boards. Either that or he's never seen a vagina before.

Don't you have ANYTHING better to do with your life than to talk smack the day after the draft on a Jets Board?  

Of course he doesn't, he is a patriots fan, he probably believed that they were going to get the number 6 pick from us and now he has a sad face because we got Leonard Williams but hasn't figured out yet that his team got a steal with their own pick last night.

While there is a possibility it can be the best, I think it's way too early to tell because we don't know how Williams fits in with the Jets.  Sticking with a 3-4 scheme makes it that our best case scenario is cycling through the guys to keep them fresh.  And if we move to 4-3, then that's a scheme change, and we don't know how the players we have will transition over.   

Does it have the potential?  Absolutely.  A lock down CB group, and nasty front line can go a long way in making life a living hell for quarterbacks and running backs.  However, our LB crew is still OK at best.  And TEs are going to give us trouble, and every team in the AFC East has a good TE now.  It'll be interesting to see how all of this shakes out, but there is some legit hope that we can have a nasty defense circa '09.  

Archived