Chan Gailey just put the nail in the coffin on the 2015 season

jetscrazey

Why anoint Geno as the starter?  We made the same mistake with him last season and with Sanchez.  If Geno earns the starting gig, fine.   But let every QB compete for the job.

More then likely Fitz won't be able to take full reps in camp.   The last thing we want is a Smith  Petty camp competition.  Even in the unlikely event that Petty is slightly out playing Smith, I don't want him starting this year

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not entirely sure why anyone expected any different.  He's younger, has a higher upside and is under contract on the cheap, of course they want him to win.  It also says that the margin between Fitz and Geno is not all that great or the offensive coordinator with zero ties to Geno wouldn't be anointing him. That having been said, I'm very excited for the meltdown on here that shall ensue. 

This. 

Fitz wasn't brought in to be the future of the Jets (on a ONE YEAR DEAL), he was brought in to take over in case Geno falls flat on his face.... again. I doubt Geno will succeed but the Jets have every reason to give him a chance to improve under a new OC. 

I love how everyone feels like Chan Gailey is an offensive mastermind and praises having someone who has been around the block and knows offense in charge of that side of the ball until this same person declares that Geno is the best QB we have on the roster. Instead of being impressed with Geno, we instantly say that Gailey is yet another bum heading a sinking ship.

I'm not sure that he is saying that Smith is a good QB.  I think he's saying he's all we have that is going to be healthy in Sept.  I'm not sure that is something to be impressed with Smith about.

I love the notion that some here seem to have that we would be fine with Ryan Fitzpatrick, as if he's not a guy who has led the league in interceptions. 

Fitzpatrick is the very definition of mediocre. Geno has the higher potential upside. There is literally nothing to be gained from starting the season with Fitzpatrick as the starter. 

You start Geno. If he plays his way out of the job, you put Fitz in there to try and salvage the season. The last thing you want is Fitzpatrick sh*tting the bed or getting hurt and then Geno coming in and lighting it up. 

Chan Gailey: No competition, Geno Smith is Jets starter

Posted by Darin Gantt on May 20, 2015, 2:56 PM EDT
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjGetty Images

There might be questions about the opening week starting quarterback for some teams in the AFC East, but one of them seems locked in.

The Jets, of course.

New offensive coordinator Chan Gailey told reporters today that incumbent Geno Smithwas expected to enter the season as the starting quarterback.

Gailey said he didn’t anticipate a competition for the job, saying “Because Geno’s the starter,” via Brian Costello of the New York Post.

That goes against what Jets General Manager Mike Maccagnan said in March, after trading for veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick (who played for Gailey in Buffalo).

Of course, at the moment it’s a moot point, since Fitzpatrick isn’t well enough to practice fully until training camp, as he comes off last year’s broken leg.

But it sounds like the Jets want to give Smith every opportunity to make the job his own, which he has failed to so far.

It's like you've never watched Ryan Fitzpatrick attempt to play quarterback in the NFL. 

I have....Fitzpatrick has been better than Geno.

Not saying Fitzpatrick is an all-pro, but it cannot be denied that his tape and stats are both better than Geno.

I have no probelm with the move he is the best we got and fitz is hurt-geno clearly made a bunch of bad decisions in his early career but now he has some legit talen to throw to along with a better guy running the offense

Lets not forget most of the time geno was throwing to the worst wr core in the league especially when decker was hurt-now with bmarsh decker and amare along with smith he has some skill guys-now he will have a fair shot to perform

Not saying Fitzpatrick is an all-pro, but it cannot be denied that his tape and stats are both better than Geno.

fitz had MUCH better guys to throw to-as I just posted come on geno was throwing to ultimate jaq WRS-

Operative words being 'Right now'.

Yeah.  I don't think this is a long term endorsement for Smith, they probably got the word from the Doc's that Fitz will be limited in camp, and not be ready for opening day.

Not good news with Fitz's injury history, but all we can do is hope against hope, that Smith can turn this around.  Like now.

I don't want to hear the Petty PETTY, PETTY chants during the 3rd preseason game.  

Fitzpatrick: coming off a broken leg, on the wrong side of 30, never won more than 6 games in a season as a starter. 

Smith: no major injuries, 24 years old, won 8 games as a rookie with one of the worst receiving corps in NFL history. 

Fitzpatrick: career passer rating of 79.5

Smith: career passer rating of 71.5

Ryan Fitzpatrick is not demonstrably any better and he's clearly not a long term solution. Smith still has potential. 

When it's close, potential wins EVERY time. 

The coaching staff has already come out and said Petty is not expected to contribute in year 1.  Right now people are just wildly speculating that Fitz won't be ready for training camp, but that's a big assumption until they actually come out and say it.

I love how everyone feels like Chan Gailey is an offensive mastermind and praises having someone who has been around the block and knows offense in charge of that side of the ball until this same person declares that Geno is the best QB we have on the roster. Instead of being impressed with Geno, we instantly say that Gailey is yet another bum heading a sinking ship.

And forgetting how well Geno played in the last six games after being put back at QB. The tape that most keep reminding us is out there

Archived