Dolphins Extend Tannehill for Big Money

CrazyCarl40

• However, for the extra $7M the Dolphins got cap space in 2016, and locked up Ryan Tannehill at a bargain rate for the final 3 years.
    Blogger / Podcaster
  • tEOjmTUC_normal.jpg
    If the Dolphins had carried on with Tannehill's old deal & tagged him it would have run then $38M over 3 years instead of $45M over 3 years.
    Blogger / Podcaster

This is why it's a bad move for the Fins;

They spent $7M over worse case scenario (Tannehill plays out his contract and gets tagged) 

If he proves to be a true franchise QB, he will renegotiate before the last 3 "cheap" years

If he regresses they are stuck with the contract

Under the old deal they had a way out and there was still time to lock him up 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be shocked if you are still around here in 2017.  BTW, redundancy does not make your low rent stream of consciousness rant any less idiotic and over the top.  Lastly, no one was slobbering on his knob -- just pointing out your stupidity.  Different subjects, stronzo.

I am subjected to reading your idiotic rants & continuous negativity.

Where are all of these games where Geno throws 5 feet over our receivers heads? Or misses WIDE OPEN WRS "all the time"?

Complete fallacy.

I watch every game. Geno has had 2 absolutely horrible games in his career. At San Diego & the Bills home game.

Geno was thrown into the fray way too early in his career.

Plus the Jets have had very little offensive talent for years. Plus, they have been tinkering with the Oline trying to find the right combination.

Winters was a complete failure. Colon has led the league in false starts. Aboushi is learning on the job. Breno is a very AVERAGE RT.

One of biggest things Geno has had working against him is playing QB for the offensive idiot a Rex Ryan!

Geno may not be the answer at QB for the Jets but at least this coming year we have an OC that will try to implement an offense that match his skill set.

We have 4 WRs now where at one time his #1 Kerley will end up at #4 once Smith gets up to speed. His rookie TE should step up in his 2nd year. And lastly you can see the effort being put into Special Teams unit that keeps us from starting inside our own 20 on every drive and keeps the opposing team from starting between the 30 & 40 yard line for 60 minutes.

All of these changes combined with an offensive talent infusion along with a PROFESSIONAL secondary should help immensely!

If the alternative was to let him go via Free Agency then I can guarantee you there would be many teams trying to sign him, including the Jets.

Miami really didn't have a choice. When you have a young QB that throws for over 4,000 yards and has a better than 2-1 TD to INT ratio you need to keep him unless you're in that rare situation that the Chargers were in years ago with Brees starting and Rivers sitting on your bench.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

You put those #'s on the Jets this year with this D. Massive Playoff contender. Set for a deep playoff run.

He's a good young QB. If he continues to improve as he is doing, in 2 years that will look like a bargain.

Agreed. Can you imagine having a guy like Tannenhill on this team, throwing to Marshall, Decker, Kerley, Smith and Amaro to go along with our run game and D? We'd definitely be serious contenders and would have a legit shot at the division especially with the players NE lost and Brady's 4 game suspension.

As much as I hate the Dolphins Ryan is not a bad QB. He has improved since they hired Bill Lazor who helped Nick Foles have his breakout year, as soon as Lazor left Foles fell off. I can see Lazor being the next HC of the Phins especially if they miss the playoffs.

Agreed. Can you imagine having a guy like Tannenhill on this team, throwing to Marshall, Decker, Kerley, Smith and Amaro to go along with our run game and D? We'd definitely be serious contenders and would have a legit shot at the division especially with the players NE lost and Brady's 4 game suspension.

I'm glad we don't have Tannehill because he is a weak-willed punk-ass bitch with a track record of coming up small when it matters most and, like Chad Pennington, struggles mightily against good defenses. 

24 TDs and 4000 yards in today's NFL is not all that awesome. Prior to 2003, 40TDs in a season had only been accomplished 3 times. You would have needed 43 or more to lead the league the last 5 years. 

