Chan Gailey just put the nail in the coffin on the 2015 season

jetscrazey

If Geno falls on his face the first quarter of the season (and I think they'll at least give him that), the team has a very early week 5 bye this year. Perfect time to bench him and give Fitz two weeks worth of work if you believe it's the QB that's holding the team back.

what's the point by then? Just stick with geno and go for #1

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As it stands Brady is out 4 games. This is our time to get back to the playoffs. Going for the top pick in the same offseason we spent heavily is not an option.

did you read what I was responding to? Slays said give geno 4 games, if he bombs start him after the bye.. at that point irons my too late

Geno has excellent physical skills, he smart enough to do the job, he had outstanding confidence, which is also a prerequisite for that job. His arm isn't bad and he's sneaky mobile too.

All of these things combined with him coming from a big college program and a solid work ethic/ attitude would have made him a top 20 pick.

He slipped because he is lazy, bad attitude, not dedicated to his craft and all of this leads to wild inconsistent play.

Why waste more time? We knew what he was when we drafted him and his pro career is a replica of his college career.

Lazy and not committed doesn't change.

I've been watching this team for 30 years including 4 disastrous ones with Rex. I'm not prepared to write off anther year on a guy like this.

Trade for Glennon and let Him, Fitz and Petty fight it out. We have a bunch of guys who's clock is ticking. Mangold, D'Brick, Revis, Harris, Cro, Marshall. That's a LT, #1 CB, #1 WR... some of the most important positions on an NFL team... and not easy to replace.

Now is the time.

Oh, and would have no problem endorsing Geno as the holder on extra points and field goals, for those of you who love him. You don't have to show up on time for meetings to do that job consistently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no evidence that he is lazy, quite to the contrary he is said to be incredibly hard working, to the point that the previous regime encouraged him to take some time off. He missed a meeting, but his teammates are behind him and NFL veterans DO NOT get behind lazy QBs. He has a certain demeanor about him that comes across a little nonchalant but he is not dumb nor he is a lazy player. And we are not trading for an inferior QB in Glennon. Nor will Petty be starting unless we have a series of year ending injuries.

did you read what I was responding to? Slays said give geno 4 games, if he bombs start him after the bye.. at that point irons my too late

Depends if he can "bomb" but the team can still squeeze out a win or 2.  Cleveland-Indy-Philly-Miami.  I'd say our defense can get us a W against Cleveland.  And it's definitely up in the air how good the Eagles and Dolphins will be.  We'll see.  Ultimately I think it's moot.  If Fitz can get healthy ahead of schedule I think he wins the job, regardless of what Gailey said.  I don't take what coaches say at face value, ever. 

Depends if he can "bomb" but the team can still squeeze out a win or 2.  Cleveland-Indy-Philly-Miami.  I'd say our defense can get us a W against Cleveland.  And it's definitely up in the air how good the Eagles and Dolphins will be.  We'll see.  Ultimately I think it's moot.  If Fitz can get healthy ahead of schedule I think he wins the job, regardless of what Gailey said.  I don't take what coaches say at face value, ever. 

OMG that is just idiotic. He could not have been more clear. Geno is the starter. Period. You need to accept it. He literally said he would not lose the #1 position from practice, TC or even struggles as he believes in staying the course. You hate him, but Fitz starting is a fantasy unless Geno is injured. He was not brought here to start and Bowles and Chan TOLD HIM THAT. ffs

Im looking forward to watching Geno this season. 

You know we drafted a 24 year old from the spread in Bryce Petty and everyone in the world says he needs to sit this year. 

Well we drafted  22 year old from the spread in Geno Smith and started him from day 1 and who did he have to throw the ball to as starters? Clyde Gates and Jeff cumberland? Think about that - The guy was going to struggle. 

We had one of the worst rosters in the NFL the last two years which people don't understand. We have certainly improved to a middle of the pack team with wildcard upside and Geno finally has weapons. Even without weapons surrounded by garbage he has flashed and certainly has upside to be a middle of the pack starting QB in this league. 

Whats the most intriguing to me is to see if Geno continues his improvement from the last 4 games of last season. Sure he improved at the end of season 1 but not at all the same. Towards the end of season 2 he stopped caring what everyone else thought and became very aggressive and trust himself. The last few games on third down he stopped those BS 5 yard passes that lead to int's. On 3rd down when they blitzed him he went for the kill(See Miami game). His pocket mobility improved and He also showed the ability to believe in himself and not care what anyone else thought which I always thought the great ones do. That always killed sanchez. 

