Chan Gailey just put the nail in the coffin on the 2015 season

jetscrazey

Have you watched the video of Tebow's throwing motion being fixed? All these guys have impeccable mechanics in training camp, but once the games start and they start getting hit for real is when you see players actual throwing motions come out.

That's why I love people saying mariota is the next Aaron Rodgers because he looked good throwing in shorts and under armour in an indoor facility.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's why I love people saying mariota is the next Aaron Rodgers because he looked good throwing in shorts and under armour in an indoor facility.

Wut? Mariota has really good mechanics, his release is extremely quick. What you have to worry about with Mariota, is can he make NFL reads and can he thread the needle. He's shown that he can do these things, although not much. Though with his work ethic I wouldn't bet against him. Plus with his athleticism he at least ends up like Kaepernick barring injury of course.

LOL, no it wasn't a mistake, in fact it was brilliant.  Bowles, before his first training camp practice diffused a QB controversy that the media would fan the flames to oblivion, removing the biggest storyline from the media agenda this fall. 

Smith still has to perform, the Jets have invested in this player, he deserves, and the tea deserves to exhaust every opportunity to find out if that investment is the future or not.  Fitzpatrick is a stop gap veteran who knows Gailey's system and is injurance, and a good back-up, while they groom the future in Petty.  It was brilliance.

The media is just whining as usual!

This 100%

The HC and GM understood an entire summer calling for Petty to start based upon based on camp completion percentages was not going to be helpful to the team and so they nipped any such foolishness in the bud before it could even begin.

And yet people are complaining and comparing this to Rex who by his own admissions paid NO attention to offensive and often stated after games he wasn't even aware of the offensive players (Holmes) not even being on the field.....

Have you watched the video of Tebow's throwing motion being fixed? All these guys have impeccable mechanics in training camp, but once the games start and they start getting hit for real is when you see players actual throwing motions come out.

OK, ffs just be negative about everything.....

I would not read a whole hell of a lot into this.  Starting QB is a moving target and, at this moment, Geno gets it by default  He is the incumbent and is fit to play. Well, at least, he isn't uninjured.  Fitz is not recovered and cleared to play and the others are either too green or just not capable of being starters.  Nothing to see here and certainly nothing worth getting worked up about or dissecting. 

It's been pretty facinating to see how Jets fans have reacted to this. Half crave having a guy named starter... Anyone, they just don't want the position empty, even during the offseason.

The other half embrace competition and feel that's how winning teams are built.

Wherever you stand, Geno has done NOTHING to be crowned the starter at this stage of the offseason. As far as I'm concerned there are 3 players who have zero competition for their starting spots... Revis, D'Brick and Mangold.

Every other position, including D-line, should be a battle until opening day.

Fitz is hurt and knows the Gailley system. Geno is the only other viable starter right now on the roster , he needs all the reps , it makes absolute sense to name him the starter so that he's not splitting reps needlessly with QB's who will not start. 

Fitz is hurt and knows the Gailley system. Geno is the only other viable starter right now on the roster , he needs all the reps , it makes absolute sense to name him the starter so that he's not splitting reps needlessly with QB's who will not start. 

Exactly this. If everyone wants a competition and Fitz isn't healthy, are we going to have Geno go up against Simms? For those who wont believe it, this is the best course of action at this very moment. 

It's been pretty facinating to see how Jets fans have reacted to this. Half crave having a guy named starter... Anyone, they just don't want the position empty, even during the offseason.

The other half embrace competition and feel that's how winning teams are built.

Wherever you stand, Geno has done NOTHING to be crowned the starter at this stage of the offseason. As far as I'm concerned there are 3 players who have zero competition for their starting spots... Revis, D'Brick and Mangold.

Every other position, including D-line, should be a battle until opening day.

Jesus Christ, Chan said "probably", because Simms definitely sucks, Petty is definitely not starting from day one, and Fitz probably won't be all the way back from the injury. Given the circumstances, Geno becomes the last man standing at the moment. So.... probably is probably the most honest answer right now, in May, until something happens to change it.

The fans are the ones that have built the "he's been unjustly crowned the starter" narrative.

You're worried about the horrible strategy of naming Geno the starter, but you think it's advisable to fire the offensive coordinator now. For this. 

