Tom Brady Suspended 4 games, Pats forfeit 2016 1st rounder and 2017 4th rounder

AVM

What did you expect those 2 to do, instead? Stand up to Tom? Just not do it and get fired? Threaten him to go public with this? Come on. It's fairly obvious through the texts that they just did what Tom "forced" them to do, they didn't really have any other choice. Plus they barely make any money as it is. This whole thing was on Tom. It's not on those 2 goofballs, it's not on Bill, it's not on the Patriots. Yet the NFL somehow found a way to punish EVERYBODY just a little bit. Instead of just suspending Tom for the entire year.

I mean just imagine if Sanchez pulled this sh*t the first 2 years when we made it to the playoffs. Imagine if the NFL took away our 1st round picks, if Woody was fined to pay millions to the NFL. It's a joke.

My point would be to say that if you're the Patriots as an organization and you want to try and put this all on those guys then you have to fire them. How are you going to pretend that Bill and Tom had nothing to do with this if you also maintain that the equipment guys didn't act on their own? The fact that you didn't fire them makes it look like you are protecting them for a reason... maybe you don't want them to tell the whole story.

But the whole "marching orders" issue aside, it looks bad for the league that you have guys implicated in a scandal like this that still have their jobs.

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point would be to say that if you're the Patriots as an organization and you want to try and put this all on those guys then you have to fire them. How are you going to pretend that Bill and Tom had nothing to do with this if you also maintain that the equipment guys didn't act on their own? The fact that you didn't fire them makes it look like you are protecting them for a reason... maybe you don't want them to tell the whole story.

But the whole "marching orders" issue aside, it looks bad for the league that you have guys implicated in a scandal like this that still have their jobs.

Well, the Pats don't put this all on those 2 nothings. It's just that from the evidence we've seen they're the only ones you can punish (from NE's perspective). They admitted they did it. Tom didn't hand over any evidence for that exact reason, so that the NFL or the Pats don't have any evidence, any reason to punish him. We can all argue and guess and we're probably 110% right by saying that Tom created this whole mess, that he ordered those 2 goofballs to break the rules. But there's no evidence. And even if he does cooperate (which he won't) and hand over evidence/texts, the Pats are going to argue that there is no need to punish him since the NFL has already done so. They only punished those 2 guys because the NFL can't/won't.

I still don't understand why they're being punished. Nobody BUT Tom should be punished. Not those 2 goofballs, not the Patriots, not Bill, not Bob. Just Tom. It's pretty simple. How the NFL would **** this up so bad is beyond me. Well, not really, they can't anything right. But still.

I hope you enjoy the greatest day in Jets history, much bigger than Super Bowl III.

What are the Jets doing to get out of the AFCE basement with a 4-12 record?

Win something before you gloat like a bunch of little girls.

Blah blah blah.. Must suck to have your whole franchise Tainted behind Cheating .. No one will respect those rings ever .

Well, the Pats don't put this all on those 2 nothings. It's just that from the evidence we've seen they're the only ones you can punish (from NE's perspective). They admitted they did it. Tom didn't hand over any evidence for that exact reason, so that the NFL or the Pats don't have any evidence, any reason to punish him. We can all argue and guess and we're probably 110% right by saying that Tom created this whole mess, that he ordered those 2 goofballs to break the rules. But there's no evidence. And even if he does cooperate (which he won't) and hand over evidence/texts, the Pats are going to argue that there is no need to punish him since the NFL has already done so. They only punished those 2 guys because the NFL can't/won't.

I still don't understand why they're being punished. Nobody BUT Tom should be punished. Not those 2 goofballs, not the Patriots, not Bill, not Bob. Just Tom. It's pretty simple. How the NFL would **** this up so bad is beyond me. Well, not really, they can't anything right. But still.

What is really interesting is they were suspended indefinitely by the Pats* and not for rehire by any other NFL clubs, so true career ending move  

I wonder what they would say now or if they are still getting paid to keep quiet

What is really interesting is they were suspended indefinitely by the Pats* and not for rehire by any other NFL clubs, so true career ending move  

I wonder what they would say now or if they are still getting paid to keep quiet

Probably will be hired by Krafts Soccer Team "The Revolution" They don't want these guys testifying at the Appeals Hearing against Brady.

Offer New England our 2016 1st round pick and Fitzpatrick for Tom Brady the NFL is a business get it done Macc.

