Tom Brady Suspended 4 games, Pats forfeit 2016 1st rounder and 2017 4th rounder

AVM

Because I can't imagine anyone in that organization, including the star QB, doing anything without running it past Belichick first. And for his part, Belichick never met a potential competitive advantage -legal, illegal, or gray area- that he didn't want to take advantage of.

I'm literally shocked that they didn't even attempt to get Belichick's phone. Brady's protecting someone by not turning over his, my guess is that person is Belichick.

If this goes to court,  they may subpeona Belichick's records.   I wonder, since they do intend to appeal,  if Brady's  cell phone is long gone and that he purchased  a new one  for purposes of burying evidence.  

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was watching the NFL Network the night the penalty came down and I saw them march out a procession of former teammates who all said "Tom would never do this.  Not the Tom I know."  What the hell else would they say?  It's kinda like the mom who says about her convicted son, "he would never do this.  He was always such a good boy."

Very few guys in the media are willing to speak out against the Pats.  There are a ton of guys in the media who are worried about access more than anything else.  They know how the Patriots operate.  Don't think for a moment that the Pats are not taking note of who is for them and who is against them.  Guys like Peter King don't want their access cut off by getting on the Pats sh*t list.  There is no doubt in my mind that this influences the objectivity of a lot of media members.

Perfectly stated.

It's kinda like the mom who says about her convicted son, "he would never do this.  He was always such a good boy."

Made me wonder why the Dad came out so harshly against the NFL.  Usually when it comes to their kids, Mom's HOPE their son didn't do anything wrong, but Dad's KNOW if they did.  But then I remembered this:

All makes sense now.  Spoiled kid who can do no wrong, and views being an insurance salesman as something only a peasant would do.  Brady is a complete and total joke.

Every QB does that, it's a common thing in football.

So you really don't understand this thing at all do you?

Of course every QB in the league prepares the footballs to their liking. 

What they don't do is tamper with them AFTER the refs inspect them prior to each game. 

Get it now?

So you really don't understand this thing at all do you?

Of course every QB in the league prepares the footballs to their liking. 

What they don't do is tamper with them AFTER the refs inspect them prior to each game. 

Get it now?

What does that have to do with anything?

Problem is the media is mostly supporting the Pats.  Most are saying Tom did something but are calling the penalty harsh - and more importantly they really aren't going after Tom and Pats for their ridiculous and continued denials.

The report couldn't have been more clear - he did this and any reasonable person would agree - there is no other way to read that report and see anything else.  I would like to hear more in the media come out against the denial non-sense.  It's a joke yet the media continues to discuss this as a "controversy" as if there are really two sides to the story.

I agree with you and the media's protecting of the Pats, IMO, has become an embarassment.

Snowplow used to gain an unfair competitive advantage, evryone says yea it was wrong but it isnt in the "rule" book.  NFL quickly passes rule saying this is wrong.  Patas encourage fans to put up a mural lauding the act.

Spygate -cameras used to gain a competitive advantage.  Other teams say it goes deeper and that Pats used illegal jamming equipment and so on. NFL says Pats CHEATED, punished them and then DESTROYED the evidence.. "claiming there is nothing to see here" Ok glad we got kraft's friend word for that...

Illeagl formations during playoffs.  Pats and Brady mock Baltimore saying that "they should maybe pay attention to rule book" when plain point of fact the spirit of the rule was broken.  The Pats said that they didnt know that they were doing anything wrong.  NFL immediately says that behaviour is not acceptable  and as soon as posssible said that specific conduct will be in the "rule" book as a violation. 

Next week after Mocking Baltimore about the "rules" Pats get caught deflating footballs, punishment is handed down and once again the media says no big deal. 

To me this is destroying the game.  The annoucers, former players, dont realize that loyal fans are the heartbeat of the NFL and once it becomes the WWF as some have stated people wont follow it anymore.

The Pats as an organization their credo is "if it isn't specifically in the rule book we can do it" .  No you can't. 

There is such a thing as the spirit of the rules as well. 

Must the NFL spend tens of millions of dolars to expand the "rule" book to 10,000,000 pages or more just to stop the Pats from playing fast and lose with the game and the truth.