Sure Geno could bust but he is the no brainer starter over the first half of this season. Ryan Fitzatrick has never brought a team to the playoffs and never will. We traded for him to be a cheap backup and teach Geno and Petty the system.

I could care less if I'm the 1% that doesn't hate Geno. I really look forward to seeing this guy with a Legit number 1 WR, a great number 2 in Decker and mismatches like Amaro, and Kerley. And Yes, I want to see my boy Oswu be used more against teams Dime CB's. 

what's the point by then? Just stick with geno and go for #1

This is the first year of a new regime, and a total rebuild of the roster. The QB spot continues to be the biggest question mark on the team. I'm not thinking Super Bowl this year, are you?

I expected some sort of QB competition, but I'm also not the least bit freaked out about this "announcement" because I've been saying all off season that it would be Geno's job to lose. I thought the Jets should and would start Geno to start the year. And while I expected a competition, I like this even better. Going all in with Geno, giving him every opportunity to succeed, and no excuses if he doesn't. Find out definitively if he can be the guy. If he can't, you move on.

If after four games, he's completely fallen on his face, there's still twelve games left in the season. You can send Fitz out there to try and salvage a playoff spot. If he can't, you can trot Petty out there for the last couple games just to get his feet wet (if he's even ready for that).

Best case scenario for the team is Geno getting it. First year of the new regime, I think it's a perfect time to invest some time in him.

OMG that is just idiotic. He could not have been more clear. Geno is the starter. Period. You need to accept it. He literally said he would not lose the #1 position from practice, TC or even struggles as he believes in staying the course. You hate him, but Fitz starting is a fantasy unless Geno is injured. He was not brought here to start and Bowles and Chan TOLD HIM THAT. ffs

It's May.  Let's see how Fitz's injury heals and how Geno does in camp before speaking in absolutes.  I don't care how "clear" he was about this.  Coaches lie.  A lot.  If he said this in August it would hold a lot of water.  Right now?  None.

He also said there is no QB competition. That's why the press took it and ran. And that's my issue.

Everyone knows he's the starter RIGHT NOW. Bowles already said he's taking 1st reps.

That wasn't the part of the quote that got everyone's attention

Who would he compete with Simms ??   Petty ???  Fitzy is injured so why waste reps with backups that won't start this year.

This is the first year of a new regime, and a total rebuild of the roster. The QB spot continues to be the biggest question mark on the team. I'm not thinking Super Bowl this year, are you?

I expected some sort of QB competition, but I'm also not the least bit freaked out about this "announcement" because I've been saying all off season that it would be Geno's job to lose. I thought the Jets should and would start Geno to start the year. And while I expected a competition, I like this even better. Going all in with Geno, giving him every opportunity to succeed, and no excuses if he doesn't. Find out definitively if he can be the guy. If he can't, you move on.

If after four games, he's completely fallen on his face, there's still twelve games left in the season. You can send Fitz out there to try and salvage a playoff spot. If he can't, you can trot Petty out there for the last couple games just to get his feet wet (if he's even ready for that).

Best case scenario for the team is Geno getting it. First year of the new regime, I think it's a perfect time to invest some time in him.

Absolutely agree , many here have moved on from Geno and refuse to acknowledge the offensive hell hole the Jets have been in the past few years. They finally have same talent and hopefully more progressive coaching in regards to offense, let's see what Geno can do in this environment.

It's May.  Let's see how Fitz's injury heals and how Geno does in camp before speaking in absolutes.  I don't care how "clear" he was about this.  Coaches lie.  A lot.  If he said this in August it would hold a lot of water.  Right now?  None.

Yeah, he's lying to try and sneak Fitz out opening day - so he can take the league by storm :confused0082:

hqdefault.jpg

Ummm, no. Gailey stated unequivocally that Geno is the starter, and also said that Bowles has stated he is the starter. He also said he would not lose his position as starter in camp, and does not believe in a short hook for the QB because of a couple bad games. He also definitively stated the offense is being built for GENO. He could not have been more clear. There was no PR in this at all. Geno is the Day 1 starter. Period. You may not like it, and want to come up with all these mental gymnastics on how he was unclear but he was crystal. Geno starts. Why anyone would think the Jets would do something else is beyond me. And no competition is better for Geno.

