Can the Jets win the division this year?

Maxman

It all comes down the the QB. If they get QB play at an average level, the division is within reach. If they get Geno Smith QB play from the first 10 weeks last year...then obviously the division isn't going to happen.

What do you think...with Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB can the Jets squeak out 11 and 5? I still want them to give Geno a shot, the upside is higher...so that could impact things negatively if they start slow.

But I think the division is winnable. This defense needs to hold down the fort until the offense gets rolling!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts on Fitz are well known, and it would be hard to imagine our defense not being a top unit next year.  So to me, it actually comes down to the offensive line.  Can the new zone blocking scheme improve our ability to run the football?  I have to imagine Breno does better in a system like that, and to me, the RT is just as crucial as the interior linemen when it comes to running it.  When we had our most dominant seasons running it in '09-10, Damien Woody was an absolute beast as that road-grader on the right side. 

Keeping our QB upright may be another matter with all the quality pass-rushers in the division.  No idea if we're going to be solid in that department.

I don't think it's in the cards this year.  We are, after all, coming off a 4-12 season and still don't have a good QB on the roster.  The defense can only carry you so far.  

Plus, we all know that the Pats* will be on the 2015 edition of the Revenge Tour.  We all know how the regular season went the last time they felt they had been wronged by the league.

Still, though, I think we'll be in playoff contention in December, but for a wildcard spot.  I could see us sneaking into the #5 slot like we did in 2009.

I think we could win 10 games with some luck...and sneak in as a wild card - but it's unlikely with the current QB's on the roster.

Fitz isn't taking us anywhere - the only hope (and it's a long shot) is for somehow Geno to take a big step forward in Gaily's system. 

We were 8-8 two seasons ago with poor QB play. We have a lot easier schedule compared to that 2013 Season and if we get average QB play from like of Fitz or a resurgent Geno we can win 12 games easy with the schedule we have got and the defense we have got.

12 games this year should win the division.

I'd rather just root for my team and see how it goes. Every year I work myself up with expectations and am always let down. I'm just going to take it one game at a time and enjoy watching my team play.

I don't think it's in the cards this year.  We are, after all, coming off a 4-12 season and still don't have a good QB on the roster.  The defense can only carry you so far.  

Plus, we all know that the Pats* will be on the 2015 edition of the Revenge Tour.  We all know how the regular season went the last time they felt they had been wronged by the league.

Still, though, I think we'll be in playoff contention in December, but for a wildcard spot.  I could see us sneaking into the #5 slot like we did in 2009.

I am not buying all this revenge bullsh*t.  The talent gap as been closed dramatically and the Jets, Bills and Dolphins all want a piece of those cheating, arrogant assholes from NE.  If we can get consistency at the qb position (meaning drastically reduce turnovers) and actually create some on defense for a change, I like our chances of at least winning the wild card.  

It comes down to two things: QB play as has been mentioned several times and injuries - not ours but perhaps theirs.

One item few realize about the 1968-69 Jets (remember I'm old) is that that team had no significant injuries during the year....noting that Maynard did have a deep leg bruise in the Super Bowl where Bake Turner subbed for him.  

I am not buying all this revenge bullsh*t. The talent gap as been closed dramatically and the Jets, Bills and Dolphins all want a piece of those cheating, arrogant assholes from NE. If we can get consistency at the qb position (meaning drastically reduce turnovers) and actually create some on defense for a change, I like our chances of at least winning the wild card.

Happened in 07 did it not?

I agree the talent gap is closer. At the end of the day HOF QB coming off of a SB win >>>>the rest of the AFC east QBs.

Talk all the cheating u want. That N.E.team is still pretty talented

Glad to see there will be some competition finally this season though..

I agree the talent gap is closer. At the end of the day HOF QB coming off of a SB win >>>>the rest of the AFC east QBs.

Agreed.  yet I think we can all agree the cheating put them over the top. 

I would have to agree.  

The talent level is closer than it was in 2007, but at the same time it's not like the rest of the AFC East has done much to challenge the Patriots over the last few years, so the perceived arms race between the Bills, Dolphins, and Jets this offseason really just amounts to closing the gap rather than putting them over the top.  

I would say that 2015 represents the season where the Pats have the best chance of being knocked off for the AFC East title, but at the same time I still expect them to win it.  But, it might take them until a little deeper into December than they're used to.

Agreed. yet I think we can all agree the cheating put them over the top.

I wouldn't say that, cause clearly logic tells you they didnt need spy gate or deflated balls. I mean they showed that already...numerous times.

but i wouldn't really argue with anyone who feels it did. At the end of the day thier stupidly brought this on them....

2015 is calling. I could give sh*t about 2007, or 2014 for that matter.  NE is talented but less so than last year (no Revis or Browner);  It will all be decided on the field.  Your HOF quarterback can and has been beaten (ask the Giants).   Get ready, the AFC East is going to be no joke this year and no one is scared of the Pats. 

Pats will win the division easily as they do every year. As long as belli and brady are there, the division is theirs.

Sorry I can't agree with this defeatist attitude. Why bother even playing the games? 

I would have to agree.

