Three Mid-Round Draft Picks Sign with Jets

Three Mid-Round Draft Picks Sign with Jets

Posted 11 hours ago

2012-randy-lange-headshot-thumb-60x60.pnRandy LangeSenior Reporter, newyorkjets.com@rlangejets Blog: Randy's Radar

•  
  •  
3rd-Round LB Mauldin, 4th-Round QB Petty & 7th-Round DT Simon All Come Aboard

The Jets have signed third-round linebacker Lorenzo Mauldinicon-article-link.gif, fourth-round quarterback Bryce Pettyicon-article-link.gifand seventh-round defensive tackle Deon Simonicon-article-link.gif, who join fifth-rounder Jarvis Harrisonicon-article-link.gif as the first four Jets draft choices to sign contracts.

IMG_0016-article.jpg

Mauldin, a 6’4”, 259-pounder who will play a versatile role for the defense and will also be expected to contribute immediately on special teams, collected 6.5 sacks and 13 TFL last season for the Cards. In 2013, Mauldin lined up at DE for Louisville and collected 9.5 sacks.

“As an edge rush guy, I have been working my butt off to do what I have to do to get to the quarterback,” he told reporters. “I don’t care what I have to do, I take coaching and I take what I have to do to help my defense out. Mainly with the Jets I know…I am at a loss for words right now.”

“He’s a hybrid,” said head coach Todd Bowles. “In certain defenses, he’ll be up and in certain he’ll be down. He brings a level of toughness and depth to a position on the outside, some youth that we can get in and help out our older guys. Eventually we see this guy playing a lot of good football. The tenacity this guy plays with and the toughness he brings, he was perfect for us right at the time we took him.”

The Jets have drafted five Louisville players since 1991 including S Calvin Pryoricon-article-link.gif and RB Bilal Powellicon-article-link.gif. Last Friday, an emotional Mauldin recounted a childhood that brought him to as many as 16 foster homes.

"I've been a foster child my entire life and I just want to show I've grown into a man and grown into a person that really cares about everyone around me,” he said. “Teammates, fans, community, I don't care who it is. I've learned to worry more about others than to just worry about myself. When it comes to people that really need the care, I'm always there regardless of what happened."

IMG_9963-article.jpg

We traded up one spot with Jacksonville near the top of the fourth round Saturday afternoon to grab Petty, the prolific passer from Baylor. To sum up his past two seasons as the Bears' starter in round numbers, the 6'3", 230-pounder rang up 16 games of at least 300 passing yards, five games of at least 400 yards and two 500-yard games. And in those 25 starts the Bears scored 60 points nine times and 70 points four times.

Lining up in the shotgun almost exclusively at Baylor, Petty has heard his share of critics about his transition to a pro-style offense, but he told Jets reporters last week that he has the desire to excel regardless of the system he's in.

"What I was asked to do at college, it’s just what I was told to do, so I did it and I did it to the best of my ability," he said. "Being in another offense, being in another system is part of the game and I want to master that system just like I mastered what we did at college. Simplistic or not, you have to step out there and do it. My job is to be the best I can be and that starts with learning the playbook."

IMG_9987article.jpg

Simon, the 6'4", 332-pounder, came from Northwestern State in Louisiana with our own seventh-round choice Saturday, No. 223 in the draft. He made 19 starts with the Demons the past two seasons, chalking up 5.5 sacks and 12.5 total tackles for loss, then prepped for his strong combine showing (35 benchpress reps, tops among all D-linemen) by working out with Jets second-year linebacker IK Enemkpali.

"Going into college, it was a real struggle of a journey," he told reporters. "But the type of guy I am, I overcame a lot, I kept a good mindset, and I am finally getting my opportunity to play at the next level."

Petty, Simon and the other Jets draft choices, undrafted free agents and tryouts will get exposure to head coach Todd Bowles' playbook, the offense of Chan Gailey and the defense of Kacy Rodgers with the rookie minicamp that runs from Friday through Sunday at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center.

4 down and 2 to go