Detailed Look at Bryce Petty

JetBlue

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/5/3/8539157/bryce-petty-a-detailed-look-at-the-jets-newest-quarterback

usa-today-8319170.0.jpg

It's time to start looking at our draft picks in more detail, and today I'm going to start with former Baylor QB, Bryce Petty.

On January 27th, I wrote my scouting report on Bryce Petty of Baylor, within that report I came to the following conclusion:

I'm still very undecided on Petty and his pro potential. I see a lot of things on tape that I really don't like but then I see some things I love and I love his work ethic and you know the saying "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard". He has a steep learning curve for the NFL but a part of me really thinks he'll do it because he believes he can and he'll work his socks off for it. However I certainly don't think he's the best quarterback in the draft and I think he'll struggle early before finding his role. There are too many negatives for me to really buy into his NFL potential but write him off at your peril, if he lands with a good coach on a team willing to develop him, he could be very good.

From the moment we selected him in the 4th round, I've been studying tape on the former Baylor QB, in the hope that I'll be more convinced by his potential. I'm still very unsure about Petty, but after watching a number of interviews with him, if he doesn't succeed, it's not going to be through a lack of effort. He brings a fantastic attitude to the table and he's going to work his socks off to succeed.

Here are some issues that I picked up when watching.

Deep Ball Accuracy

I was watching the SMU tape to start off with and it struck me how inconsistent Petty was with his deep ball accuracy. He had 4 chances at long touchdown receptions to his receivers, he hit on one of them and missed on three. A 25% success rate didn't hurt Baylor against a poor SMU team, but it is something he'll need to clean up. In the NFL, you don't get 4 open chances a game, you get one, and when you get it, you better hit it.

Running Ability & Toughness

Petty isn't the fastest player you're ever going to see, but he has good athleticism for the position and he runs with authority and toughness. Put simply, he is a competitor who will take a hit if he has to, on occasions he takes hits you wouldn't want him to take but that's the price you pay when you run from the read option. Petty's decision making was excellent when running the read option, and he had a lot of success with it.

Baylor Offense - Simplified

It's hard to talk about Petty without mentioning the offense that he came from. The Art Briles offense is a simple one for a QB, mainly because the plays are called from the sideline, the QB has one read and it's all about fast players and a fast tempo. They spread their receivers out wide to create a very wide coverage responsibility area for the defense, as a result their players find themselves in man to man coverage. When the receivers are not getting behind defenders with ease, they are taking easy completions in the flat and turning it up-field.

As a result Bryce Petty is not asked to do too much. He has simple reads and simple throws, a lot of his completions come in the flats and 5-10 yards down field.

However, don't make the mistake of thinking that Bryce Petty doesn't have talent. He showcases a good arm and he can fit balls into tight windows. While he's not comfortable going through his progressions, he has done that in college and he's done it with success. However I'm not going to sit here and try and convince you that he throws most of his touchdowns to his 3rd read and into a tight window. The truth is, he throws the majority of his touchdowns to his first read who's wide open behind a defense who don't know how to handle the Art Briles air attack system. However, if you can score touchdowns by throwing to your first read who's wide open, why wouldn't you? He didn't have to go through his progressions all that much.

Arm Talent

Bryce Petty doesn't have the strongest arm in the NFL draft, but he has a strong enough arm to make all the throws. Even when throwing off his back foot, he gets enough velocity behind the ball to complete all the throws you would want from an NFL quarterback. I appreciate that so far it hasn't been a ringing endorsement for Petty, but he really does have a lot of talent and I wanted to showcase a few throws that I found really impressive.

What will the Jets need to work on with Petty?

The Jets will need to work with Petty on reading an NFL defense, that is the single most important aspect. If he ever wants to start in the NFL, he's going to need to know how to go through his reads, progress to his hot read if under pressure and recognize blitzes.

His footwork is OK when he gets through his motion. However he took his snaps exclusively from the shotgun, the Jets will need to work on his drop back, keeping his balance and being in the right position to deliver the throw.

Running a huddle. Like Mariota, Petty didn't really run a huddle at Baylor, mainly because he didn't have to. Baylor run an offensive play on average every 20 seconds, as a result, Petty is a rhythm guy. An NFL team won't run that fast, so he needs to know how to get the play from the sideline, communicate it clearly to his team and manage the clock effectively.

