Rookie MiniCamp Tweets (UPDATED: DAY 2)

JETSfaninNE

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This guy is so boring. I love it.

Who the hell is the Jets cameraman there.  sh*t pay me to film this crap.  You never frame a subject with that much light spill from the background.  Total screw up on exposure there.

QB Bryce Petty impresses in New York Jets' rookie camp

9m

Rich Cimini, ESPN New York Jets reporter

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Bryce Petty took a few baby steps Friday, his first day in an NFL-style offense. He huddled. He took snaps from under center. He stepped out of his Baylor cocoon, the cushy world of a spread offense, and he crushed it on Day 1 of the New York Jets' rookie camp.

Now for some perspective: It was Playbook 101, the basics of the basics, and there was no contact in practice. That's important to know because a live pass rush can turn a rifle arm into a noodle arm. We won't know that about Petty until the preseason, but he passed his first throwing test, slinging the ball with velocity and accuracy during seven-on-seven drills. There was a hiccup on his final throw -- a hurried pass that was intercepted and returned for a touchdown -- but it still was a positive day for the fourth-round pick.

Bryce Petty showed off his quick release during the Jets' Friday workout. Brad Penner/USA TODAY Sports

"He has all the intangibles, but that word is thrown around so much," coach Todd Bowles said after practice. "It's sort of the new word for 'potential.'"

Translation: Bowles needs to see a lot more from Petty before he starts throwing around flowery compliments.

Petty has a quick release, a compact delivery and a strong enough arm. He threw 61 touchdowns and only 10 interceptions in his final two seasons at Baylor. As Bowles said, "You have to admit, that's pretty good." It sure is, but he wouldn't have lasted until the 103rd pick if he were deemed a sure thing. It was Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota and everybody else, according to the experts.

Clearly, Petty aspires to be greater than the "everybody else" category.

"That's their opinion," he said. "I know what I am. I know what I want to do here. All that stuff is in the past now. It's all about what we do here."

The knock on Petty is that he's a system quarterback, and it's not an unfair perception because he played in a system -- an uptempo, no-huddle attack -- that minimized the quarterback's decision-making. In fact, he ran a no-huddle on 78 percent of his plays in college, according to ESPN Stats & Information. He rarely took a snap from under center; 97 percent of his career dropbacks were taken from a shotgun or pistol formation.

Petty said he's looking forward to learning the Jets' system, admitting he'll "be able to play quarterback a little bit." On Friday, he was allowed to read off a play card in the huddle -- a first-day cheat sheet. There were only a couple of glitches at the line of scrimmage, which was to be expected on Day 1. The bottom line is, he looked like he belonged.

So, go ahead, call him a system quarterback.

"Hey, if they're not talking about you," he said, "that's when I need to be worried."

That looks awful.  His leg folded up the wrong way, non-contact ... will likely be bad news

Anyone know if Fowler signed his contract yet? And are the Jags on the hook if he blew out his knee?  Could they technically cut and run before paying the man if it were to be Dustin Keller bad? 

9 observations from first day of Jets rookie minicamp

Dom Cosentino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

on May 08, 2015 at 5:33 PM, updated May 08, 2015 at 6:14 PM

FLORHAM PARK — The Jets on Friday began their three-day rookie minicamp. (Here's a look at the players who are participating this weekend.) While it's too early to draw sweeping conclusions about the Jets' draft picks, here are nine things we noticed at Friday's practice:

1. Leonard Williams looked quick. The defensive end was the Jets' first-round draft pick, so we know he is talented. (Here's more on what coach Todd Bowles noticed about Williams on Day 1.) It's worth noting that Williams was going up against a patchwork line of inexperienced players, some of whom have no chance to make the Jets' final roster. But during one team period, Williams displayed some savvy by not biting on a play-action fake. Williams was able to burst into the backfield and get in quarterback Bryce Petty's face. Again, it's early, and the competition won't be great for Williams this weekend, but there were no glaring negatives in Williams' play Friday — to no surprise.

2. Bryce Petty was mostly sharp. The fourth-round pick throws a nice ball. First, let's examine some of his positive developments Friday. He seems to have a nice rapport with quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo, who offered Petty pointers after most plays, though Patullo was also responsible for delivering the next play's call to Petty. On the aforementioned play during which Williams got in his face, Petty calmly delivered a quick throw to tight end Steve Borden. Earlier, Petty extended his arm to corral an errant shotgun snap. During a period with no offensive or defensive lines, Petty dropped a beautiful mid-range throw over coverage that tight end Wes Saxton dropped. Then Petty threaded passes to tight end Mike Flacco and wide receiver Jarrod West, through close coverage. But Petty also foolishly hurled up a deep ball into double coverage. It would've been an interception, but safety Ty Zimmerman dropped the ball. Soon thereafter, cornerback Dashaun Phillips jumped in front of receiver A.J. Jenkins to pick off a Petty pass, thrown under pressure. Phillips ran the pick back for a touchdown. But for the most part, Petty was solid Friday.

3. What did Bowles think of Petty? Here's what the coach had to say: "He throws the ball pretty good. He's got a quick release. He's got a nice touch. The same things he showed in college." As for Petty having to work under center more now, Bowles said, "I think it's an adjustment. I don't think it's a far adjustment. He's not changing sports and coming in raw. He has to take snaps under center. He has to learn what to do — no different than most of the other quarterbacks that come in now, because most of the quarterbacks coming out of college are shotgun quarterbacks. That doesn't mean they're bad quarterbacks. That just means they have a learning process." Bowles did say that huddling, and relaying plays in that manner, "shouldn't be a problem" for Petty, since he is an intelligent and assertive player.

