Welcome Bryce Petty!!

JetBlue

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you're reading into that whole timezone mix-up thing too much. I think that it was only some bullsh*t excuse that Geno made up when he either 1) simply forgot about the meeting or 2) didn't care about showing up on time.

I'm not trying to attack you, or disagree with you that Geno may be a slouch and/or douche, I just wanted to say that I don't believe his excuse was the actual truth.

Either way, Powpow's idiot description is not idiotic.

Geno was benched last year, and returned a better player. I don't think he needs the humility lesson. I expect an open competition, but one that's all up to Geno. He's much more athletic than Fitz, with a much higher ceiling. If he can demonstrate that he's learned to protect the football, I expect him to start.

I don't love it, either, but that's my feeling.

It's posts like this that make me feel guilty about all my hatin' on Geno.

I think the first thing I want to see from Geno is accuracy improvement on all the throws. If I'm not seeing that early, I'll quickly lose my patience.

The best help that was gotten for Geno this year, was Chan Gailey. Too many of you are ready to throw Geno out with the camp fodder. Coach Gailey has worked wonders with other QB's with much less talent and potential then Geno possesses right now, including the guy Fritz, most of you think should start in front of him. An if most of you recall Fritz wasn't all that before Chan and not much more after he got the big contact and money after him.

To the joker who called Geno an idiot, no player gets to be a starting QB in the NFL for any length of time without a decent amount of intelligence. From all the staffs that have worked with Geno, all have commented that he is a very smart kid. Don't forget he has had to learn a new offense almost every year he as been a pro. He was also thrown to the wolves long before he was ready to start which certainly effects a young QB. Especially one coming from a spread offense to a pro style offense.

Don't get me wrong, like all Jets fans during Geno's starts, I did more then my fair share of head scratching and cursing as any one. Yet, in between some of those bonehead games there were games that if you weren't blinded by the many bad ones, that showed hope and promise. The last game against the Fins is a clear example of the QB he can be.

What we should all hope to see this season under Chan's tutelage is a more confident player, better decision maker,a player more comfortable in the system he is playing in.

While most of you are hoping Fritz and eventually Petty will displace Geno, what you really should be hoping for is Geno finally getting it and not allowing either the vet or the rookie any playing time because he's become to good to replace.

It is my belief that we already have our starting QB on the roster and I know I am I'm in the minority. Yet,with all the parts that have been this off season I believe Geno is going to step up finally this season.

The best help that was gotten for Geno this year, was Chan Gailey. Too many of you are ready to throw Geno out with the camp fodder. Coach Gailey has worked wonders with other QB's with much less talent and potential then Geno possesses right now, including the guy Fritz, most of you think should start in front of him. An if most of you recall Fritz wasn't all that before Chan and not much more after he got the big contact and money after him.

To the joker who called Geno an idiot, no player gets to be a starting QB in the NFL for any length of time without a decent amount of intelligence. From all the staffs that have worked with Geno, all have commented that he is a very smart kid. Don't forget he has had to learn a new offense almost every year he as been a pro. He was also thrown to the wolves long before he was ready to start which certainly effects a young QB. Especially one coming from a spread offense to a pro style offense.

Don't get me wrong, like all Jets fans during Geno's starts, I did more then my fair share of head scratching and cursing as any one. Yet, in between some of those bonehead games there were games that if you weren't blinded by the many bad ones, that showed hope and promise. The last game against the Fins is a clear example of the QB he can be.

What we should all hope to see this season under Chan's tutelage is a more confident player, better decision maker,a player more comfortable in the system he is playing in.

While most of you are hoping Fritz and eventually Petty will displace Geno, what you really should be hoping for is Geno finally getting it and not allowing either the vet or the rookie any playing time because he's become to good to replace.

It is my belief that we already have our starting QB on the roster and I know I am I'm in the minority. Yet,with all the parts that have been this off season I believe Geno is going to step up finally this season.

What good is coaching if he has potato salad in between his ears?

Can't wait for petty to take over!

Awesome pick and draft!

1. LW

2. DS

3. LW + Posey

4. BP

5. JH + Marshal

7. DS + Stacy

How did we get so many players even while losing our 6th

In macc I trust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For all u clown looking to complain about something

Lucy only charges 5c

Who is Fritz?

