Welcome Bryce Petty!!

JetBlue

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a Petty fan either. Good OL on the board and we took a dude whose ceiling is being a decent backup.

Many of the same "good" offensive linemen will be on the board in the 5th. And if you thought we were getting a franchise QB in the 4th round I have a bridge to sell you. This was for depth and competition. Both are needed and absolutely worthwhile for THE key position on the team.

Many of the same "good" offensive linemen will be on the board in the 5th. And if you thought we were getting a franchise QB in the 4th round I have a bridge to sell you. This was for depth and competition. Both are needed and absolutely worthwhile for THE key position on the team.

I was specifically referring to Clemmings and Jackson. They're both gone.

Of course you do. Just a dumb comment. Jets are adding depth and competition at the QB position, says nothing whatsoever on who will start as they drafted a deep developmental pick in the fourth round.

If you don't agree fine. But don't be a jerk.

I'm lucky because I know very little about him.  So I can get excited before I find out he is no good.  I'm nearsighted so that is the same reason I never wore my glasses when I went out to meet woman.

Come on brother ... They would have protected you when the chicks tossed their drinks in your face!!!

IMO, Geno is still the favorite to be the opening day starter - on a short leash with Fitzpatrick waiting in the wings

This is kind of what scares me most. I sincerely hope they at least make it a competition and not the farces that we had with Geno/Sanchez and Geno/Vick. No more handing this dude sh*t.

As far as developmental guys in the 4th, Petty is a great pick. Need to draft a QB every year between rounds 3-7 until you find on that sticks. You can check all the boxes on him:

- Good size

- Good arm

- Athletic 

- Smart 

- Great work ethic

- High Character

He has the exact same flaws/concerns as Mariota but only cost us a mid-rounder. Low risk, high reward.

Guys on NFL Network said Cleveland called Jags late to offer trade ... But the Jags had already agreed to deal with Jets & stuck to their word ... I'd bet Cleveland tried to offer more value than what we'd done, with a comment like that

Lovin our new GM!

This is kind of what scares me most. I sincerely hope they at least make it a competition and not the farces that we had with Geno/Sanchez and Geno/Vick. No more handing this dude sh*t.

Fitzpatrick may be hard to beat out for Geno.  Fitz is a smart QB who has familiarity with Chan Gailey's offense. It all depends on how Geno progresses.

IMO, Geno is still the favorite to be the opening day starter - on a short leash with Fitzpatrick waiting in the wings, but starting. With two QBs ahead of him, Petty gets all year to sit, watch, and learn. 

I think Fitz is the favorite to be opening day starter.   if for no other reason than to teach Geno some humility.   As down as I've been on Geno I'm cautiously optimistic that it was more a Rex / MM issue.   I was listening to Jim MIller on NFL Radio as he was talking about Gailey's approach with Kordell Stewart and how he basically taught him the game.   I'm hopeful he can do the same with Geno.  

Guys on NFL Network said Cleveland called Jags late to offer trade ... But the Jags had already agreed to deal with Jets & stuck to their word ... I'd bet Cleveland tried to offer more value than what we'd done, with a comment like that

Lovin our new GM!

He certainly knows how to maneuver around the draft!

I think Fitz is the favorite to be opening day starter.   if for no other reason than to teach Geno some humility.   As down as I've been on Geno I'm cautiously optimistic that it was more a Rex / MM issue.   I was listening to Jim MIller on NFL Radio as he was talking about Gailey's approach with Kordell Stewart and how he basically taught him the game.   I'm hopeful he can do the same with Geno.  

I think Fitz is probable good for young QBs, he is very cerebral and has good work habits.  My impression is that Geno, and for that matter Bryce Petty, should be benefit.

There is a "60 Minutes' Nick Saban story where they interviewed McCarron with the Bama strength coach and they explained how his squat went from 250 to 600. Geno Smith doesn't work hard at all.

I don't know what McCarron squats but I find the idea of Alabama's strength coach explaining anything highly unlikely.

Geno was benched last year, and returned a better player. I don't think he needs the humility lesson. I expect an open competition, but one that's all up to Geno. He's much more athletic than Fitz, with a much higher ceiling. If he can demonstrate that he's learned to protect the football, I expect him to start. 

I don't love it, either, but that's my feeling. 

I think it's worth it taking a shot on a QB, sure. But I'm not so sure his ceiling is high enough to warrant passing on all the OL that was there at that point. The grade disparity was a little too high.

