Chan Gailey just put the nail in the coffin on the 2015 season

jetscrazey

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000493587/article/chan-gailey-geno-smith-is-jets-starting-quarterback

We knew Geno Smith was the favorite to open the season as the New York Jets' starting quarterback.

What we didn't know until now is that offensive coordinator Chan Gailey already views Smith as the Week 1 starter, barring injury.

Gailey told reporters Wednesday that there will be no quarterback competition with veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick this summer.

"Right now, Geno is the starter," Gailey said, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. "And the way we expect it to be."

Gailey showered praise upon Smith, noting that the enigmatic quarterback can "make every throw in the book" and is "very talented."

The new regime's clear-cut delineation of the quarterback depth chart is a refreshing change from last offseason, when Rex Ryan and Michael Vick served and volleyed semantics for a couple of months while Smith was given the greater share of first-team practice reps.

The AFC East is open for the taking with Tom Brady suspended four games. If the Jets are going to outmuscle the Bills and Dolphins, Smith will have to harness his talent and avoid back-breaking turnovers after two years of disappointing play.

The front office has supplied Smith with a true No. 1 receiver (Brandon Marshall), a top-notch second receiver (Eric Decker), a playmaking deep threat (Devin Smith) and a promising pass-catching tight end (Jace Amaro) since the start of last offseason. It's now or never for the No. 39 overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft.

I ask Ray Laucas last week in a Spring Lake NJ why isn't Joe Klecko on the Show anymore JetsNation told me to ask some other guy his reply was Joe who. I hope they bring Joe Klecko the next time the show come back or before the Season start.

Troy Aikman had just as bad if not worse stats then Geno did in his first 2 years too. 

I've been a big Geno hater over the last couple months but I'm going to put my biased to the side and let the kid grow.  The leash is short though, but it is only the 3rd year and he was'n't brought along correctly.  I'm willing to give him the benefit but I need to see immediate improvement in the first quarter of the season or you immediately pull him and stick with Fitz for the rest of the season and figure things out next year.

WOW

This is not good news

Don't overreact.

If you had a nervous incumbent and you wanted to see if he had anything to show before you cast him away, you'd make him feel as comfortable as possible and get the guys in the locker room to get behind him.

Geno will get the touches in the summer, why not.  Fitzpatrick will be the starter.

SAR I

I ask Ray Laucas last week in a Spring Lake NJ why isn't Joe Klecko on the Show anymore JetsNation told me to ask some other guy his reply was Joe who. I hope they bring Joe Klecko the next time the show come back or before the Season start.

Kenneth, what is the frequency?

It's like you've never watched Ryan Fitzpatrick attempt to play quarterback in the NFL. 

Have you not seen Geno play? I can't remember Fitzpatrick ever throwing 3 INTERCEPTIONS IN A QUARTER.

Fitz is a much better option than Geno and it isn't close.

The point is he didn't have to do anything at all.  He could have easily said we'll make that decision when the time comes or any other number of understandable deflections but he chose to say Geno is the starter and that's the way we expect it to be..

And then the press would have jumped all over that statement, saying Chan didn't support last years starter.

Oh wait, they already did that months ago.

The point is he didn't have to do anything at all.  He could have easily said we'll make that decision when the time comes or any other number of understandable deflections but he chose to say Geno is the starter and that's the way we expect it to be.  Perhaps he agrees with JiF and I that you can't make a definitive decision on a young QB when you have the worst WR corps in the league and an offense that isn't suited to maximize his talents.

Biggest thing I see from doing it now.  Squashes the medias attempt at a QB controversy and "who is going to start" questions that the Jets would normally be inundated by throughout the whole offseason.  Also squashes any doubt Geno's teammates may have.  Now they know they will be going to battle with Geno and 100% get behind him like Marshall, Decker and the other guys already have done.

Why I'm not Surprise by that. They traded for Fitzpatrick because he knows OC, who's coach him in Buffalo. Get ready for another long losing season Jets Fans.

Biggest thing I see from doing it now.  Squashes the medias attempt at a QB controversy and "who is going to start" questions that the Jets would normally be inundated by throughout the whole offseason.

What's wrong with the media doing their jobs and asking questions? It's not the same thing as them stirring a QB controversy. Last time we had anything like that was Sanchez and Tebow, and there wasn't even a competition to speak of.

And then the press would have jumped all over that statement, saying Chan didn't support last years starter.

Oh wait, they already did that months ago.

I don't think Thomas Chandler Gailey Jr gives a flying **** what Manish Mehta writes.  He's 63 and was talked out of retirement.  I suspect he plans on doing this a couple years before fading back into Bolivian (as Tyson would say).

Biggest thing I see from doing it now.  Squashes the medias attempt at a QB controversy and "who is going to start" questions that the Jets would normally be inundated by throughout the whole offseason.  

maybe but I think he's getting them regardless.

I don't see this as a big deal.  Fitzpatrick is hurt and may not be ready for a while.  Petty's not going to be a factor, nor is Simms or Heap.  There's nothing to be lost by giving Geno a confidence boost that he most likely needs after dealing with the idiotic duo of Rex Ryan and Marty Morninwheg.  

When Fitzpatrick is 100% healthy, if at that point he is performing better than Geno, then he'll be the one on the field.  But, until then, there's no point in making the seat under Geno any hotter when there's zero other alternative to him.

I heard the same BS after Sparano and Mornhinweg were hired.  I put my trust in no one until they earn it.  I don't want to sh1tcan the season again by going with Geno, who I think will always be a disaster.  Just let the QBs compete for the job.

There was one constant during those years , that constant is in a colder climate now.

7-9 here we come.  Unless if Geno is magically a different QB next season, this makes no sense.  Look at his career stats then look at Fitzpatrick's.  It's not even close, Fitzpatrick is the better NFL QB, because what he lacks vs. Geno in raw talent, he makes up for in smarts and decision-making.  Gailey is falling in love with Geno's raw talent (same as Rex/Idzik), we know how badly this ends.

Smith career stats:

25 TDs, 34 INTs, 57.5% completions, 6.9 yds/attempt

Fitzpatrick career stats:

123 TDs, 101 INTS, 60.2% completions, 6.6 yards/attempt

Fitz threw for more ints than TDs in his first 5 years. Geno did it just in his rookie season. Hell, Geno was pretty bad last season and still managed to have a better year than Fitz in his 5th year (2nd yr as a starter).

And Geno had David Nelson as his #2 WR. ... /thread

I get it man. Let me suggest this to you. They SAY that Geno is #1 going into TC. But if he stinks it up in pre-season and Fitz is ready and looks good, I think Bowles will make a change. Just as he would in the regular season. As I said he's a very short leash, as he should be..

Try again

Gailey said, barring injury, there's virtually no way Smith could lose the job in the preseason. Asked whether Smith will be the Week 1 starter, Gailey smiled and said, "Don't make me say, 'Yes,' but probably.".

So much for that idea of getting the Sunday Ticket this season. Just like Jetscrazey said in the initial post 7-9 here we come. I couldn't agree more. Why bother I'll find better things to do on Sunday afternoons than waste them watching another Super Bowl-less Jets season. 

So much for that idea of getting the Sunday Ticket this season. Just like Jetscrazey said in the initial post 7-9 here we come. I couldn't agree more. Why bother I'll find better things to do on Sunday afternoons than waste them watching another Super Bowl-less Jets season.

So you where buying it to watch Fitzpatrick ? smh

Normally yes but I've noticed his football posts when it comes to Rex, Geno, and state of the team are usually correct.  There have been a few threads where he and I seem to be 2 of the only ones that get it right.

Truthslayer. 

Archived