4. Devin Smith can catch deep balls. This much we knew already. But the Jets' second-round draft pick, a receiver from Ohio State, proved his strength on Friday. He hauled in a 40-yard deep ball from Jake Heaps, with Phillips in coverage. It was a pretty throw and catch. Smith also showed good extension a shorter sideline throw from Petty, who had to place the pass high. Smith reached up and yanked it down.

NFL Draft 2015: Darryl Slater's grades for all of the Jets' picks

5. Rough day for former star. Jenkins, a receiver, was a first-round pick by the 49ers in 2012, No. 30 overall. He didn't look all that impressive Friday. He had at least one ball glance of his hands. Of course, you don't go from being a first-round pick to a rookie minicamp tryout guy in three years by catching everything that comes your way.

6. Watchful eyes. Not surprisingly, the Jets' senior director of college scouting, Rex Hogan, was at Friday's practice. He watched from the sideline and spent some time talking with Bowles. Hogan knows a lot about many of these players at the rookie minicamp.

7. Shaky showing by familiar name. Last year, former Jets general manager John Idzik drafted three receivers: Jalen Saunders, Shaq Evans and Quincy Enunwa. The draft was loaded with receivers, but none of these three guys have done anything for the Jets. They cut Saunders in late September. Evans, to be fair, missed all of last season with a shoulder injury. Enunwa was a sixth-round pick who spent last season on the practice squad. On Friday, Enunwa dropped a pass while trying to run before he secured it. He later had a deep ball go off his hands. If he keeps this up, he won't be on the team at all after training camp.

8. One transactional note. This is fairly minor, but the Jets on Friday signed undrafted free agent cornerback Greg Henderson (Colorado) and released linebacker Mario Harvey, who joined their practice squad in mid-December. Henderson is the ninth undrafted free agent to sign with the Jets this year. Here are the previous eight.

9. Famous relatives. Flacco (New Haven) is the younger brother of Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco. (Mike Flacco had a drop on Friday.) He isn't the only tryout player at the rookie minicamp with a famous relative. Linebacker Chase Williams (Virginia Tech) is the son of Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who was suspended by the NFL for his role in the Saints' bounty scandal. Borden, a tight end from Kentucky, is the son of the professional wrestler Sting, whose real name is Steve Borden Sr.

OSU coach Urban Meyer is at Yankee Stadium. He was asked about Jets WR Devin Smith: "He’s a tremendous player ..." #nyj

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz  29m29 minutes ago
More Meyer on Smith: "the best deep ball player I’ve ever had,  and we’ve had some great ones. ..." #nyj

Brian Costello @BrianCoz
Meyer on Smith: "He adjusts to it well, dynamic speed a very good kid and he’s a difference maker.’’ #nyj

Question:  I know the CBA limits when players can have contact with the coaches.   Now that the mini camps have started can a young player, like say Petty, hang around the complex and watch film with the QB's coach?

Question:  I know the CBA limits when players can have contact with the coaches.   Now that the mini camps have started can a young player, like say Petty, hang around the complex and watch film with the QB's coach?

This is a good question but I'm not sure.  I'm pretty sure they can now after this mini-camp and if they have all school obligations completed.

This is a good question but I'm not sure.  I'm pretty sure they can now after this mini-camp and if they have all school obligations completed.

That's what logic would dictate, but the CBA rules on this IMO are very illogical.     Veterans don't like it when aggressive rookies, who could take their jobs, are spending a lot of time working with the coaches 

Devin Smith was asked about his Odell Beckham-type catch vs. Miami in 2012: 

So which was the better catch, according to Devin Smith?

"Probably mine," he said with a smile.

Anyone know if Fowler signed his contract yet? And are the Jags on the hook if he blew out his knee? Could they technically cut and run before paying the man if it were to be Dustin Keller bad?

Don't know the answer to this ... But I did hear that the kids are covered from injury even if they haven't signed the contract yet ... Whether it's the team, the NFL, or a 3rd party insurance co ... The kid will still get paid

Anyone know if Fowler signed his contract yet? And are the Jags on the hook if he blew out his knee?  Could they technically cut and run before paying the man if it were to be Dustin Keller bad? 

There is language in the CBA about that.  Have to make a fair contract in good faith.  Otherwise no rookie would ever do anything until his contract is signed.

James Walker ✔@JamesWalkerNFL
Former #Dolphins HOF coach Don Shula speaks on the team's 50 seasons and jokes, "We didn't deflate any balls."

Needed to include this one since I love seeing rivals take jabs at each other :)

I really like the fact that Devin Smith conducts himself professionally after scoring a TD... kinda' like Curtis Martin.

Just hands or tosses the ball the ref... no trashy dances, no taunting the defender... just a couple of chest thumps and back to the huddle or sideline.

Devin Smith was asked about his Odell Beckham-type catch vs. Miami in 2012: 

So which was the better catch, according to Devin Smith?

"Probably mine," he said with a smile.

Manish Mehta ✔@MMehtaNYDN
Jets rookie minicamp update: Perfect pass by a member of the Maccagnan 6. Dropped by a member of the Idzik 12 #nyj

Just needed to put a tweet from everyones fav beat writer :tongue:

Just a tool

When is day 2 tweets coming in?

I thought they would have started already but I'm not seeing anything and I couldn't find confirmation that they were starting at 1pm again today.  I'm assuming they have started since Bowles has another presser at 3:00 est today.

EDIT: My guess is the media has realized that the Jets are a professional sports org again and no longer a circus so why bother going out there anymore :tongue:

EDIT2: I tweeted Eric Allen for confirmation so waiting to hear back.

Archived