And don't we have about a dozen or so O-linemen on our roster now? Perhaps the CS isn't quite as worried about that position as we are, or at least are more worried about the most important one--QB.

And don't we have about a dozen or so O-linemen on our roster now? Perhaps the CS isn't quite as worried about that position as we are, or at least are more worried about the most important one--QB.

Thank you. I did not consider that quarterback is probably a high priority for a team that does not have one.

I think all it tells you is that they're ambivalent, and waiting until the 4th to take a QB tells you they thought the same about the entire QB class this year. I think they might've wanted one of the guys who flew off the board between where they started yesterday, and where they traded down to. This could be a consolation prize. They announced a while back that they wanted to add a QB. 

IMO, Geno is still the favorite to be the opening day starter - on a short leash with Fitzpatrick waiting in the wings, but starting. With two QBs ahead of him, Petty gets all year to sit, watch, and learn.

Your point about waiting until the 4th round is valid. That being said, Petty will definitely have the benefit of learning from the bench during year 1 but if he develops the way I think he can, he will push for the starting job in year 2. As far as this year goes, I think that Fitz will be the starter. I can't believe that a new coach and GM are going to hang their hat on a very shaky 3rd year starter as opposed to a competent, proven veteran. And i know that there are some that will say "what has Fitz proven?" And to that I will simply say this - he's proven that he's a much better and reliable NFL QB than Geno Smith. If you couldn't tell, the bloom is off the rose for me with Geno Smith.

Bowles said in one of his press conferences we would get a 4th QB, well here he is.

I like what I saw of him at Baylor and he fits the spread type of offense Gailey will

be implementing. The best thing about the pick is we will sit him for at least a year

and allow him to learn how to be an NFL QB. Something that was totally lost on

our former coach

IMO the problem that I had with Rex is he did the same thing with Sanchez and Geno, that is starting those guys to soon.

However I'm of a mind to believe, based on what I've heard, that Geno is going to dramatically improve this year and unlike previous GMs here he has better talent not worst talent around him than the preceding year!!!

Thanks to a competent GM finally!!

Your point about waiting until the 4th round is valid. That being said, Petty will definitely have the benefit of learning from the bench during year 1 but if he develops the way I think he can, he will push for the starting job in year 2. As far as this year goes, I think that Fitz will be the starter. I can't believe that a new coach and GM are going to hang their hat on a very shaky 3rd year starter as opposed to a competent, proven veteran. And i know that there are some that will say "what has Fitz proven?" And to that I will simply say this - he's proven that he's a much better and reliable NFL QB than Geno Smith. If you couldn't tell, the bloom is off the rose for me with Geno Smith.

There's no one -me, included- who wouldn't like to move on from Geno Smith to a better QB. I'm just not sure that Fitz is it. I also think they'd prefer to open the season with Geno and pull the plug if they have to, than open the season with Fitz and be in a position where they have to bench him for Geno. They have no ties to Geno, but I don't think they'll want to dump him prematurely. That may (will?) be the end result, but I expect them to give him a long look in person, first. 

Thank you. I did not consider that quarterback is probably a high priority for a team that does not have one.

No problem! Call me Captain Obvious! :winking0001:

Yeah, I realize that sounded a bit condescending. Not my intention. Sorry. Just wanted to contribute something. :animal0029:

Philosophically I agree. Was just never a big Petty fan.

I'm lukewarm on the prospect, but it's the 4th round so I have no problem with the concept. we just went 0-3 in the 4th last year :)

I'm lukewarm on the prospect, but it's the 4th round so I have no problem with the concept. we just went 0-3 in the 4th last year :)

Sure. One fourth rounder never makes or breaks you. But bomb enough over a long enough period and it's definitely detrimental. Even Maccagnan said in his PC that a GM's most important responsibility is hitting on mid and late rounders.

Petty was a wildcard in this draft. no one was really consistent as to where he would go. Many even had him as a reach to go late round 1 even.  This is a great value pick at round 4.  I am loving this GM's moves.   

What do you mean?  I said they are either unsure if Geno will show improvement, or they have moved on.  I say they may be  unsure because it's so early.  Geno looked pretty good last year up until the end of the second quarter of the Packers game. I am rooting for Geno but it's nice having Fitz there.  I am a big fan of the actual competition there will be this year, and the fact that Petty can learn from Gailey.

Sorry I misunderstood your post; carry on.

Archived