Good Bye Gino, we're glad to see you go !!!

ManCave Analyst

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I don't get the whole Fitz starts in '15 and Petty starts in '16 thing. I get it they hate Geno - Petty is at best a very unknown quantity.

Petty is an unknown quantity that the Jets will try to develop.  Fitz is a known commodity and a proven capable if not unspectacular NFL QB.  Geno is also a known quantity - a 2 year starter who has had a handful of decent games and a ton of crappy ones. The choice between Geno and Fitz is an easy one as far as I'm concerned, with Geno being an afterthought this year and yesterdays news next year.

Petty is an unknown quantity that the Jets will try to develop. Fitz is a known commodity and a proven capable if not unspectacular NFL QB. Geno is also a known quantity - a 2 year starter who has had a handful of decent games and a ton of crappy ones. The choice between Geno and Fitz is an easy one as far as I'm concerned, with Geno being an afterthought this year and yesterdays news next year.

Which again is an amateur hour way of approaching the situation. Guarantee you Geno starts week 1. The last thing the front office is going to do - is risk Geno looking good at end of the year in spot playing time. They'll want to put that one to bed in September. Sink or swim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a crazy reaction to a 4th round pick.

Geno will be the backup IMO, but it's ridiculous to assume drafting Petty means we've quit on him altogether.

Yep, it just means we've moved on from Simms as a developmental project.

Geno has peaked and he is not close to Fitzpatrick. I don't think people here understand how bad Geno has been the last two years.

How bad was he when he had two NFL WRs and not street FAs starting for him?

Still the worst in the league.

Read up the definition of an NFL WR. Either that or you checked out on the Jets halfway through the season. Either way, you're wrong.

Fitzpatrick will probably start if healthy, Gino will fill in and show progress, if any. When he plays expect more of the same, "REPEATED TURNOVERS". Let Petty sit and learn what a pro offense entails and work thru 1-4 progressions.  GREAT PICK, and Draft so far.

I don't want to say goodbye to Gino. His italian ices are much better than Marino's.

Fitzpatrick will probably start if healthy, Gino will fill in and show progress, if any. When he plays expect more of the same, "REPEATED TURNOVERS". Let Petty sit and learn what a pro offense entails and work thru 1-4 progressions.  GREAT PICK, and Draft so far.

He's been on the team for a couple seasons now and his first name is four letters.  How hard is it to spell properly?

Petty is an unknown quantity that the Jets will try to develop. Fitz is a known commodity and a proven capable if not unspectacular NFL QB. Geno is also a known quantity - a 2 year starter who has had a handful of decent games and a ton of crappy ones. The choice between Geno and Fitz is an easy one as far as I'm concerned, with Geno being an afterthought this year and yesterdays news next year.

The odds are better of Geno improving than of Petty ever being anything more than an average backup.

The odds are better of Geno improving than of Petty ever being anything more than an average backup.

I'll take that bet. Throughout school, when he did attend, Geno had a problem spelling his name. So, even though most men spell it "G I N O" his teachers allowed him to spell it like it sounds (phonics). He admits that this is a little embarrassing. And hoped most of you would understand. Apparently, not.

Geno has peaked and he is not close to Fitzpatrick. I don't think people here understand how bad Geno has been the last two years.

And you watched Fitz very closely last year , he's not the answer to any question other than - Who's the goofy looking smart QB with the beard. 

A Prayer:

Dear God,

Please let us Jets fans never be forced to suffer through even one more SNAP of "Gino" Smith under center as the quarterback of our beloved New York Jets.  Whatever it is, or whatever deal was made by whomever with the dark forces, please nullify that unholy pact this summer. We have had enough.

Amen and Amen.

You'd think after 2 years "fans" could at least spell Geno's name correctly. I'm predicting in 2 years we'll be seeing a Good Bye Brice We're Glad to See You Go thread.

This. Same was said when we drafted Geno about Sanchez.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Petty sucks almost as much as Geno. Guess this new admin. Picks some crappy players also. Just glad there's come in the later rounds.

Wow..I cant believe management didn't consult you or more likely flew you in for your well balanced solid opinion on QB talent at the college level and over rode you.

LOL Thank you, one of the best posts in the thread

Geno earned a chance and it will be a great QB competition, not ready to see anyone go yet

Agreed.....  Geno may just be ready to win 10 games.   Maybe not as I think it through. LOVE the kid but he doesnt respect the ball. 

Turnovers MUST stop.

Agreed.....  Geno may just be ready to win 10 games.   Maybe not as I think it through. LOVE the kid but he doesnt respect the ball. 

Turnovers MUST stop.

You can't turn the ball over on the bench, which is where this bum will be this year, hopefully.

I disagree.  In the modern day NFL, there are two kinds of QB's - good ones and bad ones.  The good ones come into the league and are instantly good, and with some good coaching, some go on to be great. The bad ones come into the league and are bad, no matter how much they are coached up.  Geno is a bad QB, and no amount of coaching is going to make him much better than he is right now.  Who was the last QB to be drafted over the last 10-15 years that came into the league and was TERRIBLE for two years and then all over a sudden turned it around and became a good, productive QB?  Not too many, if any.  There's plenty of QB's, however, that came into the league, were given an opportunity to start, played like crap for a few years, and then disappeared off the face of the earth. Geno Smith is going to be one of those QB's.  Look, I hope I'm wrong, and will be rooting as hard as anyone for Geno if he gets the starting nod this year, but my expectations for him are very low. 

Petty is an unknown commodity, and we will know what kind of QB he is after he gets his chance to start whenever that might be down the road.  If he never gets his chance, we'll have our answer too.

I disagree.  In the modern day NFL, there are two kinds of QB's - good ones and bad ones.  The good ones come into the league and are instantly good, and with some good coaching, some go on to be great. The bad ones come into the league and are bad, no matter how much they are coached up.  Geno is a bad QB, and no amount of coaching is going to make him much better than he is right now.  Who was the last QB to be drafted over the last 10-15 years that came into the league and was TERRIBLE for two years and then all over a sudden turned it around and became a good, productive QB?  Not too many, if any.  There's plenty of QB's, however, that came into the league, were given an opportunity to start, played like crap for a few years, and then disappeared off the face of the earth. Geno Smith is going to be one of those QB's.  Look, I hope I'm wrong, and will be rooting as hard as anyone for Geno if he gets the starting nod this year, but my expectations for him are very low. 

Petty is an unknown commodity, and we will know what kind of QB he is after he gets his chance to start whenever that might be down the road.  If he never gets his chance, we'll have our answer too.

How can he be an unknown commodity , according to your premise a QB is either instantly good or bad - so which one do you label Petty as. 

And as far as Geno goes, we'll see what he can do with real weapons for the first time and with a coaching staff that doesn't treat the pass as something you only do in desperation. 

Archived