The La'El Collins watch

Integrity28

Those opportunities are fewer in western NY these days....

Actually,  since Cuomo was elected they are becoming more plentiful.  There's good incentives to move businesses to Buffalo and major corps. are taking advantage of them.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go back and check 2014 standings.  Facts are stubborn things.  

I know what the standings looked like.

You fired the coach that got you there, an hired the coach that got us to 4 wins. We fired the coach that got us 4 wins and hired a coach that helped Arizona make the playoffs.

On paper, between the coaching changes and the roster improvements, the Jets got better. If it weren't true, I wouldn't say it. I'm not such a fan that I'd allow my bias to have me touting nonsense.... hint, hint.

Affordable housing with land. Getting my moving van.13vacant-600.jpgwintry_weather-12.jpgYeah, this is where I want to live.

There's 400,000 residents in the City of Buffalo and 8 Million+  residents in the City of New York..  How many NYC residents live in decrepit areas?  

Parallel conduct is not the equivalent of a gentlemen's agreement.  If the parties colluded through some gentlemen's agreement to refuse to draft La'el then there would probably be issues under the CBA.  The fact is without any agreement the parties all had the same incentives not to draft La'el and acted in their own self-interest by not wasting a draft pick on a guy that would attempt to reenter the draft next year.  Perhaps you meant something like that when you were talking about a gentlemen's agreement but the implications of a horizontal refusal to deal (which is implied by the term gentlemen's agreement) would be too dangerous for any party in the NFL to get behind.  

lol thanks for the memo.  it is just an expression. i'm not suggesting the owners met in a cigar filled room. everyone knew the score and they all knew that not drafting him was the way to play this out and to show rookies that the millionaires dance for the billionaires, not the other way around.

Just a thought,  if Collins goes after the money,  I think the team would offer something like a 5 year contract.  The third through fifth year salary would probably be the deciding factor if again,  money was the primary interest. I would think in most cases it would be.    If money is,  Buffalo may have a chance.  Otherwise,  I agree with most posters,  he's going to Miami.  

i am no expert but i believe there is not so much room to be creative in these things. yes there can be a wink and a nod to renegotiate the deal but well ask revis how much those insinuations are worth

It may not appear that way (to you) but I do.  However,  it does appear that you do not know the definition of conspiracy.  If you go back,  you will see that I presented this as a "possibility" and you mentioned it was stupid. Why?  It is possible.

No, you can't "leave it at that", because otherwise my inbox wouldn't have 9 straight responses from you and you alone. 

Do you know the difference between saying "it's possible" and "it's a conspiracy"? Perhaps it's you that doesn't know the definition of conspiracy.

I know what the standings looked like.

You fired the coach that got you there, an hired the coach that got us to 4 wins. We fired the coach that got us 4 wins and hired a coach that helped Arizona make the playoffs.

On paper, between the coaching changes and the roster improvements, the Jets got better. If it weren't true, I wouldn't say it. I'm not such a fan that I'd allow my bias to have me touting nonsense.... hint, hint.

We didnt fire Marrone.  You base your comments on what is written on paper and I base mine based upon results.  We have a difference of opinion.  I just like to work with facts.

Actually,  since Cuomo was elected they are becoming more plentiful.  There's good incentives to move businesses to Buffalo and major corps. are taking advantage of them.

Actually  no............  outside of the NYC area, NYS is dying a slow death. 

Gov. Cuomo’s handpicked bureaucrats are just as afraid of sunlight as he is. Over the Christmas break, the Empire State Development Corp. quietly announced it’s delaying its promised report on START-UP NY by four months.

Since the program is a lumbering boondoggle, it’s pretty obvious that Cuomo’s pawns are busy sanitizing the report to minimize how poorly it reflects on his abysmal record on New York’s moribund economy.