Prior to 2002 there would maybe be one or two guys a year who would top 4000 yards. Now, you've got to flirt with 5000 if you want to crack the top 5. 

Prior to 2002, when Pennington led the league with a 104.2 passer rating. The league leader would be right around 100 most years, rarely above 105. In fact, there had only been 5 players who ever cracked 105 for a season prior to that time. Since 2007, 105.5 has been the lowest passer rating to lead the league for a season. 

Due to the rules changed implemented about 8-10 years ago, the passing game has opened up dramatically, making achieving numbers like Tannehill's not nearly as impressive as it would have been prior to that.

Making these arguments that Tannehill is so awesome because he threw for more than 4000 yards his first two years is just as bad and short sighted as saying Joe Montana sucked because he never threw for more than 4000 yards. 

Tell me, at their best, who would you rather have? I'll save you some time, Joe Montana won his first Super Bowl in his third year. He didn't have Jerry Rice until his 7th year, after he had already won his second Super Bowl throwing to the likes of Dwight Clark, Freddie Solomon and Renaldo Nehemiah. So much for lacking weapinzzz.

Jesus Christ man, who's comparing him to Montana? 

They're paying Tannehill for what they hope he'll be rather than what he actually is.  Sounds like a pretty typical Tannenbaum move.  Maybe he ends up a top 12 guy consistently, but more likely I think this is the kiss of death. 

Shut up.  You told me we should welcome Ryan Fitzpatrick as a conquering hero.

A conquering hero.

Your words. 

Shut up.  You told me we should welcome Ryan Fitzpatrick as a conquering hero.

A conquering hero.

Your words. 

Compared to the trash we've had at the position?  Absolutely.  The dude at least has some sense of professionalism about the position.  Every single average QB that gets way overpaid, to most around here it's a good move because we don't have one of those.  You make fun of Fitz for not winning, yet Tannehill is 23-25 and just got $96M. 

Meanwhile, we have an average QB on the cheap.  In 2016 we go on the hunt for a new QB.  Meaning today, right now, our QB situation is better than the Miami Dolphins.  And probably 6-10 other teams for that matter.  I'd rather have no QB than overpay the wrong one like we did when we handed Sanchez a contract extension. 

Compared to the trash we've had at the position?  Absolutely.  Every single average QB that gets way overpaid, to most around here it's a good move because we don't have one of those.  Meanwhile, we have an average QB on the cheap.  In 2016 we go on the hunt for a new QB.  Meaning today, right now, our QB situation is better than the Miami Dolphins.

Face-to-the-Palms.jpg

Face-to-the-Palms.jpg

Please help me recognize the inaccuracies in my statements.  I know you lurrrrve Tannehill, but at least hold him to the same standards you hold Fitzpatrick.  Both QB's are coming off nice years where they didn't lead their teams to the playoffs.  Only difference is Tannehill is now being paid like a top 10 QB.  Whose evaluation of worth has been determined by Mike Tannenbaum. 

Please help me recognize the inaccuracies in my statements.  I know you lurrrrve Tannehill, but at least hold him to the same standards you hold Fitzpatrick.  Both QB's are coming off nice years where they didn't lead their teams to the playoffs.  Only difference is Tannehill is now being paid like a top 10 QB.  Whose evaluation of worth has been determined by Mike Tannenbaum. 

conquering hero

I'm glad we don't have Tannehill because he is a weak-willed punk-ass bitch with a track record of coming up small when it matters most and, like Chad Pennington, struggles mightily against good defenses. 

Realistically, is there anyone on the Dolphins you would say doesn't suck?

Is there any deal Tanny could make for them you wouldn't rip on? 

There are rational arguments, and there is the above statement.  16 per year for a QB isn't crazy money.  He is locked up till the age of 32.  He has improved every year, and has not had great talent around him.  I hate Miami, but it's not a stupid contract.

Realistically, is there anyone on the Dolphins you would say doesn't suck?

Is there any deal Tanny could make for them you wouldn't rip on? 