Under the Pats anything goes mentality you could place diueretics in your opponents water and nothing would be wrong with that because it is not specifically in the NFL "rule" book.

Insanity..

To me this kind of thinking which is being lauded by the media is actually destroying the game

The media's reaction to this has been almost as, or maybe even more, shameful than anything else that has gone down.  If the Jets, Raiders, or whatever other team you want to nominate were to have done this, the media would be calling for their championship to be vacated and season-long suspensions handed down.  Peter King is the absolute worst of them all.  I used to enjoy reading his column up until the last few months, even with its pro-Patriot* bent, but he's completely gone off the rails and can no longer claim any level of objectivity.  He might as well be on the Patriots* payroll.  

Just like everyone does what the Pats did with Spygate.  Yet strangely, they were the only ones who ever get caught doing stuff like this consistently.  It's so weird.

I didn't say every QB orders guys to deflate the footballs. That's not what the article was about.

Every sport needs a heel.

Regarding the stickum argument, I vividly remember that when it was outlawed I watched Largent pouring Coca Cola on his hands so they would be sticky

Reminds me of the time Cromartie finished on his gloves for the same purpose, then somehow impregnated 3 women during the game.  Potent stuff.

Now I am a long time Jets fan so I'm not siding with Brady but I don't know, this seems so overblown. Many of us have played football here and I really don't see the big deal in a little air being taken out of a football.  Its not like using a foreign substance on a baseball like Gaylord Perry used to do or the Arods and Bonds pumping up with steroids.  Just a few years ago QB's would beat the sh*t out the ball before games to their liking. Now that has been disallowed and they have to be all shiny and hard as a rock. This is nowhere nearly as damaging as Spygate was where their was definitive evidence the Pats cheated.  This whole thing just stinks. Its not going away and we will hear dribble over this for so long it will get annoyingly pedantic, it already has.  Bottom line is, they still beat the Seahawks with regular balls since they knew all about this going into the Super Bowl.  This really is much ado about nothing.    

Now I am a long time Jets fan so I'm not siding with Brady but I don't know, this seems so overblown. Many of us have played football here and I really don't see the big deal in a little air being taken out of a football.  Its not like using a foreign substance on a baseball like Gaylord Perry used to do or the Arods and Bonds pumping up with steroids.  Just a few years ago QB's would beat the sh*t out the ball before games to their liking. Now that has been disallowed and they have to be all shiny and hard as a rock. This is nowhere nearly as damaging as Spygate was where their was definitive evidence the Pats cheated.  This whole thing just stinks. Its not going away and we will hear dribble over this for so long it will get annoyingly pedantic, it already has.  Bottom line is, they still beat the Seahawks with regular balls since they knew all about this going into the Super Bowl.  This really is much ado about nothing.    

Pffftt... call yourself a Jets fan.....

The science people who take the stance that the drop in pressure is within the explanation using the Ideal Gas Law I see get at this by adding the outside pressure to the pressure of the balls, this making the percentage drop within 1% or so of the percentage drop in temps. IS that just a trick to get the %s closer?

You can see what I mean in this video,

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/chemistry/gases-and-kinetic-molecular-theory/ideal-gas-laws/v/deflategate-ideal-gas-law

Sorry. Did not look at the video. All I can say is that the Ideal Gas Law, as well as the experiments done in the testing described in the report, in fact show that the pressure drop seen in the Pats' balls exceeded what could be explained by natural causes. It's all in the appendices. The graphs pretty much tell the story.

Looks like the appeal will be filed tomorrow, Thursday

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2015/05/13/report-union-has-drafted-tom-brady-appeal-letter-likely-to-be-filed-thursday/

WEEI.COM BLOG NETWORK
WEEI » It Is What It Is » Report: Union has drafted Tom Brady appeal letter, likely to be filed Thursday
REPORT: UNION HAS DRAFTED TOM BRADY APPEAL LETTER, LIKELY TO BE FILED THURSDAY 05.13.15 at 1:05 pm ET

According to a report from NFL Network’s Albert Breer, the NFL Players Association has completed the Tom Brady appeal letter and plans to file it with the league Thursday in an effort to get his four-game suspension reduced.