Every year, 100,000 people leave New York state, along with countless jobs. Just a few months ago, the iconic Remington Arms Co. — a top employer in my district — announced the elimination of 126 more jobs.

http://nypost.com/2015/01/12/the-start-up-scam-telling-delay-on-governors-program/

http://www.taxanalysts.com/www/features.nsf/Articles/DC64E543F3D1B2DE85257C3C00530CB6?OpenDocument

If you posted a comment on this thread,  you shared it.

Well, this is a dense response.

Obviously I shared the comment only after you asked. Initially, I thought it in the best interests of "the lulz" to let you spew more drivel before just calling it stupid.

lol thanks for the memo.  it is just an expression. i'm not suggesting the owners met in a cigar filled room. everyone knew the score and they all knew that not drafting him was the way to play this out and to show rookies that the millionaires dance for the billionaires, not the other way around.

Yes, gentlemen's agreement is an expression.  I'm calling your attention to the unintended implications of the expression.  Apologies if it came across as obnoxious but I just disagree with any narrative that suggests there was cooperation involved.  In my mind each team's FO individually decided not to draft him and there was no coordination required (be it as sophisticated as a smoky room for organizing a cartel or as limited as a few phone calls to feel out other party's willingness to draft him).  Again apologies if my nitpicking came across as obnoxious.    

Yes, gentlemen's agreement is an expression.  I'm calling your attention to the unintended implications of the expression.  Apologies if it came across as obnoxious but I just disagree with any narrative that suggests there was cooperation involved.  In my mind each team's FO individually decided not to draft him and there was no coordination required (be it as sophisticated as a smoky room for organizing a cartel or as limited as a few phone calls to feel out other party's willingness to draft him).  Again apologies if my nitpicking came across as obnoxious.    

thanks for the briefing on making a conspiracy or anti-competitive case. ps gentlemen's agreements can be unspoken, just people who all know the score and act accordingly. that's what i am suggesting. everyone knew he was hosed if he didn't get drafted and so that's what happened. no one wanted to be the one to throw the lifeline allowing him to game the system and sit for a year, or endure the ridicule of being the team that drafted the next murderer, while he was under suspicion.

We didnt fire Marrone.  You base your comments on what is written on paper and I base mine based upon results.  We have a difference of opinion.  I just like to work with facts.

OH THAT'S RIGHT HE WALKED AWAY FROM THE JOB. That was easy.

Honestly, this isn't about opinions. These are facts:

Rex Ryan led the Jets to 4 wins last year.

The Bills had 8 wins last year.

Marrone is not your coach anymore.

Rex is.

The Bills had no first round pick, drafted poorly based on the experts, and only added McCoy as a significant move this pre-season.

The Jets got the consensus best player in the draft, drafted excellent based on experts, add Marshall, Revis, Cromartie, Skrine, Fiztpatrick as significant moves this pre-season.

On paper, the Jets improved. The Bills WERE good last year, like I said, but based on FACTS about the off-season improvements of both clubs, the Jets are positioned to be BETTER this year. Thus, there was nothing incorrect or exaggerated about saying the Bills are the worst of the AFC East.

If you don't want to hear truths like this, then log back in under your Jets screen name and STFU.

1.  There is absolutely nothing fair about this system. 

2.  Why be threatened/intimidated by him?  You are advocating picking a guy who swore he would not sign with you AND was expected to be questioned by the police in connection with a brutal murder. He had not even sat down with the cops yet. There are 3 possibilities, the one where you flat out waste your 7th is far better than the worst.  Also, by picking him in the 7th you actually increase the odds of him sitting out the year because they he could re-enter the draft and go where he deserved to in the first place.

1. What's not fair about compensating him for how he performs? I'm not sure I follow you.

2. Who cares if he sits out! You'd have to be absolutely insane to think he's gonna quit football and destroy his career and waste his talent and everything he worked for his entire life and go back to flipping burgers instead of biting the bullet and play for the team that drafted him and then 1-2 years down the road get a good contact and make millions. That's absolutely nuts. You'd have to be a fool to think he'll do that. And if he does, so what. Don't give me this "wasted 7th round" horsecrap. They are wasted 99% of the time anyway. Hell, almost our entire draft class last year was wasted. You're gonna complain about a 7th round pick, a compensatory 7th round pick. Ridiculous. When considering you might get a 10+ year starter, Pro Bowler with that pick. But yeah, let's pick a 3rd fullback instead who's not gonna make the team.