There is a lot of work to do with Petty, and if you are expecting him to be starting from year one, you're not being realistic. However with my extensive film study of him, I've seen enough to suggest he can learn to run a pro offense and he has the arm talent to do so.

I don't like these developmental big arm quarterbacks who rarely if ever work out.

Petty is not one of those guys. He shows touch and I've seen him come off his first read, go to his second and deliver the ball on time. He feels pressure in the pocket and climbs and slides. He shows an understanding of the game and he's been one of the most productive college quarterbacks in recent memory. There is a lot of work to be done, but to repeat my initial conclusion from January

If you get a spare 13 minutes, make sure you watch this video.

Write him off at your peril, if he lands with a good coach on a team willing to develop him, he could be very good.

Thanks for posting...Interesting video.

I'm excited about the kid.  He's a football player...He seems to have the athleticism to play the position question is does he have the head - and we will see.  He'll have to time to learn pressure free and that's exciting.

I hope he's on the bench for two years....

A question / thought about the Petty one spot trade up.  The last I heard on that situation was that Cleveland had called Jacksonville to trade up, but the Jets had already made the 7th round pick to move up one spot offer that was accepted.  Thus, how did the Jets know to make this move?  Did they get a heads up from someone in Jacksonville or do they have a mole in the Cleveland organization?

Without reading, let me take a guess: He just needs some time holding a clipboard, and that is all that is stopping him from becoming great. A+ pick in the first. He's got it all, arm strength, poise, accuracy, grit, and he's a hard worker. Women will want him, and men will want to be him. As long as he holds a clipboard.

A question / thought about the Petty one spot trade up.  The last I heard on that situation was that Cleveland had called Jacksonville to trade up, but the Jets had already made the 7th round pick to move up one spot offer that was accepted.  Thus, how did the Jets know to make this move?  Did they get a heads up from someone in Jacksonville or do they have a mole in the Cleveland organization?

Heard the Jets got tipped off.  Makes a huge difference when your GM is highly respected in league circles.

Without reading, let me take a guess: He just needs some time holding a clipboard, and that is all that is stopping him from becoming great. A+ pick in the first. He's got it all, arm strength, poise, accuracy, grit, and he's a hard worker. Women will want him, and men will want to be him. As long as he holds a clipboard.

Not 100% fluff as the article does start out with:

I'm still very undecided on Petty and his pro potential. I see a lot of things on tape that I really don't like but then I see some things I love and I love his work ethic and you know the saying "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard". He has a steep learning curve for the NFL but a part of me really thinks he'll do it because he believes he can and he'll work his socks off for it. However I certainly don't think he's the best quarterback in the draft and I think he'll struggle early before finding his role. There are too many negatives for me to really buy into his NFL potential but write him off at your peril, if he lands with a good coach on a team willing to develop him, he could be very good.

Jags got offer and then shopped it to get a better one. Nothing necessarily secretive about it.

Maybe Petty himself?

So you're saying young players can't develop with coaching? Who died and crystal balled you?

I still don't see the article speaking about him as highly as you wanted to assume without clicking or reading.  Its actually a pretty good balanced article showing the upside and the negatives he is going to have to overcome.

Jags got offer and then shopped it to get a better one. Nothing necessarily secretive about it.

They couldn't get a better offer than a 7th rounder from the jets?  Last I heard is that the Jets made the offer, it was accepted and THEN Cleveland came in with an offer that was better but Jax had already accepted the jets offer.  Thus suggesting that the Jets knew something was up, otherwise no reason to trade up one spot.

Spoken like a man who's held a few clipboards in his day.

They couldn't get a better offer than a 7th rounder from the jets?  Last I heard is that the Jets made the offer, it was accepted and THEN Cleveland came in with an offer that was better but Jax had already accepted the jets offer.  Thus suggesting that the Jets knew something was up, otherwise no reason to trade up one spot.

these guys are pros; maybe they just thought the chances were high that other qb-needy teams would make move and figured worth a 7th to get their guy. everyone knew jets were taking a qb at some point. it could've been a defensive play.

don't think we're giving these guys enough credit for saying they "must've been" tipped off, when in reality it was a very logical move.

these guys are pros; maybe they just thought the chances were high that other qb-needy teams would make move and figured worth a 7th to get their guy. everyone knew jets were taking a qb at some point. it could've been a defensive play.

don't think we're giving these guys enough credit for saying they "must've been" tipped off, when in reality it was a very logical move.

