The La'El Collins watch

Integrity28

La'El Collins meets with police on Monday

10371.jpg

LSU G/T La'El Collins met with Baton Rouge police for "more than an hour" on Monday.

Through a spokesman, the BRPD said it had "no new information to report," but confirmed Collins is not a suspect in the murder of his ex-girlfriend. "It went fine; we answered all their questions," Collins' attorney said. "The investigation is going to continue. La'el is now going to start making an effort to start getting his football career back on track." Teams won't compete to sign Collins until he's announced as 100 percent in the clear, but that could come some time this week.

If this kid is cleared of involvement in this horrific crime, then he'd be the icing on the cake for this excellent off-season. Imagine him joining the OL crowd. Can he play RT until it's time to replace Brick? Can Breno slide over to RG? How big of a coup would it be if we nabbed him on top of the rest of the FA/Draft haul?

He can rot in a sh*t-filled hell if he's involved.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoever signs him will be like getting an extra 1st rounder since that's where he was predicted to go, and at a discount too. I hope it's the Jets obviously, but he'll have his choice where he wants to play so we'll see.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Whoever signs him will be like getting an extra 1st rounder since that's where he was predicted to go, and at a discount too. I hope it's the Jets obviously, but he'll have his choice where he wants to play so we'll see.

Yup.

Hopefully the positive mojo swirling around our team, and the promise of maybe snapping right into a starting job, is enough to sway him.

This will be fascinating to watch IF he's cleared of any involvement in this murder.

He was a legitimate top 15 pick, what a coup if we could get him

Hell and up on the pats

I would think the Jets are one of the teams that could both use him and have the cap room to pay him.

Cap room is not a concern. He will get the max contract an undrafted FA can get according to the CBA. I think he's going to fight against the NFL to be redrafted. He will lose that battle, else it'll set a precedence for future UDFAs to come back for the redraft and you'll have a million players wanting to go through the draft again.

Wondered if signing too many UDFA's could hurt their chances to grab him...if so I'd have preferred they lay low with the signings to be able to offer him the most money and a legit chance to start.

I doubt he'll sign a FA contract. Is he eligible for 2016 draft?

He would have been eligible for the 2016 draft had he been selected in this year's draft, but never signed a contract with that team. In such a case, he would be eligible to re-enter the draft, but rule not allowed to selected by the same team that drafted him the previous year. Since he went undrafted this year, he is not eligible to re-enter the draft next year and he is subjected to the same UDFA salary slotting as everyone else.

Cap room isn't the issue.  They can only pay him the fixed UDFA rate, plus a piddling signing bonus.

His pittance of a salary might go further if he plays close to home... Why in H&ll did we not secure him with a 7th??! rather than waste it on another DT!!

Surprised somebody like Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder didn't already snatched him up.  Those two couldn't care less about public opinion and they could say they signed him when he wasn't considered a suspect and let him go if that were to change.

Wondered if signing too many UDFA's could hurt their chances to grab him...if so I'd have preferred they lay low with the signings to be able to offer him the most money and a legit chance to start.

Yeah I agree.....we've already signed a few guys from what I've read....I'd hold off on anymore signings now until La'el makes his decision in the hopes we can get him and give the best offer (or close to it) that's allowed.

It's gonna be real interesting to see who he chooses cause you have to believe every team in the league will be courting him. A 1st round pick at an undrafted FA price without having to use a pick? There's no risk all reward.

His pittance of a salary might go further if he plays close to home... Why in H&ll did we not secure him with a 7th??! rather than waste it on another DT!!

Normally I'd say hell no but based on the fact that the police, at that time, were saying he was not a suspect, the Jets absolutely should have taken a shot...at the same time, I understand that owners will be hesitant to sign off on that after what just happened with Aaron Hernandez.

Surprised somebody like Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder didn't already snatched him up.  Those two couldn't care less about public opinion and they could say they signed him when he wasn't considered a suspect and let him go if that were to change.

I am sure that there have been teams that have already contacted his agent regarding potential interested, but seeing as how he is still available, it appears that all parties are focusing on the police investigation and the clearing of his name before moving forward with signing a contract. For what it is worth, we may be a pretty attractive landing spot for La'el as he could easily walk in the door and into a starting spot a Guard...He may want to hold out for a team that is interested in him as a Tackle, and we would also be one of those teams, but given his UDFA status and his ability to fast track into free agency he will probably want to play as soon as possible.

I agree.  Any thoughts as to whether or not someone may have acted on his behalf?    Wonder why no mention of a DNA test to determine if any of his  (DNA) was found on the body.

Normally I'd say hell no but based on the fact that the police, at that time, were saying he was not a suspect, the Jets absolutely should have taken a shot...at the same time, I understand that owners will be hesitant to sign off on that after what just happened with Aaron Hernandez.

On top of the obvious horrendous PR hit that a team would take by drafting a player involved in a murder investigation, La'el Collins placed himself in this position by floating the rumor that if he was drafted by the end of the 3rd round he would not sign a contract with the team and re-enter the 2016 draft. If we had spent a 7th rounder on him, and he was true to his word, then we would be ineligible to re-draft him in 2016. The best opportunity to land Collins is right now as a UDFA.

Two words:  public relations.  I think Goodell got the word out to not touch this guy after all the recent domestic violence debacles.