Also, there are no results from the 2015 season other than the improvements made to the teams. So, given that my comment was made in the context of the 2015 season, it would appear I'm the only one of the two of us looking at results.

You're cherry picking your team's record last season, calling it results, then ignoring that your team has been completely revamped in the coaching staff, is "fixing" the defense with a new coach/scheme despite it not needing it, and you've revamped the run game, which also was a strength already. By all accounts, you've stayed the same, while introducing the risk of the new scheme not working as well.

Pssssshhhhh... 

1. What's not fair about compensating him for how he performs? I'm not sure I follow you.

2. Who cares if he sits out! You'd have to be absolutely insane to think he's gonna quit football and destroy his career and waste his talent and everything he worked for his entire life and go back to flipping burgers instead of biting the bullet and play for the team that drafted him and then 1-2 years down the road get a good contact and make millions. That's absolutely nuts. You'd have to be a fool to think he'll do that. And if he does, so what. Don't give me this "wasted 7th round" horsecrap. They are wasted 99% of the time anyway. Hell, almost our entire draft class last year was wasted. You're gonna complain about a 7th round pick, a compensatory 7th round pick. Ridiculous. When considering you might get a 10+ year starter, Pro Bowler with that pick. But yeah, let's pick a 3rd fullback instead who's not gonna make the team.

1. They are not compensating him for how he performs. They are compensating him based on some bullsh*t schedule for UDFA or 7th round picks depending on where he wound up.  First round talent deserves first round pay, no?

2.  Who cares if he sits out?  The team that burned a pick on him and doesn't get to pick him the following season.  If he had the opportunity to enter the 2016 draft he would certainly hold out. 

These would be his options, assuming that he is 1st round talent.  The salaries go up every year, but assuming he went in the 7th, Trevor Reilly got a $56K bonus on a 4 year/$2.25M contract.  Calvin Pryor went 18 overall and got a $4.5M bonus on a 4 year/$8.5M deal.  Would you rather work 2 years and make $1.25M through the end of 2016, or work one year and make $5M through the end of 2016?  LSU might not be Ivy League, but I think he can figure out which is better.

What part of he would not sign with the team that drafted him this year, and because of that would be allowed to ENTER THE 2016 DRAFT, and get picked in the 1st round, and make millions instead of 300,000 unguarnateed  money don't you get?  IF an NFL team drafted him they would have did him a HUGE favor!

ps gentlemen's agreements can be unspoken, just people who all know the score and act accordingly. 

Of course a gentlemen's agreement may be unspoken but it is not the same thing as merely parallel behavior without some sort of coordination involved.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentlemen%27s_agreement

As far as I can tell there are two distinct possibilities for what you meant:

1.  Are you suggesting that everyone had the same motive and merely acted in accord with their own self interest?  

2.  Are you suggesting that through signaling and unspoken cues each team coordinated their behavior in order to get past some collective action problem?  

Please clarify which one you meant.  Again apologies for nitpicking, internet communications lack eyebrows and are often interpreted as hostile when there was no hostility involved.  I am not attempting to be rude, just advancing a view that I perceive to be in tension with yours, but I can understand where you would get the impression that I'm being rude, hopefully this explanation persuades you that I'm not messing around with you.  

What part of he would not sign with the team that drafted him this year, and because of that would be allowed to ENTER THE 2016 DRAFT, and get picked in the 1st round, and make millions instead of 300,000 unguarnateed  money don't you get?  IF an NFL team drafted him they would have did him a HUGE favor!

La'el Collins goes undrafted, not eligible for '16 draft

By Conor Orr

Around The NFL Writer

Published: May 2, 2015 at 06:42 p.m. Updated: May 4, 2015 at 12:10 p.m.

