Backup swing OT Hilliard retires

shuler82

Via rotoworld:

The team announced that Corey Hilliard has retired. Hilliard, who signed with the Jets as a free agent in March, played in 47 games with the Lions and Colts after breaking into the league with Indy in 2007. He was expected to compete for a reserve role with the Jets this offseason.

We're looking pretty thin at OT right now.. Hilliard was our only legit insurance option

Via rotoworld:

The team announced that Corey Hilliard has retired. Hilliard, who signed with the Jets as a free agent in March, played in 47 games with the Lions and Colts after breaking into the league with Indy in 2007. He was expected to compete for a reserve role with the Jets this offseason.

We're looking pretty thin at OT right now.. Hilliard was our only legit insurance option

They still have the same swing tackle as the past two years - Ben Ijalana.  Behind him they have Hooey and Qvale.  They are both UDFA types, but literally every single G option has experience at T.  Carpenter, Colon and Brewer have all played T in the NFL and on some decent teams (Seahawks, Steelers and Giants).  Dozier, Aboushi, Winters, Harrison and Wesley Johnson (Steelers 2014 5th rounder) all played T for at least part of their college careers. FWIW (not much) the team only lists Carpenter, Colon and Winters as G, with Dozier, Aboushi, Brewer and Wesley Johnson are listed as "OL"  Not the strongest unit on the team, but I think that some of the guys we list at G are as at least as good an option at tackle as most bodies we could find now listed as tackle.

They still have the same swing tackle as the past two years - Ben Ijalana.  Behind him they have Hooey and Qvale.  They are both UDFA types, but literally every single G option has experience at T.  Carpenter, Colon and Brewer have all played T in the NFL and on some decent teams (Seahawks, Steelers and Giants).  Dozier, Aboushi, Winters, Harrison and Wesley Johnson (Steelers 2014 5th rounder) all played T for at least part of their college careers. FWIW (not much) the team only lists Carpenter, Colon and Winters as G, with Dozier, Aboushi, Brewer and Wesley Johnson are listed as "OL"  Not the strongest unit on the team, but I think that some of the guys we list at G are as at least as good an option as tackle as most bodies we could find now listed as tackle.

Of all the imports, I think Carpenter worries me the most.  Got a lot of money, not the most consistent guy in the world and got killed by the Pats in the SB.

We have a lot of young bodies in camp which is a good thing,  but I honestly believe the plan is to go hard after one of the O lineman cuts coming soon. There are teams who's tough decisions will be the O line and we will be there to scoop up the trash er... um... player. 

Archived