Jets Re-Draft! Since All the Picks Are In, Who Would YOU Choose?

JetBlue

Found this article and thought it was very interesting.  The writer's draft is almost identical to Macs with the exception of Petty; he takes T.J. Clemmings (T) and Anthony Harris (S) over Deon Simon 

The post directly below was from the comment section and was a poster giving their opinion and I thought it was a very interesting alternative to our draft.  Granted hindsight is 20-20, but, this would have been a very nice draft. 

I'll play.

1. (6) Leonard Williams, DT, USC

You have to take him if he falls to 6.

2. (37) Randy Gregory, DE/OLB, Nebraska

I don’t think all character concerns are created equally. There are real red flags, and then there’s just immaturity. Let’s say with this new regime, we have the kind of support system Gregory needs. This defensive front and pass rush just got ridiculous. Gregory’s size is less of an issue with the beef the Jets have on the line, and we can mix and match with all kinds of fronts. This defense is so good that we’re going to be able to win a lot of games without scoring 20 points.

3. (70) Jaelen Strong, WR, Arizona State

As much as I like the idea of trading down, we’re just going to stay and take Strong for ourselves. I think he’s a late first round talent. Love the way he imposes his will on the defense, and love his catch radius. I see big things for him.

4. (103) Jeremy Langford, RB, Michigan State

I love this fit for Gailey’s offense. He can do a little bit of everything. He’s the rare back who can step in and be a three down player as a rookie. I think he’ll be really good in a zone blocking system.

7. (223) Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon

No trade back so we don’t get the fifth rounder. Onto the seventh. I’m worried about the knee with Ifo. Something doesn’t seem right that he’s still here. I’m willing to roll the dice in the seventh round. Despite his size, I don’t think he’s a slot corner. I think he’s physical enough to be an Antoine Winfield kinda guy on the outside.

7. (224) Brandon Bridge, QB, South Alabama

With Langford in the mix, I’m not trading for Zac Stacy so we keep this one. You guys seem to like raw quarterbacks with great physical tools so I give you a quarterback who might be even more raw and have even better physical tools than Bryce Petty.

Here is the full Article

Round 1 - Pick 6

Actual Pick: Leonard Williams, DE/DT, USC

Re-Draft Pick: Leonard Williams, DE/DT, USC

There is absolutely nothing I would do to change this pick. Picking Leo had to be the guy. When the best player of the draft falls to you at 6, you don't even blink. Yes, we did try to trade back, but no one gave us what we wanted. I applaud Mike Maccagnan for sticking to his board, and not jumping ship to go after a position that was more of a need. I likeKevin White, but I didn't like him at 6. Vic Beasley was another option, but I feel likeTodd Bowles prefers his edge guys with more size. Leo adds to our existing gluttony of talent along the D-line. It's going to be fun to see how Bowles uses all these guys together to lock down the line of scrimmage

Round 2 - Pick 37

Actual Pick: Devin Smith, WR, Ohio State

Re-Draft Pick: Dorial Green-Beckham, WR, Oklahoma

This would have been a very hard pick for me if I were the GM. I would have had 3 WRs available that I love. Smith is the vertical threat we lack, and will fill that need admirably. The thing is, I believe he has 2nd round talent. DGB and Strong have first round talent. I am hearing there is some kind of wrist issue with Strong that is worrying a lot of teams, so I will trust our medical team. DGB on the other hand is healthy, and filled to the brim with talent. If it wasn't for his off the field issues, he would be a top 10 pick. The risk is there, but in the 2nd round, the reward over shadows that risk. His size, speed height combination would make him a matchup nightmare. If you put him next to our other matchup nightmares, our receiving core becomes a night terror. I am happy with Smith, but I feel like DGB could be a true #1 once Brandon Marshall is gone.

