Official Roster Prediction Thread - Always Updated

DaBallhawk

Devin is a pure outside receiver at this point. Our top slot guys right now would be Kerley & Marshall.

I think Devin can definetly play in slot he has the speed and shiftiness to do it . But in most situations to add in the Deep threat . Marshal or decker will slide into the slot . But I see him and Kerley rotating at the 3 and 4 all year .

I think Devin can definetly play in slot he has the speed and shiftiness to do it . But in most situations to add in the Deep threat . Marshal or decker will slide into the slot . But I see him and Kerley rotating at the 3 and 4 all year .

In the slot you'd generally want somebody with experience, great hands, toughness, who understands coverages and can play in the open field. Size and speed really aren't that relevant. That's why all these older guys play in the slot when they lose a step. They get smarter, they develop better hands, they understand defenses better and so they're more effective in the slot. Outside it's too easy to just take away an older guy. He's not gonna beat you deep. When you match up Dee with Boldin you can be sure that Dee will always gamble on a slant or a comeback/curl because even if he does bite on a double move and Boldin goes deep, Dee can still recover he's just that fast. In the slot you don't have that luxury. The receiver has a million different options, way more room. I don't see Devin being that guy. He's got no chemistry yet with the QB's, he doesn't have any NFL experience. I don't know how good his hands are or how tough he is over the middle. Maybe he'll develop into that guy in a few years but at this point in 3-4 WR sets just line him up outside and let him go deep, throw him a screen and stuff like that. Marshall/Kerley are great slot guys, we don't need him there right now. We need him outside as a deep threat, that's what we've been lacking the last few years.

Maybe with some progressive eye wear, you can see Eric Decker in the slot instead.

Brilliant idea, take the guy who was injured every other game last season and put him in a position where he will be getting hit constantly by big linebackers, not to mention I couldn't imagine Decker being much better in the slot than Kerley is.

If we cut anyone, we get no compensation. Only a UFA will get you compensatory draft picks. If a trade the best we could hope for would be a 6th rounder.

I'm talking about trade compensation.  I imagine on the open market Kerley only nets us a 3rd rounder at best in a trade.  I don't agree with your assessment of a 6th rounder.  So we'll split the difference and say that the truth is probably in the middle, 4th-5th.  Not worth it at all.

Maybe with some progressive eye wear, you can see Eric Decker in the slot instead.

Pointless.  Keep Kerley, let Devin Smith take some time to develop.  Why force square pegs into round holes if you don't have to, all in the name of saving one roster spot for somewhere else?

Real nice job Ballhawk. 

I really hope Oswu makes this roster.  I am guessing Milliner starts the season the PUP list. 

This is the deepest team we have had in awhile. Going to be a-lot of hard cuts.

I think he will. I think the Jets keep six WRs, with Owusu and Graham ahead of Evans, Enunwa, and Posey. Those last three guys will have to demonstrate some special teams ability to stick. Jets specials have been on a serious decline for years. They need bodies there.

Considering the time of year and my general argumentative nature, I am shockingly okay with this roster.  I don't see those 7 WRs but mostly minor nit picking.  I would say that if you are picking practice squad Eskridge is an obvious choice.  Tremendous talent and need seasoning.  Exactly the reason the PS was invented.  Well, that and to throw the NFLPA a bone.

Cap hit is what it costs to cut a guy, dead money is the amount of money that you are paying the guy not to play.  They are related.  For instance, Revis has a 2015 cap hit of $16M, but if they cut him there is $41M in dead money.  That means it costs $25M more to cut him than to keep him on the roster for 2015.  Ferguson has an $11M cap figure and $9M in dead money, meaning that to cut him they would save $2M compared to keeping him on the roster.  My numbers are approximate.  The real figures and salaries going forward can be found at Jason's site:  http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets  

Added UDFA QB Jake Heaps to the roster who was signed today.

I'm not a cap expert, does anybody know the difference between "dead money" and "cap hit"? Which number is more important when cutting players?

Basically the same thing except with dead money the player is no longer on the team.  At least that's my interpretation.

Also I am happy to see we signed this kid Heaps.  I am as done as I can get with Matt Simms.