Un-*******-real.

I feel the reason Chan. decided to make a quick decision is because he said he would Taylor the offence to the strengths of the quarterback. This takes time to implement a system into a team and I feel he believes he can best create a system to suit geno rather than Fitz. Geno has more upside, is younger, and I'm sure he is doing what he feels is best for the team. I'm sure he didn't just flip a coin and come up with Geno. I'm sure he feels he can bring out the best in Geno.

Look at some of the stats from Aikman, Payton, Eli, Elway, and more, they didn't do very good their first couple of years. And they weren't system quarterbacks like geno. I say give him a chance and if he doesn't produce, no excuses, Petty will be next in line 2016.

Jesus Christ, Chan said "probably", because Simms definitely sucks, Petty is definitely not starting from day one, and Fitz probably won't be all the way back from the injury. Given the circumstances, Geno becomes the last man standing at the moment. So.... probably is probably the most honest answer right now, in May, until something happens to change it.

The fans are the ones that have built the "he's been unjustly crowned the starter" narrative.

You're worried about the horrible strategy of naming Geno the starter, but you think it's advisable to fire the offensive coordinator now. For this. 

Un-*******-real.

Did you watch the press conference? Gailey made it clear as day Geno's starting. He basically came out and said, barring injury he's starting. And much to my fear, he fell into the talent trap. The problem with these coaches is their to cocky, they feel they can take a raw qb and turn into him a franchise qb. It doesn't work like that, Geno is fast and has a big arm but he's not a starter in this league. He just doesn't have the brain for it. He can't make reads fast enough at this level and lacks the needle like accuracy that separates the top qbs from the rest of the bunch.

Did you watch the press conference? Gailey made it clear as day Geno's starting. He basically came out and said, barring injury he's starting. And much to my fear, he fell into the talent trap. The problem with these coaches is their to cocky, they feel they can take a raw qb and turn into him a franchise qb. It doesn't work like that, Geno is fast and has a big arm but he's not a starter in this league. He just doesn't have the brain for it. He can't make reads fast enough at this level and lacks the needle like accuracy that separates the top qbs from the rest of the bunch.

This is exactly why it means ugatz.  He is the starter now, but there is plenty of time for him to lose the spot -- or not.  The team is not making a big deal out of this being a fluid situation, which is the right way to handle it.  Geno gets the nod by default, since there really isn't any other sane option as things currently stand.

This is exactly why it means ugatz.  He is the starter now, but there is plenty of time for him to lose the spot -- or not.  The team is not making a big deal out of this being a fluid situation, which is the right way to handle it.  Geno gets the nod by default, since there really isn't any other sane option as things currently stand.

The problem is, what Gailey basically said is the only way he loses the job until the games start is if he gets injured. And even once preseason starts, I doubt they pull him until like game 4-6 of the regular season and throw in an unprepared Fitz. I think we can make the playoffs with Fitz starting, the defense is supremely talented and with a qb that throws more tds then he turns it over were in the playoffs. Fitz can do this, Geno can't.

Another thing Gailey mentioned is that he didn't have a timetable on when to pull a guy for struggling. That press conference pretty much confirmed their going all in on Geno, and it's going to backfire, hard.

Yes.

He said probably.

The ninnies here extrapolated it beyond that, while ignoring everything I said in the post you quoted.

Our fans are an embarrassment.

Nail in the coffin? Don't ya think that's overreacting just a little bit??

there's more than one way to skin the cat. Maybe this dude can put together an offense that at least makes some kind of sense to the players.

Speaking of players, we actually have some now.

Really don't understand why people think Geno might be getting better coaching by pulling him for half of the first team reps in the name of competition. His best chance to succeed comes from getting all the reps with the first team, with the receivers he'll be playing with in the regular season.

Also don't understand the fleet of Rex Ryan haters here who'd like to see the Jets sneak into the playoffs with a top three defense and a game managing QB. Lol. Geno's ceiling is dramatically higher than Fitzpatrick's. Geno getting it gives the offense a chance to be dynamic. There is no such chance behind Fitzpatrick. Fitz is a nice backup. An experienced starter, experienced in Gailey's system, and obviously very intelligent. He's here to help Geno, and step in if need be. But they're being wise by going all in with Geno now, and determining once and for all whether he's going to be the team's starter or not.