LSU's La'el Collins, once thought of as a likely first-round pick, was not selected at all during the 2015 NFL Draft.

Collins is scheduled to meet with Baton Rouge (Louisiana) police in connection with the shooting death of a 29-year-old pregnant woman, Brittany Mills. He is not a suspect in the case, and had a previous relationship with Mills. NFL Media's Albert Breer reported Collins will meet with authorities after the draft.

Collins' representatives had told clubs that Collins would refuse to sign with a team that drafted him outside the third round and that Collins would simply re-enter the draft in 2016. However, that is not an option according to NFL rules, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Saturday. Teams were wary of drafting Collins until they know more information. The opinion across football has been relatively simple: Wait until the investigation process runs its course.

Collins' case is unprecedented in part because of the timing and because of his talent on the field. His playing comparison to Maurkice Pouncey and a brutal display of power and body control on film made him a no-brainer for so many teams coming into the draft that were looking for help across their offensive line.

Marc Ross, the Giants' director of college scouting, summed the process up perfectly: "We thought about La'el the whole time, because he's sitting up there," he told reporters in East Rutherford, New Jersey, on Saturday. "But we were going to pass on that."

Collins will theoretically be available to sign as an undrafted free agent if he is cleared legally. But the amount that a team could pay him would be heavily limited by NFL rules governing undrafted free agents.

So for now, as we enter a white-knuckle period for player reps who are rapidly fielding calls for undrafted free agents, Collins' status remains a mystery.

NFL general managers were first informed about the situation on Tuesday, according to Rapoport. Included in the note to GMs was information that a woman Collins knew, Mills, was murdered. Mills was pregnant and the baby initially survived, but the infant died Friday, per Baton Rouge police. The police are now trying to determine parental responsibility. The note said that Collins had not contacted Mills since September.

Wow, that makes a lot of sense. Instead of sitting out this year and make millions next year he'd rather sign an undrafted free agent contract now.

giphy.gif

La'el Collins goes undrafted, not eligible for '16 draft

By Conor Orr

Around The NFL Writer

Published: May 2, 2015 at 06:42 p.m. Updated: May 4, 2015 at 12:10 p.m.

LSU's La'el Collins, once thought of as a likely first-round pick, was not selected at all during the 2015 NFL Draft.

Collins is scheduled to meet with Baton Rouge (Louisiana) police in connection with the shooting death of a 29-year-old pregnant woman, Brittany Mills. He is not a suspect in the case, and had a previous relationship with Mills. NFL Media's Albert Breer reported Collins will meet with authorities after the draft.

Collins' representatives had told clubs that Collins would refuse to sign with a team that drafted him outside the third round and that Collins would simply re-enter the draft in 2016. However, that is not an option according to NFL rules, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Saturday. Teams were wary of drafting Collins until they know more information. The opinion across football has been relatively simple: Wait until the investigation process runs its course.

Collins' case is unprecedented in part because of the timing and because of his talent on the field. His playing comparison to Maurkice Pouncey and a brutal display of power and body control on film made him a no-brainer for so many teams coming into the draft that were looking for help across their offensive line.

Marc Ross, the Giants' director of college scouting, summed the process up perfectly: "We thought about La'el the whole time, because he's sitting up there," he told reporters in East Rutherford, New Jersey, on Saturday. "But we were going to pass on that."

Collins will theoretically be available to sign as an undrafted free agent if he is cleared legally. But the amount that a team could pay him would be heavily limited by NFL rules governing undrafted free agents.

So for now, as we enter a white-knuckle period for player reps who are rapidly fielding calls for undrafted free agents, Collins' status remains a mystery.

NFL general managers were first informed about the situation on Tuesday, according to Rapoport. Included in the note to GMs was information that a woman Collins knew, Mills, was murdered. Mills was pregnant and the baby initially survived, but the infant died Friday, per Baton Rouge police. The police are now trying to determine parental responsibility. The note said that Collins had not contacted Mills since September.