Round 3 - Pick 82 (Trade with Texens)

Actual Pick: Lorenzo Mauldin, DE/OLB, Louisville

Re-Draft Pick: Lorenzo Mauldin, DE/OLB, Louisville

Like our first pick, I wouldn't change a thing about this Mauldin selection. I have been very high on Lorenzo for a while now. @DrewFromJersey and I mocked him in the 2nd round of our 2nd mock. Mauldin is a fiery player that is cranked to 11 on every play. He is relentless in pursuit of the ball carrier, and plays with a heavy fist. Not only is he an amazing player that will grow in this ferocious defense, he is a great teammate. He has the mentality, and the temperament to be a beast on the edge, but does need to develop his technique a little. Another pick I was looking at was the RB out of Northern Iowa, David Johnson. In the end, Mauldin was the final piece we need to complete this defense

Round 4 - Pick 103 (Trade with Jaguars)

Actual Pick: Bryce Petty, QB, Baylor

Re-Draft Pick: T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh

I couldn't help but cringe when I saw this pick develop. I think the 4th round was way too early to grab a 3rd string QB. There is no way he is beating out either Fitzmagic or Geno Smith. We could have addressed a more dire need like our O-line. As a guy born and raised in Teaneck, I would have loved to have seen a hometown guy like Clemmings come to the Jets. Besides my hometown bias, Clemmings would have been a great value pick here in the 4th. A few weeks ago most had TJ as a late 1st round, early 2nd round pick. A foot injury has scared a lot of teams away until this point in the 4th. He is raw, but has all the natural talent in the world to be a very good tackle in the NFL. With D'Brickashaw ferguson getting older and more expensive, and Breno Giacomininot really showing anything more than mediocrity, Clemmings could have replaced one of them after a redshirt year.

Round 5 - Pick 152 (Trade with Texans)

Actual pick: Jarvis Harrison, OG, Texas A&M

Re-Draft Pick: Jarvis Harrison, OG, Texas A&M

It's really hard to not like this pick. Grabbing Jarvis here screams value. Harrison is said to have the talent to be a talented starter for years to come. Of course he didn't drop for no reason. He has some questions with his shoulder, and his work ethic. I trust our medical staff when it comes to evaluating stuff like that. As far as his work ethic goes, I feel like he will rally around this team. The AFC East has become the hunting ground for elite D-lines. If you don't have an O-line to match up with those guys, your QB won't be long for this planet. Harrison adds to a very young group of guards fighting for a spot on this team. Willie Colon may not be guaranteed a starting spot, and can be supplanted by one of these guys. Some other guys I was looking at with this pick were WR/CB Tony Lippett, TE Nick O'Leary or S Derron Smith. In the end, the need for talent along the O-line won out.

Round 7 - Pick 223

Actual Pick: Deon Simon, NT, Northwestern St. (LA)

Re-Draft Pick: Anthony Harris, S, Virginia

There must be something about Deon Simon that Mike Maccagnan and Bowles fell in love with. For me, I think there were a lot of other guys we could have gone with here. There are always talented guys that can contribute, that find themselves dropping to the 7th round. My guy is Anthony Harris. While watching tape for Eli Harold, I fell in love with Anthony Harris. He was always around the bal. He is a rangy safety, that has great instincts, and quick hips to break on the ball. He can also move quickly down hill, and attack the run. His tackling skills are top notch, and his football inteligence is obvious. I know we signed Marcus Gilchrist in free agency, but I don't see him as a ball hawking free safety that can go hunting throughout the deep end of the field. There are a number of other guys I would have been thrilled with here... WR Tre McBride, WR Dezmin Lewis, ILB Zach Vigil... Out of all these guys, I think Harris brings something to the table we don't already have.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So drafting a raw QB = cringeworthy, but drafting a raw OT with a foot issue = good. And hey, he was raised in a town in the same geographic area as MetLife. That seals it as a sure fire can't miss. Thanks Maccagnan.

So drafting a raw QB = cringeworthy, but drafting a raw OT with a foot issue = good. And hey, he was raised in a town in the same geographic area as MetLife. That seals it as a sure fire can't miss. Thanks Maccagnan.