Yea I don't really agree with this pick... I didn't see the value in it but I also didn't understand why we traded back in round 3. I had higher hopes for rounds 3 + 4. I thought Jaelen Strong would have been a great value pick in round 3 especially knowing that marshall is going to be hitting a decline probably after this year..

Macagnan is hedging his bets at qb. Petty did look good at the combine. I don't think he will be a good pro but I'd take petty in the 4th over mariota in the first any day and Stacy was basically our 7th rd pick

You are not alone my friend. 

If there's a 5% your QB becomes a starter (which approximately matches RJF's numbers), vs. a 50% (?) chance your olineman becomes a starter - which do you pick?  There's probably no right answer.

If those % are accurate you probably take the OL.  But there's a lot of factors you ignore with that simple an analysis.  A decent starting RT or guard is not anywhere close to the value of a middle of the pack starting QB.  You can win a Super Bowl with the latter if he proves to have enough upside to make a run in the playoffs (like a Flacco).

Before you know it the GENO ERA ( yuck) will be history. I will not remember it well. 

Double yuck.

Petty's pick helps expedite that process, another positive to this selection.  New regimes always mean new QB's.  We now have 2 of them, Fitz and Petty. 

Geno will start the year as Fitzmagic's backup and be phased out of snaps in practice as Petty progresses.  He will then be safely cut after the season is over, when we pick up another QB or 2.  Hopefully Brees/Rivers/1st round stud.

You are not alone my friend. 

i think most jet fans believe geno will play better this year than he did in his 1st 2 seasons.  he has better weapons, more experience and a system that arguably plays to his strengths.  that said, this doesn't mean he'll be good, or that in a year, that he'll be better than petty.  just based on measurables and scouting, petty seems to be the better prospect coming out of college, he's a bit taller, sturdier, throws a better ball, throws with touch and accuracy, among other things.  so while we'll all root for geno to improve this year and with this defense, marshall and devin smith, maybe they can make a run for the playoffs, the odds are he won't turn the corner and become even the average nfl qb we all hope he can be.  

Can't wait for petty to take over!

Awesome pick and draft!

1. LW

2. DS

3. LW + Posey

4. BP

5. JH + Marshal

7. DS + Stacy

How did we get so many players even while losing our 6th

In macc I trust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For all u clown looking to complain about something

Lucy only charges 5c

Amen to that.  Awesome job. 

i think most jet fans believe geno will play better this year than he did in his 1st 2 seasons.  he has better weapons, more experience and a system that arguably plays to his strengths.  that said, this doesn't mean he'll be good, or that in a year, that he'll be better than petty.  just based on measurables and scouting, petty seems to be the better prospect coming out of college, he's a bit taller, sturdier, throws a better ball, throws with touch and accuracy, among other things.  so while we'll all root for geno to improve this year and with this defense, marshall and devin smith, maybe they can make a run for the playoffs, the odds are he won't turn the corner and become even the average nfl qb we all hope he can be.  

That is why they took Petty so that in a year, if your analysis of Geno is correct, he can legitimately compete for the starting job. Of course there is no guarantee that he will be anything other than average himself.  I truly hope that is not the case.  

What good is coaching if he has potato salad in between his ears?

piedmont737, on 03 May 2015 - 3:42 PM, said:snapback.png

There is a good chance Smith is not on the opening day roster. Not excellent, but good.

I'll tell you what.....this is my same sentiment. But thank you for having the 'gaul' to state it.  It just seems to follow suit with Mac's moves and persona.  Smith is a lingering, putrid odor of the previous regime that has been symbolic of their ineptitude.  What stronger statement for Mac to make than rid this organization of this petulant wannabe. 

How can you come to that conclusion?  They went on record as saying they wanted to add another quarterback for competition.  Odds are that Geno beats out Fitz if it's close.  Petty sits unless he is lights out in camp and that probably still won't be enough.  Best case scenerio is Geno is decent this year, Petty is ready to step in next year and we can trade Geno for picks. 

They can trade Geno for picks next year?   Yes I can see that happening, teams would probably offer an 8th and 9th rounder.

If those % are accurate you probably take the OL.  But there's a lot of factors you ignore with that simple an analysis.  A decent starting RT or guard is not anywhere close to the value of a middle of the pack starting QB.  You can win a Super Bowl with the latter if he proves to have enough upside to make a run in the playoffs (like a Flacco).