If Geno falls on his face the first quarter of the season (and I think they'll at least give him that), the team has a very early week 5 bye this year. Perfect time to bench him and give Fitz two weeks worth of work if you believe it's the QB that's holding the team back.

The problem is, what Gailey basically said is the only way he loses the job until the games start is if he gets injured. And even once preseason starts, I doubt they pull him until like game 4-6 of the regular season and throw in an unprepared Fitz. I think we can make the playoffs with Fitz starting, the defense is supremely talented and with a qb that throws more tds then he turns it over were in the playoffs. Fitz can do this, Geno can't.

Another thing Gailey mentioned is that he didn't have a timetable on when to pull a guy for struggling. That press conference pretty much confirmed their going all in on Geno, and it's going to backfire, hard.

I agree wholeheartedly on Geno's shortcomings.   However, I am not taking Chan's remarks at face value and running with them.

Regarding the quotes, remember, this is this is the OC -- one word from the HC further down the road and things change.  End of discussion. I really get the feeling they wanted to minimize discussion of QB question marks  for as long as possible and this is the result.  Note, when asked about QB competition Chan replied: "not going in" which doesn't exactly shut the door.  

When he went on with: "because Geno's the starter" -- he could have just as easily (and honestly) come back with: "because we currently don't have the pieces for a legitimate competition".   With Fitz on the shelf, what else could Chan have said?  Seems like a smart way to wrap the topic up for now.  Additionally, when pressed for confirmation that Geno will be week 1 starter, the response was less than black and white affirmation -- "don’t make me say yes, but probably”.   Not unequivocal, but again puts the discussion with the press to rest for the time being.

I really think the front office is using this as a tactical PR move.  I have a hard time seeing a new GM and HC (especially guys who appear to be very smart and savvy) digging a hole for themselves so early by sticking with Geno if he drags the team down with his play.  Nothing wrong with a little misdirection and wiggle room when dealing with the press, which is completely different than what we had with the former brain-trust.  There is no need to tip their hand to the press or the rest of the league at this point by blindly spilling their guts.

Since when did Fitzpatrick get injured?

He broke his leg in December and is still recovering.  He might not be available until the preseason or even the start of the regular season as a result.  Hence why Geno is the default starter right now.  Though Fitz did say back in late April he'd be on pace to be ready for training camp.  So we'll see.

Show me the quote that says probably. Since you're so confident.

Everything I read and watched on TV said "Gailey says there is no QB competition and Geno is our starting QB".

Where's the word probably? I wouldn't call for a guy to be fired if he said anything followed by maybe or probably.

Also, at what point when you worked out Petty (because obviously you did a private work out with him) did you come to the conclusion he can't start this year?

Please google the evaluations of Russell Wilson regarding him coming out of the draft. NO ONE ON THE PLANET felt he could be a day one starter. Best case scenario for him was maybe becoming a serviceable starter year 2 or 3, but was projected as most likely a solid back up.

What happened there? How do you think you find guys like Sherman and Wilson?

COMPETITION!!!!

*Kisses*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at the date when the statement was made.

Probably.

Show me the quote that says probably. Since you're so confident.

Everything I read and watched on TV said "Gailey says there is no QB competition and Geno is our starting QB".

Where's the word probably? I wouldn't call for a guy to be fired if he said anything followed by maybe or probably.

Also, at what point when you worked out Petty (because obviously you did a private work out with him) did you come to the conclusion he can't start this year?

Please google the evaluations of Russell Wilson regarding him coming out of the draft. NO ONE ON THE PLANET felt he could be a day one starter. Best case scenario for him was maybe becoming a serviceable starter year 2 or 3, but was projected as most likely a solid back up.

What happened there? How do you think you find guys like Sherman and Wilson?

COMPETITION!!!!

*Kisses*

Direct quote:

"RIGHT NOW, Geno is the starter," Gailey said, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. "And the way we expect it to be."

Not probably but not no matter what. Still combined with other comments it confused.