Thanks for doing this!

A few comments:

- You have 54 players listed (26 on offense, 25 on D, and 3 on specials).  You should probably come down to 6 WRs, no?

- I seriously doubt that McDougle will go on PUP - an ACL tear should be healed already I would think...  Milliner with his achilles - maybe...

- (You forgot your rookie symbol next to Leonard Williams)

Considering the time of year and my general argumentative nature, I am shockingly okay with this roster.  I don't see those 7 WRs but mostly minor nit picking.  I would say that if you are picking practice squad Eskridge is an obvious choice.  Tremendous talent and need seasoning.  Exactly the reason the PS was invented.  Well, that and to throw the NFLPA a bone.

Cap hit is what it costs to cut a guy, dead money is the amount of money that you are paying the guy not to play.  They are related.  For instance, Revis has a 2015 cap hit of $16M, but if they cut him there is $41M in dead money.  That means it costs $25M more to cut him than to keep him on the roster for 2015.  Ferguson has an $11M cap figure and $9M in dead money, meaning that to cut him they would save $2M compared to keeping him on the roster.  My numbers are approximate.  The real figures and salaries going forward can be found at Jason's site:  http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets  

Thanks, I think I got it now. Will add the cap numbers later today.

Basically the same thing except with dead money the player is no longer on the team.  At least that's my interpretation.

Also I am happy to see we signed this kid Heaps.  I am as done as I can get with Matt Simms.

Thanks.

Thanks for doing this!

A few comments:

- You have 54 players listed (26 on offense, 25 on D, and 3 on specials).  You should probably come down to 6 WRs, no?

- I seriously doubt that McDougle will go on PUP - an ACL tear should be healed already I would think...  Milliner with his achilles - maybe...

- (You forgot your rookie symbol next to Leonard Williams)

Much appreciated, and fixed. All of it. :character0069:

Alright, just added the estimated cap savings/hit we'd take by releasing/trading a player.

- Went with 6 receivers and placed Shaq Evans on the practice squad instead.

- Colon's spot seems to be safe? He virtually makes no money and we'd gain almost nothing by cutting him. If you put that against his experience and what he brings to the table (solid backup, leadership etc.) I think he probably makes the team. Winters might be a goner though.

- Either Pace or Babin (possibly both) are gone I think. Too old, too expensive, don't play special teams. We might as well go with guys like Reilly, Mauldin, IK etc. instead who do bring special teams value as well as pass rush and a lower cap figure.

- Cumby is probably gone, too. We could save almost 2 mil. by cutting him. And he really hasn't added anything to this team the last couple years. He can't block or play special teams and we have better or similar receivers in Jace & Sudfeld. Sudfeld I think is a stud on special teams as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick post OTA update.

- The coaches seem to love Owusu, especially on special teams so I moved him up a few spots. I think as of now he's a near lock to make the team if he keeps it up.

- Evans probably gets cut, he's been awful so far during OTA's.

- If we carry only 6 receivers that final spot might be between Enunwa & TJ Graham but with Owusu making it we don't need more return men (Graham). Enunwa has major upside as a receiver.

- Cumby has been lining up with the starters (blocking TE), so I'm sure he makes the team. Not sure if we carry 3 TE's?

- I have 6 interior O-Linemen up there. Not sure who that last one is gonna be. Freeman? Colon? Winters?

- At OLB I'm not sure if Reilly makes it, but I have him in for now.

- At ILB I have Lattimore in there as the third ILB. He had a pick 6 in camp, that's pretty much the only reason why I moved him up over Henderson. Plus he's a great special teams player.

- I also took Dex off PUP, it seems like he's already a full go. Dee might start off at PUP however.

- Rontez Miles sounds like he could make the team as the 5th safety. Decent backup with special teams value.

With 6 mil. in cap room left we will have to cut some veterans to create more cap room I guess if we want to extend Mo. Babin & Pace are prime candidates. As well as Cumby and Ridley.

Quick post OTA update.

- The coaches seem to love Owusu, especially on special teams so I moved him up a few spots. I think as of now he's a near lock to make the team if he keeps it up.

