Jets' Eric Decker says ease up on Geno Smith

Scoop24

Geno still has a shot.

Yes, he does.  If he doesn't show improvement this year, then it's time to cut ties with him, but he does have an opportunity to right the ship now that he has some decent coaches in place and some weapons around him, neither of which he's had in either of his first two years.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sounds like somebody noticed marshall following geno around like a puppy, lol

j/k

its good to see these guys stick up for each other

Were offensive players allowed to even speak last year being 2nd rate citizens on the team. 

I like the way the Jets are handling the QB situation thus far. When Marshall was picked up we saw him and Geno and him start to bond immediately and now we see Decker having Geno's back. However, the front office also realizes that Geno may never turn into a franchise QB so they went out and got a solid Vet for this year and the went out and drafted a talented kid that can develop behind whoever wins the starting job. 

A+ on their handling of the situation thus far. May not lead to results but is probably the best they could do given the circumstances. it's not like they had the option of bringing in Peyton or Rodgers. 

I was a Geno Hater, but now I am a fan. 

He is Marcus Mariotta with 2 years of experience and has a-lot of upside. I surely want to see what he can do in a better offensive scheme and better weapons. I am surely hoping he is our starter for the first few games. I really think he showed somthing towards the end of last season. 

Not sure why so many Jets fans are down on Geno. Lots of QB's start off slow because of adjusting or bad coaching or a combination of both. I am not guaranteeing that Smith will improve - but I think that this year he has a much better opportunity to improve than he ever has in the past.

I agree, I'm all in on giving geno one more chance this year. I feel fairly certain that if geno wasn't doing all the right things and working hard that decker would just say nothing at all.

And his cerebral cortex.

If we know a player coming from the spreads biggest challenge is learning a real nfl offense then how can you blame a guy that was unjustly started in his rookie season. Maybe guys from a pro style offense can come right in and even then it's a steep curve. It would be stupid for the titans to start mariota too but they will.

The real shame in this situation is that we got to see geno make all of his mistakes while he learned on the field Guys who sit get to make mistakes in practice, learn from them and no one knows except the team and coaches. Now he gets criticized because we're seeing him learn on the fly and everyone has already lost patience with him.

If we know a player coming from the spreads biggest challenge is learning a real nfl offense then how can you blame a guy that was unjustly started in his rookie season. Maybe guys from a pro style offense can come right in and even then it's a steep curve. It would be stupid for the titans to start mariota too but they will.

The real shame in this situation is that we got to see geno make all of his mistakes while he learned on the field Guys who sit get to make mistakes in practice, learn from them and no one knows except the team and coaches. Now he gets criticized because we're seeing him learn on the fly and everyone has already lost patience with him.

One of the more intelligent posts I have seen on this board.  Well done.

This pretty much sums it up.

12_jessie_james_june.jpg

Hey HessStation, I think you need to change your screen name over to Speedway since that's what all the Hess Stations in south Florida have now done. Speedway does have a nice ring to it does it not?

You're right.

We should have all excused him for missing the meeting in San Diego because he was still learning on the fly.

don't care where he came from 2 years starting in nfl if he doesn't show signs of getting it by now, he never will. he has started as many nfl games as most starting qbs play in their entire college career.

don't care where he came from 2 years starting in nfl if he doesn't show signs of getting it by now, he never will. he has started as many nfl games as most starting qbs play in their entire college career.

And he played in a system where Qb's go to die and for a HC who wished he didn't need a QB - just run the ball and the damn wildcat.

And he played in a system where Qb's go to die and for a HC who wished he didn't need a QB - just run the ball and the damn wildcat.

true as it may be, it's been two years. someone who can mentally handle the game would've showed us a sign.

Decker also highlighted the fact that Gailey is the third offensive coordinator Smith has had since 2013 (and the fourth for the Jets since 2011). "I've been through it in college, I had a new coach every year and in the NFL, this is my fourth offense,'' said Decker

I don't think this is right.  Geno came in 2013 - had Mornhinweg both years and now Gailey.  I guess they are counting his college coach, but wasn't that 2012?  When the Jets had Sparano Geno was still at WVU.

true as it may be, it's been two years. someone who can mentally handle the game would've showed us a sign.

Last four games of the season? I know, the season was already over, it didn't count etc. 

How different would the board feel if freakin Rex didn't end his starting QB's season in a meaningless preseason game?

Geno on the bench for a year to learn, instead of being rushed in as a rookie second rounder with a total crap supporting cast.  I actually have hope for Geno, but this year is REALLY important for him.

Last four games of the season? I know, the season was already over, it didn't count etc. 

He did the same thing first season during garbage time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjmjqlOPd6A

I think the thought is that you generally have 3 years to develop. Not 2. Let's see what he's got this year and then you can talk all the trash you want.

Realistically though there is a reason why Grayson and mannion went before petty and hundley despite the fact that mannion was the consensus 4th qb in that group. Having experience in a pro style system puts you way ahead and being in a college spread puts you way behind. The only guy I remember succeeding out of a spread is Alex smith and it took him like 7 years to develop.

Grayson after 2 years in the nfl will have 6 years of learning with pro style and pro concepts since he was doing it in college. Geno smith or Bryce petty after 2 years of nfl experience will still only have 2 years pro experience. That's why college spread qbs need to sit and learn.

I think the thought is that you generally have 3 years to develop. Not 2. Let's see what he's got this year and then you can talk all the trash you want.

Realistically though there is a reason why Grayson and mannion went before petty and hundley despite the fact that mannion was the consensus 4th qb in that group. Having experience in a pro style system puts you way ahead and being in a college spread puts you way behind. The only guy I remember succeeding out of a spread is Alex smith and it took him like 7 years to develop.

Grayson after 2 years in the nfl will have 6 years of learning with pro style and pro concepts since he was doing it in college. Geno smith or Bryce petty after 2 years of nfl experience will still only have 2 years pro experience. That's why college spread qbs need to sit and learn.

don't believe i require your permission to say whatever i want.

i trust my eyes and my eyes says the guy stinks and is quite probably a moron. if you already know the answer, you turn in your quiz early. i hope jets start fitz.

I haven't heard/seen much "hate" for Geno, just that he sucks. Sanchez was treated much worse, with people saying he would be out of the league or in the CFL after his rookie contract, and many posts on message boards for supposed Jets fans stating that they hoped he would get injured.

Amen.

I am tired of Geno's soul crushing interceptions at just the right point.

If I was a defensive player on the Jets I would "trip" into to him and try to take his arm out.

He is god awful.

lol

Archived