Eric Mangini aiming to create 'confusion' with 49ers' D

BurnleyJet

What a great title, Mangina creating confusion.

Boy the 49ers regression is at Warp Speed..

Eric Mangini, the new 49ers defensive coordinator, is apparently putting his own style into San Francisco's 3-4 defense.

The hallmark? Total confusion.

"All D-coordinators have their style," 49ers safety Antoine Bethea said, via peCSN Bay Area. "Coach Mangini, his thing is we're going to cause confusion. The opposing offense isn't going to know what we're going to be able to do each down. It could be bringing the pressure. It could be dropping eight into coverage. But it's just keeping the offense on their heels. However, you want to look at it, I think it's going to be a good deal for our defense."

My first reaction to reading this quote is that I really hope confusion is not the main element here.

As much as people described Vic Fangio's defense as a line-up-and-play scheme, there was always an element of confusion there. In every defense today, there absolutely needs to be an element of confusion.

If quarterbacks are lining up with the ability to instantly locate the middle linebacker and deep safety, he can rip you apart. Even at the high school level, confusion is a principal element in every scheme.

Perhaps Mangini is doing something else that remains to be seen. If not, he still has a few months before kickoff.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000494015/article/eric-mangini-aiming-to-create-confusion-with-49ers-d

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So when Rex does it it's a great thing and he's a defensive genius but when Mangini does the same he's a moron. Makes sense.

Anyway, the Penguin knows defense, coverages, putting guys in the right spot etc. as well as anybody in football. Rooting for him and the 49ers in the NFC.

So when Rex does it it's a great thing and he's a defensive genius but when Mangini does the same he's a moron. Makes sense.

Anyway, the Penguin knows defense, coverages, putting guys in the right spot etc. as well as anybody in football. Rooting for him and the 49ers in the NFC.

No he doesn't. He was a puppet coordinator for Belichick one year. This is his chance to prove himself. Be interesting to see how he performs under a guy who was probably over-promoted from the DL to head coach. 

NE, NY, CLE, now SF. He's the best puppet on the planet I guess.

One year coordinator. Was a terrible head coach in NY & Cle., then out of football before landing a consultant job with the 49ers. Then a TE coach job. He sucks, and has no one to lean on in his new job. 

One year coordinator. Was a terrible head coach in NY & Cle., then out of football before landing a consultant job with the 49ers. Then a TE coach job. He sucks, and has no one to lean on in his new job. 

Disagree. I think he did a good job here as a HC, he did a good job in CLE as a HC. But that's besides the point. He's among the best and most knowledgable coaches in football when it comes to defense.

Disagree. I think he did a good job here as a HC, he did a good job in CLE as a HC. But that's besides the point. He's among the best and most knowledgable coaches in football when it comes to defense.

Couldn't make the playoffs with a HOF QB during the only season in which the Pats did not have Brady, and lost to New England with Matt Cassel at QB who hadn't started a game since HS.  Yeah...those were the days.

Lolol! Mangini mythology is funny sh*t.

Yeah Daballhawk's post really makes you wonder about some jet fans. Mangini was awful here, worse in Cleveland and everyone has skipped town in San Francisco since he was named defensive coordinator but yeah the 49ers aren't headed to a 4-12 season

He was basically handed the division....had a HOF QB and no Brady to compete with as a "defensive genius" and missed the playoffs.

You realize Favre had a torn bicep The drop off in production was obvious

Left-handed Brett Favre would still have been the best QB in that division with Brady down.

giphy.gif

Cool "x"

Dude stop. When you're hurt youre hurt.

I guess that's why Mangini lost to Matt Cassel and his defense fell apart down the stretch.  He was horrible.

Only thing I thought stopped us.  Favre does not get hurt we had a serious chance.   Defense was good enough IMHO.

Defense was horrible down the stretch...couldn't stop a nose bleed in the most critical games of the season.  Well, except for when they played the Seneca Wallace led Seahawks...they shut him down...got trampled by everybody else.

No.  No he wasn't. 

You're right...I was excluding Cassell and thinking of Pennington/Edwards.  Cassell put up good numbers..thanks largely in part to Mangini's defense.

Defense was horrible down the stretch...couldn't stop a nose bleed in the most critical games of the season.  Well, except for when they played the Seneca Wallace led Seahawks...they shut him down...got trampled by everybody else.

True.  But then again neither could Rex's defense when needed most.  I guess until we actually win a championship eventually the defense will fail us.  If it didn't then we would be champions.  Never had an offense capable of making up for shabby defense.  Still most likely don't.

True.  But then again neither could Rex's defense when needed most.  I guess until we actually win a championship eventually the defense will fail us.  If it didn't then we would be champions.  Never had an offense capable of making up for shabby defense.  Still most likely don't.

I'm truly amazed that this team is going to hand the keys to Geno w/o any competition after the money they spent to import so much talent. 

I'm truly amazed that this team is going to hand the keys to Geno w/o any competition after the money they spent to import so much talent. 

Really?  I don;t like it but not sure what the option is.  Fitz is nothing more than a journeyman jag.  Getting behind him is like thinking the postman is your best friend because he comes to your house everyday and says high,.  Simm is poo and the new kid is a project at very best.  With what we have Geno is the best choice if for nothing else he has more experience than the young guys and less crappy years than Fitz.  Probably only because he played less but still. 

Really?  I don;t like it but not sure what the option is.  Fitz is nothing more than a journeyman jag.  Getting behind him is like thinking the postman is your best friend because he comes to your house everyday and says high,.  Simm is poo and the new kid is a project at very best.  With what we have Geno is the best choice if for nothing else he has more experience than the young guys and less crappy years than Fitz.  Probably only because he played less but still. 

If Gailey can work his magic and get Geno to eleveate his level of play to that of a journeyman JAG then that would be great.  Up until now, he's largely played at a "why is this guy in the NFL" level.  He's a Jet so I'll root for him and I would have even liked to see him win a head to head competition with Fitz because it may have meant he'd improved....but to just hand it over to him?  Totally didn't expect the new regime to go the Rex route.

If Gailey can work his magic and get Geno to eleveate his level of play to that of a journeyman JAG then that would be great.  Up until now, he's largely played at a "why is this guy in the NFL" level.  He's a Jet so I'll root for him and I would have even liked to see him win a head to head competition with Fitz because it may have meant he'd improved....but to just hand it over to him?  Totally didn't expect the new regime to go the Rex route.

I can see that. At the same time Journeyman JAG level is the default.  More of something you fall back to.  I guess what the coaches saw amounts to Geno having a higher ceiling?  Ok, fine.  Felt a little dumb even typing that.  LOL

I can see that. At the same time Journeyman JAG level is the default.  More of something you fall back to.  I guess what the coaches saw amounts to Geno having a higher ceiling?  Ok, fine.  Felt a little dumb even typing that.  LOL

I want the guy to succeed...but far more reason to expect he'll.  Hope I'm wrong.

Archived