Did Bryce Petty play in the same spread system as Robert Griffin?

Jetsbb

The list of mid-round QBs in recent years that came in, started from day one, and had very successful careers is a long one. But that's just because I wrote down "RUSSELL WILSON" 15,000 times.

Wilson also learned two totally different play books in college.

Yeah, if it wasn't for his knee RG3 could actually read an NFL defense. Your making a dumb generalization and haven't watched him play he makes Geno look like a mid-80's Marino as a passer.

The kids accuracy is complete sh*t now. If you actually watched the kid play, you'd understand that instead of making another dumb generalization about how a running qb can't read a defense.

If by figured out, you mean destroyed his knee, then yes the league figured out RG3. Seriously, do you idiots even watch these qbs play? He's a completely different player then he was his first year. 

I have to agree with this; just not the idiots part, ;-)

This year the Jets are more "ready made" then 2009..In 2009 The D front line and LB'ers were Ellis,Jenkins who would only play just 7 games total in 09-10, Pouha"Who many thought was a bust" UDFA Mike Devito,Marcus Murrell,The Ghost,Pace,Harris,Howard Green,BT and Marques Douglas.. On O we had no starting QB with Favre gone,RB TJ and 38 year old Tony Richardson main W/R's were Braylon and Cotch TE Keller. The O-line was to me the only thing that was better.. I just get tired of that ready made for the playoff stuff because before Favre they were 4-12 in 2007

Couldn't have said it better myself...that was a team that had a better O-line than this team, but that's it.  Across the board this is a far more talented roster.  Sit Petty...let him learn.

The kids accuracy is complete sh*t now. If you actually watched the kid play, you'd understand that instead of making another dumb generalization about how a running qb can't read a defense.

Sooooo... His knee has hurt his accuracy and that's why Johnny Manziel after an all night coke and alcohol bender in Vegas is a better passer at this point.

Funny how bad knees didn't stop Namath, Brady Etc. From being accurate.

RG3 sucks because he's not good. His bum knee is the least of his problems.

Robert Griffin started and played great his rookie year so was he in the same system as Bryce Petty? If so I don't see why he cant play day 1 like Sanchez and Geno did.

Yes, but many implying (Gailey at senior Bowl I think) that Petty showed great Football IQ and picked up on Jet schemes Gailey gave him as test and went thru progressions nicely.. 

Sooooo... His knee has hurt his accuracy and that's why Johnny Manziel after an all night coke and alcohol bender in Vegas is a better passer at this point.

Funny how bad knees didn't stop Namath, Brady Etc. From being accurate.

RG3 sucks because he's not good. His bum knee is the least of his problems.

I didn't realize those guys you listed shredded every ligament in their knees, by the time they were a rookie.

I didn't realize those guys you listed shredded every ligament in their knees, by the time they were a rookie.

You sound really ridiculous making excuses for Griffin. He has a terrible attitude and can't read NFL defenses but yeah his knee.

I guess your upset bc you think I'm implying Petty has a similar nfl fate. Not true I would take petty over RG3. All I'm saying is one read qb's don't have a great track record in the nfl

I'm not really sold on Petty, I thought this was a draft to just avoid getting a QB because all of them have questions.  He has arm talent, and throws a very catch-able deep pass, but put him under pressure and he wilts incredibly bad.  I saw two games with him, and any time there was even a hint of pressure, all he seemed to do was toss the ball up high in the air and hope someone ran under it.  Almost always a go route one on one match, but this was built into the offense.  If there is a ton of pressure, throw it where you think your WR can make a play on it, but if you have to over throw him, don't under throw him.  That won't be happening in the NFL and he looked horrible at the Senior Bowl as well.  

He's a project that needs to rework the way he assess a play, and makes reads.  Atleast 1 solid year of sitting with him.  

Well that was a given when he was drafted so what is your issue? The only player in this draft that could legitimately start this year in a fair and open competition is Winston.   The bottom line is that within a year or perhaps two, we will have a young qb with a great arm ready to compete for the starting nod.  