But that's the whole point.  We definitely left better players on the board to take a QB with lots of question marks - in fact one who's quite unlikely to succeed.  But that's not necessarily illogical.  See picks 1 and 2 in this draft - you have to take the possible franchise QB, even if there are better players available.

Anyway, I think you're saying the same thing I was - maybe I just didn't say it well enough.

100% agree.. At some point though we need to pick and develop a mid round QB, being in range to get a top guy is unlikely with the defense we are fielding

Its a win win with a 4th pick. Mac is doing exactly what Seattle has done until it hit on Russell who was projected as a back up. They brought in Flynn, Jackson, traded for Whitehurst and drafted Russell.  You keep trying until you hit it.

They can trade Geno for picks next year?   Yes I can see that happening, teams would probably offer an 8th and 9th rounder.

If Geno plays well next year I hope you will be okay with that.  I would hate to read about you jumping off a bridge or something.... 

Think Winston is the best QB in this draft right now.  His bad decisions may keep him from achieving that.  After Winston I think Mariota, and Petty are tied for the next best chance to be a franchise player.  Mariota gets a lot more hype because of his running ability.

IMO, down the road, Petty will be the best QB  in this draft and be the Jets starting QB in 2016.   I don't want to see him anywhere near the field this year though 

if they really loved grayson or mannion they would have taken him, given the qb situation.  and gailey's offense is best suited for petty anyway.

Exactly. Screw those stiffs.  Petty has greater upside than either of those two.  He's got a better arm and is way more mobile.  I'm as giddy as Scrooge on Christmas morning.

Petty's pick helps expedite that process, another positive to this selection.  New regimes always mean new QB's.  We now have 2 of them, Fitz and Petty. 

Geno will start the year as Fitzmagic's backup and be phased out of snaps in practice as Petty progresses.  He will then be safely cut after the season is over, when we pick up another QB or 2.  Hopefully Brees/Rivers/1st round stud.

POTY

Exactly. Screw those stiffs.  Petty has greater upside than either of those two.  He's got a better arm and is way more mobile.  I'm as giddy as Scrooge on Christmas morning.

Wouldn't it be awesome if 3 years from now we are looking back at having taken the best qb from this draft?  Of course if Winston and Mariota both suck, that might not be saying much, lol.  

Either way, Powpow's idiot description is not idiotic.

The fact that this moron is still on this team is flabbergasting.  Why he was picked in the first place is ludicrous.  He sulked during the draft process and showed his true colors.  GM after GM passed on him, and this after he was at one time projected to be the #1 pick for months preceding the draft.  He made a spectacle of himself on an airline, missed a team meeting before a game where he was just AWFUL and offered up a lame excuse, was absolutely delusional in post game conferences, and even gave a fan the finger on national tv.  Obviously, Mac cant just get rid of this albatross right away given the lack of options currently at hand. But I wouldn't be in the least surprised if Smith is cast off before the season starts.  And without the shadow of a doubt, he will NOT be resigned after his contract runs out this year.       

How can you come to that conclusion?  They went on record as saying they wanted to add another quarterback for competition.  Odds are that Geno beats out Fitz if it's close.  Petty sits unless he is lights out in camp and that probably still won't be enough.  Best case scenerio is Geno is decent this year, Petty is ready to step in next year and we can trade Geno for picks. 

lol.  Geno ain't playing this year and will get cut. 

We didn't just bring in an expensive free agent class and draft the best player in the whole draft at a non-need position just so we can send Geno out there and hope he figures out what the game of football is actually about.  It'd be like handing a ferrari to a 12 year old.

If Geno plays well next year I hope you will be okay with that.  I would hate to read about you jumping off a bridge or something.... 

I would go with the or something. It leaves a lot... doesn't it?

What do you mean?  I said they are either unsure if Geno will show improvement, or they have moved on.  I say they may be  unsure because it's so early.  Geno looked pretty good last year up until the end of the second quarter of the Packers game. I am rooting for Geno but it's nice having Fitz there.  I am a big fan of the actual competition there will be this year, and the fact that Petty can learn from Gailey.

It's funny, that you think Petty can learn from Gailey and Geno can't? Last year he didn't have a true number 1; now he has a #1, a 2 and a bonafide deep threat.   I personally am rooting for Geno but if Fitz outplays him I have no problem with that.  

Archived