the trade down

Dcat

For Bowles Scheme, Mauldin's high energy motor is a good fit.  The guy is relentless and will compliment our d-line's pressure on the QB.  He is also a workaholic that will hopefully push Coples and Davis in practice to play harder.

With that said, I would have liked to stay with the pick and select Duke who i really wanted or Harold but it is what it is.  I wanted Devin Smith over Strong so I'm not upset we didn't select him before the trade.  Hopefully we get a decent prospect with that 5th round pick.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no drafts are made in the 5-7 rounds. Maybe 2-5. 6 & 7 rounders are usually useless

Tom Brady says hi...

Seriously, everyone is complaining about NOT getting Eli Harold, but getting Mauldin and two extra picks?  I could have swore I read this week where people were hoping the Jets could move down in a round and recoup some of the picks we traded.

Are Jets fans EVER happy? 

I think Jax. taking A.J Cann in the 3rd 3 spots in front of us is what made Mac trade down. Obviously, didn't have alot of the guys who could potentially go between 70 and 82 rated that much higher than Mauldin. Time will tell.

it seemed that nobody I wanted went between 45-70, then everyone I wanted went between 70-82

Tom Brady says hi...

Seriously, everyone is complaining about NOT getting Eli Harold, but getting Mauldin and two extra picks?  I could have swore I read this week where people were hoping the Jets could move down in a round and recoup some of the picks we traded.

Are Jets fans EVER happy? 

There was this one time, in 1969.

Why does everyone assume Mac wanted Harold?  If he did then he wouldn't make the trade.  If he did like him but decided he would risk a trade down then again, he didn't want him as much as people would think.  People go crazy if a pick is made and  they don't know who he is.  Do the research and see that the kid can play and will be a good fit for our defense.

Why does everyone assume Mac wanted Harold?  If he did then he wouldn't make the trade.  If he did like him but decided he would risk a trade down then again, he didn't want him as much as people would think.  People go crazy if a pick is made and  they don't know who he is.  Do the research and see that the kid can play and will be a good fit for our defense.

First off, I don't think anyone is going crazy...

Secondly, at least for me, I'm just a little unhappy that it wasn't a good value trade - that's a lot move down in the third round, when there's so much value still left...Just seems like they didn't get value in return.

If they got a 4th instead of the 5 and 7 - I would be okay with it (still would rather have had the higher pick though)

the round 3 trade down broke my heart. Duke Johnson and Eli Harold were there at 70 and both taken before 82.  Just horrible. Mauldin better be worth it.  Having Duke and Harold available at 70 was gold AFAIC.  I guess they weren't as high on Macs board as I had hoped.  IMO pick 152 isn't worth losing the chance to draft Harold or Johnson.  They should have ran to the podium at 70. No knock on Mauldin here.  He's traveled down a very hard road to get where he is.  And now he's a Jet and I'll be rooting for him.  

But damn.   

I feel your pain when it comes to guys you covet. 

With that said though we still have a chance at a quality RB. Jay Ajayi is still on the board. This is a guy who rushed for almost 2k yards and received almost 550 yards. Down hill runner too. 

Watching the first 30 seconds of Mauldin's video got me pysched!!!  Love the pick even more now.  

he is so unathletic he broke out a Backflip.

i love the fact he goes after it . can't wait to see him swarming around with the rest of the front 7. 

Couldn't agree more.

And I think (I'm very much reading bt the lines here) Mac has hinted twice that he missed on this trade both in his presser with Bowles after Day 2 as well as with his interview at Florham Park in the dome - essentially saying it's educated guessing when you trade down and sometimes the guys you hoped for get taken 2-3 picks ahead of you.

Pick #152 is worthless, we really could've gotten an impact STARTER in the 3rd round today but Mac got too cute IMO.

I will forever compare Mauldin to Eli Harold and Tevin Coleman's impact (Duke Johnson too who would've been a PERFECT complement to Ivory.

Where can I find that presser, never mind, I found it

The jets were going to trade down at some point, i thought 2nd round but when that did not happen i was not surprised at all they traded down in the 3rd, they wanted more picks and on draft day really only one way to do so.  There must have been something about harold they did not love.  I don;t have a major issue with the trade down. 