The deadline to file the appeal is 5 p.m. Thursday.

Breer notes that the NFLPA’s focus in the letter is to narrow the topic to the simple question of whether or not Brady cheated.

It was revealed Tuesday that noted labor attorney Jeffrey Kessler was retained to help with Brady’s appeal. Kessler has had a number of key victories over the NFL in the past.

Doesn't it stand to reason that if the man knows how to do things to the ball to make practice harder, that he also has a complete understanding of what to do to a football to make games easier? And having that understanding, would you really put it past him to want to gain that advantage?

And the clock in my car will be one hour off until it's time once again to fall back, but that hasn't stopped me from learning how to text.

Of course he does, but he also has like a million other things to worry about as well.

I am guessing that his give a sh*t meter for the preparation of game balls begins and ends with his G.O.A.T. QB.

Now I am a long time Jets fan so I'm not siding with Brady but I don't know, this seems so overblown. Many of us have played football here and I really don't see the big deal in a little air being taken out of a football. Its not like using a foreign substance on a baseball like Gaylord Perry used to do or the Arods and Bonds pumping up with steroids. Just a few years ago QB's would beat the sh*t out the ball before games to their liking. Now that has been disallowed and they have to be all shiny and hard as a rock. This is nowhere nearly as damaging as Spygate was where their was definitive evidence the Pats cheated. This whole thing just stinks. Its not going away and we will hear dribble over this for so long it will get annoyingly pedantic, it already has. Bottom line is, they still beat the Seahawks with regular balls since they knew all about this going into the Super Bowl. This really is much ado about nothing.

Consider it due punishment for year and years of rule breaking then. It does seems a little overblown (funny word to use here) but it is less about what they did and more about how they did it that proved they absolutely knew it was against the rules. And then the coverup.

Problem is the media is mostly supporting the Pats.  Most are saying Tom did something but are calling the penalty harsh - and more importantly they really aren't going after Tom and Pats for their ridiculous and continued denials.

The report couldn't have been more clear - he did this and any reasonable person would agree - there is no other way to read that report and see anything else.  I would like to hear more in the media come out against the denial non-sense.  It's a joke yet the media continues to discuss this as a "controversy" as if there are really two sides to the story.

The two guys on the Sirius NFL morning show were so passionately defending Brady on Russo's show I became nauseous. 

Anything short of a video tape of Brady himself deflating the balls isn't good enough evidence.

Ben Roethlisberger was originally suspended for 6 games for something that had NO EFFECT whatsoever on any football game-gets his suspension reduced to 4 games and Brady cheats for years and the facts show that the softer ball drastically reduced turnovers for YEARS and his suspension is the same amount-it should have been for 8 games

I have to agree that the deflating of the balls probably didn't affect the outcome of the games.  However,  I think the major point here is that the Pats bent the rules.  Their balls did not meet  NFL regulations.  I don't know if this would be such a big deal if the Pats were not involved in spygate several years ago.  And remember,  Goodell needed to save face after all the controversy over his past rulings such as the Ray Rice saga.  

I have to agree that the deflating of the balls probably didn't affect the outcome of the games.  However,  I think the major point here is that the Pats bent the rules.  Their balls did not meet  NFL regulations.  I don't know if this would be such a big deal if the Pats were not involved in spygate several years ago.  And remember,  Goodell needed to save face after all the controversy over his past rulings such as the Ray Rice saga.  

Deflating the balls below NFL regulations is considered breaking the rules, not bending them. There is a reason these rules and regulations are put in place. When you break them, you gain a competitive advantage. 

Deflating the balls below NFL regulations is considered breaking the rules, not bending them. There is a reason these rules and regulations are put in place. When you break them, you gain a competitive advantage. 

I agree with you.  I am in no way suggesting that the Partiots should not have been reprimanded.  Whether anyone thinks rules are fair or not,  rules are rules and when they are broken,  the offender should be reprimanded.  I also agree that the deflated balls gave the Partiots a competitive advantage.  I still wonder if their actions affected   the outcome of the games played.  

Archived