Tom Brady Suspended 4 games, Pats forfeit 2016 1st rounder and 2017 4th rounder

AVM

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@AdamSchefter 2m2 minutes ago

Roger Goodell and Patriots owner Robert Kraft already have met, spoke and even hugged, per an industry source who witnessed it.

Gee no surprise there.  So ******* sad.  The whole thing was staged.  Gotta give it to Kraft.  he knows ho to pimp a bitch. 

His one failing is his refusal to work with a vocal coach. He sounded great as recently as the S&A tour. 

Yup.  I'm still figuring out the best place to see them, either MSG, Philly or the Prudential Center.  Hell, it would be my son's first concert.  So I might even consider going up to Toronto in their old stomping grounds.  

Have a blast on thursday.

Yup.  I'm still figuring out the best place to see them, either MSG, Philly or the Prudential Center.  Hell, it would be my son's first concert.  So I might even consider going up to Toronto in their old stomping grounds.  

Have a blast on thursday.

Having seen them around 40 times and in some legendary venues like the Hollywood Bowl and the old Spectrum, I can tell you firsthand, nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, beats Rush at MSG. 

Saw them there in 2011 on the Time Machine Tour. Floor seats, by the encore we were right up front. INSANE. 

Per Schefter:

For those asking why Patriots suspended two employees if those two did nothing wrong, as New England claims: NFL asked Pats to suspend them prior to discipline being handed down, per a league source in New York. New England obliged with the NFL's request.

Per Schefter:

I always liked Scheffer but he certainly seems to have taken a strong pro-Patriot position with much of this.

Even his recent report that the suspension is likely to be completely overturned....it's like he's setting the stage for that to happen.

This whole thing is starting to feel more and more like the Pats are going to get their way after all and this penalty was staged to appease the fan base yet not harm the Pats.

i wonder if the nfl is negotiating to reduce brady's suspension if they admit guilt. 

You might be onto something. Goodell could try to spin it as "coming clean has its rewards before the Merciful Crown"

Having seen them around 40 times and in some legendary venues like the Hollywood Bowl and the old Spectrum, I can tell you firsthand, nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, beats Rush at MSG. 

Saw them there in 2011 on the Time Machine Tour. Floor seats, by the encore we were right up front. INSANE. 

Wow.  40 times?!  :love0030:

Thanks for the MSG recommendation.  Yeah, that's what I said to my wife earlier.   Next is booking some tickets for the gig.  My son is going to flip.

There better not be a backroom deal to reduce the penalty on the Pats-Goodell you would lose all credibility

What penalty? The pats save a net of $600k, Brady gets to be healthy for last 12 games of the season plus playoffs. The draft picks aren't a big deal.

What penalty? The pats save a net of $600k, Brady gets to be healthy for last 12 games of the season plus playoffs. The draft picks aren't a big deal.

I have a gut feel, Brady gets season ending injury 1st few weeks back this year..

They might mitigate by letting the pats keep the 1st - it's really the only substantive part of the penalty the rest isn't even a wrist slap.

The pick is gone, so is the money. The Pats acctepted the punishment they got. The question now is whether sh*thead sticks by his decision to suspend Brady for 4 games or if he's allowed to play for whatever reason.

The pick is gone, so is the money. The Pats acctepted the punishment they got. The question now is whether sh*thead sticks by his decision to suspend Brady for 4 games or if he's allowed to play for whatever reason.

Brady serves the suspension. He's 38 and has had leg issues over the years the 4 game suspension is actually good.

Mumbles should have gotten suspended instead.

Probably going to reduce to 2 games.  This entire suspension was rigged.  There was never hard feelings between Kraft and Goodell.  They both knew from the get go how they would play this whole thing out.  We just saw part 2 and part 3 (reducing Brady's suspension) is on the way.  

Sport may be dismissed as inconsequential child's play, but there is, in counterpoint, the ideal that sport is our best model for human fairness and equality — a Garden of Eden with competition. But, of course, there are snakes in this athletic garden. Rules will be broken.

To my mind there are, in ascending order, three kinds of transgressions. The first is the most simple: transgressions committed in the heat of the action, instinctively, because of frustration, failure or anger. There are referees to tend to that misconduct.

The second type of violation falls more in the realm of regulation. For example, who is eligible to play? There are age restrictions in youth sport and academic requirements in college. Also, as with any civil enterprise, sport can deny entrance to the garden to anyone who misbehaves in the public sphere. For instance: Thou shalt not batter women or children. Alas, that is famously more honored in the breach.

And then there is the third type: violations against the very nature of the game. These are invariably premeditated. In any sport, once the lines are drawn, what we have on the field are, in toto, athletes and the proper equipment.

In religious terms, these are the priests and the relics, and to deface or distort either is not just an infraction, but a contamination. That's why athletes who take performance-enhancing drugs and those who would maliciously alter the equipment are considered sacrilegious.

In hindsight, all of us made a terrible mistake in looking upon someone like Gaylord Perry — a pitcher infamous for loading up his deliveries with what we quaintly call "foreign substances" — as a sassy, picaresque figure, who was merely tilting at the windmills of authority. But that view is nonsense. Perry and his ilk did not abuse baseballs; they abused baseball.