Except of course the FACT that he HAS turned crappy QBs into quite proficient QBs, tailoring his offense to their strengths. He made Thigpen. Fitz and Kordell well above average in his system. Geno is not dumb. And he is pretty accurate especially deep. What you refuse to acknowledge is that he was in the worst possible offense for him without any talent around him. As Gailey said, he never had a clean read. He made some mistakes. Made way less last year. But just go on irrationally hating and not allowing for the fact that Gailey just might know what he is talking about. And he is designing the offense for Geno.

I agree wholeheartedly on Geno's shortcomings.   However, I am not taking Chan's remarks at face value and running with them.

Regarding the quotes, remember, this is this is the OC -- one word from the HC further down the road and things change.  End of discussion. I really get the feeling they wanted to minimize discussion of QB question marks  for as long as possible and this is the result.  Note, when asked about QB competition Chan replied: "not going in" which doesn't exactly shut the door.  

When he went on with: "because Geno's the starter" -- he could have just as easily (and honestly) come back with: "because we currently don't have the pieces for a legitimate competition".   With Fitz on the shelf, what else could Chan have said?  Seems like a smart way to wrap the topic up for now.  Additionally, when pressed for confirmation that Geno will be week 1 starter, the response was less than black and white affirmation -- "don’t make me say yes, but probably”.   Not unequivocal, but again puts the discussion with the press to rest for the time being.

I really think the front office is using this as a tactical PR move.  I have a hard time seeing a new GM and HC (especially guys who appear to be very smart and savvy) digging a hole for themselves so early by sticking with Geno if he drags the team down with his play.  Nothing wrong with a little misdirection and wiggle room when dealing with the press, which is completely different than what we had with the former brain-trust.  There is no need to tip their hand to the press or the rest of the league at this point by blindly spilling their guts.

Ummm, no. Gailey stated unequivocally that Geno is the starter, and also said that Bowles has stated he is the starter. He also said he would not lose his position as starter in camp, and does not believe in a short hook for the QB because of a couple bad games. He also definitively stated the offense is being built for GENO. He could not have been more clear. There was no PR in this at all. Geno is the Day 1 starter. Period. You may not like it, and want to come up with all these mental gymnastics on how he was unclear but he was crystal. Geno starts. Why anyone would think the Jets would do something else is beyond me. And no competition is better for Geno.

We were saying the same sh*t about Morninwheg 2 years ago, about how he would be good for our qbs and turn them around. Now he's considered a joke on this forum. And Morninwheg had a better track record with qbs then Gailey does.

Gailey has taken Kordell Stewart, Tyler Thigpen and Ryan Fitzpatrick and developed them into serviceable quarterbacks while he was coaching them.  If he feels he can do the same with Geno I am open to him trying.  Also, if you know anything about Gailey, he doesn't try to cram his system down the qbs throat; he tailors the system to fit the qb skillset and abilities.   I realize nothing I say will convince you otherwise and the only thing that truly matters is what happens on the field.   

Until I have reason to feel otherwise, I'm going with the glass half full look on this.

Geno has excellent physical skills, he smart enough to do the job, he had outstanding confidence, which is also a prerequisite for that job. His arm isn't bad and he's sneaky mobile too.

All of these things combined with him coming from a big college program and a solid work ethic/ attitude would have made him a top 20 pick.

He slipped because he is lazy, bad attitude, not dedicated to his craft and all of this leads to wild inconsistent play.

Why waste more time? We knew what he was when we drafted him and his pro career is a replica of his college career.

Lazy and not committed doesn't change.

I've been watching this team for 30 years including 4 disastrous ones with Rex. I'm not prepared to write off anther year on a guy like this.

Trade for Glennon and let Him, Fitz and Petty fight it out. We have a bunch of guys who's clock is ticking. Mangold, D'Brick, Revis, Harris, Cro, Marshall. That's a LT, #1 CB, #1 WR... some of the most important positions on an NFL team... and not easy to replace.

Now is the time.

Oh, and would have no problem endorsing Geno as the holder on extra points and field goals, for those of you who love him. You don't have to show up on time for meetings to do that job consistently.

Okay now that you have vented hopefully you can accept the reality that Geno is the starter until proven otherwise; they are not trading him for Glennon, Fitz and Petty are not "fighting it out" (wow, just wow).   It doesn't matter whether you "endorse" Geno for Dog Catcher.    Get used to seeing him under Center. Perhaps you may discover that some of your opinions are incorrect. 

Archived