I am very happy with our draft but if we took Clemmings or the best available OT and got Bridge in the 7th I would be able to live with that.  Although Bridge is the very definition of RAW. 

Not picking Jaelen Strong in the 3rd might be one we remember for years to come.

Maybe. But we picked a WR in the 2nd so it didn't make much sens to pick up another WR in the 3rd when you also used the 4th round (or 5th I guess) on Marshall. Idzik may have picked 4 WRs but not Big Mac. Only time will tell, and I probably wouldve been happier with DGB or Strong instead of Devin, but Im sure we saw something in Devin. He, btw, was also graded out as a first round talent by many.

Maybe. But we picked a WR in the 2nd so it didn't make much sens to pick up another WR in the 3rd when you also used the 4th round (or 5th I guess) on Marshall. Idzik may have picked 4 WRs but not Big Mac. Only time will tell, and I probably wouldve been happier with DGB or Strong instead of Devin, but Im sure we saw something in Devin. He, btw, was also graded out as a first round talent by many.

It did make sense actually,

Because it was BPA.

Because he did not get a fair trade in picks for trading down.

Because Brandon Marshall with his injury situation might be an answer for one season.

Because we did not have much depth at the WR to begin with.

Because Jaelen Strong in Round 3 represented he best steal of this draft.

Because Devin Smith might just end up being a one trick pony. As much as i like the pick he still has to develop as a complete NFL receiver.

Again I was against trading a 5th round pick for Brandon Marshall. That was a BIG mistake. But you do not compound your mistakes by making wrong decisions based on previous wrong decisions.

That first one is the perfect draft according to almost all pre draft rankings.

But have to trust Mac.

Which I do, all except for the 3rd round. Which was I think a combo of miscalculating who would get taken and being caught trying to please/ being taken by his former boss.

Still a great draft

Because it was BPA.

Because Brandon Marshall with his injury situation might be an answer for one season.

Because Devin Smith might just end up being a one trick pony. As much as i like the pick he still has to develop as a complete NFL receiver.

Again I was against trading a 5th round pick for Brandon Marshall. That was a BIG mistake. But you do not compound your mistakes by making wrong decisions based on previous wrong decisions.

I was with you until that last paragraph...and the lol'd.

Lets go slow. the trade value was about right. Drop down 12 in the 3rd, pick up 2 extra picks in the 5th n 7th, and a WR.

Clearly Big Mac saw something in Jaelen Strong he did not like. Hand  issue? 30 other GMs saw the same thing.

Marshall's injury situation? Which injury? I thought he was fine? I may be wrong there.

We have Decker, Marshall, Kerley, Devin Smith and Owusu as our WRs at the time of the pick. Plenty of depth imo.

Randy Gregory in the late 2nd was the best steal imo, but thats yet to be seen and will take 3-5 years to determine, not 3-5 days.

One trick pony? Doesn't Jaelen need to develop as a complete NFL receiver? Or perhaps he came with 6 years of NFL experience?

Because it was BPA.

Your nuts, A 5th round pick is nothing more than a roll of the dice, much more a gamble than a known commodity (Marshall) at a position of need.  

Not picking Jaelen Strong in the 3rd might be one we remember for years to come.

After picking up Devin Smith I don't believe Jalen was an option in the 3rd round.  Yes he is talented but we had another needs to address.  If you want to criticize the trade down that is fine but if we stood with the pick I believe we would have went LB or maybe one of the running backs. 

After picking up Devin Smith I don't believe Jalen was an option in the 3rd round.  Yes he is talented but we had another needs to address.  If you want to criticize the trade down that is fine but if we stood with the pick I believe we would have went LB or maybe one of the running backs. 

BPA. All day. Every draft day.

As Plan B, I won't have had a problem with RB here as well

Your nuts, A 5th round pick is nothing more than a roll of the dice, much more a gamble than a known commodity (Marshall) at a position of need.  