You sound really ridiculous making excuses for Griffin. He has a terrible attitude and can't read NFL defenses but yeah his knee.

I guess your upset bc you think I'm implying Petty has a similar nfl fate. Not true I would take petty over RG3. All I'm saying is one read qb's don't have a great track record in the nfl

Considering where Petty was drafted I don't know how anyone can possibly complain about the pick.  

Well that was a given when he was drafted so what is your issue? The only player in this draft that could legitimately start this year in a fair and open competition is Winston.   The bottom line is that within a year or perhaps two, we will have a young qb with a great arm ready to compete for the starting nod.  

Well, the one year of sitting doesn't really mean he would be good enough to start though, because that's still a long shot.  He has a strong arm, and he can run a bit, but that's about all we can glean right now from his college tape.  We don't know how he can handle less shotgun, tighter windows, reading defenses unless we actually implement a college spread system (with at the line play calling).   

I would've rather taken a shot at other guys there such as TJ Clemmings, Rashad Greene, Justin Hardy, Ipre-Olomu,  or Jay Ajayi.  Ofcourse, I could be wrong in my feelings about Petty, and hopefully at this point I hope I am, but it just wasn't a pick that I thought was worth it.  

I would've rather taken a shot at other guys there such as TJ Clemmings, Rashad Greene, Justin Hardy, Ipre-Olomu,  or Jay Ajayi.  Ofcourse, I could be wrong in my feelings about Petty, and hopefully at this point I hope I am, but it just wasn't a pick that I thought was worth it.  

Had we really wanted Ajayi or Ikpre-Olomu, we could have gotten either later in the draft.  I don't think Petty was going to fall to the 6th like Ajayi did or the 7th like Ikpre-Olomu.  

And I'm not sure how we could possibly justify drafting Hardy or Greene after having taken Smith earlier.  I love the BPA strategy but in the later rounds it more or less becomes BPA....within reason.  Taking another WR there would have been similar to the 1996 draft when we took Keyshawn # 1.....then doubled up on WR in the 2nd round by taking Alex Van Dyke.  Kinda dumb and unnecessary.  It was questioned heavily at the time and history ended up on the right side of that criticism.

That just leaves TJ Clemmings.  A lot of people wanted us to go OL in the 4th so I can understand that preference.  The rest not so much.  

Well, the one year of sitting doesn't really mean he would be good enough to start though, because that's still a long shot.  He has a strong arm, and he can run a bit, but that's about all we can glean right now from his college tape.  We don't know how he can handle less shotgun, tighter windows, reading defenses unless we actually implement a college spread system (with at the line play calling).   

I understand the Clemmings argument as well but a quarterback at that stage was more valuable and Petty was considered by many the best pure passer in the draft.  In addition, we traded for a receiver in Posey and if we wanted another one could have taken Tre McBride who fell all the way to the 7th.  Stacy made Ajayi unnecessary and we already have our version of Ipre-Olomu; his name is Dexter McDougal.   We still have last years wide outs as well in Evans and Enunwa.  

Had we really wanted Ajayi or Ikpre-Olomu, we could have gotten either later in the draft.  I don't think Petty was going to fall to the 6th like Ajayi did or the 7th like Ikpre-Olomu.  

And I'm not sure how we could possibly justify drafting Hardy or Greene after having taken Smith earlier.  I love the BPA strategy but in the later rounds it more or less becomes BPA....within reason.  Taking another WR there would have been similar to the 1996 draft when we took Keyshawn # 1.....then doubled up on WR in the 2nd round by taking Alex Van Dyke.  Kinda dumb and unnecessary.  It was questioned heavily at the time and history ended up on the right side of that criticism.

That just leaves TJ Clemmings.  A lot of people wanted us to go OL in the 4th so I can understand that preference.  The rest not so much.  

