SEAHAWKS WON'T GIVE RUSSELL WILSON $20 MILLION A YEAR -

jeaniec

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a silly question. I replied anyway. Now what? What's your conclusion now that I have answered your question?

If any Q.B is worth 20 mill, I'd defiantly put Wilson in that category, Seattle had a great roster, and they was missing a Q.B. Wilson turned them from nobodies into World Champs, and baring The most bone head play in the history of North American sports, would have 2 Super bowls in his first three years. He's not a "System guy" he's a leader and makes things happen. He's what Cam Newton was supposed to be.

If he's available you sell the Farm to get him, he instantly changes any franchise in to contenders. Sh*t man we are paying a Corner 16 mill per.

Hawk I respect you has a poster, and enjoy reading your posts but, Wilson is Defo worth 20 Mill per.

In a freakin heart beat .... Wilson makes very few mistakes he is a leader and well respected .... When was the last time you could say that about a Jets QB ? Would you trade Wilkerson for Wilson ? Whats Wilk going to get in a new contract ?

Wilson turns the Jets into a top 5 football team not just a top 5 defense. Also since we are built to win now only lacking a QB why would you not make this move ?

don't get me wrong I love Wilk but if he wants JJ Watt money I say trade him we still get a #1 for him Wilk is very good player but he is no jj

Hey that's the going rate for QBs like Wilson. If Seattle won't pay it someone will.

When you have the advantage of having a top 10 QB it will cost you cap space. That's what balances out the playing field, teams that have the QBs won't be able to afford a secondary like ours without suffering at another position, etc. Yes, I'd rather have the QB then a stacked secondary, but that's not an option at the moment.

When you hit on a rookie like Wilson and have the luxury to pay him peanuts you can afford to put a team like Seattle did around him by extending Sherman, Lynch, Thomas, Chancellor, etc. But now it's time to pay up, and it may cost you a player or two, but that's the price.....otherwise they can let him go and draft another QB, hope they hit on him, and use the money they saved on other positions.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

This 100%

The truth is you are not winning without a top tier QB in today's NFL. Realistically the Dilfer type QB won't get you there anymore.

The QBs who have won the SB over the last decade are HOF bound and that should tell you all you need to know.

he's close dude if only because of his age, he doesn't make mistakes and can make plays.. an ideal game manager type

that said, last year was his worst year in the league, so I can't fault the hawks for taking a wait and see approach..

Stupid organizations, like the Jets, give QB's a huge signing bonus coming off a terrible season cause they had a good 5 game run the season prior

I agree. Let's see what he does this year.

This 100%

The truth is you are not winning without a top tier QB in today's NFL. Realistically the Dilfer type QB won't get you there anymore.

The QBs who have won the SB over the last decade are HOF bound and that should tell you all you need to know.

You think Eli is a HOF QB??

I like Wilson fine, but not 20 millions worth.  I have said it before:  he is not on a level with Manning, Brady, Rogers.  The D in Seattle will become mediocre as they lose their players to FA---Marshawn will be gone or ineffective  soon---- and then we will see if Wilson can win.  Manning and Rogers and Brady have won without running backs and with mediocre D.  The jury is still out, IMHO.  Sure if Wilson completes that pass he looks great.  But it is his fault he did not.  He made a bad play in a big spot. And let us not forget that the pass that got him inside the 10 was a gift form an ass DB who did not track the ball properly.  It was not a well thrown pass.  He is good. Mostly because he can run it some.  Like Rogers used to run it some.  But Rogers evolved into a great pocket passer. Wilson may do that some day.  But lee's wait and see.  And not throw 20 million at him.  He is not elite.

In a freakin heart beat .... Wilson makes very few mistakes he is a leader and well respected .... When was the last time you could say that about a Jets QB ? Would you trade Wilkerson for Wilson ? Whats Wilk going to get in a new contract ?

Wilson turns the Jets into a top 5 football team not just a top 5 defense. Also since we are built to win now only lacking a QB why would you not make this move ?

Wilson played an awful game against GB in the playoffs.  If Lynch does not run it in from 20 yards out without GB bothering to touch him (I still cannot fathom that play--maybe the GB defense heard a phantom whistle), and if Wilson does not get a 2 point conversion on the worst pass I have ever seen, and the worst effort by a DB, that game does not go to OT and he does not even get a chance to blow the SB win.  Now I think he is pretty good.  But I would choke if I mentioned him in the same breath as Brady, Manning and Rogers.  And I would  not give him 20 mil now.  Would I take him?  Gladly.  He is head and shoulders above our guys.  But salary caps matter.  And good organizations do not pay for hype.

He is not worth the money for the upgrade if you have a 2nd tier guy like Matt Ryan or Eli Manning (yes, flame away) but if your QB is a dumpster fire made from a dumpster of soiled diapers... he is definitely worth the $20M. The delta is just so huge.

Wilson played an awful game against GB in the playoffs.  If Lynch does not run it in from 20 yards out without GB bothering to touch him (I still cannot fathom that play--maybe the GB defense heard a phantom whistle), and if Wilson does not get a 2 point conversion on the worst pass I have ever seen, and the worst effort by a DB, that game does not go to OT and he does not even get a chance to blow the SB win.  Now I think he is pretty good.  But I would choke if I mentioned him in the same breath as Brady, Manning and Rogers.  And I would  not give him 20 mil now.  Would I take him?  Gladly.  He is head and shoulders above our guys.  But salary caps matter.  And good organizations do not pay for hype.

No doubt he isn't Brady/Manning/Rogers. Problem is there are 3 of those guys. In a world where teams pay $16M for Darrelle Revis, $20M is not outrageous for Wilson.

