"The extra point rule for 2015 just changed"

Morrissey

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many points is it if the defense returns a 2pt attempt? 2 pts? Lol

Or a blocked XP attempt. This actually adds some value to special teams play. After the last round of rule changes the only thing that mattered on specials was having a punter. Now teams can actually gain advantage by being better on XP plays. I guess.

NFL changes PAT rule for 2015

NFL 28m
nfl.gif

The ball will be snapped from the 15-yard line and 2-point tries will stay at the 2-yard line. If the kick is blocked or the 2-point try is fumbled or intercepted, the defense can return the ball back to the opposite end zone for 2 points.

I'm not a big fan of this rule change for a few reasons.

1) A PAT should be almost "automatic."  That's the way it was designed.  Unfortunately, the kicker just became an even bigger factor in the game of football.

2) An extra layer/step of officiating has just been introduced.  Now, after a team scores a TD, the referee must confer with the scoring team and ask where the ball should be spotted.  Who does the referee ask?  The head coach?  What if the head coach decides to change his mind before the play has been executed?

3) The element of surprise in going for two points (audible, botched snap, fake FG) has been eliminated.

More complexity, more officiating, and more important kickers.  It's not the end of the world, but why fix something that's not broken?

1) A PAT should be almost "automatic."  That's the way it was designed.  Unfortunately, the kicker just became an even bigger factor in the game of football.

2) An extra layer/step of officiating has just been introduced.  Now, after a team scores a TD, the referee must confer with the scoring team and ask where the ball should be spotted.  Who does the referee ask?  The head coach?  What if the head coach decides to change his mind before the play has been executed?

3) The element of surprise in going for two points (audible, botched snap, fake FG) has been eliminated.

More complexity, more officiating, and more important kickers.  It's not the end of the world, but why fix something that's not broken?

^This

DoubleDown, on 19 May 2015 - 6:55 PM, said\]

:I'm not a big fan of this rule change for a few reasons. 1) A PAT should be almost "automatic." That's the way it was designed. Unfortunately, the kicker just became an even bigger factor in the game of football. 2) An extra layer/step of officiating has just been introduced. Now, after a team scores a TD, the referee must confer with the scoring team and ask where the ball should be spotted. Who does the referee ask? The head coach? What if the head coach decides to change his mind before the play has been executed? 3) The element of surprise in going for two points (audible, botched snap, fake FG) has been eliminated. More complexity, more officiating, and more important kickers. It's not the end of the world, but why fix something that's not broken?

^This

^Double Down on this "THIS"!!

1) A PAT should be almost "automatic." That's the way it was designed. Unfortunately, the kicker just became an even bigger factor in the game of football.

2) An extra layer/step of officiating has just been introduced. Now, after a team scores a TD, the referee must confer with the scoring team and ask where the ball should be spotted. Who does the referee ask? The head coach? What if the head coach decides to change his mind before the play has been executed?

More complexity, more officiating, and more important kickers. It's not the end of the world, but why fix something that's not broken?

Because Roger Goodell wanted it this way.

The ironic part is that teams worked really hard to make that a "safe" automatic play. Now teams will be trying to disrupt the kick adding more opportunity for injury, in addition to a possible extra play at the goal line.

I like it. I like that it takes mundane plays that everyone takes for granted, and creates consequence in removing the 'automatic' aspect.

This is one change tvat makes the game more interesting. Not change for the sake of change. No logic against it, other than traditionalism, which I get but don't really care about in this case.

Because Roger Goodell wanted it this way.

The ironic part is that teams worked really hard to make that a "safe" automatic play. Now teams will be trying to disrupt the kick adding more opportunity for injury, in addition to a possible extra play at the goal line.

Opportunity for injury is equal on every play. No logic in this whiny argument.

Every play should matter BECAUSE the risk of injury is constant.

So it's a 32 yarder? Great. New ways for the Jets to **** up and lose are always fun.

Nick Folk wont miss a PAT. I wish they just gave the option of an automatic 1 point, or a 2-pt attempt.

Why should it be automatic? Just make touchdowns 7 points and skip the PAT. If you're going to have kickers, no reason why they shouldn't play a part of the outcome of a game. 

No more fake kick extra points. I would have rather it gone the other way, with both kicks and 2 point attemps from the 1 yard line. The pat would still be basically automatic, but 2 point tries would most likely go way up, and the possibility of fakes would remain.

Opportunity for injury is equal on every play. No logic in this whiny argument.

Every play should matter BECAUSE the risk of injury is constant.

Teams worked hard to make it an extremely safe play reducing injury by a wide margin. Mr. Player Safety Commissioner just increased the odds.

I don't really care about the rule change, just find that ironic.

1. I agree. See my last post above.

2. Good point. I assume refs will take the ball to the 15 yard line unless informed otherwise to remove that unnecessary step.

3. Surprise 2point attempt is rare. Almost rare to the point of once in a year or two. I don't remember the last time I saw a fake attempt. Botched snap means its a botched play anyways. You messed up means you messed up.

4. It was broken. how many times do you watch the 1 point attempt like a normal play? This puts some emphasis on the play and not just a time wasting 40+ seconds, several times a game.

No more fake kick extra points. I would have rather it gone the other way, with both kicks and 2 point attemps from the 1 yard line. The pat would still be basically automatic, but 2 point tries would most likely go way up, and the possibility of fakes would remain.

When was the last time you saw a fake PAT attempt?

Tim Tebow and the pistol offense will rule 2pt conversions!

That's another point, teams might want to start thinking about dressing a big running goal line QB for those situations. Have the extra blocker on the field. Chip Kelly is really just a step ahead of the rest of the leagues.

Why should it be automatic? Just make touchdowns 7 points and skip the PAT. If you're going to have kickers, no reason why they shouldn't play a part of the outcome of a game. 

For strictly purist reasons.  It was designed to be automatic from the very beginning when the objective of the game flipped from kicking field goals to scoring touchdowns.

Kickers have plenty of influence on the game already.  I just don't see the need to increase it even more.

DoubleDown, on 19 May 2015 - 6:55 PM, said\]

:I'm not a big fan of this rule change for a few reasons. 1) A PAT should be almost "automatic." That's the way it was designed. Unfortunately, the kicker just became an even bigger factor in the game of football. 2) An extra layer/step of officiating has just been introduced. Now, after a team scores a TD, the referee must confer with the scoring team and ask where the ball should be spotted. Who does the referee ask? The head coach? What if the head coach decides to change his mind before the play has been executed? 3) The element of surprise in going for two points (audible, botched snap, fake FG) has been eliminated. More complexity, more officiating, and more important kickers. It's not the end of the world, but why fix something that's not broken?

^Double Down on this "THIS"!!

Biggest issue. Making the kicker more valuable. Seems like that's the last thing the league would want to do.

Archived