the trade down

Dcat

Watching the way the board is falling now and this trade is looking less and less worth it. Big drop off in OL happening.

I don't think they were even looking at OL in this draft. It's not the major need fans try to make it out to be. Idzik drafted a handful of guys who are still on the team, and they signed a FA guard this year who's penciled in to start. Aboushi, Campbell, and Dozier will all compete. Colon is back. Every position they've hit (after the first round DL) filled a greater need. 

• Upvote 1

brandt had Harold rated in the high 20's low 30's and Mauldin in the high 80's low 90's

Brandt's ratings reflect the way NFL boards will stack, and 4.85 OLBs will be 3rd rounders because of the 40 time, but I am just repeating what Brandt said, he thinks he is an extremely good player, and productive.

I don't think they were even looking at OL in this draft. It's not the major need fans try to make it out to be. Idzik drafted a handful of guys who are still on the team, and they signed a FA guard this year who's penciled in to start. Aboushi, Campbell, and Dozier will all compete. Colon is back. Every position they've hit (after the first round DL) filled a greater need. 

Not a major need this year, sure. But we need to start grooming replacements at the ends and for Mangold if we don't want to be stuck drafting high for them in the future. Interior too for different reasons.

Not a major need this year, sure. But we need to start grooming replacements at the ends and for Mangold if we don't want to be stuck drafting high for them in the future. Interior too for different reasons.

What position do you think Dozier plays?

• Upvote 1

just look at the tape  which one do you like better. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1gZpSh5uVg

Not sure what you are going for here, but watching those two videos looks like Maudlin is a much better football player, Harold is a speed edge rusher. In our defense I take Maudlin every day, he has great game speed, better at the run and will get to the QB. Will have less highlight reel sacks but more production,.

Not sure what you are going for here, but watching those two videos looks like Maudlin is a much better football player, Harold is a speed edge rusher. In our defense I take Maudlin every day, he has great game speed, better at the run and will get to the QB. Will have less highlight reel sacks but more production,.

Everything you said is what i was going for. the kid looks just as good if not better than Harold.

Usually i like trading down BUT I did not like this trade down because the JETS did not get the fair value in picks and because Jaelen Strong was a great steal in the 3rd round.

And maybe the trade down won't have looked so bad if they could  have traded up in the 3rd round a few spots to nab Duke Johnson.

Macc gambled that Harold would be there.

• Our #6 pick landed a top 2 player in the draft. = A+
  • Our 2nd round pick landed a 1st round graded player. I'd have taken DGB, but I didn't spend time vetting him the way our front office did. So I trust this pick. A+ considering the value and how he fits well with our WR corps.
  • When our 3rd rounder arrived there were solid 2nd round talent players available. Odighizuwa, Strong, Duke Johnson, and Harold. By trading down all we really substantially gained was the 5th rounder. So we have to see what Macc does with it. If we take Jay Ajayi I'm cool with it. But at this point it's hard to see how this wasn't a fail by our front office. Instead of landing one of the 2nd round graded guys I listed above we took a 4th-5th round LB in Mauldin. I have high hopes for this kid, it's just about the value. Right now this trade down and pick gets a D from me.
  • Petty was the obvious choice in the 4th and we did a great job beating out the Browns and moving up one for a minimal price. Great job by our rookie GM. Savvy move. A+ from me. Petty is as NFL ready as Mariota and is not the off the field disaster Winston is. So I like him in this spot.
Exactly how I feel.

Same grades as you, solid draft. B+ or A- overall

Though Mauldin wasn't a 4 or 5 round guy, he was solid value where he went. Just wasn't a steal like the other guys would have been

So for moving down, they got Lorenzo Mauldin (OLB), Jarvis Harrison (G), and secured Bryce Petty (QB), leaving them with two (instead of one) seventh rounders. 

Does it still look bad? Not from my angle. 

Watching the first 30 seconds of Mauldin's video got me pysched!!!  Love the pick even more now.  

going by the 2 videos mauldin looks like a much better prospect. th eone play that stood out ot me most in the harold video happens about 50 seconds or so into it where he gets completely stonewalled and then winds up licking into an interception or fumble recovery (i cant remember which). there was another "highlight" in there where he cant get around the tackle but i believe he picks up a fumble where his teammate made the highlight play imo

MacCagnan has been around long enough that if he really wanted one of these guys he would have stayed and picked them.  He must have had a number of olbs rated very closely.

The trade down did get us a developmental guard with good physical talent and it ensured we got the dvelopmental QB we wanted.