Jets Re-Draft! Since All the Picks Are In, Who Would YOU Choose?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not picking Jaelen Strong in the 3rd might be one we remember for years to come.

It did make sense actually,   Because it was BPA. Because he did not get a fair trade in picks for trading down. Because Brandon Marshall with his injury situation might be an answer for one seaso

No worries. You sure can do that.

This is ridiculous. It was you who trotted out how TJ Graham was a lousy pick around the same range as Posey. I simply corrected yyour nonsense by pointing out who you hadn't mentioned. Your analysis of Marshall is silly as well. Have you actually looked at what his injuries were and whether they suggest a chronic or worsening issue? Have you actually noted that he played through injury last year and still put up very good numbers for games played. Marshall is an elite receiver. He was very very good trade value for what the Jets gave and got. Most of your argument is based on valuation of Strong by media analysts. You're acting like that's gospel. Their opinions are far from it. I'll take what the Jets did ten times over your alternatives. They are simply a lot smarter than you or me. Several moves were actually very very smart.

To argue as if Marshall is some injury prone player while not acknowledging that one of the reasons Strong dropped is because of concerns about a wrist injury is definitely disingenous especially when looking at how few games Marshall has missed over his career compared to a guy who has yet to play a game.   Every report I have seen on Marshall makes no mention of last years injuries so we have to assume he is healthy until proven otherwise. And a healthy Marshall, is about as good as it gets. 

The Jets were never going to take Gregory. From what I've heard, it was the Jets' shrink whose psychological evaluation of Gregory was a disaster. "Difficulty managing adversity" and such like that. Other teams who invited Gregory did their own evaluations but the guy straddles the line between normalcy and serious issues. No thanks.

Thx for the info...if that's the case I dont have the issues passing there. Rounds 3-4 irk me the most anyways. If Smith can turn into a Joey Galloway and not a Devery Henderson, I'm good.

Yup it is Marshall.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/426135

Care to explain that ? Because no where have i said the JETS should not have picked Delvin Smith. Jaelen Strong was available in the 3rd round when the JETS got on the clock.

I had not realized how similar Stong's draft profile was to Marshall and Moncrief (who I liked last year), no insinuation on your view of the Devin Smith pick :)

guess the question is how long do you think Marshall stays productive on the team? If he only lasts a year then maybe the Jets should have taken Strong, but if Marshall is good for another 3 years, I am ok with Mac filling other needs 

I had not realized how similar Stong's draft profile was to Marshall and Moncrief (who I liked last year), no insinuation on your view of the Devin Smith pick :)

guess the question is how long do you think Marshall stays productive on the team? If he only lasts a year then maybe the Jets should have taken Strong, but if Marshall is good for another 3 years, I am ok with Mac filling other needs 

The risk factors or age and injury are always going to remain with Marshall. So even if the JETS get a complete season from him with no injury issues at full throttle going into the season after that they will have to keep mind in his age catching up to his skills and his injury situation. So it's watch as you go along. They have to be prepared if things don't work out which they are not in current situation. 

It did make sense actually,

Because it was BPA.

Because he did not get a fair trade in picks for trading down.

Because Brandon Marshall with his injury situation might be an answer for one season.

Because we did not have much depth at the WR to begin with.

Because Jaelen Strong in Round 3 represented he best steal of this draft.

Because Devin Smith might just end up being a one trick pony. As much as i like the pick he still has to develop as a complete NFL receiver.

Again I was against trading a 5th round pick for Brandon Marshall. That was a BIG mistake. But you do not compound your mistakes by making wrong decisions based on previous wrong decisions.

How in THE hell is trading a 5th round pick for Brandon Marshall?  Worked for two years for us for Santanio Holmes.  That is what this pick will be for.  He gives us a known threat on the field, takes pressure off of Decker, and is now paired with a deep threat guy, who can do just that, and learn for a year.  Next year, we will probably draft another receiver in the 2nd/3rd. 

I honestly do not understand the problem with this.

I don't post here often, but I'm sorry I can't read this garbage anymore.  Brandon Marshall has missed a total of 8 games in 9 seasons.  A guy who has an injury in one season is not injury prone.  It means he was hurt for a part of a year.  The 3 years preceding that he averaged over 1,300 yards and 9 TD's and did not miss a single game.  His one "bad" year he missed 3 games and still put up 721 yards and 8 TD's. 

You talk about hypothetical assertions and then you claim as fact that a guy who has barely missed any time throughout his career is injury prone.  Ridiculous.

Damnit...where is the SUPER like button to click here....

ONLY Jet fans complain about getting a top 10 wide receiver for a 5th round pick. 

• Upvote 1

As much as the Williams pick was BPA, I don't think the Devin Smith pick was.  Devin Smith adding something to the offense that it did not already have.  His skill set is both his speed and his ability to track a long ball.  Geno Smith can thrown the ball long.  Devin Smith adds something to the offense that could win a game or two, or at least make the games more interesting.  Jaelen Strong was not going to do this year.  His skill set is more similar to Decker's and Marshalls, and quite frankly Evans and Enuwa.