So, even if it was no more than an illegal puff of air that was willfully, with foresight, removed from the New England Patriots' footballs — with Tom Brady's direction or mere acquiescence — Brady is guilty of purposely defiling the very artifacts that make the game fair and square. It is not enough to say that everybody cheats a little, or that, gee, there wasn't all that much difference in the balls, or that people are picking on the poor Patriots.

Games are played by naturally gifted people using authorized equipment. If either is illegally distorted, it's not just a crime against the game but a wound to the whole essence of sport.

Sport may be dismissed as inconsequential child's play, but there is, in counterpoint, the ideal that sport is our best model for human fairness and equality — a Garden of Eden with competition. But, of course, there are snakes in this athletic garden. Rules will be broken.

To my mind there are, in ascending order, three kinds of transgressions. The first is the most simple: transgressions committed in the heat of the action, instinctively, because of frustration, failure or anger. There are referees to tend to that misconduct.

The second type of violation falls more in the realm of regulation. For example, who is eligible to play? There are age restrictions in youth sport and academic requirements in college. Also, as with any civil enterprise, sport can deny entrance to the garden to anyone who misbehaves in the public sphere. For instance: Thou shalt not batter women or children. Alas, that is famously more honored in the breach.

And then there is the third type: violations against the very nature of the game. These are invariably premeditated. In any sport, once the lines are drawn, what we have on the field are, in toto, athletes and the proper equipment.

In religious terms, these are the priests and the relics, and to deface or distort either is not just an infraction, but a contamination. That's why athletes who take performance-enhancing drugs and those who would maliciously alter the equipment are considered sacrilegious.

In hindsight, all of us made a terrible mistake in looking upon someone like Gaylord Perry — a pitcher infamous for loading up his deliveries with what we quaintly call "foreign substances" — as a sassy, picaresque figure, who was merely tilting at the windmills of authority. But that view is nonsense. Perry and his ilk did not abuse baseballs; they abused baseball.

So, even if it was no more than an illegal puff of air that was willfully, with foresight, removed from the New England Patriots' footballs — with Tom Brady's direction or mere acquiescence — Brady is guilty of purposely defiling the very artifacts that make the game fair and square. It is not enough to say that everybody cheats a little, or that, gee, there wasn't all that much difference in the balls, or that people are picking on the poor Patriots.

Games are played by naturally gifted people using authorized equipment. If either is illegally distorted, it's not just a crime against the game but a wound to the whole essence of sport.

Interesting post, though I disagree with your hierarchy. The most egregious, anti-competitive, violation in competitive sports IMO falls into your second category, namely the use of an ineligible "ringer" (or its professional analog, violating the salary cap). That is borne out by the draconian penalties at the amateur level (usually forfeiture of all games) and at the professional level (see, eg, the staggering penalties assessed by David Stern against the T'Wolves) for violating these rules.

Kraft would never take that deal, as he appears convinced that the Patriots did nothing wrong other than sideline videotaping. 

Realistically, I'm guessing something like: (i) 50% reductions on the fine and the Brady suspension (not sure Brady would be ok with that, though he should be); (ii) a reduction of the draft penalties, small enough to continue to piss off Patriots fans and large enough to piss off everyone else (say, a 3rd rounder in each of 2016 and 2017); and (iii) a pair of vague, agreed, public statements by the league and the team that allow both sides to save a modicum of face would get it done quickly. 

well that was basically just a snarky jab at the pats* so......

well that was basically just a snarky jab at the pats* so......

Kraft is a buffoon. I didn't know it then as well as I know it now. How about getting the bottom of what happened right away and admitting guilt immediately or going to the mat based on what your internal investigation uncovers? Apparently that was too much to expect ....

Kraft is a buffoon. I didn't know it then as well as I know it now. How about getting the bottom of what happened right away and admitting guilt immediately or going to the mat based on what your internal investigation uncovers? Apparently that was too much to expect ....

Why can't other Pats fans who post here be honest like you? Nope... they all are invested in denial until it comes right back at them and shoves their dishonest little heads right up their asses. You root for the wrong team AFC.

Do you really think Kraft can be an honest Brokerin this matter?

Why can't other Pats fans who post here be honest like you? Nope... they all are invested in denial until it comes right back at them and shoves their dishonest little heads right up their asses. You root for the wrong team AFC.

Thanks man.  In case you haven't seen it for yourself, patsfans is a giant cesspool these days . . . even more so than usual. 

I hope he does, then Brady & the NFLPA can file a federal brief so the NFL can subpoena ALL OF BRADY's phone records!

Then we can truly see the worm squirm!

I blind squirreled this about Belichick in this situation.  The reason Belichick wasn't suspended like Payton was because Belichick hurled Brady under the bus.  Remember the press conference when Belichick all but pointed the finger at Brady, now there is this report, leaked by the Pats, that Belichick never believed Brady's story:

“[Coach Bill] Belichick never believed [brady’s] story, from what I was told,” Borges said. “Because they all know. Why do you think all those retired quarterbacks, the Troy Aikmans of the world — Troy Aikman is about as nice a guy as I’ve ever met in football — nobody’s backed [brady]. Nobody, not a single guy. Why do you think that is? Because they hate Brady? No. Because they’re not stupid. They know nothing’s done with those balls that the quarterback doesn’t want done.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/22/report-belichick-never-believed-brady-on-deflation-issue/

Belichick obviously ratted out Brady to Vincent and Goodell during the Wells investigation.

Archived