Odell Beckham Jr. on Cover of Madden 16

Jetsmanjb

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How quickly we forget.

madden-13-cover-240x300.jpg

Yes a video game box is cursed. Can't possibly be that generally the most surprising/incredible performance is rewarded with their mug on the box and it is extremely difficult to produce like performances two years in a row.

Kind of like the myth that having 300 carries means a RB will stink the next year. Correlation is not causation.

Yes a video game box is cursed. Can't possibly be that generally the most surprising/incredible performance is rewarded with their mug on the box and it is extremely difficult to produce like performances two years in a row.

Kind of like the myth that having 300 carries means a RB will stink the next year. Correlation is not causation.

These aren't just run-of-the-mill regressions that the players seem to experience. It's either a season-ending injury or massive decline in performance beyond historical norms. And they happen almost every single time. Obviously there's no such thing as pure causation, but the relationship is to the point of being statistically-significant.

These aren't just run-of-the-mill regressions that the players seem to experience. It's either a season-ending injury or massive decline in performance beyond historical norms. And they happen almost every single time. Obviously there's no such thing as pure causation, but the relationship is to the point of being statistically-significant.

If you believe that a cardboard box is cursed, then who am i to persuade you otherwise. Carry on.

What the **** are you talking about?  You said Sherman was the first all pro after Madden cover.  Calvin Johnson's cover was first and he had 122 for 1964 and was first team all pro.  I suppose the curse kept him from getting the extra 36 yards to hit 2,000?  It seems you are trying to educate me on something, but I have no idea what.

What the **** are you talking about?  You said Sherman was the first all pro after Madden cover.  Calvin Johnson's cover was first and he had 122 for 1964 and was first team all pro.  I suppose the curse kept him from getting the extra 36 yards to hit 2,000?  It seems you are trying to educate me on something, but I have no idea what.

Your defensive response is intriguing, when a simple clarification would've done nicely. I thought you were saying Megatron's drop from 1964 to 1492 the year after his cover appearance was proof of some curse. And I was rolling my eyes at that insinuation. If that isn't the point you were trying to make, ok but given the post you were responding to and the manner in which you did it, that was a reasonable assumption.

Your defensive response is intriguing, when a simple clarification would've done nicely. I thought you were saying Megatron's drop from 1964 to 1492 the year after his cover appearance was proof of some curse.

Ah.  Cover was for 2013, but they showed it August 2012.  Besides, he was all pro 2011, 2012 and 2013.  I suppose they might spin it that the Lions sucked that year, but is that really a newsflash?  When is Beckham supposed to have the downturn?  2015 or 2016?

BTW, how do you guys think Revis will defend against OBJ this year?

Oh sh*t, forgot we played the Giants this year.  That'll be a great matchup.

One nice scheduling advantage:  They're considering that a road game for us this time around.  Meaning we have 9 of our 16 games at MetLife Stadium this year.  Pretty sweet.

Ah.  Cover was for 2013, but they showed it August 2012.  Besides, he was all pro 2011, 2012 and 2013.  I suppose they might spin it that the Lions sucked that year, but is that really a newsflash?  When is Beckham supposed to have the downturn?  2015 or 2016?

If Beckham stubs his toe, the Giants miss the playoffs, or his cat dies, the proponents of this preposterous curse will feel vindicated.

Oh sh*t, forgot we played the Giants this year.  That'll be a great matchup.

One nice scheduling advantage:  They're considering that a road game for us this time around.  Meaning we have 9 of our 16 games at MetLife Stadium this year.  Pretty sweet.

Add the London game being a road game and it gets even better.  Of course that Buffalo snow game last year sort of makes you wonder how much it matters...

If Devin Smith turns into the next WR sensation, then all is good.

He already has a catch that's pretty close to OBJ's. We need him to become good if we want to make up for that mistake.

Devin Smith caught a TD every 2.75 receptions last year 

Add the London game being a road game and it gets even better.  Of course that Buffalo snow game last year sort of makes you wonder how much it matters...

True.  I don't think we have an advantage when we play at home.  But only having to travel for 7 games certainly does give us an overall advantage on other teams. 

And the London game certainly hurts Miami and helps us.  Even though Jets fans show up nicely in Miami every year, that humidity is a killer.  London weather is obviously a lot closer to the weather in NYC than Miami.

I'm not suggesting such, however, don't you think it's all a bit odd?

In all of NFL history, there have only been 4 consecutive repeats of NFL MVP awards--being the most outstanding player is cursed!

Since 2005, only one team has repeated as Superbowl champions (and they cheated)--winning the SB is cursed!

From 2002-2011, 55 of 75 RBs who had more than 300 carries in one year had fewer fantasy points the following years--touching the ball a lot is cursed!

