welcome to the JETS, LORENZO MAULDIN!

Blackout

40 times for OLBs is just dumb. Polian says that it is a relative thing and a gating thing at certain positions in terms of translating to actual game quickness but Brandt yesterday said that he plays super fast, and non stop. 100% effort from a 4.8 guy with good technique, is game faster than 85% from a 4.5 guy. Bowles said he plays like a 4.6 guy but with superior techniique, so he will not be an elite speed rusher, but he could be an extremely effective and productive rusher. Brandt said he acually outplayed Beasley last year. 

He is also a beast against the run and can drop into coverage....  two additional skills that can make him a 3 down player. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a measurable versus motor argument with Mauldin.  He's got toughness, drive and desire.  Gholston had none of these but was a superb athlete.  Mauldin will be our starting OLB along with Trevor Reilly (steal last year) in 2016.  And he'll be a locker room leader IMO.

im with you loved the Trevor pick last year at 7 was a steal

I do. You're not getting some hidden gem who's going to end up leading the league in sacks but you're getting a guy who can do everything well. He's not an incredible athlete which is why he's a 3rd round pick but the guy is a solid Football player who could end up being a solid starter in the league for a long time. What I like about him is, I think he fits the scheme well, which is why I had the Cardinals taking him too. He rushes up the middle well. Which is where the Jets are going to have a lot of luck now that they've added Williams.

He kind of reminds me of that kid from the Cardinals, Alex Okafor who had 8 sacks in Bowles D last year. Maybe on the higher side, Lamarr Woodley.

I think the kid is pretty athletic. He isn't a 5 star athlete but what I see from his play is really good ball instinct .. Which is vital.

His measurables are weak

He's 100% football player!

I remember when I wanted the Jets to pick Zack Thomas. Everyone was like, "he's too small, not strong enough, blah, blah, & blah."

You know what I saw when I watched him play?

A damn good "FOOTBALL PLAYER!"

Sometimes being a really good FOOTBALL PLAYER trumps all that measurables bullsh*t!

He's 100% football player!

I remember when I wanted the Jets to pick Zack Thomas. Everyone was like, "he's too small, not strong enough, blah, blah, & blah."

You know what I saw when I watched him play?

A damn good "FOOTBALL PLAYER!"

Sometimes being a really good FOOTBALL PLAYER trumps all that measurables bullsh*t!

We had a 6th rd draft pick back in 1977 that was 100% football player.. Some friends and I had some drinks with him in a club he had in Rockville Center back in the early 80's.. We were busting his chops about his 40 time which was around 4.8-4.9 area.. He said if the QB's were 40 yds behind the line of scrimmage I guess I wouldn't have had a 20.5 sacks last year.. His name was Joe you may have heard of him... :winking0001:

I hate this pick. 

Frankly, I don't care about him overcoming his life situation.  I care about football.

I do not believe that Maudlin will impact the game greater than a Tevin Coleman or a Duke Johnson - impact RB's that IMO quite literally would have contributed much more to winning games than Maudlin will at OLB (and yes I liked Eli Harold much more).

I feel Maudlin has a very low ceiling and Coleman, Johnson and Harold have much more potential.

I hate the trade down, hate it.  And before taking any heat for it for not being a professional scout, Tony Pauline and Mike Westhoff hate it too.

giphy.gif

I hate this pick. 

Frankly, I don't care about him overcoming his life situation.  I care about football.

I do not believe that Maudlin will impact the game greater than a Tevin Coleman or a Duke Johnson - impact RB's that IMO quite literally would have contributed much more to winning games than Maudlin will at OLB (and yes I liked Eli Harold much more).

I feel Maudlin has a very low ceiling and Coleman, Johnson and Harold have much more potential.

I hate the trade down, hate it.  And before taking any heat for it for not being a professional scout, Tony Pauline and Mike Westhoff hate it too.

Agreed. He's a stiff.

Holy, tearful, balls; I want to have his jersey now, god-dammit!

LOL

I'm sure your being sarcastic, but I swore some years ago, about 10 months after I bought a genuine Robertson, home and away jerseys that I would never buy another authentic jersey.