There are rational arguments, and there is the above statement.  16 per year for a QB isn't crazy money.  He is locked up till the age of 32.  He has improved every year, and has not had great talent around him.  I hate Miami, but it's not a stupid contract.

Does he or does he not disappear in big situations? He does. 

Does he he struggle against good defenses? Yes. 

The kid is so Pennington its ridiculous. He puts up big numbers against sh*t teams and then sh*ts the bed against anyone halfway decent. 

Two years ago, coming off a huge, emotional win over the Pats to get to 8-6 and completely in control of their own wild-card destiny, he goes 10 for 27 for 82 yards against the Bills. The following week, still in a win and in situation dude goes 20 for 40 with three picks on his own home field against the Jets. 

Last year. the Dolphins were 7-5 and, again, in control of their own destiny, Tannehill "leads" the Dolphins to a 1-3 finish and another year with no playoff appearance. 

I have provided something most of the people in this thread have not - actual statistical analysis. I have backed up my argument. I am not simply stating I think he sucks because he is a Dolphin. I would hate him if he were a Jet just as much as I hated Pennington. 

The deal itself isn't terrible because they were going to have to pay him big coin at the back end of the rookie deal.  It's basically an Andy Dalton contract.  The player is who is under question here.  And Tannenbaum's track record can most certainly be questioned when it comes to decisions like these.

Does he or does he not disappear in big situations? He does. 

Does he he struggle against good defenses? Yes. 

The kid is so Pennington its ridiculous. He puts up big numbers against sh*t teams and then sh*ts the bed against anyone halfway decent. 

Two years ago, coming off a huge, emotional win over the Pats to get to 8-6 and completely in control of their own wild-card destiny, he goes 10 for 27 for 82 yards against the Bills. The following week, still in a win and in situation dude goes 20 for 40 with three picks on his own home field against the Jets. 

Last year. the Dolphins were 7-5 and, again, in control of their own destiny, Tannehill "leads" the Dolphins to a 1-3 finish and another year with no playoff appearance. 

I have provided something most of the people in this thread have not - actual statistical analysis. I have backed up my argument. I am not simply stating I think he sucks because he is a Dolphin. I would hate him if he were a Jet just as much as I hated Pennington. 

Are you referring to the game he got injured mid game, Matt Moore came in and threw 2 picks on 6 attempts? lmfao

I love how you're putting all these losses on him meanwhile his D was giving up 35pts a game down that stretch.

If he was our QB in his 3rd season playing the way he does, you'd be putting him Canton. 

Are you referring to the game he got injured mid game, Matt Moore came in and threw 2 picks on 6 attempts? lmfao

I love how you're putting all these losses on him meanwhile his D was giving up 35pts a game down that stretch.

If he was our QB in his 3rd season playing the way he does, you'd be putting him Canton. 

You only love him because you have this weird fascination with any QB who doesn't play for the Jets, especially if they play in the state of Florida. 

You loved Josh Freeman and Chad Henne too. You have no credibility. 

You only love him because you have this weird fascination with any QB who doesn't play for the Jets, especially if they play in the state of Florida. 

You loved Josh Freeman and Chad Henne too. You have no credibility. 

Josh Freeman and Chad Henne would have been outstanding here.  OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!

Really? Not so sure about that. 

The potential was absolutely there. His weak arm was literally his sole deficiency and proved to be his undoing in the playoffs when opposing defenses would jam receivers and play short to intermediary middle zones all day knowing that Penny wouldn't test them deep and didn't have enough on his throws to test them outside.

Frankly, I just don't understand the point you're trying to make by calling Tannehill "a Pennington with a stronger arm". That's strong praise, and as much as I was done with Penny by '05, I don't know that Tannehill deserves it yet. 

Thank you, I had to leave for a bit.

He's a good young QB.  How much does Matt Ryan make?  Matt Ryan came had 2 excellent WR and a HOF TE and a good running game.  The Fish have... what exactly on offense?  Oh yeah, 2/5 of their O Line hazed each other.

Archived