Nearly every team to lose the Super Bowl disappointed the upcoming season (by not making consecutive SBs)--losing a SB is cursed!

No, it is not odd at all. It is statistics. It is extremely difficult to deliver two outlier seasons in a row. And when your point of comparison is often a career year, as it is for the Madden cover boy, a 300 carry RB, a SB winner, an MVP year... even a return to expected performance the next year can be considered evidence of a curse if you want it to.

Besides everyone knows the only real NFL curse is on the Jets because Joe Willy made a deal with the Devil in 1969.

Yeah but we learned how to win.

I know you don't want my opinion on this at all, but Leonard Williams + Devin Smith > Amari Cooper + 2nd rounder (McKinney?  Kikaha?  Morse?  Orchard?  Fisher?  Marpet?  Etc.)

I'd love to know if Macc had Williams higher on his board than Cooper.  He's already stated Williams was in his Top 3.  And also said this:  “Quite frankly, I don’t think any mock draft had Leonard going beyond No. 5,” Maccagnan said. “Literally none.”

I know you don't want my opinion on this at all, but Leonard Williams + Devin Smith > Amari Cooper + 2nd rounder (McKinney?  Kikaha?  Morse?  Orchard?  Fisher?  Marpet?  Etc.)

I'd love to know if Macc had Williams higher on his board than Cooper.  He's already stated Williams was in his Top 3.  And also said this:  “Quite frankly, I don’t think any mock draft had Leonard going beyond No. 5,” Maccagnan said. “Literally none.”

I don't think he meant 2014.  I think he meant 2013 when the beat the Dolphins and lost out on Beckham, ending up with Pryor.

I don't think he meant 2014.  I think he meant 2013 when the beat the Dolphins and lost out on Beckham, ending up with Pryor.

Ah right.  Only now noticed the "2 years ago".  All those meaningless late season wins run together for me. 

Think Idzik would have actually pulled the trigger on Beckham?  His WR picks later in the draft don't give me much confidence to say that for sure.

EDIT:  This article from 2 months before the draft suggests we might have (but then again we did pass on Kelvin Benjamin and Marqise Lee):

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-catch-rising-star-draft-article-1.1620229

Eric Ebron, Mike Evans, Kelvin Benjamin, Marqise Lee and Odell Beckham Jr. among NY Jets’ first-round targets

Yeah it totally sucked having our Rookie QB win his last 3 of 4 games, ending with a win over a division rival officially knocking them out of the playoffs.

Real fans who knows what's up, root for their teams to lose that game for draft position and stuff.

Yeah it totally sucked having our Rookie QB win his last 3 of 4 games, ending with a win over a division rival officially knocking them out of the playoffs.

Real fans who knows what's up, root for their teams to lose that game for draft position and stuff.

Best part is what are the odds that Idzik and Rex would've drafted Beckham? He would've been taken #1 had teams known then what they know now. 11 teams passed on him. No way the Jets would've been smart enough to take him--the first offensive first rounder since sanchez--under rexidzik

The Jets were supposedly very high on him.  I wasn't a huge fan.  There is something about him that I didn't like coming out of LSU.  It doesn't have to do with production or ability so much as style.  For instance, my favorite RB is Jonathan Stewart.  That certainly does not mean I think he is the best RB.  I really didn't catch many Giants games this year.  I wonder how much differently I will feel about Beckham after watching him in the NFL a bit.

Can you imagine if OBJ beats the Jets ala Victor Cruz in 2011? I'm pretty sure half this board would commit mass suicide.

We have Revis, so that shouldn't happen, but damn that would suck. The Curse of OBJ will forever loom in Jets folklore.

Can you imagine if OBJ beats the Jets ala Victor Cruz in 2011? I'm pretty sure half this board would commit mass suicide.

We have Revis, so that shouldn't happen, but damn that would suck. The Curse of OBJ will forever loom in Jets folklore.

The thing you really want to be praying for is that Mariota doesn't pan out. Because if 3 meaningless December wins over two years cost us Mariota to Beckham for a decade, that one is gonna sting. A lot.

The thing you really want to be praying for is that Mariota doesn't pan out. Because if 3 meaningless December wins over two years cost us Mariota to Beckham for a decade, that one is gonna sting. A lot.

I don't think he knows that.  He thinks it was a conscious decision to pass on Beckham.

I don't get the sense the Jets were ever high on Mariota. I have a feeling that if we drafted higher, we would have still taken Williams as BPA or Fowler if Mac really felt we needed a pass rusher. I'm thinking his plan all along was to take a developmental QB in the mid-rounds, as we did with Petty, and ride out the season with Fitz/Geno.

Archived