They were both great steals though.  Ajayi is a great fit for Miami, and I would much rather have him than Stacy/Petty.  The Browns move for Olomu is probably my favorite move in the entire draft.  They got a borderline first round talent on a red shirt year at worst, in the 7th, at a premium position at that.  Both of those moves would be great for us, IMO.   They didn't want them ofcourse, and preferred Petty over him, but that's what I'm arguing against.  I would've picked those two over Petty if it was up to me.  

For Hardy or Greene, I would happily wave goodbye to Enunwa/Graham/Owusu, etc.  Both of these guys could contribute year 1, give us injury protection, and are not only talented, but productive in college.  I think the Jags double dipped last year with Robinson/Lee, worked out fine for them.  The Packers did it last year too, but I believe Abbederris got injured in camp.  If there is value, then I don't see anything wrong with making the pick.  Obviously, if the pick doesn't work out, then it was a bad pick, but we can say that for any prospect that doesn't work out regardless of position.  I don't think the philosophy is wrong, as long as you can make the right pick.  

I understand the Clemmings argument as well but a quarterback at that stage was more valuable and Petty was considered by many the best pure passer in the draft.  In addition, we traded for a receiver in Posey and if we wanted another one could have taken Tre McBride who fell all the way to the 7th.  Stacy made Ajayi unnecessary and we already have our version of Ipre-Olomu; his name is Dexter McDougal.   We still have last years wide outs as well in Evans and Enunwa.  

I think Greene is definitely on another level than Evans/Enunwa though.  Every time I watched Winston, he was always the one that jumped out, even last year when Benjamin was on the team, it was still Greene who seemed to always be open or make a big play.  He reminds me a lot of Landry from last year, a reliable guy that isn't going to develop into a No. 1, but can be a No. 2/3 option.  

Ipkre is way more talented than McDougle though, borderline first round pick, and a scheme fit in man to man coverage.  Mcdougle was considered a mid round pick, that we most likely reached on, and then got injured.  Ikpre most likely isn't doing much this year, but we don't need him this year, but next year he could've been some nice value.  It would allow us to move on from Cro or Skrine after a year or two, and have an in house replacement.  My conviction for Ikpre being a good starter is much higher than Petty becoming one.  

Don't get me wrong, I hope Petty works out too.  But I just think the odds are stacked against him.  I don't know how people can evaluate him in that system (for better or worse) but history hasn't been kind to these guys that come out of there with such a limited play calling history.  The interesting avenue would be if this is a call by Gailey, and that he's implementing a lot of the spread system we see in college, and not just the one we saw in Buffalo a few years ago.  I remember reading (or hearing somewhere) that Petty came in and said a lot of the concepts were similar, so that could give me hope for the pick since it's not as big of a transition.  

I think Greene is definitely on another level than Evans/Enunwa though.  Every time I watched Winston, he was always the one that jumped out, even last year when Benjamin was on the team, it was still Greene who seemed to always be open or make a big play.  He reminds me a lot of Landry from last year, a reliable guy that isn't going to develop into a No. 1, but can be a No. 2/3 option.  

Ipkre is way more talented than McDougle though, borderline first round pick, and a scheme fit in man to man coverage.  Mcdougle was considered a mid round pick, that we most likely reached on, and then got injured.  Ikpre most likely isn't doing much this year, but we don't need him this year, but next year he could've been some nice value.  It would allow us to move on from Cro or Skrine after a year or two, and have an in house replacement.  My conviction for Ikpre being a good starter is much higher than Petty becoming one.  

Don't get me wrong, I hope Petty works out too.  But I just think the odds are stacked against him.  I don't know how people can evaluate him in that system (for better or worse) but history hasn't been kind to these guys that come out of there with such a limited play calling history.  The interesting avenue would be if this is a call by Gailey, and that he's implementing a lot of the spread system we see in college, and not just the one we saw in Buffalo a few years ago.  I remember reading (or hearing somewhere) that Petty came in and said a lot of the concepts were similar, so that could give me hope for the pick since it's not as big of a transition.  