Yes this proves my point, undradted can't enter 2016 draft. Drafted 7th round doesn't sign with team that drafted him, becomes eligible for 2016 NFL draft, AND the team that drafted him CAN'T draft him alla Bo Jackson.

Yes this proves my point, undradted can't enter 2016 draft. Drafted 7th round doesn't sign with team that drafted him, becomes eligible for 2016 NFL draft, AND the team that drafted him CAN'T draft him alla Bo Jackson.

You make no sense.

Wow, that makes a lot of sense. Instead of sitting out this year and make millions next year he'd rather sign an undrafted free agent contract now.

giphy.gif

It's not up to him, it's up to the NFL teams to decide to draft him or not, and they all did the right thing, and didn't draft him because he never would have even stepped in the facilities, never mind played a down for that team.

My understanding is Collins wants to play NFL football this year, and the quickest way to recoup the money he lost by falling out of the 1st round is by going undrafted, because teams only can sign you to 3 year deals not 4, and 5 year deals like drafted players, this would have forced a team to tender him at 1st round money if he was playing up to his projected abilities, that tender would be worth more than his whole contract from years 1-4 if he was drafted after the 3rd round.

Who cares if he sits out! You'd have to be absolutely insane to think he's gonna quit football and destroy his career and waste his talent and everything he worked for his entire life and go back to flipping burgers instead of biting the bullet and play for the team that drafted him and then 1-2 years down the road get a good contact and make millions. That's absolutely nuts. You'd have to be a fool to think he'll do that. And if he does, so what. Don't give me this "wasted 7th round" horsecrap. They are wasted 99% of the time anyway. Hell, almost our entire draft class last year was wasted. You're gonna complain about a 7th round pick, a compensatory 7th round pick. Ridiculous. When considering you might get a 10+ year starter, Pro Bowler with that pick. But yeah, let's pick a 3rd fullback instead who's not gonna make the team.

giphy.gif

You make no sense.

Giving your ever loving pregnant ex-girlfriend a tune up is one thing. Punishable by law as it should be.

Taking the same lady out or providing incentive to anyone else for whatever reason should get you minimum Hernandez time, but preferably a needle or some sincere amperage.

It would be great to get someone viable in an area I still think is very thin on our roster, but we cant even think of this guy unless he's squeaky clean.

Giving your ever loving pregnant ex-girlfriend a tune up is one thing. Punishable by law as it should be.

Taking the same lady out or providing incentive to anyone else for whatever reason should get you minimum Hernandez time, but preferably a needle or some sincere amperage.

It would be great to get someone viable in an area I still think is very thin on our roster, but we cant even think of this guy unless he's squeaky clean.

I'm sure every person she has had sex with in the past year is being interviewed by the police.  Should they all be denied employment ?

Signing this guy now doesn't hurt the team in any way.  Hell Ray Lewis is probably going to the HOF

I've said it elsewhere, I have little to no doubt that Goodell intervened and didn't want his draft week spectacle marred by a team selecting a guy that may be found later to have killed a woman and baby.

Otherwise, one of these well-run teams with a boatload of picks, like the Pats or Seahawks, would have taken him.

I wish people would stop acting like the Jets were the only team that didn't secure him.

Possible it was Goodell. Also possible that the 32 teams, either collectively or individually, all came to the same conclusion to leave Collins on the board without Goodell. No team wants that kind of publicity if he was involved in the murders. Not even if he was the next Anthony Munoz.

Possible it was Goodell. Also possible that the 32 teams, either collectively or individually, all came to the same conclusion to leave Collins on the board without Goodell. No team wants that kind of publicity if he was involved in the murders. Not even if he was the next Anthony Munoz.

Agreed

Let's say the Jets did take Collins with their 7th round pick, all you would hear about is him, the murder case, and will he sign. The rest of what the Jets did in the off season would be a thing of the past.