I would love to see Evans and Enuwa, and maybe Posey, step in here.   Will the Kerley contract go down as another Idzik error?

We honestly don't know Posey's actual value because he was not used by O'Brien enough to tell. If you think McC doesn't have a good sense of his value even though he picked him and was in the organization, then you don't trust McC.

In the same way, we know nothing about how good or how ready Jaelen Strong will be for the NFL, nor any draft pick. Depending on the ranking you looked at he was all over the boards from low first to late third. I liked him too, but our determination not to go after him or Eli Harold is not in any sense a failure -- it was a choice.

the reason why Jaelen Strong's rankings had such a wide range (and I've read several reports for him) is that some feel he will have issues with separation at the NFL level and therefore has much more bust potential than Smith.  Strong has no where near the separation ability of Smith but has experience with a more diverse route tree array.  The Cimini "one-trick pony" derogatory comment is so typical of that idiot, who has no clue what he's talking about when it comes to evaluating almost anything, so those of you parroting that incredibly ignorant Cimini comment are making yourselves look like morons. The impression I get from the scouting reports on both is that they each have a great upside but that Smiths floor is a lot higher than Strong's.  Because of the offense that Ohio State runs,  Smith's route tree was less diverse, but that is not Smith's fault at all.  Smith has very good hands and is in no way a "body catcher" as claimed by some here at JN.  Smith shows a much better ability to track the ball and is faster and perhaps more athletic.  Film shows both players are more than capable of making the spectacular grab and Smith has done so with consistency.  Both WRs are excellent prospects and it's about 65-35 out there as to who is rated higher, with Smith's rankings being more consistently higher than Strong's.  

IMO, Smith is a better fit for what the Jets are trying to do and what is needed to compliment the Jets other WR's so is therefore the better choice for this team. It might go the other way for another team, depending on who they have in place already. Jaelen Strong will NEVER take the top off a defense the way Smith can and does.  This is exactly what the Jets are missing in the WR position with the exception of some of the speedy scrubs on the roster, none of whom have good hands or can run crisp routes.  One review says that because of Ohio State's limited offensive scheme, Smith has "only scratched the surface" of what he can become.  As for route trees,

Routes  - This is a common area of criticism for Smith, but we see a player who runs clean routes and who has the ability to get a lot better.  Smith demonstrated the ability to work back to the quarterback consistently.  He strikes fear in defenders, and despite being given a large cushion with regularity, he is stil able to get over the top.  One of the reasons for this is the way he gets out of his breaks.  Defenders respect this and that's why Smith's double move can be so devastating.  Smith may not yet run the full tree, but he's on his way, and the routes he does run, are run well.

I believe Smith was the better choice for the Jets in round 2 than Strong.  No one thought that Strong would drop as far into round 3 as he did, so it is quite clear, that Strong was not rated as highly by the GMs as some here at JN think.  Strong would have been a terrific value in the 3rd, but there was no way of knowing he'd still be on the board, so those people here who are criticizing the choice of Smith because Strong could have been gotten in the 3rd are basing that on hindsight of something that was unlikely to happen. Maybe the Jets could have benefited from having both Smith and Strong, but with all the other glaring holes on this team, it is understandable why the Jets went for a different position in the 3rd.  

For those who insist on reusing the trite catch phrase "one-trick pony", you are displaying your ignorance for all to see and, even worse,  your credibility is diminished by parroting our ESPN beat moron, Cimini. Recommendation:  stop embarrassing yourselves with that ignorant remark.

• Upvote 1

You seem to know your stats. So tell me how many games did he play completely healthy last season ? And if he was healthy for all the games he played what explains the significant drop of in his numbers last season.

No matter how he performs this season, the risk factor of injury is always going to be there and it is going to high when a player comes back from an injury prone season.

But then again why should you read garbage. I usually ignore what i consider garbage. I would advice you to do the same.

So now it's a fault for a player to tough it out and play despite an ankle injury that would rule a lot of guys out? I think a guy who in his worst year finished with 8 TD's despite missing 3 games and being hobbled all season is the kind of player an actual fan would want on their team. 

Oh, but since you're so knowledgable on injuries, I did notice he had another injury late in the season to his ribs and lung, which as we all know is definitely a common injury and one that is sure to bother him for the rest of his career.  I was just looking at that list ESPN produced recently that showed all of the players who had a rib and lung injury and could never come back to be the same player they once were.  I would rather him have tore his Achilles or ACL to avoid this football career ending plague that Marshall endured.

So now it's a fault for a player to tough it out and play despite an ankle injury that would rule a lot of guys out? I think a guy who in his worst year finished with 8 TD's despite missing 3 games and being hobbled all season is the kind of player an actual fan would want on their team. 