That remains to be seen. Shaq and Enunwa both are talented receivers who didn't get to show what they are capable of.    McDougle was not a reach;  That kid would have gone higher had he not injured his shoulder.  He can flat out play and was considered a team leader on Maryland.  In fact, he was well on his way to earning a spot as 2 or 3 corner when he got hurt in camp.  I know it is great to constantly look at players on other teams and as much as people hate on Idzik, not all of his picks were bad; they just ran into hard luck (Shaq and McDougle getting injured).    

Petty doesn't have any more odds stacked against him then Mariota or Hundley.   He has absolutely no pressure on him to perform right away.  He is one of the smartest and hard working players in this draft and I think in a year or two will be considered a steal in the 4th round.  He has arm talent that you can't teach. 

That remains to be seen. Shaq and Enunwa both are talented receivers who didn't get to show what they are capable of.    McDougle was not a reach;  That kid would have gone higher had he not injured his shoulder.  He can flat out play and was considered a team leader on Maryland.  In fact, he was well on his way to earning a spot as 2 or 3 corner when he got hurt in camp.  I know it is great to constantly look at players on other teams and as much as people hate on Idzik, not all of his picks were bad; they just ran into hard luck (Shaq and McDougle getting injured).    

Petty doesn't have any more odds stacked against him then Mariota or Hundley.   He has absolutely no pressure on him to perform right away.  He is one of the smartest and hard working players in this draft and I think in a year or two will be considered a steal in the 4th round.  He has arm talent that you can't teach. 

Evans is intriguing but also raw, and Enunwa basically showed nothing last year.  We had absolute losers running around on our roster, and he didn't crack that lineup.  McDougle was a mid round prospect by pretty much every publication, and then he got injured after being picked as well.  Even if he recovers, it doesn't effect Ikpre this year, since he would be red-shirting, and we can see where we stand next year at the position.  It's essentially a trade, would you trade say a 5th rd pick for a 2nd rd pick next year?  I would.   I don't blame Idzik for making picks that made sense, as the line of thinking was clear.  I don't blame him for picking Geno when he did, because his reasoning was sound there, and the value was good.   But I do blame the guy for missing on the biggest WR draft in possibly history, and he came away with nothing to show for it, other than hoping Evans makes the roster his second year.  If you are going to give McDougle credit for looking good in camp, then you also have to take away credit from Evans because he was looking horrible until his injury as well.  Both Greene (for sure) and Hardy (possibly) would be ahead of Evans on the roster depth chart right now, and I think it's a position we could use more depth.  

I believed this was a 2 QB draft, after the first two, I was perfectly fine ignoring the QB position in this draft.  Mariota has system concerns as well, but he's also a better athlete and a better passer than Petty.  But he also has concerns with his game transitioning.  I didn't care much for Hundley either, was hoping someone would pick him high so another good player could slide to us.  

Evans is intriguing but also raw, and Enunwa basically showed nothing last year.  We had absolute losers running around on our roster, and he didn't crack that lineup.  McDougle was a mid round prospect by pretty much every publication, and then he got injured after being picked as well.  Even if he recovers, it doesn't effect Ikpre this year, since he would be red-shirting, and we can see where we stand next year at the position.  It's essentially a trade, would you trade say a 5th rd pick for a 2nd rd pick next year?  I would.   I don't blame Idzik for making picks that made sense, as the line of thinking was clear.  I don't blame him for picking Geno when he did, because his reasoning was sound there, and the value was good.   But I do blame the guy for missing on the biggest WR draft in possibly history, and he came away with nothing to show for it, other than hoping Evans makes the roster his second year.  If you are going to give McDougle credit for looking good in camp, then you also have to take away credit from Evans because he was looking horrible until his injury as well.  Both Greene (for sure) and Hardy (possibly) would be ahead of Evans on the roster depth chart right now, and I think it's a position we could use more depth.  

I believed this was a 2 QB draft, after the first two, I was perfectly fine ignoring the QB position in this draft.  Mariota has system concerns as well, but he's also a better athlete and a better passer than Petty.  But he also has concerns with his game transitioning.  I didn't care much for Hundley either, was hoping someone would pick him high so another good player could slide to us.  