Just pathetic. Why is it that just because you do not agree with someone you have to start calling names. And really why is it that it is tolerated over here despite the fact Max mentions it every once coming out against it.

BPA. All day. Every draft day.

As Plan B, I won't have had a problem with RB here as well

But that is assuming you think Strong was the BPA for that pick.  Also the BPA in the 3rd round is way different than the 1st or 2nd round.  They could also be looking at BPA per positional need in the 3rd where as LB  was greater than WR.

I would rather have Mauldin at a need position who can be a beast over a WR where we are already 4 deep in.  

Clemmings or Williams in the 4th. Definitely. That pick is the biggest blunder of this year.

Not sure why people are unhappy with the Petty pick.  He probably wouldn't have been available in the 5th and it gives us someone who had a productive college career an opportunity to develop.  Simms is a clip board holder and Fitz has a one year contract.  If Geno implodes and Fitz is average then why not try and develop someone else?  

Not sure why people are unhappy with the Petty pick.  He probably wouldn't have been available in the 5th and it gives us someone who had a productive college career an opportunity to develop.  Simms is a clip board holder and Fitz has a one year contract.  If Geno implodes and Fitz is average then why not try and develop someone else?  

It's a matter of odds. Almost 140 QBs selected in the 4th through 7th rounds over the past 20 years and only about 8 have turned into anything. The success rate is so much lower that the risk probably isn't worth the reward. It's just not a part of the draft where you're likely to find a guy who is going to develop into a starter.

Just pathetic. Why is it that just because you do not agree with someone you have to start calling names. And really why is it that it is tolerated over here despite the fact Max mentions it every once coming out against it.

Ok , I do not believe in your line of thinking - better . 

It's a matter of odds. Almost 140 QBs selected in the 4th through 7th rounds over the past 20 years and only about 8 have turned into anything. The success rate is so much lower that the risk probably isn't worth the reward. It's just not a part of the draft where you're likely to find a guy who is going to develop into a starter.

We haven't won since 69.  We pray every day and hopefully we can add a 9 to that list.

Right, so why even bother drafting? Why even play the games at all?

But that is assuming you think Strong was the BPA for that pick.  Also the BPA in the 3rd round is way different than the 1st or 2nd round.  They could also be looking at BPA per positional need in the 3rd where as LB  was greater than WR.

I would rather have Mauldin at a need position who can be a beast over a WR where we are already 4 deep in.  

So while you, me or anyone else outside of Florham Park will never know who the BPA was its safe to there is a strong chance that it was Strong.No pun. Strong may end up being the steal of the draft. Houston got graded very positively for that pick.

Positional BPA is a nice way of saying need based drafting. I think 3rd round is too early for that. Specially when you get a player like Strong who had bottom first round grades.

That 4 deep is an illusion. Because Marshall was injury prone last season and Devin Smith is a one trick pone (although very good at that trick in college) and still a developmental project as far as developing into a complete NFL WR. I would be glad and very positively surprised if Marshall can provide us 12 games of healthy participation. I won't even expect a full season. So you add young talent when you can.

Also Strong would have contributed this season at a high level. But i do not see a very significant rookie contribution from our OLB prospect.

I would have gone BPA which i think very likely was Jaelen Strong.

It was probably based on the part where he mentioned how Clemmings was at one time considered a late 1st, early 2nd rounder. Cant say the same for Petty. It would probably better to sit a guy who has arguably 1st or 2nd round talent and let his foot heal rather than drafting a QB who will most likely be out of the league or a back up.

Not that I agree or disagree, I just think that was his thoughts on it.

Yeah but if it does we got our QB for the next 12 years.  Yahtzee!!!

Yeah but if it does we got our QB for the next 12 years.  Yahtzee!!!

Sure. But the numbers say that's unlikely, and the Patriots got one of the best guards in the draft because we ignored that. It's not a franchise breaker, but little moves like this add up over time.