I may buy one for this guy.   Really like him

Nah.  I'll hedge my bet and wait until game 6 to see if he's hoing to be a player

LOL

I'm sure your being sarcastic, but I swore some years ago, about 10 months after I bought a genuine Robertson, home and away jerseys that I would never buy another authentic jersey.

I may buy one for this guy.   Really like him

Nah.  I'll hedge my bet and wait until game 6 to see if he's hoing to be a player

Nope, not being sarcastic in the slightest. I truly like this kid and would love to have a jersey. The only ones I have are Thomas Jones, Keller, and Cromartie.

Not that I have the money to buy a jersey, but that's not the point.

I drafted Maudlin in the 3rd round of the JN draft for the Cardinals.

??? Could have sworn I took him...there were two drafts maybe ?

Any who ....love this pick..I really really miss having productive OLBs and I hope he pans out and becomes an All Pro!!

Nope, not being sarcastic in the slightest. I truly like this kid and would love to have a jersey. The only ones I have are Thomas Jones, Keller, and Cromartie.

Not that I have the money to buy a jersey, but that's not the point.

Good.

I didn't like the pick when it went down.  I have come to realize, after investigating the kid, he's not a numbers guy, he's a football player.

I think we're going to like this guy  

Edit:  Ya got to feel blessed about the Cro jersey  :)

Good.

I didn't like the pick when it went down.  I have come to realize, after investigating the kid, he's not a numbers guy, he's a football player.

I think we're going to like this guy  

Edit:  Ya got to feel blessed about the Cro jersey   :)

Exactly. This kid has a true and unadulterated passion for the game and he not only lives to play, but plays to live. He has the potential to be pretty special.

And yes, I do. Gift from my brother a few years back. I'm so glad that Cro is back and I have a relevant jersey to wear again. :biggrin:

DESIRE!

FEAR OF FAILURE!

These are the things that take average football players & turn them into All Pros.

This league is littered with athletic freaks strewn among the burned out ashes of players that have failed to live up to lofty expectations.

Combine winners that worked extra hard to turn themselves into workout warriors to fool the eye of the men hired to find football players for our team.

Gholston, Stephen Hill, Ducasse (the dancing bear my azz).

Guys like Lorenzo work SO HARD that they become leaders. I don't think fans have any idea how successful our team can be next year under the discipline of Bowles.

The days of us having a coach tell us how great we are, or the players spewing every week that we COULD be the best are over.

Production will win out, competetition will be intense at camp.

Players will be earning starting jobs, and the players who are guaranteed starters are already self starters, Revis, Cro, Sheldon, Davis, Harris, Skrine, Dbrick, Mangold, Decker, Marshall, Ivory.

I love Mo but I think he coasted too much under Rex & us drafting Williams will light a fire under his azz. Amaro needs to step it up, along with all our TEs, our safeties need to step it up too.

There is a lot of leadership on this team again, not the rah rah type but a lot of guys that lead with their practice habits & play on the field. Every other player will have to match that intensity.

Can't wait!

DESIRE!

FEAR OF FAILURE!

These are the things that take average football players & turn them into All Pros.

This league is littered with athletic freaks strewn among the burned out ashes of players that have failed to live up to lofty expectations.

Combine winners that worked extra hard to turn themselves into workout warriors to fool the eye of the men hired to find football players for our team.

Gholston, Stephen Hill, Ducasse (the dancing bear my azz).

Guys like Lorenzo work SO HARD that they become leaders. I don't think fans have any idea how successful our team can be next year under the discipline of Bowles.

The days of us having a coach tell us how great we are, or the players spewing every week that we COULD be the best are over.

Production will win out, competetition will be intense at camp.

Players will be earning starting jobs, and the players who are guaranteed starters are already self starters, Revis, Cro, Sheldon, Davis, Harris, Skrine, Dbrick, Mangold, Decker, Marshall, Ivory.

I love Mo but I think he coasted too much under Rex & us drafting Williams will light a fire under his azz. Amaro needs to step it up, along with all our TEs, our safeties need to step it up too.

There is a lot of leadership on this team again, not the rah rah type but a lot of guys that lead with their practice habits & play on the field. Every other player will have to match that intensity.

Can't wait!

Great post, I especially agree with the bolded part.

Archived