If there is one thing i've learned about following the draft over the years is that your team will never make you 100% happy with their moves.

One thing that struck me about the Mauldin pick was how Charlie Strong told Mayock that they constantly had to tell him to tone it down at practice. Speaking of Strong, Louisville had a decent amount of guys go again. The man can recruit. Don't think it will be long before Texas back in the hunt.

I'm stoked on the kid we got. He has great energy, and will bring some fire to the roster.

Harold is bland. He has the measurables but disappears. We got the right guy.

need younger linebackers.  round three is about as low as you can go and get one who will actually be on the field.

I like the move. Got a high energy guy to push the LB's already on the roster and added two picks to potentially create some depth on the roster. Not much to complain about here.

the 7 is a meh---the 5 is a maybe

He's unathletic compared to Vernon Gholston, too. I'm willing to see what happens. 

I never considered Bryan Thomas or Calvin Pace particularly athletic, but they stuck around a while.  Agree. Wait and see.  He certainly will not need a fire lit under him.

the round 3 trade down broke my heart. Duke Johnson and Eli Harold were there at 70 and both taken before 82.  Just horrible. Mauldin better be worth it.  Having Duke and Harold available at 70 was gold AFAIC.  I guess they weren't as high on Macs board as I had hoped.  IMO pick 152 isn't worth losing the chance to draft Harold or Johnson.  They should have ran to the podium at 70. No knock on Mauldin here.  He's traveled down a very hard road to get where he is.  And now he's a Jet and I'll be rooting for him.  

But damn.

From everything I have read, while Harold seems to have the better "combine numbers," everything I read about Mauldin repeats the same phrase: a NATURAL EDGE RUSHER & Football player.

Seems MacCags feels we got more picks and the same player in essence .

The jets were going to trade down at some point, i thought 2nd round but when that did not happen i was not surprised at all they traded down in the 3rd, they wanted more picks and on draft day really only one way to do so.  There must have been something about harold they did not love.  I don;t have a major issue with the trade down. 

If there is one thing i've learned about following the draft over the years is that your team will never make you 100% happy with their moves.

So true. We're hostages to highlight tape and mock rankings. It screws with our heads. The Jets were in perfect position to get the players mentioned as misses. If they were high on them, they would have stayed put. They didn't want Harold or Strong. Plain enough.

the 7 is a meh---the 5 is a maybe

My feeling is that every pick is valuable, even 7th rounders.  I used to get irate when Tanny and REx treated them like garbage.

Think of this.  Each year there are about 8-10 UDFA signed by teams after the draft.  That pool of players is actually larger than the number of players picked in the draft.  One 7th round pick puts you at the head of that list and gets you players you might not get otherwise as UDFA.  Just from a statistical point of view even 7th rounders have value.

we will have to wait and see, but the idea behind it was sound.

lorenzo outweighs the sissy kid from virginia by 20 lbs.  lorenzo seems like a better prospect for a 3-4 rush 'backer (hey I used geek slang there)

3rd down RB's have to prove they can pass protect and hold onto the football before they play.  powell has done so.  I wanted pass catching rb too, but the draft isn't over

macc got back the 5th he traded for marshall

macc got back the 7th he traded for the beard

macc got back the 6th (I'm estimating posey's value here if you want to argue go ahead) izdick traded for harvin

this must be what its like to be a steelers fan on draft day

70 was the perfect spot to take a QB.  I really wanted Grayson here.  We could have finally moved on from Simms and then some on the upside.  

Besides which I've been watching game tape on Mauldin and he does not impress me.  Hope I'm wrong of course.

These are highlight films but yeah - it's actually not even close - Mauldin looks like a stud.

He certainly seems to be VERY athletic and doesn't look slow at all.

This guy is incredibly productive. He must've made around 20 sacks or tackles for losses within about 3 1/2 minutes. If he can just keep that up...

The only weakness I noticed was poor choice of highlight reel music. But that's what coaching is for.

Archived