- Evans probably gets cut, he's been awful so far during OTA's.

- If we carry only 6 receivers that final spot might be between Enunwa & TJ Graham but with Owusu making it we don't need more return men (Graham). Enunwa has major upside as a receiver.

- Cumby has been lining up with the starters (blocking TE), so I'm sure he makes the team. Not sure if we carry 3 TE's?

- I have 6 interior O-Linemen up there. Not sure who that last one is gonna be. Freeman? Colon? Winters?

- At OLB I'm not sure if Reilly makes it, but I have him in for now.

- At ILB I have Lattimore in there as the third ILB. He had a pick 6 in camp, that's pretty much the only reason why I moved him up over Henderson. Plus he's a great special teams player.

- I also took Dex off PUP, it seems like he's already a full go. Dee might start off at PUP however.

- Rontez Miles sounds like he could make the team as the 5th safety. Decent backup with special teams value.

With 6 mil. in cap room left we will have to cut some veterans to create more cap room I guess if we want to extend Mo. Babin & Pace are prime candidates. As well as Cumby and Ridley.

I've been a BIG fan of Owusu since last year. Glad to see he's working hard. Hope you're right about Miles... kids been through a lot and love these kind of young men. Was looking at his NFL Profile

6'0" /202/ 33" arms and 10.25" hands and runs in the 4.56 range and really lays the wood.

Here's something I would consider. Since this new regime is interested in multi talented players, is there a chance that a player like Taiwan Jones  or Erin Henderson who could play inside or outside, makes the squad over a player like Riley and or Pace who are just outside players ? 

Can the Jets afford to keep Pace and his salary over a youngster who offers more versatility  and less leadership ?

Not sure cutting Babin and Pace would save cap space,  I think there is guaranteed money involved with both contracts

Maybe a trade?

There's virtually no money guaranteed with those 2, they're both in the final year of their 2 year deal and each of them have a really small bonus we'd have to pay them (around 100k). But we'd save around 3 mil. in salaries by cutting them. Cumby would add another 2 mil. I think in cap space.

Here's something I would consider. Since this new regime is interested in multi talented players, is there a chance that a player like Taiwan Jones  or Erin Henderson who could play inside or outside, makes the squad over a player like Riley and or Pace who are just outside players ? 

Can the Jets afford to keep Pace and his salary over a youngster who offers more versatility  and less leadership ?

Pace is garbage, at this point he's basically just an experienced guy to have around. He serves no purpose anymore on gameday. He can't rush the passer, he can't cover, he can't play special teams. The only thing he can do is play the run a little bit, and he's not great at that either. I hope he doesn't stick around. He's probably a nice guy and everything but it makes no sense. Harris is enough of a leader, Revis is a great leader, Gilchrist probably is, and then you have the guys up front like Sheldon, Mo, Coples, Snacks. We don't need Babin & Pace anymore to "lead". DD is also developing into a leader.

There's virtually no money guaranteed with those 2, they're both in the final year of their 2 year deal and each of them have a really small bonus we'd have to pay them (around 100k). But we'd save around 3 mil. in salaries by cutting them. Cumby would add another 2 mil. I think in cap space.

Excellent, looks like $250k in option bonuses, mixed info between 125k each or 250k each but I had remembered a thread from Feb when there was concern that Mac committed to these two contracts, when he really just bought some insurance, more intrigue for training camp    

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/update/25068843/jets-pick-up-options-on-jason-babin-calvin-pace-for-2015

http://overthecap.com/jets-decline-option-chris-johnson/

Looks pretty good, I would be surprised if Powell beats out both Stacy and Ridley though I could see one of them being #2 and Powell at either 3 or 4 even with his extension. I also think Sudfeild is on the roster could see him and Saxton swapping places as Saxton is young and raw (not that Sudfield isn't but atleast he has some experience now). Will be interesting to see how things get shaken up after training camp, if Mcdougle can stay healthy I could see Bowels using his as a hybrid safety type like he did with the honey badger in Arizona.

