Welcome Bryce Petty!!

JetBlue

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geno's problem is when they say hut he thinks of Pizza Hut

I don't know you keep feeling the need to denigrate Geno's intelligence;  Is this projection?   You take any raw qb from a spread offense, throw him to the wolves with few if any weapons and you will have a guy who struggles.  Now Geno may not have developed even if he sat for a year but we will never know.  All I do know is people like Trent Dilfer, who actually know a little something about quarterbacks and the struggles they go through, is optimistic that Geno, going into his 3rd year, with legit weapons, a better OC will perform much better this year.  I think I will go with his analysis, instead of your comedy act. 

There's no one -me, included- who wouldn't like to move on from Geno Smith to a better QB. I'm just not sure that Fitz is it. I also think they'd prefer to open the season with Geno and pull the plug if they have to, than open the season with Fitz and be in a position where they have to bench him for Geno. They have no ties to Geno, but I don't think they'll want to dump him prematurely. That may (will?) be the end result, but I expect them to give him a long look in person, first. 

It would certainly make more sense to start off with Geno and go to the veteran if he struggles, but the new regime spent a lot of money in free agent signings and as a result, the Jets have become more of a "now" team as far as I'm concerned, and if the coach and GM feel the same way, I'm not sure they would want to give Geno a few games to see what he's got as opposed to turning over the team to a capable game manager type veteran QB to steer the ship while they develop Petty.  Time will tell. 

Have always thought Petty was hot garbage, but it'll be nice to see a QB sit for a year or two and what it looks like when you try to develop him. 

From what I've read his upside is a back-up. Would love to be surprised.

Why? I have to be honest. I'm not really liking this draft. Grayson in the 3rd would have made more sense. OL in the 3rd or 4th would have made a lot of sense. Doesn't feel like we really helped ourselves the way we could have. Even the smith and Mauldin picks were reaches with better talent on the board at their respective positions. Petty was a wasted pick completely

I like 1&2 and kinda like 3, but we did ourselves no favors by not making it an objective to protect the substandard QB's we have. 

Picking a QB that many think will top out as a back-up with 4 would have been better used in getting a higher probability of success O lineman.

The QB's we have and will take into the season have enough deficiencies - they don't need to be running for their lives on top of it. 

Meh would've liked some oline help

You ask for Oline help in the fourth round but the irony of it all is since the OL you draft wont start right away you will ask for the same help the next year. To jog your memory the Jets drafted Dakota Dozier in the third round last year. There is your O line help!

I like 1&2 and kinda like 3, but we did ourselves no favors by not making it an objective to protect the substandard QB's we have. 

Picking a QB that many think will top out as a back-up with 4 would have been better used in getting a higher probability of success O lineman.

The QB's we have and will take into the season have enough deficiencies - they don't need to be running for their lives on top of it. 

Petty has got to be, at least, a better prospect than both McElroy and Tahj Boyd, right?

Sure. One fourth rounder never makes or breaks you. But bomb enough over a long enough period and it's definitely detrimental. Even Maccagnan said in his PC that a GM's most important responsibility is hitting on mid and late rounders.

100% agree.. At some point though we need to pick and develop a mid round QB, being in range to get a top guy is unlikely with the defense we are fielding

What a waste of a pick. Terrible qb. Outside of Mariota and Winston their was no one worth drafting.

atleast he has tremendous tools and Gunslinger mentality..  I'm okay with these things for a developmental type. we could of did a lot worse 

100% agree.. At some point though we need to pick and develop a mid round QB, being in range to get a top guy is unlikely with the defense we are fielding

I think the mid-late-round QB is kind of a myth. It doesn't really happen enough to justify using the pick. After the third you're playing the odds with quarterbacks, which are so much lower compared to everything else. FO did a study on this a year or two ago. After the third you're almost better off not even bothering. For the last 20 years it's like Bulger, Hasselbeck, and Brady and then Orton, Fitzpatrick and Garrard and then nothing.

I think the mid-late-round QB is kind of a myth. It doesn't really happen enough to justify using the pick. After the third you're playing the odds with quarterbacks, which are so much lower compared to everything else. FO did a study on this a year or two ago. After the third you're almost better off not even bothering. For the last 20 years it's like Bulger, Hasselbeck, and Brady and then Orton, Fitzpatrick and Garrard and then nothing.

Sauce

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/nfl-draft-round-round-quarterback-data

Petty has got to be, at least, a better prospect than both McElroy and Tahj Boyd, right?

I hope so dude - but haven't seen anybody "in the know" say that think he can be a long term starter. 

Big arm. Well spoken. Composed. Wins. Doesn't steal crab legs and isn't a mute. Only cost us a 4th. All I see is upside. With that said, can't wait til Simms gets his chance to shine and leads us to the AFC Championship. 

This tells me Fitzpatrick will be the starting QB this year. If they thought Geno was developing, you don't make this pick.  Just my opinion.

Nope, you don't know you have a starting QB until you have one. You need to keep picking until someone steps up and that won't be Fitzy, Geno is our day 1 starter. 

I find it funny that you bash Mariota hard, but love Petty. Do you honestly just evaluate qbs on how hard they can throw the ball? You must've loved Jamarcus Russel.

If you give me Mariota in the fifth round, I like Mariota

Archived