Sure. But the numbers say that's unlikely, and the Patriots got one of the best guards in the draft because we ignored that. It's not a franchise breaker, but little moves like this add up over time.

They also found a francise QB in the six round or so.  I say we draft nothing but every QB we can until we find one dammit.  Then it begins. 

So while you, me or anyone else outside of Florham Park will never know who the BPA was its safe to there is a strong chance that it was Strong.No pun. Strong may end up being the steal of the draft. Houston got graded very positively for that pick.

Positional BPA is a nice way of saying need based drafting. I think 3rd round is too early for that. Specially when you get a player like Strong who had bottom first round grades.

That 4 deep is an illusion. Because Marshall was injury prone last season and Devin Smith is a one trick pone (although very good at that trick in college) and still a developmental project as far as developing into a complete NFL WR. I would be glad and very positively surprised if Marshall can provide us 12 games of healthy participation. I won't even expect a full season. So you add young talent when you can.

Also Strong would have contributed this season at a high level. But i do not see a very significant rookie contribution from our OLB prospect.

I would have gone BPA which i think very likely was Jaelen Strong.

There is no indication that anyone thought Strong was the BPA in the third or any other round for that matter. So why say it other than to stroke yourself into believing your guy was the better choice.

I don't people are unhappy with Petty, they're unhappy with the Jets going into week 1 with either Geno or Fitzpatrick. It's nice to have a guy to develop, but Both QB's that have a real shot at starting for the Jets are below average players. Getting an average QB would have been a major upgrade. INT's alone is going to kill this team and will eventually piss away all that money spent in free agency.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is a guy that during his best years with Chan averaged 18INTs per year during that 3 year span, and Geno Smith averages more INTs than TDs so by just getting him to even his ratio would be a feat in itself. The Jets had the opportunity to bring in a guy who wasn't a turnover machine and could manage and actually put points on the board. So from my point of view, its less about being happy about Petty given that I perfectly understand that he's developmental, but more of the fact that Geno Smith/Ryan Fitzpatrick duel isn't something to get excited about when you look at both guys career statistically, not wins and losses. Im not comfortable with our QB position.

I don't people are unhappy with Petty, they're unhappy with the Jets going into week 1 with either Geno or Fitzpatrick. It's nice to have a guy to develop, but Both QB's that have a real shot at starting for the Jets are below average players. Getting an average QB would have been a major upgrade. INT's alone is going to kill this team and will eventually piss away all that money spent in free agency.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is a guy that during his best years with Chan averaged 18INTs per year during that 3 year span, and Geno Smith averages more INTs than TDs so by just getting him to even his ratio would be a feat in itself. The Jets had the opportunity to bring in a guy who wasn't a turnover machine and could manage and actually put points on the board. So from my point of view, its less about being happy about Petty given that I perfectly understand that he's developmental, but more of the fact that Geno Smith/Ryan Fitzpatrick duel isn't something to get excited about when you look at both guys career statistically, not wins and losses. Im not comfortable with our QB position.

You are probably correct.

I didn't realize you changed your pic and I'm like "who's this guy?"  lol

Not going to redraft the entire draft tbqh, but I won't lie, in the moment and at that time I would have selected White (WR) at #6, then Mitch Morse/Jake Fisher/BAP OL (OL) in the second, and Sean Mannion (QB) in the third.

I, as GM, would not have drafted defense.  I believed (and belive) the Offense needed vastly more help, and that trumped BAP Theory.

Now.....

I've been convinced (it wasn't hard) that my feelings here were wrong, that you simply must draft the BAP-overall at #6 if he falls regardless of need (which really set the rest of the draft up honestly).

But I won't lie or pretend I was 100% behind it later, I would have gone the WR, then OL, then Mannion.  probably will be proven well wrong on all three, but thats what I would have done.

With that said, I'm very pleased overall with how our draft played out.  Got a WR, got a QB prospect, got best player available, filled other needs.  Hard to complain.

Archived