Brady is getting old and who knows how well he can play without cheating? Last time I suspect he didn't cheat was back in Michigan where he sat on a bench behind the starter...wonder why he wasn't the starter there.

Fair point.  I'll relent.  No disrespect meant to Slats or any of you mods.  It's just that I love watching TX flip out when things go south.  I think Tx has been banned more years than I'm alive. lol

We can bring him back to chew on his turd "BTW, Pats sweep the Jets like they always do" comment. 

Methinks Brady will be wearing far more turf than usual in his helmet this year when he plays Gang Green.

They'll reduce it to 2 games I'm sure. I don't like it.

1) The Pats had nothing to do with it, there was no need to take away their 1st round pick or even fine them. None of the evidence suggests the Pats knew what Brady was doing. So I don't agree with this.

2) Brady should have been suspended at least 8 games. He cheated. It wasn't their entire team. He cheated. He was also the one who didn't cooperate, who didn't hand evidence over (texts etc.).

NFL dropped the ball, again.

Sean Payton was suspended for a year.  Ignorance is not an excuse.  It happened on the Patriots watch.

It's a ridicously lenient punishment. Bill Belicheat gets off scot free while Sean Payton got a year suspension because he should have been aware Bountygate was going on. Brady cheats, lies about it, and then hampers the investigation and gets the same 4 game suspension a GM gets for sending texts during a game. The million dollar fine is nothing to a billion dollar organization and a mere pittance to the money they made because they were cheating. The taking of their 2016 1st and 2017 4th round draft picks seems light when the Saints gave up 2 2nd rounders for Bountygate.

Sean Payton was suspended for a year. Ignorance is not an excuse. It happened on the Patriots watch.

I don't blame Goodell he's a product of the system. The last independent commissioner a sports league had was Fay Vincent in baseball and the owners got rid of him in '91.

Gary Bettman I'm impressed by he's a no-nonsense guy. Goodell and Stern and Selig's puppets in the nba and mlb are clowns.

It's a ridicously lenient punishment. Bill Belicheat gets off scot free while Sean Payton got a year suspension because he should have been aware Bountygate was going on. Brady cheats, lies about it, and then hampers the investigation and gets the same 4 game suspension a GM gets for sending texts during a game. The million dollar fine is nothing to a billion dollar organization and a mere pittance to the money they made because they were cheating. The taking of their 2016 1st and 2017 4th round draft picks seems light when the Saints gave up 2 2nd rounders for Bountygate.

Think about all the evidence that got suppressed implicating Belichick. Cell phones, affidavits from former players etc. Yeah Brady gets a month vacation and Pats save a net $600k and trolls on the internet call Brady a cheater wow.

Sean Payton was suspended for a year.  Ignorance is not an excuse.  It happened on the Patriots watch.

Stop bringing up Sean Payton, the man has nothing to do with what's going on right now in NE. And no, it didn't happen on NE's watch, it was one guy who broke the rules.

You're being hypocritical.

I think the big difference between Belichick and Sean Payton is that Payton protected his coaches and players and paid the price while Belichick absolutely threw Brady under the bus.  Did everyone forget the post-Deflategate press conference by Belichick?  All Belichick needed behind him was a sign saying:

"I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FOOTBALLS!!! IT WAS ALL BRADY!!!"

As to the media, I find comical the reaction of guys like Banks, Meyers, King etc. who claim that the 4 game suspension is too much when they don't refute that:

1. Brady benefited from deflated footballs

2. Brady was aware of the balls being intentionally deflated

3. Brady failed to cooperate with the investigation, and

4. Brady lied.

If you have all 4 then Brady had to be suspended at least 4 games, which, contrary to what others might say, I believe is an appropriate length.  That's the equivalent of a 20 game suspension in NBA and NHL and a 40 game suspension in MLB.  In the NFL, only multiple offenders get more than 4 games.

What kills me is the people who are all affronted at the notion of failure to cooperate as an independent basis of liability. Even Deadspin is selling that nonsense. Imagine if we tried to pull that with the relevant authorities in our line of work. We'd get gingerhammered even if totally exonerated on the underlying beef.

What kills me is the people who are all affronted at the notion of failure to cooperate as an independent basis of liability. Even Deadspin is selling that nonsense. Imagine if we tried to pull that with the relevant authorities in our line of work. We'd get gingerhammered even if totally exonerated on the underlying beef.

Deadspin's take on this is kind of ****ed up and disappointing. I think they are letting their hatred of Goodell blind them. 