Also I gotta assume every team called his agent, and asked if we take you here with our pick what can we do to get your client signed, and in our building, and the answer probably nothing, don't waste your pick, your time, or ours thank you for the inquiry, we will talk to NFL teams after the situation is cleared up.

It's not up to him, it's up to the NFL teams to decide to draft him or not, and they all did the right thing, and didn't draft him because he never would have even stepped in the facilities, never mind played a down for that team.

My understanding is Collins wants to play NFL football this year, and the quickest way to recoup the money he lost by falling out of the 1st round is by going undrafted, because teams only can sign you to 3 year deals not 4, and 5 year deals like drafted players, this would have forced a team to tender him at 1st round money if he was playing up to his projected abilities, that tender would be worth more than his whole contract from years 1-4 if he was drafted after the 3rd round.

Again, I feel like I'm repeating myself. Would you rather get drafted in the 1st round and then play out all 5 years on that contract or do you think financially it would have been smarter to sign a contract as a 7th round pick where the team you get drafted by promises you to compensate you accordingly by year 2 or 3? If he's so confident in his skills, if he's so confident that he'll be fully cleared, just sign the deal and by year 2 or 3 we will see. We will see if you develop into a starter, we'll see if you had nothing to do with the murder case. If all that turns out to be the case, if you become a starter, an impact player, if you get cleared, we'll pay you like a starter, like a Pro Bowler by year 2 or 3. How is that not perfectly logic? How is that not perfectly fair to the player? This is a gift! If I'm Collins that's exactly what I'd want. If you're a 1st round talent, why the hell would you want to tie yourself up with a 1st round contract to a team for about half of your NFL career if you can manage to stick around for 10+ years? Who the hell would want that? Nobody. That's what the players were fighting on that new CBA deal.

I'm sure every person she has had sex with in the past year is being interviewed by the police.  Should they all be denied employment ?

Signing this guy now doesn't hurt the team in any way.  Hell Ray Lewis is probably going to the HOF

I'm saying cleared from any part of this crime - like zero involvement

Again, I feel like I'm repeating myself. Would you rather get drafted in the 1st round and then play out all 5 years on that contract or do you think financially it would have been smarter to sign a contract as a 7th round pick where the team you get drafted by promises you to compensate you accordingly by year 2 or 3? If he's so confident in his skills, if he's so confident that he'll be fully cleared, just sign the deal and by year 2 or 3 we will see. We will see if you develop into a starter, we'll see if you had nothing to do with the murder case. If all that turns out to be the case, if you become a starter, an impact player, if you get cleared, we'll pay you like a starter, like a Pro Bowler by year 2 or 3. How is that not perfectly logic? How is that not perfectly fair to the player? This is a gift! If I'm Collins that's exactly what I'd want. If you're a 1st round talent, why the hell would you want to tie yourself up with a 1st round contract to a team for about half of your NFL career if you can manage to stick around for 10+ years? Who the hell would want that? Nobody. That's what the players were fighting on that new CBA deal.

Go ask guys like Leon Washington, and Pete Kendall how it feels when an NFL team "promises" to take care of you next year. It's a business, the worst possible business decision is to trust someone's promise that isn't legally binding, are you serious right now? No team can legally promise him that, therefore your situation is like playing game of war (you know the one with Kate Upton in the commercials) fantasy land.

Go ask guys like Leon Washington, and Pete Kendall how it feels when an NFL team "promises" to take care of you next year. It's a business, the worst possible business decision is to trust someone's promise that isn't legally binding, are you serious right now? No team can legally promise him that, therefore your situation is like playing game of war (you know the one with Kate Upton in the commercials) fantasy land.

It's silly to compare this to any other case. It's not. And I have no clue what was said there behind closed doors. Anyway, the guy is a 1st round talent, you don't **** him over by drafting him in the 7th, get him to sign the contract by giving your word that you'd compensate him accordingly by year 2 or 3 if he turns out to be a good player and if he stays out of trouble. Oh, and **** Game of War. And Kate Upton.

Archived