I look at it this way....with the cap you spend on the players that are hardest to find for cheap (QB, Pass Rushers, CBs are the top 3 I would say, LT probably too) and you try to replace the other position via the draft like RB, Guard, ILB, TE, WR. Yes, if you have a top tier talent at WR or one of the other positions you pay him, but overall it will be easier to pay Wilson and find Lynch, Tate and the Center they traded replacements in the draft than to find Wilson's replacement IMO.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Wilson is a product of their offense/team, they'd be stupid to pay him Brady/Peyton/A-Rod type money. Luck might deserve it. Russell Wilson doesn't, Flacco doesn't, Kaepernick doesn't. The Seahawks are still playoff and maybe even superbowl material with any other clown throwing the ball for them. Wilson's career is going to end the minute he leaves Seattle.

Agreed.  On a mediocre team Wilson is mediocre.   Brady, Peyton, Luck took mediocre teams and made them contenders.

Wilson is a consistent top 15 QB. For that he's worth 20m because there aren't even 15 guys on the planet that are consistent year to year top 15 talent. But SEA has no reason to pay him that right now, so why should they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You think Eli is a HOF QB??

Eli stats in truth rival, dare I say it SANCHEZ at times, but with that said no way a QB who has taken his team to 2 SBs won them and was named the MVP of the game will NOT be a HOF QB.  Also the narrative around him is strange, yes he sucks at times, but he is seen as a "BIG TIME QB".

So yes while Eli is indeed in the weaker tier of players, he is not his brother, Rogers or Brady, he is in that next group that will be HOF fan bound with Breese, Big Ben and so on, so yes I do believe he gets into the HOF.

Reminds me of a compiler I know.... :)

And no I would NOT have been happy with him as the Jets starting QB!!

Eli stats in truth rival, dare I say it SANCHEZ at times, but with that said no way a QB who has taken his team to 2 SBs won them and was named the MVP of the game will NOT be a HOF QB.  Also the narrative around him is strange, yes he sucks at times, but he is seen as a "BIG TIME QB".

So yes while Eli is indeed in the weaker tier of players, he is not his brother, Rogers or Brady, he is in that next group that will be HOF fan bound with Breese, Big Ben and so on, so yes I do believe he gets into the HOF.

Reminds me of a compiler I know.... :)

And no I would NOT have been happy with him as the Jets starting QB!!

Jim Plunkett says HI. Granted he's only a 1x SB MVP, but he did win two titles. 

Wilson is a consistent top 15 QB. For that he's worth 20m because there aren't even 15 guys on the planet that are consistent year to year top 15 talent. But SEA has no reason to pay him that right now, so why should they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It ain't that hard to be consistent when there's no pressure on you. Andrew Luck is under constant pressure in terms of having to score points, move the ball, getting his team back in the game, putting the team on his back, and of course being actually under pressure in terms of getting harrassed by defenders all day, getting hit and sacked all day. And he still performs. That's a great QB. That's an art. To make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.

Russell Wilson doesn't have to go through any of that. He is a good QB but that's it. He's not special.

Jim Plunkett says HI. Granted he's only a 1x SB MVP, but he did win two titles. 

Different time different game.  Note I said the narrative around Eli, him being a "Big Time" QB and all. :)

With Plunkett he was reviving his career like Vinny on the Jets and the Raiders despite their great host of HOF players were not going to get the benefit of the doubt because of AL Davis on that type of player.  And the running game then was far more impactful then now... Different game

I just feel that in the case of the Giants and Eli Manning they will get the benefit of the doubt and Eli will go in. 

And I for one would have rather had Jim Plunkett as QB over Eli for the record! :)

Wilson is a product of their offense/team, they'd be stupid to pay him Brady/Peyton/A-Rod type money. Luck might deserve it. Russell Wilson doesn't, Flacco doesn't, Kaepernick doesn't. The Seahawks are still playoff and maybe even superbowl material with any other clown throwing the ball for them. Wilson's career is going to end the minute he leaves Seattle.

Hot take of the day

No doubt he isn't Brady/Manning/Rogers. Problem is there are 3 of those guys. In a world where teams pay $16M for Darrelle Revis, $20M is not outrageous for Wilson.

You might have a point there.  I think 16 is outrageous for Revis, but the Jets shelled it out

He is not worth the money for the upgrade if you have a 2nd tier guy like Matt Ryan or Eli Manning (yes, flame away) but if your QB is a dumpster fire made from a dumpster of soiled diapers... he is definitely worth the $20M. The delta is just so huge.

2nd tier guys like Matt Ryan and Eli Manning make... drum roll.... $20M a year.   Well, actually $19.75M and $19.5M.  Not worth the upgrade?

There is nothing that supports any of this.  

2nd tier guys like Matt Ryan and Eli Manning make... drum roll.... $20M a year. Well, actually $19.75M and $19.5M. Not worth the upgrade?

I do love having a fact checker obsesse with me. Fine, not worth upgrade over third tier. Please provide cap numbers for that tier, assistant.

I do love having a fact checker obsesse with me. Fine, not worth upgrade over third tier. Please provide cap numbers for that tier, assistant.

Aw.  Sorry the facts got in your way.  My point is more that there is no 2nd tier.  Legit starters get in the 18-20 range now.  sh*t guys get $2-5M   There is not much in between.  Didn't Alex Smith get around $18M per?  In that world how do you not pay Wilson $20M or thereabout?  There is no "mid-tier" anymore.

Aw. Sorry the facts got in your way. My point is more that there is no 2nd tier. Legit starters get in the 18-20 range now. sh*t guys get $2-5M There is not much in between. Didn't Alex Smith get around $18M per? In that world how do you not pay Wilson $20M or thereabout? There is no "mid-tier" anymore.

You take this way too seriously with your constant projecting. I love sending you into a research tizzy over a ten second post made from my toilet.

Archived