Plus, can't we all just agree that if someone is truly innocent and their legacy (which they are obsessed with) was at stake they would volunteer as much info as possible to clear their name? Isn't that just patently obvious? If Brady really did nothing they there was nothing relevant on his phone why not hand it over, especially considering the parameters Wells was offering?

There is no shortage of excuse makers and Brady Defender's in the media loudly and regularly deflecting, subject changing, dismissing and ignoring right now.

The NFL Network (Radio) has been especially horrible the past two days, just rife with guys saying this is all about "nothing" and crying endlessly about Brady.

Some even say Brady shouldn't be suspended because that's "not good for the game of Football" if he missed games.

The double standard here is horrific.  Any other QB not named Peyton Manning, and these chuckleheads are loling as the book gets thrown at them and a year-long suspension gets dropped.

Brady gets a lightweight 4 games (for a multiple-cheater on a cheating franchise caught in a long-term, statistically significant cheat) and suddenly it's like raping the Virgin Mary is you listen to some of these guys.

Disgusting, and a great example of how little integrity the NFL, and especially it's former-player "analysts" actually have in the first place.

Deadspin's take on this is kind of ****ed up and disappointing. I think they are letting their hatred of Goodell blind them.

Plus, can't we all just agree that if someone is truly innocent and their legacy (which they are obsessed with) was at stake they would volunteer as much info as possible to clear their name? Isn't that just patently obvious? If Brady really did nothing they there was nothing relevant on his phone why not hand it over, especially considering the parameters Wells was offering?

I'm not even really talking about what one might choose to read into it. Innocent people can have things to hide. The point is that it's a rule. League officials had to hand in their phones when they were trying to figure out who saw the Rice video when.

I'm not even really talking about what one might choose to read into it. Innocent people can have things to hide. The point is that it's a rule. League officials had to hand in their phones when they were trying to figure out who saw the Rice video when.

Fair enough. I am also thinking based on what we know, what grounds can Brady base his appeal on other than "DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM?"

There is no shortage of excuse makers and Brady Defender's in the media loudly and regularly deflecting, subject changing, dismissing and ignoring right now.

The NFL Network (Radio) has been especially horrible the past two days, just rife with guys saying this is all about "nothing" and crying endlessly about Brady.

Some even say Brady shouldn't be suspended because that's "not good for the game of Football" if he missed games.

The double standard here is horrific.  Any other QB not named Peyton Manning, and these chuckleheads are loling as the book gets thrown at them and a year-long suspension gets dropped.

Brady gets a lightweight 4 games (for a multiple-cheater on a cheating franchise caught in a long-term, statistically significant cheat) and suddenly it's like raping the Virgin Mary is you listen to some of these guys.

Disgusting, and a great example of how little integrity the NFL, and especially it's former-player "analysts" actually have in the first place.

OMG Heath Evans is on now and he is just sounding like a complete idiot doing everything he can to defend and rationalize the Patriots and Brady's behavior. Even Andrew Siciliano is saying he was proven guilty but he just goes on and on about how Brady does not cheat but everyone else does. It is completely delusional. He even is denying Spygate. He should not be on the air it is embarrassing.

OMG Heath Evans is on now and he is just sounding like a complete idiot doing everything he can to defend and rationalize the Patriots and Brady's behavior. Even Andrew Siciliano is saying he was proven guilty but he just goes on and on about how Brady does not cheat but everyone else does. It is completely delusional. He even is denying Spygate. He should not be on the air it is embarrassing.

Heath Evans is ******* moron. 

Stop bringing up Sean Payton, the man has nothing to do with what's going on right now in NE. And no, it didn't happen on NE's watch, it was one guy who broke the rules.

You're being hypocritical.

I have a bridge to sell you

Fair enough. I am also thinking based on what we know, what grounds can Brady base his appeal on other than "DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM?"

He's hoping to get an "independent" arbitrator that would be confused by the preponderence of evidence threshold and reduce his penalty. Hopefully Goodell had Vincent do the ruling so he can handle the appeal. Maybe Roger increases his penalty on appeal. 

He is horrible. Nobody worse than Bruschi in that debate with Damien Woody though. Guy made a fool of himself while Woody was being a rational human being. 

What, you've forgotten the saying, "It's not the crime, it's the cover up"?

The failure to cooperate will always be a basis for liability because it obstructs the fact finding process, especially in employment situations like this.

They have been supplementing those articles with poorly timed photos of Goodell. I haven't decided if it's funny or lame.

Archived