The talent level is closer than it was in 2007, but at the same time it's not like the rest of the AFC East has done much to challenge the Patriots over the last few years, so the perceived arms race between the Bills, Dolphins, and Jets this offseason really just amounts to closing the gap rather than putting them over the top.

I would say that 2015 represents the season where the Pats have the best chance of being knocked off for the AFC East title, but at the same time I still expect them to win it. But, it might take them until a little deeper into December than they're used to.

I agree.... I'm honestly tired of hearing outsiders say the AFC east is always weak. I hope this season the jets, buffalo (eventhough i still feel buffalo is still the same from last year) and the fins show the rest of the NFL that they are to be taken serious this year.

No on the division (i'd be wrong happily)

Wild card with reduced turnovers, and if Bowles can make a quick and successful transition to head coach.  He is the last twig off of the Parcels tree which gives me hope, he was 2-1 with the Dolphins as an interim coach, I believe, but its not a big enough sample size.

with the entire division getting better with the exception of the patriots (I don't know who they are going to rely on to play corner) they don't get out of the division easily, they don't get homefield and maybe not a first round bye.

My guess is that the Jets will win the following

Cleveland 

Oakland    

Jacksonville 

Houston

Texans

New York Giants

Tenn.

I don't see Buffalo, Miami or NE in that group. So you think we are getting swept by the AFC east?  What is your reasoning behind this? 

2015 is calling. I could give sh*t about 2007, or 2014 for that matter. NE is talented but less so than last year (no Revis or Browner); It will all be decided on the field. Your HOF quarterback can and has been beaten (ask the Giants). Get ready, the AFC East is going to be no joke this year and no one is scared of the Pats.

Nobody said he cant be beaten. Yea the giants. One team and a team not in the AFC east either..and also notice u said giants beat them?

When they beat them..in a superbowl..meaning they got there twice with considerably weak defensives too..

Im just saying..

Plus never said the pats run away with the division either..this should be a tough year cause everyone else not named New England vastly improved (as i said..i kind of dont believe in Buffalo )

I don't see Buffalo, Miami or NE in that group. So you think we are getting swept by the AFC east?  What is your reasoning behind this? 

I listed who I think the Jets will beat for sure.    In terms of Buffalo, Miami and NE, I think it's going to be tough for Geno to do much with their defensive lines.   

It's wide open, but I worry that the Jets have too many new pieces and could get off to a slow start.  They could be dangerous as the year progresses.  Buffalo should be the favorite outside NE based on last year, and its core having played together for a few seasons.  Still can't trust the QBs and could see Rex overusing McCoy.  Miami is an enigma.  On paper they should have been good the last few years, but just can't seem to get over the hump, something just doesn't seem right there.

Nobody said he cant be beaten. Yea the giants. One team and a team not in the AFC east either..and also notice u said giants beat them?

When they beat them..in a superbowl..meaning they got there twice with considerably weak defensives too..

Im just saying..

Plus never said the pats run away with the division either..this should be a tough year cause everyone else not named New England vastly improved (as i said..i kind of dont believe in Buffalo )

Yep, but the Jets have been competitive in most of our games against NE and now that we have a no nonsense coach will get the most of his players abilities.  Granted his a Rookie HC but I like our chances very much.  The Dolphins truly hate the Pats and with Big Suh on board,  you guys will have your work cut out for you.  The Bills have the talent and Rex has always given Brady a rough time.   While you may not believe in Buffalo, to pretend they didn't also make significant upgrades is kidding yourself.  

I understand that until someone beats them the Pats are the favorites but to me, the past means nothing this year and I am just saying prepare yourself; This going to be the new Black and Blue Division and you better hope your Pretty Boy (s) qbs make it thru the season. 

My guess is that the Jets will win the following

Cleveland 

Oakland    

Jacksonville 

Houston

Texans

New York Giants

Tenn.

So you figure the Jets will beat both Houston, and the Texans, and get swept in the AFC East?   Interesting 

It all comes down the the QB. If they get QB play at an average level, the division is within reach. If they get Geno Smith QB play from the first 10 weeks last year...then obviously the division isn't going to happen.

What do you think...with Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB can the Jets squeak out 11 and 5? I still want them to give Geno a shot, the upside is higher...so that could impact things negatively if they start slow.

But I think the division is winnable. This defense needs to hold down the fort until the offense gets rolling!

Can we win the Division?

Yes.

I listed who I think the Jets will beat for sure.    In terms of Buffalo, Miami and NE, I think it's going to be tough for Geno to do much with their defensive lines.   

NE defense is worse without Revis and Browner.  While Buffalo is about the same and Miami certainly got better with Suh. You seem to forget that whomever you have a qb has to face the Jets, Dolphins and NE Defenses too and we did did beat Miami last year and should have beaten NE.  You guys spanked us but the guy who was here is now YOUR Head Coach, lol.  Now none of that really means anything because this is a new season but to act like you have Joe Montana at quarterback is humorous to me.   If you think it is going to be tough for Geno, what will it be for McCown or whomever is your quarterback?   BTW just in case you may not be aware of, the Jets will have a defensive line and front seven every bit as good if not better than yours.  As for as our secondary goes it probably won't even be close. 

Archived