Looks pretty good, I would be surprised if Powell beats out both Stacy and Ridley though I could see one of them being #2 and Powell at either 3 or 4 even with his extension. I also think Sudfeild is on the roster could see him and Saxton swapping places as Saxton is young and raw (not that Sudfield isn't but atleast he has some experience now). Will be interesting to see how things get shaken up after training camp, if Mcdougle can stay healthy I could see Bowels using his as a hybrid safety type like he did with the honey badger in Arizona.

And unlike the honey badger won't get his daughter pregnant.. :winking0001:

Tweaked a few things.

- Moved up TE Sudfeld, I think he's pretty much a lock.

- Ridley is off the roster now, I don't see us carrying 4 big bruising backs. Him and Stacy are banged up.

- 7 Receivers, I'm not sure we will carry that many, depends on the other positions of course.

- I moved up Colon and pushed Dalton Freeman off the roster, he sounds like a goner. Dozier has gotten reps at center, Winters as well. They can play guard, center, and probably some RT as well. Freeman is a pure center which doesn't help him.

- With Mo & Sheldon missing DE Talley is working with the starters (as well as Douzable). He played under Bowles in Arizona, I think he's a wild card to make the team as the 4th or 5th DE.

- What about TJ Barnes? A Rex Ryan favorite, you have to wonder if Bowles likes him as much. We drafted a potential #2 NT in Deon Simon. Do we carry 3 nose tackles? I doubt it. Sheldon & Mo can play inside, it's a waste of a roster spot. Maybe we can trade Barnes to the Bills.

- Pushed Pace & Babin off the roster, although I think Babin has a higher chance to make it. He's still a decent situational pass rusher. But Taiwan is more versatile and he's great on special teams so I moved him up instead.

- Added Rontez to the practice squad.

I would say Heaps is a lock for PS right now. They definitely see something they like.

Think Wes Saxton has good chance to unseat Cumberland at TE position if he has any blocking ability whatsoever. 

Owusu definitely seems like almost a lock based on OTA reports and his role on special teams.

I would say Heaps is a lock for PS right now. They definitely see something they like.

Think Wes Saxton has good chance to unseat Cumberland at TE position if he has any blocking ability whatsoever. 

Owusu definitely seems like almost a lock based on OTA reports and his role on special teams.

Saxton is a terrible blocker at this point and very undersized, I doubt he makes the team considering the other 3 TE's are better receivers and blockers.

Marshall's cap figure for this season was what before this restructure ?   It is presently at 9mill for this yr if Jason's #s are correct.

Wilkerson's cap figure for this season is 7 mil and it already apart of the existing cap. A new contract would lessen his cap figure for this year, possibly increase his salary for this season but add more money and years to the future cap .

I guess what I want to know is did the Jets give Marshall more years to his contract, more salary for this season and also increased his cap hit for the season ?  Why would a responsible franchise do such a thing ?

Marshall's cap figure for this season was what before this restructure ?   It is presently at 9mill for this yr if Jason's #s are correct.

Wilkerson's cap figure for this season is 7 mil and it already apart of the existing cap. A new contract would lessen his cap figure for this year, possibly increase his salary for this season but add more money and years to the future cap .

I guess what I want to know is did the Jets give Marshall more years to his contract, more salary for this season and also increased his cap hit for the season ?  Why would a responsible franchise do such a thing ?

Jets wide receiver Brandon Marshall is set to make more money after the team reworked his contract, per ESPN.com.

Marshall's contract, which was worth $24.3 million over the next three seasons, now has a maximum value of $26 million, including an additional $1.3 million in full guarantees.

Marshall was scheduled to earn up to $7.7 million this season, which included his base salary and a workout bonus. He will now earn $9 million.

Overall, Marshall's restructured deal allows him to earn $2.7 million more in the next two years, but he can potentially earn $1 million less in 2017 than he was previously scheduled.

As for why we did this, there was at least one more team that tried to trade for Marshall, so in order for us to get him we had to sweeten the deal just enough. I think we'll be fine, this is probably just a 2-3 year thing with Marshall. History shows us that he always wears out his welcome after 2-3 years. Broncos, Dolphins, Bears, now with us the way we structured his contract it's probably another 2-3 year thing again.

Archived