Oh, but since you're so knowledgable on injuries, I did notice he had another injury late in the season to his ribs and lung, which as we all know is definitely a common injury and one that is sure to bother him for the rest of his career.  I was just looking at that list ESPN produced recently that showed all of the players who had a rib and lung injury and could never come back to be the same player they once were.  I would rather him have tore his Achilles or ACL to avoid this football career ending plague that Marshall endured.

Can i expect a cognitive response here ?

Damnit...where is the SUPER like button to click here....

ONLY Jet fans complain about getting a top 10 wide receiver for a 5th round pick. 

Exactly, I am reading the ish and just shaking my damn head...  

You can't fix slow, and Mauldin is slow.

As for the Stacy move, I am thrilled. Love that kid. And for a 7th rounder. A+ move

He is not slow.  Unless Terrell Suggs is also slow.  

That's a nice way of saying ZERO. But you know in Strong's defense he was still in college.

Yep as he was.  Marshall was busy the last few years being one of the best receivers in football while J. Strong was beating up on college dbs.   I think Strong is going to be good; Marshall already IS. In Devin Smith, the Jets got the player that will have the greatest impact for them next year and beyond.  I wish Strong the best. 

Marshall was busy the last few years being one of the best receivers in football while J. Strong was beating up on college dbs. 

Nice deflection.

So let me ask the question again, So which relevant WR category was he Top 10 in last season ?

Can i expect a cognitive response here?

Thanks, classic deflection technique.  Being defeated sucks, huh? It's a wonder we root for the same team.  You're so into your own senseless beliefs you'd prefer to defend them over being rational.  But I guess without people like you, there would be no irrationality.

Thanks, classic deflection technique.  Being defeated sucks, huh? It's a wonder we root for the same team.  You're so into your own senseless beliefs you'd prefer to defend them over being rational.  But I guess without people like you, there would be no irrationality.

Try again. Send me a cognitive response that actually responds to my post and is not all over the place. I am just giving you the benefit of the doubt till i have none left.

Try again. Send me a cognitive response that actually responds to my post and is not all over the place. I am just giving you the benefit of the doubt till i have none left.

What do I have to answer? How many games he was completely healthy? I'm not his doctor. Unlike you I won't pretend to know things I don't.

What did you answer? How is he injury prone? Nope, you just ignored how he's missed 8 games in 9 years with 3 coming last year.  How even in his worst year with all of the injuries you claim will plague him from here on out, he still produced 8 TD's. 

If you think saying "cognitive response" repeatedly is going to make you look any less like you're just spitting out opinions that are based on nothing substantive, you're wrong. You provided NOTHING for me to respond to.  Only thing you've posted about is your own unsubstantiated beliefs.  There is not an iota of fact present in anything you say.  And yes to answer your original reply to me, I do know my numbers.  Unfortunately for you, numbers mean a lot more than your opinions.

I can't believe nobody mentioned La'el Collins.  I am so pissed the Jets didn't have the balls to select him in the 4th or 5th round.   Passed on him in the 7th was inexcusable!  Getting one of the best O-linemen for a 7th round pick is a no-brainer!  Overall the draft was very good. I would have liked Duke Johnson in the third.

I can't believe nobody mentioned La'el Collins.  I am so pissed the Jets didn't have the balls to select him in the 4th or 5th round.   Passed on him in the 7th was inexcusable!  Getting one of the best O-linemen for a 7th round pick is a no-brainer!  Overall the draft was very good. I would have liked Duke Johnson in the third.

It has been posted ad nauseam, but his people had leaked/announced that if he were drafted after the 3rd round he intended to hold out and re-enter the draft in 2016.   My understanding is that if he re-entered he could only be picked by one of the other 31 teams.  Assuming you believe that he is a first round talent, it would make financial sense since a mid-first rounder will get around $8M guaranteed which is more than the entire contract of a 7ht rounder.  Because of the slots, there is not much wiggle room.

All of this is ignoring the fact that the murder situation was much murkier before Monday and it is not particularly clear right now.

It has been posted ad nauseam, but his people had leaked/announced that if he were drafted after the 3rd round he intended to hold out and re-enter the draft in 2016.   My understanding is that if he re-entered he could only be picked by one of the other 31 teams.  Assuming you believe that he is a first round talent, it would make financial sense since a mid-first rounder will get around $8M guaranteed which is more than the entire contract of a 7ht rounder.  Because of the slots, there is not much wiggle room.

All of this is ignoring the fact that the murder situation was much murkier before Monday and it is not particularly clear right now.

He would not be able to enter the draft next year. The League would not permit it. If a team drafted him in the 7th round, he would have to sign with that team, or not play at all.  On the other hand, the team that drafted him could trade him to another team.  Bottom line, a flyer in the 7th round would have been a good investment. If he was found to be involved with the killing, you cut him!  It's only a 7th round pick. 90% don't make the team anyway!