+1000000000000000000000000000

All positions should be subject to competition

no more of this coronation BS 

they gave the job to Mark they gave the job to Geno 

giving the job to guys who didn't earn it will never work 

if he can't beat out Fitz in a legit competition he doesn't deserve to start 

it's not that hard the best player should play.  

Johnny,  give it up man.  It is like spitting in the wind, lol.  They will just have to find out the hard way.  I spent the last few months trying to tell anybody who would listen that it is in the Jets best interests to develop Smith if possible.  When they brought in Gailey I knew he would be intrigued by Genos ability and would want to see if he could help him put it all together.  I was told I was a delusional Geno lover.    When we signed Fiz, I had to constantly debate with folks who KNEW Geno was going to get cut maybe even before camp!    

Thank God we have a CS who understands the concept of "player development" and don't make decisions based on the comments of message board know it alls. 

Yeah, he's lying to try and sneak Fitz out opening day - so he can take the league by storm :confused0082:

Reading the comments of some of these guys and how they are choosing their own version of reality leads me to think of this: 

2174022_o.gif

No Rex had fake competition and wasted a ton reps on guys who where's never gonna start .

How can Fitz compete with him if he's not even cleared to practice. What should they hold a chess tournament and the winner is anointed starter. Right now the question is , is Geno better than Petty or Simms as that's who his only competition is right now.

Every time I think of Geno's potential I think of my friend from WV. His words, Geno is either, "really good, or really bad." Geno isn't a game manager, folks. It's all or nothing, sorry. I want to believe it too.

And we want a game manager why exactly ???

He also said there is no QB competition. That's why the press took it and ran. And that's my issue.

Everyone knows he's the starter RIGHT NOW. Bowles already said he's taking 1st reps.

That wasn't the part of the quote that got everyone's attention

Which is why I said it confusing. Right now means it could change.

There is no issue. If Geno sucks, he's eventually going to the bench. All the whining over the exact meaning of Chans words won't ever change that.

Because the Jets have the league's top defense and we can't let Geno **** it up, that's why.

Haven't we've seen enough of the game manager BS with the last HC . How about the Jets run a real offense for the first time in about a half dozen years.

Im looking forward to watching Geno this season. 

You know we drafted a 24 year old from the spread in Bryce Petty and everyone in the world says he needs to sit this year. 

Well we drafted  22 year old from the spread in Geno Smith and started him from day 1 and who did he have to throw the ball to as starters? Clyde Gates and Jeff cumberland? Think about that - The guy was going to struggle. 

We had one of the worst rosters in the NFL the last two years which people don't understand. We have certainly improved to a middle of the pack team with wildcard upside and Geno finally has weapons. Even without weapons surrounded by garbage he has flashed and certainly has upside to be a middle of the pack starting QB in this league. 

Whats the most intriguing to me is to see if Geno continues his improvement from the last 4 games of last season. Sure he improved at the end of season 1 but not at all the same. Towards the end of season 2 he stopped caring what everyone else thought and became very aggressive and trust himself. The last few games on third down he stopped those BS 5 yard passes that lead to int's. On 3rd down when they blitzed him he went for the kill(See Miami game). His pocket mobility improved and He also showed the ability to believe in himself and not care what anyone else thought which I always thought the great ones do. That always killed sanchez. 

Sure Geno could bust but he is the no brainer starter over the first half of this season. Ryan Fitzatrick has never brought a team to the playoffs and never will. We traded for him to be a cheap backup and teach Geno and Petty the system.

I could care less if I'm the 1% that doesn't hate Geno. I really look forward to seeing this guy with a Legit number 1 WR, a great number 2 in Decker and mismatches like Amaro, and Kerley. And Yes, I want to see my boy Oswu be used more against teams Dime CB's.

You are not alone in that 1%. Excellent post. I have nothing to add.

Haven't we've seen enough of the game manager BS with the last HC . How about the Jets run a real offense for the first time in about a half dozen years.

I would argue that we have run a game manager offense since 2002 with the exception of the FAVRE 2008 year.

Iffin you believe that dink and dunk is game management.

And we want a game manager why exactly ???

Cause many Jets fans have been brainwashed by Rex that winning is a combo of over aggressive defense, and ground and pound offense with a game manager QB that never makes a single mistake (in other words: recipe for mediocrity at best)

it makes sense to start geno if fitz is the other option.  if he screws up, you go to fitzmagic later in the year, leg is healed, maybe he saves the day

if you go with fitz out of the gate, it's just a bigger risk health wise and then geno comes in to a chorus of groans

it's just the logical way to go about it

Archived