It just does not fit to me that trade up of one spot.  Why not 2 or 3 or 4 or late in the 3rd if they were really concerned about it.  In any case we will probably never know the reality of it.

It just does not fit to me that trade up of one spot.  Why not 2 or 3 or 4 or late in the 3rd if they were really concerned about it.  In any case we will probably never know the reality of it.

probably will never know but if you're the jets and petty is right there, and whole league know you are probably gonna take him with next pick, not a huge gamble to give up the 7th to c*ckblock another team that might have a bright idea to leapfrog you.

Polian said on air, Jets werent willing to give up 'too much' and when he was there w/jags, Mac felt a lousy 7th rounder was worth it cause this was  spot where whole league knew Jets wanted a QB ands he blocked someone form trading up ahead of us. The master Polian said 'brilliant move' on air..

Petty is basically a lump of clay that has to be shaped into an NFL QB. Thankfully

we have a front office & coaching staff that knows this and has a specific plan to

develop him.  Fans that stupidly call for him to play this year unknowingly want

him to fail because he's not ready 

Well, the Jets are the only team that could offer the very next pick in the 4th.  IOW, Jax can still get the exact player they wanted to take.  Free money.  All the other deals involved risk that they wouldn't get who they wanted in the 4th.  (To understand said risk, see the deal the Jets made in the 3rd...   :) )

I also read the claim that Jax got the Jets offer first, and honored that, despite a "better" offer from CLE.  I agree that makes no sense...  It's probably nonsense.

Well, the Jets are the only team that could offer the very next pick in the 4th.  IOW, Jax can still get the exact player they wanted to take.  Free money.  All the other deals involved risk that they wouldn't get who they wanted in the 4th.  (To understand said risk, see the deal the Jets made in the 3rd...   :) )

I also read the claim that Jax got the Jets offer first, and honored that, despite a "better" offer from CLE.  I agree that makes no sense...  It's probably nonsense.

that's a good point. it was a totally free pick to jags to trade with jets. no risk, free pick. the other deals might've been "better" based on draft value chart, but also came with opportunity cost.

Petty is basically a lump of clay that has to be shaped into an NFL QB. Thankfully

we have a front office & coaching staff that knows this and has a specific plan to

develop him.  Fans that stupidly call for him to play this year unknowingly want

him to fail because he's not ready 

if you're going to draft a developmental qb, at least take someone who has good size, arm talent and works hard.  that's basically more than sanchez and geno had starting out.

Well the least costly spot to get ahead of the Jets is the spot directly above them. And the GMs talk and know what is going on.

How could our 7th be better than what other teams were offering to move up more than one slot? I'll bet Mac was tipped off by someone from another team ahead of us that Cleveland was looking to move up. Cleveland ' s roster is so atrocious that the only reason they would give up picks is to get a QB.

How could our 7th be better than what other teams were offering to move up more than one slot? I'll bet Mac was tipped off by someone from another team ahead of us that Cleveland was looking to move up. Cleveland ' s roster is so atrocious that the only reason they would give up picks is to get a QB.

read thshadow's post. No other team offered a 4th that was only one spot lower than the one jags were giving up. So yes, a 7th can "be better than what other teams were offering" based on that alone.

Our 4th rounder was better than anyone else's.

read thshadow's post. No other team offered a 4th that was only one spot lower than the one jags were giving up. So yes, a 7th can "be better than what other teams were offering" based on that alone.

Our 4th rounder was better than anyone else's.

of course.  The obvious went right over my head.  I just assumed that other teams were all offering their 4th plus a lot more than a 7th.  Duh.  Forgot about the importance of the placement of the 4th in the 1st place.  Brain fart.

Seems fair.

He's a developmental prospect with the physical gifts to play NFL QB, and a completely empty head that will need to be filled with "How to Play NFL QB" by an NFL QB Coach.

How well he takes the education and applies it to his on-field performance will determine his future fate as an NFL player.

Sounds about right to me.

Archived