Mariota is NOT a better passer than Petty.  I personally think you have to give McDougle, Evans and Enunwa a mulligan for last year and let see what they do this year.  Evans missed all the OTAs and didn't play well, he also was playing hurt early in camp and never got untracked; he then suffered his season ending injury.

To say that Greene and Hardy would be ahead when they have never even been in an NFL camp is a bit presumptuous to me.  Part of our problem is an incredible lack of patience when dealing with young players.  I am prepared to see what Evans and Enunwa can do as both are very talented, have a great size/speed ratios both have a year in an NFL strength and conditioning program.   They also now have the benefit of learning from one of the best receivers in the league in Marshall. 

We can debate all night long, but I personally am very satisfied with how our team looks and look forward to training camp.  

God I hope Gailey is a good QB coach. I have absolutely no faith Geno will ever turn into a decent signal caller. But Petty might.

based on agressiviness of GM Mac I dont think a issue. I doubt (if Fitz leg healthy) Geno even on roster by Sept 13th

This year the Jets are more "ready made" then 2009..In 2009 The D front line and LB'ers were Ellis,Jenkins who would only play just 7 games total in 09-10, Pouha"Who many thought was a bust" UDFA Mike Devito,Marcus Murrell,The Ghost,Pace,Harris,Howard Green,BT and Marques Douglas.. On O we had no starting QB with Favre gone,RB TJ and 38 year old Tony Richardson main W/R's were Braylon and Cotch TE Keller. The O-line was to me the only thing that was better.. I just get tired of that ready made for the playoff stuff because before Favre they were 4-12 in 2007

Ummmmm this 100000 TIMES!!!!

People keep acting as if we had Jerry Rice and Jim Brown on offense in 2009.  The offense was good the prior year because we a top 10 all time great manning the QB position, in Farve. The idea that a one year college player, whose own coach said wasn't ready for the NFL, was somehow going to make this as efficient an offense with that cast of characters was and is delusional.

Rex getting that team to the AFC Championship game was miraculous coaching, not based on overwhelming talent!!

Mariota is NOT a better passer than Petty.  I personally think you have to give McDougle, Evans and Enunwa a mulligan for last year and let see what they do this year.  Evans missed all the OTAs and didn't play well, he also was playing hurt early in camp and never got untracked; he then suffered his season ending injury.

To say that Greene and Hardy would be ahead when they have never even been in an NFL camp is a bit presumptuous to me.  Part of our problem is an incredible lack of patience when dealing with young players.  I am prepared to see what Evans and Enunwa can do as both are very talented, have a great size/speed ratios both have a year in an NFL strength and conditioning program.   They also now have the benefit of learning from one of the best receivers in the league in Marshall. 

We can debate all night long, but I personally am very satisfied with how our team looks and look forward to training camp.  

Mariota by almost all scouting reports is a better passer than Petty.  He looked horrible at the Senior Bowl, and many people who reviewed his tapes said he was missing wide open WRs, so his accuracy is in question, especially at the NFL level.  Does he have good traits? Sure, he has size, good arm, and a quick release.   Well I'm not saying, lets kick them off the team, I just think Greene is a better prospect than Evans and Enunwa, and the degree to which he is better would've made the pick worth it.  And Ikpre would've had no effect on McDougle for this year at all, which would've given us time to see where we stand with him, and then move on.  

Yeah, but it wasn't like Evans was going great at camp, and Enunwa couldn't crack our horrible WR corps either.  They both have talent, sure, but I also think there are guys like Owusu, Coleman, Graham and others have talent too.  Greene, to me is a better prospect than any of them, because he has good hands, excellent route running, and he could return punts/kicks as well.  

I'm happy with the team, and am looking forward to the season as well.  However, I think we could've had an even better draft if we made a couple of different moves in the later rounds, ala Greene or Ikpre.  

Archived