Do you think teams have been instructed to not sign him until he is officially cleared?  Why can't they sign him now?  HE would be coming in for a fixed rate and the signing bonus will be very low.  He may want to fight for next years draft but if a team like the Jets came calling right now while he is being ignored by everyone then perhaps he will feel that need to sign and show everyone what they are missing. If it turns out we were involved then Woody looses pennies from his fortune.

Two words:  public relations.  I think Goodell got the word out to not touch this guy after all the recent domestic violence debacles.

Agreed! I made mention of this possibility as well in another thread!

Roger cannot afford another PR debacle like Rice, Hardy, Peterson and Hernandez.

On top of the obvious horrendous PR hit that a team would take by drafting a player involved in a murder investigation, La'el Collins placed himself in this position by floating the rumor that if he was drafted by the end of the 3rd round he would not sign a contract with the team and re-enter the 2016 draft. If we had spent a 7th rounder on him, and he was true to his word, then we would be ineligible to re-draft him in 2016. The best opportunity to land Collins is right now as a UDFA.

They never provided an update on that but he would have surely changed his position after finding out that wasn't an option.  I realize he didn't know that at the time, but if he's not allowed, by rule, to do what he said he would do, then he really wouldn't have much choice.  He could refuse to sign and try to force a trade but that wouldn't make a ton of sense since the rookie wage scale would prevent a bidding war.

Do you think teams have been instructed to not sign him until he is officially cleared?  Why can't they sign him now?  HE would be coming in for a fixed rate and the signing bonus will be very low.  He may want to fight for next years draft but if a team like the Jets came calling right now while he is being ignored by everyone then perhaps he will feel that need to sign and show everyone what they are missing. If it turns out we were involved then Woody looses pennies from his fortune.

I highly doubt that the league has instructed teams to wait until he is officially clear; they haven't done so in other free agency cases (see: Greg Hardy). I suspect that there is equal interest between NFL teams and La'el Collins himself to resolve this investigation as quickly as possible before proceeding with a contract. Collins is really not in any kind of a rush here given the fact that he is about to receive a UDFA contract from literally every team in the league if he is removed from this investigation entirely...

If I am a betting man Collins end up in New Orleans, the Saints did revamp that OL already, but I am pretty sure they can find room for Collins if he is cleared of any participation in this matter.

I ZERO chance of him wanting to come to New York of all places, maybe he would go to another Southern team to get away from the whole drama of the situation like maybe Atlanta, or Houston, but other than that thinking the Saints have to have the inside track here, and no way they won't be interested.

Whoever signs him is seeing a PR nightmare Ray Rice style. I think at this point teams have concluded they're better off without.

Well I'm projecting once he's officially cleared, that's when he is supposedly going to sign, and it could be as early as this week.

Now if he's a suspect that's a different story and he won't get signed then.

If I am a betting man Collins end up in New Orleans, the Saints did revamp that OL already, but I am pretty sure they can find room for Collins if he is cleared of any participation in this matter.

I ZERO chance of him wanting to come to New York of all places, maybe he would go to another Southern team to get away from the whole drama of the situation like maybe Atlanta, or Houston, but other than that thinking the Saints have to have the inside track here, and no way they won't be interested.

I can see the exact opposite happening. Given his talent, the infinite amount of offers that he will receive if he is cleared of any wrongdoing, and the apparent mess that he is currently a part of I can see him wanted to get the hell out of Louisiana. I am not saying that we are on the short list of teams that would want his services or on the short list of teams he would be interested in signing with, but removing himself from the area and those in it may not be the worst idea he has ever had...

I can see the exact opposite happening. Given his talent, the infinite amount of offers that he will receive if he is cleared of any wrongdoing, and the apparent mess that he is currently a part of I can see him wanted to get the hell out of Louisiana. I am not saying that we are on the short list of teams that would want his services or on the short list of teams he would be interested in signing with, but removing himself from the area and those in it may not be the worst idea he has ever had...

Yes he will have the pick of where he wants to go, but the nobody can offer him more money, he still has to abide by the rookie salary scale.  And I did mention if you read my post he might want to leave Louisiana for that reason, but he is still a southern boy.

They never provided an update on that but he would have surely changed his position after finding out that wasn't an option.  I realize he didn't know that at the time, but if he's not allowed, by rule, to do what he said he would do, then he really wouldn't have much choice.  He could refuse to sign and try to force a trade but that wouldn't make a ton of sense since the rookie wage scale would prevent a bidding war.

My understanding that his claim of "I won't sign if I'm drafted in rounds 4 through 7" actually made sense.

If he *was* drafted, then if he doesn't sign, he *can* reenter the 2016 draft (though the same team can't draft him).  IOW, drafting him in the 7th means that your team is the only team that *can't* get him in 2016.

But because he wasn't drafted, he's a UDFA, and can't enter another draft.

One benefit of UDFA's for him, though, is that UDFA's have 3-year contracts instead of 4.  So, he can make decent money a year earlier if he plays as well as everyone expects.

We need to go full bore if we have any chance of getting this guy.

Since everyone is in the same boat as to what can be offered we need to show him DBricks pay check & say, see this, well Dbrick is getting long in the tooth & we're looking for his replacement in the next two years.

If this kid is cleared of involvement in this horrific crime, then he'd be the icing on the cake for this excellent off-season. Imagine him joining the OL crowd. Can he play RT until it's time to replace Brick? Can Breno slide over to RG? How big of a coup would it be if we nabbed him on top of the rest of the FA/Draft haul?

Would have been smart to secure his rights with that other 7th round pick. If things go south it was a 7th, if he's cleared we basically got 2 1st round picks. 

Archived